Instant Reaction: What Do The Thunder Do This Off-Season?

Moderators: Trader_Joe, loserX, Andre Roberstan, HartfordWhalers, BullyKing, Texas Chuck, MoneyTalks41890, Mamba4Goat, pacers33granger

Slim Charless
RealGM
And1: 6,344

Re: Instant Reaction: What Do The Thunder Do This Off-Season? 

Post#21 » by Slim Charless » Sun May 19, 2024 3:02 pm

Wolveswin wrote:Crazy aggressive suggestion. Let’s say Presti really likes Sarr and Chet together longterm. Presti’s position of depth is guard (or G/F).

To Hawks: Jalen + Hawks picks (some combo of owed draft capital from Spurs)

To Spurs: Trae

To OKC: #1 + Vassell

Bones of trade. Spurs and Presti have plenty of assets to make value exchange work.

How do Vassell and SGA work? With Dort and Wallace mixed in.

Chet or Sarr
Sarr or Chet
Dort | Vassell
Vassell | SGA
SGA | Wallace

I don't think JDub and picks returned is enough to give both Trae and the #1.....is what I was gonna say. Then I took another look at it. Maybe. I think Atlanta needs ALL of their picks returned.

Basically they'd get Vassel and all their picks back for Trae and then JDub for the #1...? Not terrible.

I'm not 100% sure that OKC wants add more youth but I think from the other 2 teams perspective, it makes sense.
NYG
RealGM
And1: 2,702

Post#22 » by NYG » Sun May 19, 2024 3:03 pm

Lopez and 23 for 12
Kuzma for Dieng and Giddey

Draft Edey at 23
Wolveswin
General Manager
And1: 2,664

Post#23 » by Wolveswin » Sun May 19, 2024 3:06 pm

Slim Charless wrote:
Wolveswin wrote:Crazy aggressive suggestion. Let’s say Presti really likes Sarr and Chet together longterm. Presti’s position of depth is guard (or G/F).

Bones of trade. Spurs and Presti have plenty of assets to make value exchange work.

Chet or Sarr
Sarr or Chet
Dort | Vassell
Vassell | SGA
SGA | Wallace

I don't think JDub and picks returned is enough to give both Trae and the #1.....is what I was gonna say. Then I took another look at it. Maybe. I think Atlanta needs ALL of their picks returned.

Basically they'd get Vassel and all their picks back for Trae and then JDub for the #1...? Not terrible.

I'm not 100% sure that OKC wants add more youth but I think from the other 2 teams perspective, it makes sense.

It really comes down to what Presti thinks of Sarr - and more importantly - a Sarr | Chet frontcourt for like 10+ years. All teams can be made whole value wise.

A fresh 4x rookie year contract would be nice for Presti. Backfilling Jalen with already rostered players (mainly Wallace and Dort) and in this case Vassell (via trade).
Skybox
RealGM
And1: 5,915

Post#24 » by Skybox » Sun May 19, 2024 3:09 pm

Im hesitant to even post my idea because (maybe) I’m way off in my assessment of Giddey’s trade value…I see a huge variation, from homer to outsider.

I’m also very high on Wendell Carter, who I think would be absolutely perfect for OKC. He’s burly enough to bang with anybody, but quick enough to switch on the perimeter….just a smart, younger than you think versatile player who can collect violent rebounds in traffic as well as hit open 3’s with confidence.I think he’s so much better than he’ll ever show between Franz & Paolo. OKC would suit him moving 4/5 effortlessly…maybe even just as a significant bench player. I think he makes OKC more of a contender instantly. He’s also on an absurdly team-friendly deal.

ORL sends WCJ and DEN 25 frp
OKC sends Giddey and #12

Or…OKC sends Giddey and Isaiah Joe
Texas Chuck
Senior Mod - NBA TnT Forum
And1: 90,570

Post#25 » by Texas Chuck » Sun May 19, 2024 3:19 pm

I'm not sure I'd call other posters homers for valuing Giddey higher than you then turning around and valuing WCJ crazy high without any implications your fandom is involved.

