What does OKC do this summer?

Moderators: loserX, Andre Roberstan, HartfordWhalers, BullyKing, Texas Chuck, MoneyTalks41890, Mamba4Goat, pacers33granger, Trader_Joe

HornetJail
RealGM
And1: 12,595

Re: What does OKC do this summer? 

Post#41 » by HornetJail » Sun May 12, 2024 12:28 am

Wolveswin wrote:
Mr Loggins wrote:
Wolveswin wrote:Be patient.

Presti has his eye on like 3x stars to become available. Similar in age to SGA or younger. Once any amount of blood drops in the water, he will make a massive offer - on paper will be mind boggling.

would okc pay all these stars?

Yes. SGA when he needs his new contract is only money problem heading OKC way. 2nd rookie contract max contracts are not cap killers. It’s the 3rd+ that gives teams problems.
that's only true if Jalen or Chet doesn't explode next season and command a supermax
formerly KEMBAtheMETEOR
Slim Charless
RealGM
And1: 6,320

Post#42 » by Slim Charless » Sun May 12, 2024 12:29 am

Pipp33 wrote:
jbk1234 wrote:
Saul Goodman wrote:I think you have to put Giddey in a deal as his extension is coming up and he isn’t a great fit next to SGA. Something to Cleveland for Jarrett Allen? Two big talents in two bad situations. I think both guys can really break out on their new teams

Allen has already broken out and Giddey can't shoot. I don't see the Cavs being interested.

I don't think the trade idea is good...but this narrative that Giddey can't shoot is getting out of hand.

He definitely needs to keep working on his shot and it's got a way to go, but he has shown improvement and is at least willing to shoot when open. He just came off a playoff series where he shot 50% from 3.

His FT form has improved this year and he's 80% from the line this season (small sample though)....AND he's 21.

His played nearly all of this season in a completely unfamiliar role that does not suit his game and has just got on with the job...no whining.

If he gets a chance on another team (I think Spurs would be ideal and Wizards would be interesting as well), I think he really takes the next step.

I think Giddey and picks to Miami for Butler make sense. OKC is deep enough to withstand Jimmy's absences as it allows their kids to get regular season playing time. Then, in the playoffs, Jimmy can take over. He's older than everyone yes, but this Thunder team is ready to win right now. Jimmy playing tonight as opposed to Giddey and OKC wins.

I'd try Jimmy along with giving Miami back their 2025 pick. Then Dort as filler and whatever picks are needed to fill the gaps. OKC even has the cap room available to pay him without it killing them..
Dan Z
RealGM
And1: 7,304

Post#43 » by Dan Z » Sun May 12, 2024 12:52 am

vxmike wrote:
Kizz Fastfists wrote:Let's start with the draft. Ideally they land Cody Williams. Not only is he the brother of Jalen, but he's 6'8 and can shoot. He has a chance to become a big 3&D player and another high quality role player.

They should extend some of the role players. Isaiah Joe and Aaron Wiggins are key contributors that need to be locked up.

As much as a trade for a player like Lauri, WCJ, Jabari Smith or another big that can stretch the floor would theoretically push them over the top I don't see it happening. It's not the type of move Presti has ever made and he will likely continue to horde assets and/or trade them for future picks. An example of this was the trade deadline deal where Presti gave away a 2024 draft pick for a future pick swap instead of using that pick in a deal for a useful player that would have fit the team like Olynyk.

Unlike most Thunder fans I'm upset about the lack of moves made in the off-season and up to the trade deadline. I also accept that we are past the part of the process where Presti is great. Presti is great at trading off veterans, tanking and drafting at the top of the draft to put together a great core. He's terrible at finishing off the roster and providing the needed role players. This team was poised to be a playoff team after their play-in games last season and they did nothing to improve the team. The idea that they should just sit on their hands and let the team take shot after shot at winning a championship because they are so young and talented has played out before in OKC when Russ, Harden, KD and Ibaka went to the Finals. All four of those players were younger than SGA is today that year. It never resulted in a championship. When you have the opportunity for a championship and your big move is to add an old, pathetic Gordan Hayward instead of a player that can help you win a championship I question your ability to actually finish the job.

Agree Presti is like the old guy who worked 50 years and did a great job saving money (picks) but then dies of old age before ever enjoying the wealth.

Picks go stale after you draft young guys and don’t have to minutes to develop them. He’s got to do something ASAP. A low usage rebounding C like Zubac or Hartenstein would make sense next to Chet. He might wait for that star that never becomes available or doesn’t want to play in OKC. Ainge will probably face the same problem in Utah.

I think OKC has cap space...? If so, they can offer Hartenstein a deal and see if he'll take it.

After that I'm not sure what they should do. I don't think they'll be a star available who is worth OKC going after.

