Atlanta doesn’t tank. V1? Or just containment thread?

Moderators: loserX, Andre Roberstan, HartfordWhalers, BullyKing, Texas Chuck, MoneyTalks41890, Mamba4Goat, pacers33granger, Trader_Joe

HadAnEffectHere
Sixth Man
And1: 894

Re: Atlanta doesn’t tank. V1? Or just containment thread? 

Post#21 » by HadAnEffectHere » Mon May 13, 2024 1:48 am

Lakers get: Murray
Hawks get: Reaves, right to swap their pick (which is the worst of the Spurs-Hawks picks in 2026) with Lakers pick
Pistons get: Gabe Vincent, two seconds from the Hawks

Atlanta: Save tax space, get some good assets
LA: Get a "third star" (I'm not a big Murray fan to be honest...) without giving up too much
Detroit: Use cap space efficiently and hope Vincent can bounce back and provide value.
jayjaysee
King of the Trade Board
And1: 5,696

Post#22 » by jayjaysee » Mon May 13, 2024 1:48 am

kristov wrote:
jayjaysee wrote:
kristov wrote:I seriously doubt Atlanta is going to pay the tax to keep this team together.

Do you mean not paying the tax if they add Butler and don’t lose anyone that matters?

Because the current team - with the number one pick - won’t have tax issues for 3-4 years..

The fake new team - would definitely be worth paying the tax for a couple years if Jalen earns a big enough contract that they are over the tax. Then KD or Butler expire and they drop below the tax.

#1 adds 12.6m which gets them to 175m. Tax line is 178m so cut the bottom guys and replace with min salary players and maybe they can add 5m to their roster. And their current roster is mediocre so I can't see the first pick in a mediocre draft making much of an impact

The tax level is actually 172. 178.6 is the apron. So they need to move someone mediocre.

I’d guess if they draft Sarr - they’re moving on from one of Capela or OO. Likely Capela due to contract size and age..

If they’re drafting Zacc, it’s Hunter..

So while the lottery added 6-7 million and made them make some decisions - I’d guess the team is happy being forced to make those decisions like most teams would be.
psman2
General Manager
And1: 4,970

Post#23 » by psman2 » Mon May 13, 2024 2:18 am

jayjaysee wrote:
kristov wrote:
jayjaysee wrote:
Do you mean not paying the tax if they add Butler and don’t lose anyone that matters?

Because the current team - with the number one pick - won’t have tax issues for 3-4 years..

The fake new team - would definitely be worth paying the tax for a couple years if Jalen earns a big enough contract that they are over the tax. Then KD or Butler expire and they drop below the tax.

#1 adds 12.6m which gets them to 175m. Tax line is 178m so cut the bottom guys and replace with min salary players and maybe they can add 5m to their roster. And their current roster is mediocre so I can't see the first pick in a mediocre draft making much of an impact

The tax level is actually 172. 178.6 is the apron. So they need to move someone mediocre.

I’d guess if they draft Sarr - they’re moving on from one of Capela or OO. Likely Capela due to contract size and age..

If they’re drafting Zacc, it’s Hunter..

So while the lottery added 6-7 million and made them make some decisions - I’d guess the team is happy being forced to make those decisions like most teams would be.

I think Memphis would be in on OO/2nds for pick 9/Kennard. I don't think Memphis will really be in on Capela, too expensive and in decline. I am sure Atlanta would prefer to move Capela but might find the market rather tepid and might pivot and move OO. Wish OO was bigger but he is developing a 3pt shot and can guard in space ok...those two things are skills we covet.

Could do Zaire/Konchar instead of Kennard to save Atlanta a few million.
Chi town
RealGM
And1: 7,086

Post#24 » by Chi town » Mon May 13, 2024 2:22 am

Godaddycurse wrote:I think you still have to break up murray/young even if you dont tank. Chemistry between them is just not there

Trae only works with all defense and shooting around him.

I think the Hawks replace Trae with a 3D shooter and make Murray the PG and they are a solid playoff team every year. If that 1st pick hits they are in great shape.