Maybe just value the players how you do and let others do the same without calling them homers?
ThunderBolt wrote:I’m going to let some of you in on a little secret I learned on realgm. If you don’t like a thread, not only do you not have to comment but you don’t even have to open it and read it. You’re welcome.
Godaddycurse
RealGM
And1: 10,600

Post#26 » by Godaddycurse » Sun May 19, 2024 3:20 pm

Skybox wrote:Im hesitant to even post my idea because (maybe) I’m way off in my assessment of Giddey’s trade value…I see a huge variation, from homer to outsider.

I’m also very high on Wendell Carter, who I think would be absolutely perfect for OKC. He’s burly enough to bang with anybody, but quick enough to switch on the perimeter….just a smart, younger than you think versatile player who can collect violent rebounds in traffic as well as hit open 3’s with confidence.I think he’s so much better than he’ll ever show between Franz & Paolo. OKC would suit him moving 4/5 effortlessly…maybe even just as a significant bench player. I think he makes OKC more of a contender instantly. He’s also on an absurdly team-friendly deal.

ORL sends WCJ and DEN 25 frp
OKC sends Giddey and #12

Or…OKC sends Giddey and Isaiah Joe

I have 12 alone worth as much if not more than WCJ and DEN 25 FRP
Smooth32
Lead Assistant
And1: 8

Post#27 » by Smooth32 » Sun May 19, 2024 3:28 pm

Wolveswin wrote:Call Cavs for Allen but negotiate for Mobley. If I was Presti, willing to put Dort in trade for Mobley but not Allen. Not sure why - just my feeling.

I hope Presti likes short phone calls.

Outside of Dort or OKC finding a third team to provide a player to the Cavs for their picks, there’s no trade to be made between CLE and OKC.
Wolveswin
General Manager

Post#28 » by Wolveswin » Sun May 19, 2024 3:30 pm

How about Jalen Williams+ for Garland and Mobley.

Does Presti have to get a win-now piece from elsewhere first for Cavs or stacking Giddey and picks get Cavs to say yes?

Mobley
Chet
Dort
SGA
Garland

How do Garland and SGA work together?
DrModesty
Senior
And1: 555

Post#29 » by DrModesty » Sun May 19, 2024 3:38 pm

I'd try and get Okongwu as a back up center who can play alongside Chet on occasions. The other guy I'd target (assuming he isn't cooked health wise) is Tari Eason.
Texas Chuck

Post#30 » by Texas Chuck » Sun May 19, 2024 3:52 pm

So I think Boston would be crazy to move him, but I've seen a number of Boston posters suggesting moving on from him to save money--I'd love to get Horford's last year in OKC. Could really keep his minutes down in the RS and then get half the game out of him in the playoffs as just a smart guy who can still defend and really shoots. If Boston felt they had to cut salary, I'm definitely making a call.
ThunderBolt wrote:I’m going to let some of you in on a little secret I learned on realgm. If you don’t like a thread, not only do you not have to comment but you don’t even have to open it and read it. You’re welcome.
Skybox
RealGM

Post#31 » by Skybox » Sun May 19, 2024 4:18 pm

Texas Chuck wrote:I'm not sure I'd call other posters homers for valuing Giddey higher than you then turning around and valuing WCJ crazy high without any implications your fandom is involved.

Maybe just value the players how you do and let others do the same without calling them homers?

I’m just referring to the broad range- politely…why is mine “crazy high”? I even said I was reluctant and acknowledged that maybe I was off.

Of all the moderating done for community standards or positive interactions, you’re as out there as any of us…and then some. I’m sure I’m not the only one that sees that on an almost daily basis
Slim Charless
RealGM

Post#32 » by Slim Charless » Sun May 19, 2024 4:26 pm

Wolveswin wrote:
Slim Charless wrote:

Chet or Sarr
Sarr or Chet
Dort | Vassell
Vassell | SGA
SGA | Wallace

It really comes down to what Presti thinks of Sarr - and more importantly - a Sarr | Chet frontcourt for like 10+ years. All teams can be made whole value wise.

A fresh 4x rookie year contract would be nice for Presti. Backfilling Jalen with already rostered players (mainly Wallace and Dort) and in this case Vassell (via trade).

See, that where it comes apart. ATL needs Vassel too. Otherwise the value isn't there. OKC getting #1 for Jdubb makes sense on paper. Giving thm Vassell too is too much.

So you value Trae as just getting their own picks back?