I think Ainge is planning to build with Lauri, but I'm not sure. Lauri keeps them somewhat competitive (less likely to have a top pick in a draft) and might not want to wait around for players to develop. Either way Utah owns picks that might be interesting down the road: 2027 Cleveland, 2027 Lakers, 2028 swap with Cleveland, 2029 Cleveland, and 2029 Minnesota.
jayjaysee
King of the Trade Board
And1: 5,697

Post#44 » by jayjaysee » Sun May 12, 2024 1:48 am

If Wiggins and Joe aren’t traded, their options should be declined and both locked up. Wiggins cheaper, but giving them the bonus in 2024-2025 should get a discount on the long term deal. Id trade Wiggins and lock up Joe with some of the excess cap space.. can overpay Claxton and give Joe a front loaded long term deal..
Wolveswin
General Manager
And1: 2,616

Post#45 » by Wolveswin » Sun May 12, 2024 2:27 am

HornetJail wrote:
Wolveswin wrote:
Mr Loggins wrote:

would okc pay all these stars?

Yes. SGA when he needs his new contract is only money problem heading OKC way. 2nd rookie contract max contracts are not cap killers. It’s the 3rd+ that gives teams problems.
that's only true if Jalen or Chet doesn't explode next season and command a supermax

Even if they do. Great “problem” to have. 3x All NBA players.
TheShow2021
Junior
And1: 564

Post#46 » by TheShow2021 » Sun May 12, 2024 4:00 am

They have the cap space to get Lebron, OG, Siakam and PG. And I'm shocked 3 of the 4 haven't been mentioned 3 pages into the thread.

The first 3 would fit quite well except they could be in cap trouble in 2027 for OG and Siakam. Lebron on a 2 year deal would make a lot of sense.
vxmike
Head Coach
And1: 4,066

Post#47 » by vxmike » Sun May 12, 2024 4:29 am

jayjaysee wrote:If Wiggins and Joe aren’t traded, their options should be declined and both locked up. Wiggins cheaper, but giving them the bonus in 2024-2025 should get a discount on the long term deal. Id trade Wiggins and lock up Joe with some of the excess cap space.. can overpay Claxton and give Joe a front loaded long term deal..

I kinda like the idea of signing Claxton or Hartenstein with some of the cap space then trading for Butler with the pick haul. They can seriously contend for 2-3 years with Butler before his deal expires and the young roster gets expensive.
MasterIchiro
RealGM
And1: 5,399

Post#48 » by MasterIchiro » Sun May 12, 2024 5:32 am

Giddey for Deni Avdija.

He's a 2-way wing who's a smart glue guy, young, fits their timeline. If the Wizards want pick compensation, OKC can deliver.

Wiz could use a PG.
It has been written...
Devilanche
Head Coach
And1: 1,671

Post#49 » by Devilanche » Sun May 12, 2024 5:36 am

MasterIchiro wrote:Giddey for Deni Avdija.

He's a 2-way wing who's a smart glue guy, young, fits their timeline. If the Wizards want pick compensation, OKC can deliver.

Wiz could use a PG.

Doubt wizards would agree but he would be a damn good fit
MoneyTalks41890 wrote:No I’m myopic and shortsighted and I want my pile of draft picks.
MasterIchiro
RealGM
And1: 5,399

Post#50 » by MasterIchiro » Sun May 12, 2024 5:40 am

Devilanche wrote:

Wiz could use a PG.

I believe he's a finishing-touches guy, not a bedrock piece you build around.

At the same time, Wizards could demand a pick haul. Their rebuild is a long road for them, so I can see OKC putting together a compelling package the Wizards have to consider.
It has been written...
Wolveswin
General Manager

Post#51 » by Wolveswin » Sun May 12, 2024 6:27 am

Make big offer for Claxton (as will other teams).

Mobley came up in another thread. He would be an amazing get. Him and Chet would dominate for many years to come.

+Giddey (Cavs insurance for what might happen with Mitchell)
+Dort
+Dieng
+Picks

Any combo of that offer could go to third team for win-now player of Cavs choice.

Mobley
Chet
Jalen
Wallace
SGA

Dynasty for many years with a war chest probably STILL (even after this trade) best in NBA.
Mr Loggins
Assistant Coach
And1: 2,432

Post#52 » by Mr Loggins » Sun May 12, 2024 3:46 pm

Wolveswin wrote:
HornetJail wrote:
Wolveswin wrote:Yes. SGA when he needs his new contract is only money problem heading OKC way. 2nd rookie contract max contracts are not cap killers. It’s the 3rd+ that gives teams problems.

yes, which is why i bring up would they pay everyone. Cause last time they short-circuited a potential dynasty (by trading Harden)
R-DAWG
RealGM
And1: 5,046

Post#53 » by R-DAWG » Sun May 12, 2024 3:57 pm

Godaddycurse wrote:
R-DAWG wrote:
Godaddycurse wrote:
not sure teams will take him into capspace alone, let alone add a pick. They are better off going after Claxton if they want a traditional 5

Claxton is going to be much more expensive than Robinson.