KD is done. Waste of time trading for him.
jayjaysee
King of the Trade Board

Post#25 » by jayjaysee » Mon May 13, 2024 2:44 am

psman2 wrote:I think Memphis would be in on OO/2nds for pick 9/Kennard..

That is a good offer and think Atlanta owes something back. And would pay Detroit to take Luke on..

If Atlanta is trading Sarr for win now talent, being able to offer Luke+Sarr+9th feels pretty strong without looking at future picks..

The Capela market seemed soft last year and likely worse this year. If you’re drafting Sarr - maybe you’re more comfortable trading OO.

Capela.. I don’t even know what a market looks like except shoving him in with Murray to NOP.

Maybe it’s still OKC if they strike out on all the other options. But OO is such a better target for them as well..
Texas Chuck
Senior Mod - NBA TnT Forum
Senior Mod - NBA TnT Forum
And1: 90,220

Post#26 » by Texas Chuck » Mon May 13, 2024 2:50 am

jayjaysee wrote:Capela.. I don’t even know what a market looks like except shoving him in with Murray to NOP.

If Claxton leaves in FA, I could see the Nets saying we'll just take on the money for one year. They don't have incentive to tank and he doesn't hurt big 25 plans.
ThunderBolt wrote:I’m going to let some of you in on a little secret I learned on realgm. If you don’t like a thread, not only do you not have to comment but you don’t even have to open it and read it. You’re welcome.
CP War Hawks
Analyst
And1: 1,442

Post#27 » by CP War Hawks » Mon May 13, 2024 4:20 am

Not sure where this trade Trae is coming from. The plan was to trade DJM during the deadline, but it seemed to be a mandate teams weren't going to come off their non role guys during that period, now it should be different.

Fields traded for the 2nd rd Mo Gueye and gave him a guaranteed four year deal. He really loves that prototype and Sarr is that 2x. All that to say I don't think the pick is up for grabs unless it's in clear favor for the Hawks.
K_chile22
RealGM
And1: 7,966

Post#28 » by K_chile22 » Mon May 13, 2024 4:40 am

I doubt capela has much value league wide anymore, think it makes more sense to trade okangwu and keep Clint as your backup big. Try and swing for a wing that can defend for OO+Hunter while saving money
Captain Ballmer
Pro Prospect
And1: 750

Post#29 » by Captain Ballmer » Mon May 13, 2024 5:23 am

If there was any prospect you could get some hype yourself, I'd trade Kawhi for pick#1 and salary fillers like Hunter&Capela. Get new arena with new logo & branding with a new face. But there isn't one.
2023 Clippers W/L Count (51-31)
(Russ at bench 42-15)
without PG13 3-3
Without Kawhi 7-4
Without Russ 6-6
Threezus
Veteran
And1: 1,626

Post#30 » by Threezus » Mon May 13, 2024 5:35 am

Hmm is their any possible way to get Kat without Trae, Johnson, or the 1st pick involved? Something with Murray + other things added in. or is that to tall of a tree to climb to get a player of his talents without those 3.
Monky15
Starter
And1: 697

Post#31 » by Monky15 » Mon May 13, 2024 11:13 am

Houston out: Eason, #3
Houston in: Griffin, #1
Houston moves up to ensure they draft the guy they want.

Brooklyn out: Bridges
Brooklyn in: Capella, #3
Brooklyn cash in on Bridges while clearing some more future cap space and follow this up with a SnT with Claxton for more assets. Capella is a fine stop gap C for a season. #3 might seem high for Bridges but I could see Spurs, Pistons and Blazers all having interest in Bridges.

Atlanta out: Capella, #1
Atlanta in: Bridges, Eason
While normally a #1 pick would get you a Star this isn't that type of draft and I think the Hawks could really use Bridges 2 way play. Eason gives them another young switchable big who can be around for a while or could even start depending on what happens with Murray
Young, Murray, Bridges, Johnson, OO
Bogdanovic, Hunter, Eason, MLE
If Young can't make the playoffs with that depth, defence and shooting then he's a bust and they need to start over.
jayjaysee
King of the Trade Board

Post#32 » by jayjaysee » Mon May 13, 2024 11:22 am

Threezus wrote:Hmm is their any possible way to get Kat without Trae, Johnson, or the 1st pick involved? Something with Murray + other things added in. or is that to tall of a tree to climb to get a player of his talents without those 3.

