Kuzma+ to Detroit for #5

Moderators: MoneyTalks41890, Mamba4Goat, pacers33granger, Trader_Joe, loserX, Andre Roberstan, HartfordWhalers, BullyKing, Texas Chuck

psman2
General Manager
And1: 4,973

Re: Kuzma+ to Detroit for #5 

Post#21 » by psman2 » Tue May 14, 2024 10:32 pm

Godaddycurse wrote:Detroit can just sign derozan or Harris in FA and keep their pick

Rather sign Bridges with his baggage too than pay really anything for Kuz.
QMemphis
Junior
And1: 245

Post#22 » by QMemphis » Wed May 15, 2024 12:55 am

This is getting overboard, why in the world would a rebuilding team with cap space trade a top 5 pick for a role player. SMH
QMemphis
Junior
And1: 245

Post#23 » by QMemphis » Wed May 15, 2024 12:59 am

psman2 wrote:
Texas Chuck wrote:
psman2 wrote:Wild. This is what Deni could pull maybe.

Detroit shouldn't consider that either. The stuff Deni helps with has value to a good team. He's not going to do anything to lift a terrible one and the bargain contract will be done by the time they are ready especially if they punt on upside chances like this.

Now if the Spurs are going to get super aggressive, then them trading one of their lotto picks for Deni is logical. Though I have his value at 8, not 4.

I agree for the most part...but Deni is a good connector piece and could be worth pick #5ish in this draft to the right team. I don't think Memphis is in dire need of him anymore but would have offered 7 still if we stayed there and if we found another way to address our frontcourt needs. At least he is locked up for 4 years so there is an outside chance Det makes some noise with him under contract. But Detroit really should be in full tank still this coming year and hope to land a franchise guy still, have my doubts Cade is anything more than low end all star at his peak.

I think SA should tank one more year too unless some too good to pass up opportunities fall into their lap. Let these lottery picks play big minutes and even with Wemby's improvement they are likely a bottom 5 team again and get a chance at the top of what appears to be a strong lottery next year.

For the record I got Kuz worth a pick in the 18-25 range, inefficient scoring doesn't fetch much in trade these days. What is Kuzma worth as a 4/5th option on a decent team with his usage slashed? I think he is a 6th man on most good teams. But Rozier was moved for more value than I thought so if something like this happens I will admit I missed on this one too.

Deni was my target for us until Jaren said he wanted to play with a center. So now gotta find a big that allows him freedom to drive and also cover for him as the primary big defender.
UnbelievablyRAW
Analyst
And1: 3,679

Post#24 » by UnbelievablyRAW » Wed May 15, 2024 1:05 am

I think y'all are overrating how much value the #5 pick has in this draft. I think Wizards say no because they can probably get more than that or a better draft pick in a future draft
"Above average role player is now being paid like a superstar from one good playoff series. This will end up as one of the worst contracts in the league." paulbball on Pascal Siakam
BDM22
RealGM
And1: 4,356

Post#25 » by BDM22 » Wed May 15, 2024 10:07 am

UnbelievablyRAW wrote:I think y'all are overrating how much value the #5 pick has in this draft. I think Wizards say no because they can probably get more than that or a better draft pick in a future draft

Or you're overrating Kyle Kuzma?
PhillyNj
Sixth Man
And1: 560

Post#26 » by PhillyNj » Wed May 15, 2024 10:42 am

Kuzma doesn’t have anywhere close to top 5 pick. I seriously doubt he’d get a top ten.
I wouldn’t be surprised to see him traded for 2 SRP’s.
fanforlife
Sophomore
And1: 90

Post#27 » by fanforlife » Wed May 15, 2024 12:22 pm

I actually like this trade. Highly doubtful that the Pistons will get a better player than Kuzma in this year's draft given how weak it is. He would be coming home, adds consistent scoring which they sorely lack, and length at the wing. Perhaps the Wizards can be convinced to add their late first round pick, an early second round pick or a player to sweaten the deal. There has been speculation about the Pistons going after Brandon Ingram this off-season. I am not sure how much better Ingram really is that Kuzma. He is younger but the price to get him would be much higher assuming the Preds are even interested in trading him. I guess it will all depend on the moves the Pistons make before the draft, if any. They may need a center, for example.
BK_2020
RealGM
And1: 14,880

Post#28 » by BK_2020 » Wed May 15, 2024 1:04 pm

fanforlife wrote:I actually like this trade. Highly doubtful that the Pistons will get a better player than Kuzma in this year's draft given how weak it is. He would be coming home, adds consistent scoring which they sorely lack, and length at the wing. Perhaps the Wizards can be convinced to add their late first round pick, an early second round pick or a player to sweaten the deal. There has been speculation about the Pistons going after Brandon Ingram this off-season. I am not sure how much better Ingram really is that Kuzma. He is younger but the price to get him would be much higher assuming the Preds are even interested in trading him. I guess it will all depend on the moves the Pistons make before the draft, if any. They may need a center, for example.

Kuzma is a fungible asset. Every year there's players like him in UFA, e.g. Oubre, Hayward, Tobias Harris, Miles Bridges, Derozan etc. are all available as UFA.
I wouldn't draft Kuzma with any FRP, why would you trade a 5th overall pick for him?
penbeast0
Senior Mod - NBA Player Comparisons
Senior Mod - NBA Player Comparisons
And1: 8,824

Post#29 » by penbeast0 » Wed May 15, 2024 1:18 pm

fanforlife wrote:I actually like this trade. Highly doubtful that the Pistons will get a better player than Kuzma in this year's draft given how weak it is. He would be coming home, adds consistent scoring which they sorely lack, and length at the wing. Perhaps the Wizards can be convinced to add their late first round pick, an early second round pick or a player to sweaten the deal. There has been speculation about the Pistons going after Brandon Ingram this off-season. I am not sure how much better Ingram really is that Kuzma. He is younger but the price to get him would be much higher assuming the Preds are even interested in trading him. I guess it will all depend on the moves the Pistons make before the draft, if any. They may need a center, for example.

