Donovan Mitchell to the Nets, Lakers, Heat or Rockets?

Moderators: Trader_Joe, loserX, Andre Roberstan, HartfordWhalers, BullyKing, Texas Chuck, MoneyTalks41890, Mamba4Goat, pacers33granger

jayjaysee
King of the Trade Board
And1: 5,722

Re: Donovan Mitchell to the Nets, Lakers, Heat or Rockets? 

Post#21 » by jayjaysee » Wed May 15, 2024 11:54 pm

NYG wrote:How high could Cleveland get using Green and 20?

Think that’s the wrong question.

“What’s the best wing Cleveland could get for Green and 20 and whatever other draft capital outside out 3rd Houston adds” is the question
LarsV8
General Manager
And1: 3,948

Post#22 » by LarsV8 » Thu May 16, 2024 12:01 am

While I am sure we will bid, Mitchell is an expiring contract.

You can expect offers to be roughly 1/3 of what Cleveland originally paid.
jayjaysee
King of the Trade Board
And1: 5,722

Post#23 » by jayjaysee » Thu May 16, 2024 12:01 am

But Houston offer for Trae and Mitchell would be similar IMO. I think despite the Trae valuation by some, they have similar value due to contracts?

Assuming Zac and Sarr are gone at 3rd, I think Cleveland shops 3rd. Trade back and still draft Cody Williams or such while adding some assete, or just trade out completely and get Bridges or such..

If either are there, you draft them and trade the other value for a vet that can play important minutes on the wings.

Garland and Mobley putting up such a good fight with no real help feels like it should really matter here though.
LarsV8
General Manager
And1: 3,948

Post#24 » by LarsV8 » Thu May 16, 2024 12:02 am

Trae is better and has a better contract situation.
HadAnEffectHere
Sixth Man
And1: 927

Post#25 » by HadAnEffectHere » Thu May 16, 2024 12:13 am

LarsV8 wrote:Trae is better and has a better contract situation.

Mitchell is 40 pounds heavier and has the ability to defend when healthy and motivated whereas Trae does not.
Netaman
Analyst
And1: 1,083

Post#26 » by Netaman » Thu May 16, 2024 12:14 am

DowJones wrote:
Netaman wrote:
jbk1234 wrote:Brooklyn has the ability to make the best offer. Whether they will remains another matter.

Windhorst saying they will puts me in a pretty confident position they will make a strong offer. One of the Net beat reporters today put out there that Cleveland was one of the teams that put an offer on Cam Thomas after his rookie year, if CLE likes him and wants draft picks, that puts the Nets in a really strong position.

My guess at a Net offer is same as it's been for a while:

1 young roster player on rookie deal (presumably CamT)
+ 3 FRPs (1 of them a PHO pick between 27-29)
+ CLE preference on salary filler (CamJ or Schroder+DFS)

If Cleveland can get Thomas, some rotation players, and some futures that can help convert into someone like Ingram, that seems like a really strong pivot off Mitchell if he won't extend there.

Cavs need to demand the 2027 and 2029 PHX firsts. Nets can keep Thomas. If the Cavs can’t get both of those picks then I would be out. The Nets don’t have much that interests me outside of those PHX picks. Cam Johnson and DFS would be the filler for Cleveland. Cavs might try to get Clowny as well, and maybe they could depending on what other teams offer.

If Nets can keep CamT I think they’d do 27+29.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
NYG
RealGM
And1: 2,702

Post#27 » by NYG » Thu May 16, 2024 12:17 am

Netaman wrote:
DowJones wrote:
Netaman wrote:
Windhorst saying they will puts me in a pretty confident position they will make a strong offer. One of the Net beat reporters today put out there that Cleveland was one of the teams that put an offer on Cam Thomas after his rookie year, if CLE likes him and wants draft picks, that puts the Nets in a really strong position.

If Cleveland can get Thomas, some rotation players, and some futures that can help convert into someone like Ingram, that seems like a really strong pivot off Mitchell if he won't extend there.

Cavs need to demand the 2027 and 2029 PHX firsts. Nets can keep Thomas. If the Cavs can’t get both of those picks then I would be out. The Nets don’t have much that interests me outside of those PHX picks. Cam Johnson and DFS would be the filler for Cleveland. Cavs might try to get Clowny as well, and maybe they could depending on what other teams offer.

Simmons, '27 Suns 1st and '29 Suns 1st plus what for Mitchell?
jredsaz
General Manager
And1: 2,812

Post#28 » by jredsaz » Thu May 16, 2024 12:22 am

Karmaloop wrote:
jredsaz wrote:I just don’t see the Heat or Lakers having the ammo.

1 year of Mitchell without a guarantee to re-sign isn't that valuable IMO. The Cavs aren't going to get back similar value to what they gave up.

I think he will agree to re-sign with multiple teams and they will have a bidding war. Spida is really good. He has a lot of value.
DowJones
RealGM
And1: 6,874

Post#29 » by DowJones » Thu May 16, 2024 12:25 am

NYG wrote:
DowJones wrote:
Netaman wrote:

What would you need in addition to Green, 3 and Brooks from Houston if the '27 and '29 Suns 1sts were off the table from Brooklyn?

