Determine Evan Mobley’s trade value.

Moderators: loserX, Andre Roberstan, HartfordWhalers, BullyKing, Texas Chuck, MoneyTalks41890, Mamba4Goat, pacers33granger, Trader_Joe

jbk1234
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 32,630

Re: Determine Evan Mobley’s trade value. 

Post#61 » by jbk1234 » Thu May 9, 2024 4:53 pm

Texas Chuck wrote:And star players bring you your only championship. I know you are completely against any player agency in their career, but Lebron James was a huge boon to the Cavs. And I'd argue the franchise treated him far worse than he left them Him coming back a second time was a huge act of generosity to a franchise that flamed him out the door.

But hey if the goal is to just keep good but not great players and be on the fringe of relevancy I too would always just keep players who will take the checks and ask no questions (Kevin Love) and avoid any great players who might hold us accountable.

This bolded is why we can't have nice things, Chuck. Telling player X you're not trading player Y is not depriving player X of his agency. Donavan Mitchell will, quite literally, be a free agent a year from now if he doesn't extend. He can sign with whatever team has space.

Also, suffice to say that as good as he may be at scoring, Mitchell is not LBJ. I wasn't referring to LBJ. I'm looking at the Nets and Suns (given the recent Durant news).
cbosh4mvp wrote:
Jarret Allen isn’t winning you anything. Garland won’t show up in the playoffs. Mobley is a glorified dunk man. Mitchell has some experience but is a liability on defense. To me, the Cavs are a treadmill team.
louc1970
Senior
And1: 187

Post#62 » by louc1970 » Thu May 9, 2024 5:02 pm

Wolveswin wrote:Add to my Mikal idea…

To Nets: Mobley + LeVert

To Pels: Garland + DFS

To Cavs: Mikal + Ingram + Herb + at least 1x 1st from Nets + at least 2x 1sts from Pels

Allen
Herb
Ingram
Bridges
Mitchell

Cavs can actually cobble together a nice offer for a star when one hits the market.

Making some adjustments to this deal.
Nets send Johnson, Claxton (S&T)
Nets receive Ingram (if he agrees to resign), Jones, Mobley
Nets turn to a new lineup to being Simmons, Thomas, Ingram, Jones, Mobley.

Pelican send Ingram, Jones
Pelicans receive Johnson, Claxton
Turns the team to Daniels, McCollum, Murphy, Williamson, Claxton with Johnson coming off the bench.

Cavaliers send Mobley
Cavs receive Bridges, DFS
Cavs then have Garland, Mitchell, Bridges, DFS, Allen.

Throw some picks here and there to make whatever needs to even it up on your side.
Wolveswin
General Manager
And1: 2,616

Post#63 » by Wolveswin » Thu May 9, 2024 5:58 pm

louc1970 wrote:

To Cavs: Mikal + Ingram + Herb + at least 1x 1st from Nets + at least 2x 1sts from Pels

Allen
Herb
Ingram
Bridges
Mitchell

Cavs can actually cobble together a nice offer for a star when one hits the market.

Turns the team to Daniels, McCollum, Murphy, Williamson, Claxton with Johnson coming off the bench.

Cavaliers send Mobley

Throw some picks here and there to make whatever needs to even it up on your side.

Yuk.

Mobley > Bridges + DFS and I think by a lot

Pels need more too. Herb and Claxton one can argue close in value. Ingram (even expiring) > Johnson

Way too good for Nets in this version.
TheBrooklynKidd
Head Coach
And1: 3,628

Post#64 » by TheBrooklynKidd » Thu May 9, 2024 6:22 pm

My new favorite semi-realistic scenario for Brooklyn:

1) Mitchell makes a list of guys the Cavs must acquire in order for him to sign an extension.

2) Bridges is on that list.

3)
Nets Trade- Bridges, DFS, ‘76ers 2027 1st
Cavs Trade- Mobley, Levert, Filler
Shock Defeat
General Manager
And1: 17,098

Post#65 » by Shock Defeat » Thu May 9, 2024 6:49 pm

I would not trade #1 for Mobley unless you are a team that wants to win immediately and view Mobley as a key missing piece. While the #1 pick is no sure thing, you'd like a #1 to be better than Mobley is. Mobley is a high end role player certainly not a bust, but you want superstar out of a #1 overall.
toooskies
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,756

Post#66 » by toooskies » Thu May 9, 2024 7:49 pm

Shock Defeat wrote:I would not trade #1 for Mobley unless you are a team that wants to win immediately and view Mobley as a key missing piece. While the #1 pick is no sure thing, you'd like a #1 to be better than Mobley is. Mobley is a high end role player certainly not a bust, but you want superstar out of a #1 overall.

I guess you haven't paid much attention to this year's draft prospects.

