Jarrett Allen for Brandon Ingram

Moderators: loserX, Andre Roberstan, HartfordWhalers, BullyKing, Texas Chuck, MoneyTalks41890, Mamba4Goat, pacers33granger, Trader_Joe

esvl
Sixth Man
And1: 391

Re: Jarrett Allen for Brandon Ingram 

Post#21 » by esvl » Tue May 14, 2024 1:59 pm

Ingram is the last of NO problems
greg4012
Lead Assistant
And1: 8,219

Post#22 » by greg4012 » Tue May 14, 2024 5:54 pm

toooskies wrote:
Euphonetiks wrote:In Will Guillory’s Athletic article with Mike Scotto, they specifically mentioned Allen as not being enough to get Ingram.

As a Pels fan, I don’t like the fit of Zion-Herb-Allen for spacing purposes and prefer not to trade Ingram for a Center, but Griff has poked around Allen before so who knows.

Allen is a more recent all-star with a better postseason performance this year with a better contract and fits better for NOP. Allen not being enough is delusion.

Hot take: a paint dwelling center playing solid for 4 games in round 1 and then getting injured when the concerns about paint-dwelling centers is that they can't hold up or impact the game as effectively in the playoffs is not an endorsement for said players playoff impact.
BK_2020
RealGM
And1: 14,869

Post#23 » by BK_2020 » Tue May 14, 2024 6:07 pm

HadAnEffectHere wrote:I think we're moving into an era where 32%ish three point spotup shooters just aren't guarded because half-court offense is too efficient to care about those shots. So there's only like 5 centers in the entire league that have the gravity you need on offense for Zion.

Jokic
Embiid
Wemby
Chet
Porzingis

And the Pels can get 0 of those guys.

So I'm not sure what the Pels do about their center situation.

Every center in the NBA other than those five guys is a bad fit with Zion, idk.

You are forgetting KAT.
jbk1234
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 32,696

Post#24 » by jbk1234 » Tue May 14, 2024 6:11 pm

greg4012 wrote:
toooskies wrote:
Euphonetiks wrote:In Will Guillory’s Athletic article with Mike Scotto, they specifically mentioned Allen as not being enough to get Ingram.

As a Pels fan, I don’t like the fit of Zion-Herb-Allen for spacing purposes and prefer not to trade Ingram for a Center, but Griff has poked around Allen before so who knows.

Allen is a more recent all-star with a better postseason performance this year with a better contract and fits better for NOP. Allen not being enough is delusion.

Hot take: a paint dwelling center playing solid for 4 games in round 1 and then getting injured when the concerns about paint-dwelling centers is that they can't hold up or impact the game as effectively in the playoffs is not an endorsement for said players playoff impact.

Allen was the most impactful player for the Cavs in Games 1 & 2 of the Orlando series. Ingram was just bad across all 4 games for the Pelicans. I'll take the player who actually gets you a couple Ws in the playoffs.
cbosh4mvp wrote:
Jarret Allen isn’t winning you anything. Garland won’t show up in the playoffs. Mobley is a glorified dunk man. Mitchell has some experience but is a liability on defense. To me, the Cavs are a treadmill team.
ConSarnit
Assistant Coach
And1: 3,828

Post#25 » by ConSarnit » Tue May 14, 2024 6:16 pm

If Cleveland is trying to keep Mitchell can they even afford this? Ingram is probably going to be looking for a near max which means the Cavs would be looking at $160m+ in salary for Garland/Mitchell/Ingram/Mobley. Add in Strus and you're looking at about $10m to fill out the rest of roster before you hit the tax.
HadAnEffectHere
Sixth Man
And1: 919

Post#26 » by HadAnEffectHere » Tue May 14, 2024 6:16 pm

BK_2020 wrote:
HadAnEffectHere wrote:I think we're moving into an era where 32%ish three point spotup shooters just aren't guarded because half-court offense is too efficient to care about those shots. So there's only like 5 centers in the entire league that have the gravity you need on offense for Zion.

Jokic
Embiid
Wemby
Chet
Porzingis

You are forgetting KAT.

KAT cannot block shots and has to play PF or next to an elite shot blocking PF.
Euphonetiks
Pro Prospect
And1: 377

Post#27 » by Euphonetiks » Tue May 14, 2024 6:22 pm

jbk1234 wrote:Allen was the most impactful player for the Cavs in Games 1 & 2 of the Orlando series. Ingram was just bad across all 4 games for the Pelicans. I'll take the player who actually gets you a couple Ws in the playoffs.

A whole lot of recency bias goign on here. Ingram was coming back early off injury and had to deal with Dort. But Ingram's past play in the Suns series was better than anything Jarrett Allen has ever contributed. Meanwhile Allen's performance in the Knicks series was as bad as Ingram's OKC series off injury.

Cavs can keep Allen. I have very little interest in moving Ingram for a non-spacing big.
Euphonetiks
Pro Prospect
And1: 377

Post#28 » by Euphonetiks » Tue May 14, 2024 6:30 pm

Jokic
Embiid
Wemby
Chet
Porzingis

Which is why I don't want to use Ingram to acquire a center. We had the 6th ranked defense last year trotting out Jonas and Larry. I would rather use Ingram to get a guard and go piecemeal at C until we can find/develop a better fitting big with Zion.

If we reduce salary with an Ingram trade for a guard, I would make a strong offer to Jalen Smith this offseason and then maybe gamble on a Robert Williams trade.
toooskies
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,764

Post#29 » by toooskies » Tue May 14, 2024 6:38 pm

greg4012 wrote:
toooskies wrote:

I mean, if we're talking about how well a player will hold up, we can definitely talk about how Ingram hasn't played 70 games in a season since 2016-17.
greg4012
Lead Assistant

Post#30 » by greg4012 » Tue May 14, 2024 6:46 pm

toooskies wrote:
greg4012 wrote:
toooskies wrote:Allen is a more recent all-star with a better postseason performance this year with a better contract and fits better for NOP. Allen not being enough is delusion.

