Atlanta doesn’t tank. V1? Or just containment thread?

Moderators: loserX, Andre Roberstan, HartfordWhalers, BullyKing, Texas Chuck, MoneyTalks41890, Mamba4Goat, pacers33granger, Trader_Joe

hugepatsfan
Head Coach
And1: 6,368

Re: Atlanta doesn’t tank. V1? Or just containment thread? 

Post#41 » by hugepatsfan » Mon May 13, 2024 4:12 pm

Unless someone comes available worth moving the pick for, I'd take Sarr and try to bring him along as a JJJ type like others have said. I think he could pair well next to Okongwu actually. And Jalen Johnson seems entrenched at SF. So that's probably the front court moving forward for them.

It feels inevitable that they're going to move one of Young or Murray. So what does that leave them with?

PG: Young or Murray
SG: (no long-term core piece)
SF: Jalen Johnson
PF: Alex Sarr
C: Onyeka Okongwu

Behind that "core" you have Capela, Hunter and Bogi as quality players to either keep around as bench pieces, use as salary filler, or trade for their (marginal) value. Bey would be in that group too if re-signed. Bufkin and Griffin are upside prospects that you either keep to try and develop or use as sweeteners in deals. And then of course you have the future picks that they're retained and whatever the return is from the Young or Murray trade.

I think Young is "better" than Murray but I think his play style brings some team building challenges that might be easier to work around with Murray. I wonder if it might put them in better position to keep Murray since they'd be trading Young for a hypothetical return. The clear opening in that team going forward would be a backcourt partner for whoever they keep. If they move Young, they'll have more assets to chase that player and more options in terms of the play style that player has since Murray is more versatile in who he can play with.
Threezus
Veteran
And1: 1,625

Post#42 » by Threezus » Mon May 13, 2024 8:12 pm

jayjaysee wrote:
Threezus wrote:Hmm is their any possible way to get Kat without Trae, Johnson, or the 1st pick involved? Something with Murray + other things added in. or is that to tall of a tree to climb to get a player of his talents without those 3.

Atlanta can always go back to the Murray, OO, picks offer if Minnesota makes KAT available. Still can trade 3 firsts, outside of Sarr, so they have the value to get that done.

im sorta intrigued how does this team look fit wise?

PG - Trae / ??? a cheap vet maybe that can be a 2 way and handle the offense when needed like a Delon wright
SG - Bogi/Bufkin
SF - Jalen Johnson / hunter
PF - Sarr/KAt/ hunter
C = Kat/Sarr/ Capela

I feel you need 3 really big guys that has some good outside shooting and can defend perimeter and rim run with Trae to really make him work.
Threezus
Veteran
And1: 1,625

Post#43 » by Threezus » Mon May 13, 2024 8:18 pm

hugepatsfan wrote:Unless someone comes available worth moving the pick for, I'd take Sarr and try to bring him along as a JJJ type like others have said. I think he could pair well next to Okongwu actually. And Jalen Johnson seems entrenched at SF. So that's probably the front court moving forward for them.

It feels inevitable that they're going to move one of Young or Murray. So what does that leave them with?

PG: Young or Murray
SG: (no long-term core piece)
SF: Jalen Johnson
PF: Alex Sarr
C: Onyeka Okongwu

Behind that "core" you have Capela, Hunter and Bogi as quality players to either keep around as bench pieces, use as salary filler, or trade for their (marginal) value. Bey would be in that group too if re-signed. Bufkin and Griffin are upside prospects that you either keep to try and develop or use as sweeteners in deals. And then of course you have the future picks that they're retained and whatever the return is from the Young or Murray trade.

I think Young is "better" than Murray but I think his play style brings some team building challenges that might be easier to work around with Murray. I wonder if it might put them in better position to keep Murray since they'd be trading Young for a hypothetical return. The clear opening in that team going forward would be a backcourt partner for whoever they keep. If they move Young, they'll have more assets to chase that player and more options in terms of the play style that player has since Murray is more versatile in who he can play with.

You absolutely nailed this for me and how i view this situation. I feel if and it's a big if you can get the exact right type of players around trae you can be a monster and a better overall team. But thats much harder to do than with murray who imo is a capable PG in his own right. But murray lets you build the team much easier to be a true 2 way team that can be a force on defense and you can replace Trae's offense easier with a new star than you can murrays defense with a new star paired with trae. The trae team will always have some holes on offense no way around it. The murray led team for cheaper cost and more assets available to get a 3rd star with johnson and murray. You can find more than good enough offense from a 3rd star like a Jaylen brown that also has much better defense and size than trae.

So we 100% see this the same way as each other and im down for both options if you can make it work. In the post right under yours i made a team of the best group i could see possible to put around trae thats feasable maybe. 3 massive bigs that can stretch and play defense then a sharp shooter in bogi with some size. Then 3 top tier potential defenders Bufkin, Hunter, and Capela off the bench.

Return to Trades and Transactions