This year's #1 is most likely not going to be a superstar. Alexandre Sarr is in the conversation for #1 and is pretty much a player in Mobley's mold-- similar height and weight, similar stats to Mobley as a prospect except Sarr takes more 3s and misses them. Probably has a similar ceiling to current Mobley with a much lower floor.

There's a bunch of other guys who could go #1 but they've all got bust or role player downsides.
nate33
Forum Mod - Wizards
Forum Mod - Wizards
And1: 19,591

Post#67 » by nate33 » Thu May 9, 2024 8:17 pm

Shock Defeat wrote:I would not trade #1 for Mobley unless you are a team that wants to win immediately and view Mobley as a key missing piece. While the #1 pick is no sure thing, you'd like a #1 to be better than Mobley is. Mobley is a high end role player certainly not a bust, but you want superstar out of a #1 overall.

I think Mobley is a high end role player as long as he plays PF. I think he has fringe All-Star potential as a C. I recognize that his stats are only so-so, but I value the fact that he is defensively versatile and can play a drop scheme, a hedge scheme, or a switch scheme. That type of versatility at center is a difference-maker in the playoffs. And he has improved every year and still has more improvement ahead of him as he gets stronger.

This draft is weak, with Alexandre Sarr looking like the consensus top pick. Mobley is basically what you hope Sarr becomes if everything breaks right.
tidho
General Manager
And1: 3,095

Post#68 » by tidho » Thu May 9, 2024 9:29 pm

jbk1234 wrote:Also, suffice to say that as good as he may be at scoring, Mitchell is not LBJ. I wasn't referring to LBJ. I'm looking at the Nets and Suns (given the recent Durant news).

Glancing back through a page or so of comments, i was surprised to see how necessary this comment appears to be.

Mitchell is really really good, but he's not a guy that's going to take you to a championship as the 1st option. He's an extremely high level #2 guy, likely the same best case as Mobley and Garland.
louc1970
Senior

Post#69 » by louc1970 » Fri May 10, 2024 1:07 am

Wolveswin wrote:
louc1970 wrote:

Allen
Herb
Ingram
Bridges
Mitchell

Cavaliers send Mobley

Yuk.

Mobley > Bridges + DFS and I think by a lot

Pels need more too. Herb and Claxton one can argue close in value. Ingram (even expiring) > Johnson

Way too good for Nets in this version.

Ingram is better than Johnson. The question is, is he worth $20M more than Johnson? And the Pels will have to pay Murphy as well.
So they are giving up Ingram (and his tax cost) for a cost controlled reserve and the increase Murphy gets.
toooskies
Assistant Coach

Post#70 » by toooskies » Fri May 10, 2024 1:42 am

tidho wrote:
jbk1234 wrote:Also, suffice to say that as good as he may be at scoring, Mitchell is not LBJ. I wasn't referring to LBJ. I'm looking at the Nets and Suns (given the recent Durant news).

Glancing back through a page or so of comments, i was surprised to see how necessary this comment appears to be.

Mitchell is really really good, but he's not a guy that's going to take you to a championship as the 1st option. He's an extremely high level #2 guy, likely the same best case as Mobley and Garland.

I'm pretty sure Mitchell is better now, on both sides of the ball, than Garland will ever be.
wegotthabeet
Analyst
And1: 1,982

Post#71 » by wegotthabeet » Fri May 10, 2024 2:23 am

Is he signing a max extension this summer? That might hurt his value knowing he’s going to get maxed.

Still super high on him despite that.

Would offer
1st overall pick (assuming the Raptors move up)
19th overall pick
2026 Indiana 1st
2028 Raptors pick unprotected.
Brown
Pöltl

1st overall pick + 2 unprotected picks + a mid first I think is pretty close. Of course Cleveland would want win now pieces though so a third team would be needed.
kds92
Pro Prospect
And1: 707

Post#72 » by kds92 » Fri May 10, 2024 5:09 am

Game 2 was who I thought he'd be. Maybe he's just come along slowly on the offensive end (and looked soft), but if he can keep this up he's easily one of the top 20 best values in the league
DevinVassell
Bench Warmer
And1: 860

Post#73 » by DevinVassell » Fri May 10, 2024 6:21 am

Mobley for Kuminga straight up makes too much sense... Cleveland should be all over that.
Wolveswin
General Manager
And1: 2,616

Post#74 » by Wolveswin » Fri May 10, 2024 8:27 am

DevinVassell wrote:Mobley for Kuminga straight up makes too much sense... Cleveland should be all over that.

lol I can’t tell if you meant green font.

Mobley >>>> Kuminga

I mean not close really.
DevinVassell
Bench Warmer
And1: 860

Post#75 » by DevinVassell » Fri May 10, 2024 12:03 pm

Wolveswin wrote:
DevinVassell wrote:Mobley for Kuminga straight up makes too much sense... Cleveland should be all over that.

Mobley >>>> Kuminga

I mean not close really.