Nothing else? If we're assuming that #1 is equal to JDub. That's way off IMO....
thedoppelganger
Senior
And1: 499

Post#33 » by thedoppelganger » Sun May 19, 2024 4:29 pm

2 obvious flaws to be addressed in getting a starting 4 and backup 5, only having 1 player we could trust over 6'6 was always going to be a killer.

Tie up Joe and Wiggins to long term deals, will give us some mid-size contracts which we've been missing.

Trade Giddey, it's best for both parties at this point with him being due for an extension soon. Can't imagine he'll want to come off the bench next season, and no way he starts again after seeing how things looked once he was benched.

For the starting 4 we'd ideally be looking for some physicality and athleticism that was definitely lacking, and is a plus at 2 of 3 in shooting, rebounding, and defense. If we don't go the super aggressive route, I'd love to see us make a run at Avdija. Pipe dream would be overwhelming Atlanta with an offer for Jalen Johnson, but I can't imagine they'd give him up without getting one of our big 3 in return. Cheapest option that doesn't address some of the flaws but would basically be a bigger Isaiah Joe in the lineup could be Cam Johnson.

Lauri's going to be a popular name, but it was alluded to earlier this season on the Hoop Collective that Utah would demand Jalen or Chet in return. Would that be the price this summer? Who knows, but can't see Ainge moving him just for picks given the volume and quality that Utah already has in that category. I'd be in for a potential KD return given how his contract length lines up with Chet + Dub's extensions, and he's definitely been putting some bread crumbs out there that make it seem like he'd be open to a return. There's a section of the fanbase still in their feelings about it, but the fit is seamless.

Backup 5 could go any number of directions, just don't want to see J-Will masquerading as a center when he's 6'6, can't jump, is a mediocre shooter, and only form of rim protection is sliding in front of people for a charge. Keep him for the team vibes though. I like the WCJ idea as someone who could play backup 5 and tandem with Chet occasionally in lineups. Would've loved Olynyk in the role but that ship seems to have sailed. It'd be interesting to see us get a non-stretch 5 that could set solid screens and rim run, just as a change of pace if nothing else.
Wolveswin
General Manager

Post#34 » by Wolveswin » Sun May 19, 2024 4:40 pm

Slim Charless wrote:
Wolveswin wrote:
Slim Charless wrote:

See, that where it comes apart. ATL needs Vassel too. Otherwise the value isn't there. OKC getting #1 for Jdubb makes sense on paper. Giving thm Vassell too is too much.

Nothing else? If we're assuming that #1 is equal to JDub. That's way off IMO....

I will try a third time. The trade you are defending was bones - not fully baked - and those three teams easily have the assets to make it work.

For example, if Hawks still want a 2024 1st, enter #12 from Presti or #4 or #8 from Spurs. If Hawks value more getting their future back, send them ALL back with Spurs getting Trae (and even something something from Presti). Like a million combinations that make value work.
ejftw
General Manager
And1: 4,140

Post#35 » by ejftw » Sun May 19, 2024 4:41 pm

Should've went for Steven Adams, would've been a nice fit next season. Zu would also be a nice fit but, being a fan of his, don't want the Clippers to deal him for what his value would be.

Yves Missi or Adem Bona would both be good targets in the draft, the former with #12, the latter by acquiring a late first/early second. Bona is undersized at 6'9, but his athleticism and strength would make him playable from the first day as a third big.
Texas Chuck

Post#36 » by Texas Chuck » Sun May 19, 2024 4:44 pm

Skybox wrote:
Texas Chuck wrote:I'm not sure I'd call other posters homers for valuing Giddey higher than you then turning around and valuing WCJ crazy high without any implications your fandom is involved.

I’m just referring to the broad range- politely…why is mine “crazy high”? I even said I was reluctant and acknowledged that maybe I was off.

Of all the moderating done for community standards or positive interactions, you’re as out there as any of us…and then some. I’m sure I’m not the only one that sees that on an almost daily basis

Not sure what you are talking about? But I feel really confident I have zero reputation for overvaluing Mavs players on the regular.

Do I have strong takes? Oh yeah. Do I tick off a lot of posters who don't like a board reg/mod telling them their players aren't worth what they think? Oh hell yeah. Will I point out inconsistencies in how they evaluate players on their own team versus how they evaluate players on other teams? Yep.