Atlanta can always go back to the Murray, OO, picks offer if Minnesota makes KAT available. Still can trade 3 firsts, outside of Sarr, so they have the value to get that done.
LightTheBeam
RealGM
And1: 10,631

Post#33 » by LightTheBeam » Mon May 13, 2024 12:14 pm

Feels to me like the only way atlanta trades the pick is if someone we aren't expecting shakes lose.

35 year old jimmy?
Expiring lauri?
Ingram? Really?

Unless they feel this is Anthony Bennett draft, there's just no way you can justify any of these. Lauri is the most interesting if there's some wink wink in place he's going to resign. But my god if they trade the pick for ingram, I'll feel heavily for hawks fans.
LightTheBeam
RealGM
And1: 10,631

Post#34 » by LightTheBeam » Mon May 13, 2024 12:16 pm

jayjaysee wrote:
Threezus wrote:Hmm is their any possible way to get Kat without Trae, Johnson, or the 1st pick involved? Something with Murray + other things added in. or is that to tall of a tree to climb to get a player of his talents without those 3.

Atlanta can always go back to the Murray, OO, picks offer if Minnesota makes KAT available. Still can trade 3 firsts, outside of Sarr, so they have the value to get that done.

I see this as much more likely. And I'd bet Minnesota would strongly consider moving off him. Kat had a few good games in middle of these playoffs, but it's ANTs team and kat isn't a reliable #2. I'd take a murray centered trade immediately if I was them.
brackdan70
RealGM
And1: 8,757

Post#35 » by brackdan70 » Mon May 13, 2024 12:41 pm

On paper that seems like a team that shouldn’t tank. They now have a nice trade chip in that #1 pick. Not sure if any of those trades you shared could materialize but Atlanta should be very active in trying to improve imo.
Sign here
Celts17Pride
RealGM
And1: 64,331

Post#36 » by Celts17Pride » Mon May 13, 2024 1:14 pm

brackdan70 wrote:On paper that seems like a team that shouldn’t tank. They now have a nice trade chip in that #1 pick. Not sure if any of those trades you shared could materialize but Atlanta should be very active in trying to improve imo.

I personally would go the other direction starting with a Trae Young trade. Hawks team is going nowhere. One missed playoff and three play-ins the last 5 years.
brackdan70
RealGM
And1: 8,757

Post#37 » by brackdan70 » Mon May 13, 2024 1:25 pm

Celts17Pride wrote:
brackdan70 wrote:On paper that seems like a team that shouldn’t tank. They now have a nice trade chip in that #1 pick. Not sure if any of those trades you shared could materialize but Atlanta should be very active in trying to improve imo.

I personally would go the other direction starting with a Trae Young trade. Hawks team is going nowhere. One missed playoff and three play-ins the last 5 years.

And what happened the other year?
Sign here
Celts17Pride
RealGM
And1: 64,331

Post#38 » by Celts17Pride » Mon May 13, 2024 1:27 pm

brackdan70 wrote:
Celts17Pride wrote:

They were a 5th seed.
Ball4life32
Analyst
And1: 2,505

Post#39 » by Ball4life32 » Mon May 13, 2024 1:44 pm

Celts17Pride wrote:
brackdan70 wrote:
Celts17Pride wrote:I personally would go the other direction starting with a Trae Young trade. Hawks team is going nowhere. One missed playoff and three play-ins the last 5 years.

They were a 5th seed.

Yeah and that’s the last time hawks had a mediocre defense considering Trae guarantees you a top 10 offense as a #1.
Astaluego
Junior
And1: 158

Post#40 » by Astaluego » Mon May 13, 2024 1:45 pm

K_chile22 wrote:I doubt capela has much value league wide anymore, think it makes more sense to trade okangwu and keep Clint as your backup big. Try and swing for a wing that can defend for OO+Hunter while saving money

Sarr is more of a 4 than a 5 in my opinion, something like JJJ...at least not a full-time 5
Old Mike Lorenzo

Return to Trades and Transactions