Yes

Yes

and

Yes

This very trade was suggested over on the Warriors board recently. Fun!
DowJones
RealGM
And1: 6,861

Post#76 » by DowJones » Fri May 10, 2024 2:05 pm

Mobley's value is about what I see around here. Some trades are too extreme one way or the other but the value itself seems right.

I just don't see a Mobley trade anywhere that makes sense for the Cavs and the other team. Mobley for Bridges is not a deal I would do if I am Cleveland and I am unsure if the Nets would even be interested. Mobley for Ingram isn't right for Cleveland and I don't think the Pelicans would do Mobley/filler for Ingram and Murphy. OKC is not going to put Williams into a trade offer for Mobley and that is what the Cavs would ask for. The Cavs aren't going to want draft picks for Mobley.

On paper I think a larger trade of Mobley/Garland for Booker might make sense. Phoenix has a more well-rounded roster and Mitchell extends in Cleveland with Booker as his running mate. There is a 0% chance Gilbert and Ishbia work together on something this big.
jbk1234
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 32,630

Post#77 » by jbk1234 » Fri May 10, 2024 2:17 pm

DowJones wrote:Mobley's value is about what I see around here. Some trades are too extreme one way or the other but the value itself seems right.

I just don't see a Mobley trade anywhere that makes sense for the Cavs and the other team. Mobley for Bridges is not a deal I would do if I am Cleveland and I am unsure if the Nets would even be interested. Mobley for Ingram isn't right for Cleveland and I don't think the Pelicans would do Mobley/filler for Ingram and Murphy. OKC is not going to put Williams into a trade offer for Mobley and that is what the Cavs would ask for. The Cavs aren't going to want draft picks for Mobley.

On paper I think a larger trade of Mobley/Garland for Booker might make sense. Phoenix has a more well-rounded roster and Mitchell extends in Cleveland with Booker as his running mate. There is a 0% chance Gilbert and Ishbia work together on something this big.

I suspect even the idea of trading Mobley ended last night as far as the Cavs F.O. is concerned.
cbosh4mvp wrote:
Jarret Allen isn’t winning you anything. Garland won’t show up in the playoffs. Mobley is a glorified dunk man. Mitchell has some experience but is a liability on defense. To me, the Cavs are a treadmill team.
DowJones
RealGM
And1: 6,861

Post#78 » by DowJones » Fri May 10, 2024 3:08 pm

jbk1234 wrote:
DowJones wrote:Mobley's value is about what I see around here. Some trades are too extreme one way or the other but the value itself seems right.

I suspect even the idea of trading Mobley ended last night as far as the Cavs F.O. is concerned.

Yeah, I don't think you look to move Mobley at all. I don't think the Cavs ever considered moving Mobley.

Mitchell is obviously the offseason priority and after that is resolved you have to decide if you want to do the 2 bigs thing for a 4th straight year. I imagine the preference for the front office will be to just run it back.
toooskies
Assistant Coach

Post#79 » by toooskies » Fri May 10, 2024 4:02 pm

DevinVassell wrote:
Wolveswin wrote:

Mobley >>>> Kuminga

I mean not close really.

Yes

Yes

and

Yes

This very trade was suggested over on the Warriors board recently. Fun!

The Cavs will consider this when Kuminga becomes a DPOY candidate.
louc1970
Senior

Post#80 » by louc1970 » Fri May 10, 2024 4:53 pm

jbk1234 wrote:

I don't think the Cleveland FO ever has considered it. That is what us fans do.
That being said, how do the Cavs improve moving forward? The move is either resign Mitchell and trade Garland or trade Mitchell.
This playoff is showing the difference in their games. Both need the ball to be effective - either as scorers or distributors.

Teams that could use either as starting guard:
Magic - Garland for M. Wagner (heck for both of them). Is having a SF better for the Magic or to have a PG who can set everyone up and play through Banchero?
Heat - Garland for Herro/filler and picks. garland can run the offense, allowing Rozier to come off the bench, Herro gives Cleveland better shooting from 3.
Nets - Garland for Bridges/Sharpe but that really means Nets are in full rebuild. Garland being young gives them more time.
Raptors - but they have nothing to trade.
Wizards - Garland for Kuzma/Bagely. Cleveland gets back ups at both big positions which seems a need since Allen/Mobley play/sit hurt often. Value not the same but solves a problem for each team.
Pistons - Garland for Duren/Fournier. Pistons move Cunningham to the 2 and they have a backcourt for the future.
Nuggets - Garland for KPJ. Cavs get the SF they have been trying to get while the Nuggets move Murray to the 2 and reduce the injury risks for Porter.
Pelicans - Garland for Ingram, same result as with F. Wagner. Gets the Cavs the SF and returns the Pelicans a PG.
Spurs - Garland for role players and picks.
The other teams really have nothing else to offer that would be valuable.

Return to Trades and Transactions