The OP trade had Wizards adding the 1st they got from the Clippers.
“Most people use statistics like a drunk man uses a lamppost; more for support than illumination,” Andrew Lang.
axeman23
Analyst
And1: 3,152

Post#30 » by axeman23 » Wed May 15, 2024 1:47 pm

Did you miss the "1" in front of the "5", OP? I suspect Kuz's value would be somewhere around the middle of those 2 marks in all honesty, something like 9-12? Maybe 8 since SA has 2 lottery picks, but I doubt Kuz and Pop would get along long-term...
wemby
Senior
And1: 359

Post#31 » by wemby » Wed May 15, 2024 2:35 pm

If I'm Detroit, I take the best shooting wing available (Risacher, Cody Williams... even Buzelis who hasn't shot well this year but did in the past) and move Duren and Ivey instead. Those 2 don't fit as modern NBA winning pieces, as neither of them are good defenders or shooters, but they're young, athletic and flashy enough that someone might take the bait.
theBigLip
Forum Mod - Pistons
Forum Mod - Pistons
And1: 2,891

Post#32 » by theBigLip » Wed May 15, 2024 3:26 pm

Pistons can get 3 good players w their cap space this summer. Even if Kuzma is given to the Pistons, I’m not sure if it’s a good move. They should be able to get better players than Kuzma.
axeman23
Analyst
And1: 3,152

Post#33 » by axeman23 » Wed May 15, 2024 3:39 pm

[quote="wemby"]If I'm Detroit, I take the best shooting wing available (Risacher, Cody Williams... even Buzelis who hasn't shot well this year but did in the past) and move Duren and Ivey instead. Those 2 don't fit as modern NBA winning pieces, as neither of them are good defenders or shooters, but they're young, athletic and flashy enough that someone might take the bait.[/quote]

Maybe DET can dump them on Washington? That seems to be Washingtons thing... :lol:
Kalamazoo317
Veteran
And1: 1,401

Post#34 » by Kalamazoo317 » Wed May 15, 2024 3:46 pm

Yeah, I could see this trade making sense for the Pistons if it were like Ivey instead of the #5.
wemby
Senior
And1: 359

Post#35 » by wemby » Wed May 15, 2024 3:50 pm

Ivey makes perfect sense for Washington as a gamble. If I'm Detroit, I'd offer Ivey + something for Deni Avdija. Hell, make it Duren and Ivey for Avdija, Kispert and Kuzma
gswhoops
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 3,922

Post#36 » by gswhoops » Wed May 15, 2024 3:59 pm

Even if you think there's only a 1% chance that whoever you draft at #5 is better than Kuzma...you know Kuzma isn't a needle mover. You have to take the chance that the guy you get is.

(And a side note, if you think your FO only has a 1% chance of identifying 5 players in a given draft class who will be better than Kyle Kuzma, you need to fire your entire scouting department ASAP).
Kalamazoo317
Veteran
And1: 1,401

Post#37 » by Kalamazoo317 » Thu May 16, 2024 4:02 am

wemby wrote:Ivey makes perfect sense for Washington as a gamble. If I'm Detroit, I'd offer Ivey + something for Deni Avdija. Hell, make it Duren and Ivey for Avdija, Kispert and Kuzma

That's fairly intriguing. Eats of a solid amount of cap space for the Pistons (add about 32 million, basically) but for a roster that fits a lot better, I think. Fanspo trade machine has it as a 0 win difference for both teams.

Gives the Pistons a 9 man rotation of Cade, Ausar, Beefstew, Kuzma, Avdija, Kispert, Fonteccio, Grimes, Sasser with the opportunity to get a defensive anchor of a 5 in the draft or a spacing guard and less need to go in for a wing who may or may not be able to space. And still enough money for one impact free agent. I'd be into it.
benultimate
Bench Warmer
And1: 860

Post#38 » by benultimate » Thu May 16, 2024 7:16 am

This reminds me of the trade #5 for Randy Foye & Mike Miller, which the Wiz were on the other side of. Maybe this is the square up
9 and 20
Rookie
And1: 865

Post#39 » by 9 and 20 » Thu May 16, 2024 8:59 am

Wiz fan here. Would take more than Ivey to snag Deni from the Wiz.

Understand not trading #5 for Kuz - I wouldn't do it either if I were Detroit. But it seems to me they need some vet help. Adding another non-Lebron level 19 year old to a 15 win team isn't going to do much. With the impending max contract for Cade, seems like the Pistons should think about balancing win now with the long view. If not Kuz, then maybe they should trade for the best forward vet they can get if they're committed to Ivey. Or trade Ivey for the best vet they can get and keep #5.
Can't say I do. Who else gonna shoot?
BK_2020
RealGM
And1: 14,880

Post#40 » by BK_2020 » Thu May 16, 2024 11:12 am

9 and 20 wrote:Wiz fan here. Would take more than Ivey to snag Deni from the Wiz.

Understand not trading #5 for Kuz - I wouldn't do it either if I were Detroit. But it seems to me they need some vet help. Adding another non-Lebron level 19 year old to a 15 win team isn't going to do much. With the impending max contract for Cade, seems like the Pistons should think about balancing win now with the long view. If not Kuz, then maybe they should trade for the best forward vet they can get if they're committed to Ivey. Or trade Ivey for the best vet they can get and keep #5.

Adding Kuzma won't do much either considering the Wizards who had Kuzma was a 15 win team.

Return to Trades and Transactions