Heat - Kings not a proposal but a question

Moderators: Trader_Joe, loserX, Andre Roberstan, HartfordWhalers, BullyKing, Texas Chuck, MoneyTalks41890, Mamba4Goat, pacers33granger

conleyorbust
Lead Assistant
And1: 0

Post#21 » by conleyorbust » Mon Jan 7, 2008 11:25 pm

OGSactownballer wrote:The problem the Heat face here is the exact same one as the Kings when it comes to taking it to the tank for the season - there're just a little too good. The fact is that as they get healthier through the rest of the season (just like the Kings) they will hover at that playoff/low end of the lotto level and have about a billion to one chance of getting any of those top three picks. On the other hand IF they do get healthy over the next month, and add solid vets they have the ability AND the experience to go far in the East playoffs.

the thing they really have to decide is whether or not to gamble on that or being mediocre. Tank is really not going to be in the cards pretty soon, unless they really intentionally stink it out and the league won't stand for that.

Both teams need to be looking towards the future. The west is WAAAY too strong for Sacto to make a push for the POs, especially when more talented teams like Houston and Utah aren't even in contentiona and they have better records.

Miami is sitting at 8-26 with Shaq out for an indeterminant amount of time and Wade reinjuring his shoulder against Memphis. Chances are they aren't going on a winning streak any time soon but hypothetically, what would it take for them to make the playoffs? If a .500 record is what the 8th seed needs, they would have to go 33-15 for the rest of the season. That just isn't gonna happen regardless of what they do. Hell, Miami doesn't have to tank, they can play better than they are now and still be the third or fourth worst team in the league.

Like I said, any moves that they make should be forward looking. Not necessarilly tanking but don't sacrifice a player you like so you can be 25-57 instead of 20-62.
Smills91
Banned User
And1: 2

Post#22 » by Smills91 » Tue Jan 8, 2008 3:31 am

loserX wrote:Bibby's injury is a big factor. Even if the Heat aren't quite out of it yet, how long can they afford to wait for him to be 100% again?

Bibby will play next week...he injured a thumb, so it's not like he hasn't been able to keep up on his conditioning like a knee, ankle or back would prevent. It was also on his off hand, so he'd probably been shooting for some while now. I'd give him 2-3 weeks before you start seeing him at full-speed/game-speed again.
Smills91
Banned User
And1: 2

Post#23 » by Smills91 » Tue Jan 8, 2008 3:34 am

VintaGe36 wrote:Most MIA fans have said they would consider dealing Haslem IF Artest was coming their way, Smills should know that.

Well, I want a healthy Elton Brand on the Kings for Kenny Thomas...but that isn't happening either. There's no way the heat get Artest for Haslem + ANYTHING else on their roster outside of Wade.
KF10
Forum Mod - Kings
Forum Mod - Kings
And1: 5,454

Post#24 » by KF10 » Tue Jan 8, 2008 3:38 am

BrooklynBulls wrote:Apparently a lot of Sacramento fans think that they are. And if healthy, they are pretty talented. Which is why I suggested to them that they hold a fire sale on all their veteran contracts, and make sure they suck. kingsfan10 did not take too kindly to that...

You suggested to tank, hold a firesale and go for a high pick. IMO I have the right to express my opinions... :)
SacKingZZZ
RealGM
And1: 1,082

Post#25 » by SacKingZZZ » Tue Jan 8, 2008 6:04 am

BrooklynBulls wrote:Apparently a lot of Sacramento fans think that they are. And if healthy, they are pretty talented. Which is why I suggested to them that they hold a fire sale on all their veteran contracts, and make sure they suck. kingsfan10 did not take too kindly to that...

That's the kind of thing that will get you quickly canned as a GM in the NBA. The Kings players do have value so there is really no need to hold a "firesale". I agree that they should rebuild simply because the younger talent they have is showing so many positives and are earning the chance to be the main guns for Sacramento. But to dump just so we can suck is the worst thing you can do.

Return to Trades and Transactions