For me personally, Green/Brooks/#3/a future 1st would be tough for Miami or LA to beat. I am sure the Cavs would push for Eason or Whitmore to be part of that deal instead of the future 1st, but I would personally be ok with Green/Brooks/#3/future 1st if the Nets don't want to make those PHX picks available.

This draft is really bad though. I took a look at the mock drafts and nobody excites me at #3. Maybe Castle for the Cavs? Can I talk myself into Ron Holland or this Matas guy? I don't think I can.
Netaman
Analyst

Post#30 » by Netaman » Thu May 16, 2024 12:26 am

NYG wrote:
Netaman wrote:
DowJones wrote:

Mitchell presumably agreeing to extend in Brooklyn.

NYG
RealGM

Post#31 » by NYG » Thu May 16, 2024 12:26 am

LarsV8 wrote:Trae is better and has a better contract situation.

What's Houston's offer for Trae?
DowJones
RealGM

Post#32 » by DowJones » Thu May 16, 2024 12:26 am

jredsaz wrote:
Karmaloop wrote:
jredsaz wrote:I just don’t see the Heat or Lakers having the ammo.

1 year of Mitchell without a guarantee to re-sign isn't that valuable IMO. The Cavs aren't going to get back similar value to what they gave up.

I think he will agree to re-sign with multiple teams and they will have a bidding war. Spida is really good. He has a lot of value.

The only way this doesn't happen is if he picks 1 team. I don't think he will do that to the Cavs. By all accounts he has a good relationship with the people in Cleveland. I don't think he will pull a Lillard. If he did, I could see the Cavs rolling the dice vs taking a really low offer.
NYG
RealGM

Post#33 » by NYG » Thu May 16, 2024 12:28 am

DowJones wrote:
NYG wrote:
DowJones wrote:

What would you need in addition to Green, 3 and Brooks from Houston if the '27 and '29 Suns 1sts were off the table from Brooklyn?

For me personally, Green/Brooks/#3/a future 1st would be tough for Miami or LA to beat. I am sure the Cavs would push for Eason or Whitmore to be part of that deal instead of the future 1st, but I would personally be ok with Green/Brooks/#3/future 1st if the Nets don't want to make those PHX picks available.

This draft is really bad though. I took a look at the mock drafts and nobody excites me at #3. Maybe Castle for the Cavs? Can I talk myself into Ron Holland or this Matas guy? I don't think I can.

So is it Simmons and those 2 picks for Mitchell at the end of the day?
DowJones
RealGM

Post#34 » by DowJones » Thu May 16, 2024 12:28 am

NYG wrote:
Netaman wrote:
DowJones wrote:

I think the Cavs need to get real players back. Simmons is a no-go. Cam Johnson and DFS would have real value to the Cavs. The Cavs desperately need bigger wings that can shoot.
DowJones
RealGM

Post#35 » by DowJones » Thu May 16, 2024 12:30 am

NYG wrote:
DowJones wrote:
NYG wrote:

So is it Simmons and those 2 picks for Mitchell at the end of the day?

Cam Johnson
DFS
Clowney
2027 PHX 1st
2029 PHX 1st

That would be what I would be looking for as a Cavs fan. Maybe the Nets ultimately get to keep Clowney and a 3rd first gets tossed in. I think the bar would be set at Cam/DFS/27 and 29 PHX first rounders though. I wouldn't go any lower.
NYG
RealGM

Post#36 » by NYG » Thu May 16, 2024 12:32 am

DFS, Cam Johnson, Clowney, '27 Suns 1st and '29 Suns 1st for Donovan Mitchell

Can both sides agree that's the deal?

If so, can I start a new thread asking what Ben Simmons and some of the other Nets picks could get Brooklyn? haha
DowJones
RealGM

Post#37 » by DowJones » Thu May 16, 2024 12:36 am

LarsV8 wrote:While I am sure we will bid, Mitchell is an expiring contract.

You can expect offers to be roughly 1/3 of what Cleveland originally paid.

I think the only way Houston makes a competitive offer is if Mitchell’s camp indicates he would re-up in Houston.
DowJones
RealGM

Post#38 » by DowJones » Thu May 16, 2024 12:38 am

NYG wrote:DFS, Cam Johnson, Clowney, '27 Suns 1st and '29 Suns 1st for Donovan Mitchell

If so, can I start a new thread asking what Ben Simmons and some of the other Nets picks could get Brooklyn? haha

For me as a Cavs fan, I would take it unless Houston makes an aggressive offer. I don’t think either LA or Miami can beat that.
NYG
RealGM

Post#39 » by NYG » Thu May 16, 2024 12:55 am

DowJones wrote:
NYG wrote:DFS, Cam Johnson, Clowney, '27 Suns 1st and '29 Suns 1st for Donovan Mitchell

For me as a Cavs fan, I would take it unless Houston makes an aggressive offer. I don’t think either LA or Miami can beat that.

Netaman wrote:.

TheBrooklynKidd wrote:.

You in? If so, what picks are on the table and who would be your target in a follow-up Simmons deal?
Netaman
Analyst

Post#40 » by Netaman » Thu May 16, 2024 1:55 am

Swap Clowney to PHI27 1st and it’s a deal.

Return to Trades and Transactions