But I'm not obligated as a mod to just agree with the high end valuation on players on every poster's team. And since you seem to paying close attention to me, you will note that is when the issues come up.

I'm going to give my honest valuations. And that's okay even as a Mod I promise. :D

And this was such a mild reminder. I wasn't so much moderating you as pointing out you used homer to talk about the high end range of a player you acknowledge you value less than most. While then asking for a lot for your player when you've seen all the threads and seen how the board as a whole values him much lower, but didn't suggest in any way your value might be related to being a fan of Carter's team.

Now I have zero issues with you valuing Carter how you do and would not assert based on one post you are overvaluing him because of your fandom. Only posters with a long track record of overvaluing players on their team would I suggest such a thing. But I do think if you are going to take the low value on one player and say those taking the high value are homers and then turn around in the same post and take the high value on a Magic player....
mg
General Manager
And1: 4,088

Post#37 » by mg » Sun May 19, 2024 4:49 pm

Jarrett Allen would fix a lot of their rebounding issues but don't really see a trade match with the Cavs unless it's some kind of 3 way deal. They could go after Claxton in FA but it's going to take a huge offer to outbid Brooklyn and they need to pay a few guys in the next 2 years. Already mentioned in another thread by Chuck but Kessler could be an answer and is still on a rookie deal for a few more years. Okongwu is another guy although a bit undersized to play the 5. Maybe they chase after Jonas in FA but he would be a stop gap.
Slim Charless
RealGM

Post#38 » by Slim Charless » Sun May 19, 2024 4:52 pm

Wolveswin wrote:
Slim Charless wrote:
Wolveswin wrote:It really comes down to what Presti thinks of Sarr - and more importantly - a Sarr | Chet frontcourt for like 10+ years. All teams can be made whole value wise.

I will try a third time. The trade you are defending was bones - not fully baked - and those three teams easily have the assets to make it work.

For example, if Hawks still want a 2024 1st, enter #12 from Presti or #4 or #8 from Spurs. If Hawks value more getting their future back, send them ALL back with Spurs getting Trae (and even something something from Presti). Like a million combinations that make value work.

Ahhh I understand. Well, in that case since OKC is getting Vassel then they should be able to send Cason Wallace to ATL. Him, along with another 2/3 FRPs should make it more even.
Skybox
RealGM

Post#39 » by Skybox » Sun May 19, 2024 4:56 pm

So what's an objective take on the gap between WCJ, who many want for OKC, and Giddey (who many want gone from OKC)?

WCJ seems to me to nicely address some of the most apparent issues with OKC (which are awesomely few) AND is very young and versatile AND on an amazing deal (regardless of how good you think he is or isn't -within sane analysis). He's 25 and has 2 more seasons on a descending salary, roughly 12m, then 11m. I think his injury history is overblown but you should consider it. Nothing chronic about a broken finger - he's not Isaac or Hayward, in that respect.

Giddey is interesting for ORL. Not a shooter or defender...but he's long, apparently has high BBIQ, and could make a nice table setter for ORL's young core, who spend entirely too much time in iso. They are exceptional iso scorers, but there's always a ceiling to that as an offensive scheme. Josh is 21 and has one more season at around $8m, so he's up for a rookie extension this summer or RFA next.

Who adds and what's the add?
Texas Chuck

Post#40 » by Texas Chuck » Sun May 19, 2024 4:58 pm

Skybox wrote:So what's an objective take on the gap between WCJ, who many want for OKC, and Giddey (who many want gone from OKC)?

WCJ seems to me to nicely address some of the most apparent issues with OKC (which are awesomely few) AND is very young and versatile AND on an amazing deal (regardless of how good you think he is or isn't -within sane analysis). He's 25 and has 2 more seasons on a descending salary, roughly 12m, then 11m. I think his injury history is overblown but you should consider it. Nothing chronic about a broken finger - he's not Isaac or Hayward, in that respect.

Giddey is interesting for ORL. Not a shooter or defender...but he's long, apparently has high BBIQ, and could make a nice table setter for ORL's young core, who spend entirely too much time in iso. They are exceptional iso scorers, but there's always a ceiling to that as an offensive scheme. Josh is 21 and has one more season at around $8m, so he's up for a rookie extension this summer or RFA next.

Who adds and what's the add?

Perfect. And then we can all debate the value difference.

Return to Trades and Transactions