I mean, if we're talking about how well a player will hold up, we can definitely talk about how Ingram hasn't played 70 games in a season since 2016-17.

We def can. So both the fact that paint-dwelling centers are dinosaurs that don't hold up in the playoffs and the fact that BI has durability issues have now been talked about. Shall we fest?
jbk1234
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#31 » by jbk1234 » Tue May 14, 2024 6:58 pm

Euphonetiks wrote:
jbk1234 wrote:Allen was the most impactful player for the Cavs in Games 1 & 2 of the Orlando series. Ingram was just bad across all 4 games for the Pelicans. I'll take the player who actually gets you a couple Ws in the playoffs.

A whole lot of recency bias goign on here. Ingram was coming back early off injury and had to deal with Dort. But Ingram's past play in the Suns series was better than anything Jarrett Allen has ever contributed. Meanwhile Allen's performance in the Knicks series was as bad as Ingram's OKC series off injury.

Cavs can keep Allen. I have very little interest in moving Ingram for a non-spacing big.

Allen had 38 rebounds to go along with 32 points on only 20 shots, against the Magic frontcourt, in the first two games. I'm happy to keep him.
cbosh4mvp wrote:
Jarret Allen isn’t winning you anything. Garland won’t show up in the playoffs. Mobley is a glorified dunk man. Mitchell has some experience but is a liability on defense. To me, the Cavs are a treadmill team.
jbk1234
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#32 » by jbk1234 » Tue May 14, 2024 7:00 pm

greg4012 wrote:
toooskies wrote:
greg4012 wrote:

We def can. So both the fact that paint-dwelling centers are dinosaurs that don't hold up in the playoffs and the fact that BI has durability issues have now been talked about. Shall we fest?

He caught two elbows in the exact same section of his ribs from the Wagner Brothers. I'd be curious as to which players would *hold up* against that.
cbosh4mvp wrote:
louc1970
Senior
And1: 192

Post#33 » by louc1970 » Tue May 14, 2024 7:00 pm

Allen for Ingram doesn’t fix Cleveland’s issue - Garland and Mitchell both needing the ball.
greg4012
Lead Assistant

Post#34 » by greg4012 » Tue May 14, 2024 7:06 pm

jbk1234 wrote:
greg4012 wrote:
toooskies wrote:I mean, if we're talking about how well a player will hold up, we can definitely talk about how Ingram hasn't played 70 games in a season since 2016-17.

He caught two elbows in the exact same section of his ribs from the Wagner Brothers. I'd be curious as to which players would *hold up* against that.

Use the anecdote to do the denial. I'm zoomed out looking at the big picture.
Skin
RealGM
And1: 8,664

Post#35 » by Skin » Tue May 14, 2024 8:06 pm

jbk1234 wrote:
Euphonetiks wrote:

Allen had 38 rebounds to go along with 32 points on only 20 shots, against the Magic frontcourt, in the first two games. I'm happy to keep him.

I wouldn't base productivity against the Magic backcourt. :lol:
toooskies
Assistant Coach

Post#36 » by toooskies » Tue May 14, 2024 8:40 pm

greg4012 wrote:
jbk1234 wrote:
greg4012 wrote:

The big picture is Brandon Ingram is more injury-prone than Allen, even adjusting for him playing a less impacting position.

Most of Allen's career injuries historically have been of the fluke variety-- bruised ribs, fractured finger after hitting it on the rim, then a peppering of sprained ankles and illnesses. Ingram's injuries have almost all been lower body injuries-- knees, ankles, Achilles, feet, hips. Those are more concerning wear-and-tear injuries than Allen's.
greg4012
Lead Assistant

Post#37 » by greg4012 » Tue May 14, 2024 10:48 pm

toooskies wrote:
greg4012 wrote:
jbk1234 wrote:

The big picture is Brandon Ingram is more injury-prone than Allen, even adjusting for him playing a less impacting position.

Most of Allen's career injuries historically have been of the fluke variety-- bruised ribs, fractured finger after hitting it on the rim, then a peppering of sprained ankles and illnesses. Ingram's injuries have almost all been lower body injuries-- knees, ankles, Achilles, feet, hips. Those are more concerning wear-and-tear injuries than Allen's.

And centers like Allen are still largely neutered as playoff bball advances.

Cool!
NYG
RealGM
And1: 2,698

Post#38 » by NYG » Tue May 14, 2024 11:58 pm

Pelicans get:
Trae Young
AJ Griffin

Hawks get:
Jarrett Allen
Caris LeVert
Larry Nance Jr.
2025 Unprotected Lakers First Round Draft Pick
2025 Unprotected Pelicans First Round Draft Pick
2027 Unprotected Bucks First Round Draft Pick

Cavaliers get:
Brandon Ingram
axeman23
Analyst
And1: 3,152

Post#39 » by axeman23 » Wed May 15, 2024 12:52 am

Zero interest in moving Allen for Ingram. Even with compensation coming back to the Cavs. Non-starter for me.
toooskies
Assistant Coach

Post#40 » by toooskies » Wed May 15, 2024 1:03 am

greg4012 wrote:
toooskies wrote:
greg4012 wrote:

And centers like Allen are still largely neutered as playoff bball advances.

Cool!

They are neutered because they often can't move their feet on the perimeter, are awful free throw shooters, or are zeroes on offense when they get schemed out of plays on defense.

None of that is true of Allen.

Return to Trades and Transactions