Thats fine/better than spending a pick on Robinson. They are in no risk of the tax for 2 more years

And Claxton is going to require a 4 year deal that pays him big money when the young guys on OKC start getting paid.
Godaddycurse
RealGM
And1: 10,540

Post#54 » by Godaddycurse » Sun May 12, 2024 3:58 pm

R-DAWG wrote:
Godaddycurse wrote:
R-DAWG wrote:
Claxton is going to be much more expensive than Robinson.

Thats fine/better than spending a pick on Robinson. They are in no risk of the tax for 2 more years

And Claxton is going to require a 4 year deal that pays him big money when the young guys on OKC start getting paid.

They can front load his deal and trade him for assets later instead of paying for robinson to sit in street clothes. Claxton is much more durable
jayjaysee
King of the Trade Board
And1: 5,697

Post#55 » by jayjaysee » Sun May 12, 2024 4:07 pm

Mr Loggins wrote:
Wolveswin wrote:
HornetJail wrote:that's only true if Jalen or Chet doesn't explode next season and command a supermax

yes, which is why i bring up would they pay everyone. Cause last time they short-circuited a potential dynasty (by trading Harden)

Clay paid a lot of tax for the PG/Westbrook Thunder team..

But unlike the KD/Westbrook.. They have the most assets in the league. And they got their MVP level player locked up on a 25% max instead of a 30% max like KD was.. And their two Robins will likely only get 25% max contracts.. (or they’ll trade Jalen for a young star and still only have 3 max contracts)

So the tax won’t really hurt Bennett until 2027-2028 if OKC is building around Chet/Jalen/SGA and strong roleplayers. Not until SGA gets his real max in 3 years.

And OKC is in a position to get Wiggins and Joe locked up on another bargain deal by leveraging their team options this summer. No one has Boozer’ed a team in a while.. those guys shouldn’t want to play for 2 million this year when they get offered 4yr deals between 30-50 million..

But Clayton can’t realistically pay everyone. Which is why Giddey will likely be traded this summer.. You can pay an older star a max for 2024 and 2025 and try to win 70 games if you want.. But don’t think you want to have any overlap with a fourth max. Not when you have lottery picks coming in from others teams..
Wolveswin
General Manager

Post#56 » by Wolveswin » Sun May 12, 2024 4:19 pm

Figure out a Wallace for Reid swap and say “may best man win” as each team is fully set for multiple WCF matchups.

Chet
Reid
Jalen
Dort
SGA

Gobert
Towns
McDaniels
Edwards
Conley | Wallace (starts when ready)
Slim Charless
RealGM
And1: 6,320

Post#57 » by Slim Charless » Sun May 12, 2024 4:24 pm

MasterIchiro wrote:
Devilanche wrote:

Wiz could use a PG.

I believe he's a finishing-touches guy, not a bedrock piece you build around.

At the same time, Wizards could demand a pick haul. Their rebuild is a long road for them, so I can see OKC putting together a compelling package the Wizards have to consider.

Wiz should be aiming for Topic in the draft. He's the age range of the guys and won't need a new deal soon. Giddey should go to a team with vets who can use his passing and can make up for his lack of shooting.
mademan
RealGM
And1: 28,688

Post#58 » by mademan » Sun May 12, 2024 4:26 pm

Wolveswin wrote:Figure out a Wallace for Reid swap and say “may best man win” as each team is fully set for multiple WCF matchups.

Chet
Reid
Jalen
Dort
SGA

Gobert
Towns
McDaniels
Edwards
Conley | Wallace (starts when ready)

Reid having 1 year on his contract vs Wallace 3 cheap rookie years+RFA makes this a non starter for the Thunder.
mademan
RealGM
And1: 28,688

Post#59 » by mademan » Sun May 12, 2024 4:28 pm

Knicks dont have bird rights on IH right? Thunder can price them out by paying him like 20mill/year
MoneyTalks41890
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 21,600

Post#60 » by MoneyTalks41890 » Sun May 12, 2024 4:47 pm

jayjaysee wrote:If Wiggins and Joe aren’t traded, their options should be declined and both locked up. Wiggins cheaper, but giving them the bonus in 2024-2025 should get a discount on the long term deal. Id trade Wiggins and lock up Joe with some of the excess cap space.. can overpay Claxton and give Joe a front loaded long term deal..

That’s really smart jay re Wiggins and Joe. Since OKC has cap I’m not sure if that could also be a raise and extend? I’m not thinking all that through properly right now, but declining and signing would be really smart this offseason. I’d really like to keep both.

Return to Trades and Transactions