The Embiid Sweepstakes

Moderators: Trader_Joe, loserX, Andre Roberstan, HartfordWhalers, BullyKing, Texas Chuck, MoneyTalks41890, Mamba4Goat, pacers33granger

JustBuzzin
General Manager
And1: 6,411

Re: If Embiid Asked Out... 

Post#41 » by JustBuzzin » Sat Mar 2, 2024 9:37 pm

GutUNC wrote:
JustBuzzin wrote:Embiid list will be NY or LA let's not kid ourselves. Dude loves the bright lights and attention.

MSG would treat him like Ewing in his prime.

That's quite literally the opposite of his personality.

Which isn't to say he'd shy away from another major market, but the guy has been criticized in the past for being to reclusive and is very rarely out in public.

As for the Knicks, I don't see the fit there that others are citing. They have a lot of picks, and those matter, but there's not a whole lot of quantity there as opposed to quality. Their best roster player is a no-go (Brunson), the guy who has to come back is not a building block player (Randle) and they don't have young roster pieces that would make a deal go.

It was reported in the off-season that he wanted to be in NY if they traded him.
Crives
General Manager
And1: 7,055

Post#42 » by Crives » Sat Mar 2, 2024 11:08 pm

the_process wrote:OKC, MEM, NOP, PHX.

I imagine Jo picks Phoenix. Booker is a great start to a trade package.

Phoenix isn’t trading book for embiid. Regardless of your opinion of book vs embiid ceiling, not worth trading a young top 10 player for a guy you have to expect to be injured in the post season

That’s not even taking into consideration how much book means to phx.
axeman23
Analyst
And1: 3,135

Post#43 » by axeman23 » Sun Mar 3, 2024 12:45 am

louc1970 wrote:
Wolveswin wrote:
louc1970 wrote:Those might be his choices, but only 2 have assets to get him.
The teams with the quantity of picks are best suited.
The other team in the hunt could be Cleveland -sending Mitchell and Allen plus anything else Philly wants pick wise.

Just so I read this right, Cavs wouldn’t have any picks to offer (maybe 2031), so Embiid would be left with Garland and Mobley, and empty war chest? In Cleveland?

Keep in mind the “whatever Philly would want” part.
I don’t see that team in Cleveland being any different than what Embiid has in Philly.
Maxey - Garland
Harris - Mobley
I know some are over the top on Mobley, I just don’t value him as much as most.

Philly can keep Joel or dump him on someone else. NO chance Cleveland does Mitchell and Allen for starters, let alone "add whatever Philly would want"! :lol:
the_process
RealGM
And1: 8,796

Post#44 » by the_process » Sun Mar 3, 2024 6:49 am

Always cracks me up when guys are off the table for an MVP.

Ok. Moving on.
Mrakar
Starter
And1: 2,581

Post#45 » by Mrakar » Sun Mar 3, 2024 7:00 am

JRoy wrote:Okc?

I hope not, it would be unwatchable with him and SGA foul-baiting whole game.

Knicks would be fun, they need 1A option but problem is they probably don't have enough assets. Also knowing Knicks luck he would get injured the moment his plane lands in NY.
If everything is going well, expect an WojBomb
#Pelslife :cry:
GutUNC
Assistant Coach
And1: 2,034

Post#46 » by GutUNC » Sun Mar 3, 2024 1:29 pm

JustBuzzin wrote:
GutUNC wrote:
JustBuzzin wrote:Embiid list will be NY or LA let's not kid ourselves. Dude loves the bright lights and attention.

MSG would treat him like Ewing in his prime.

That's quite literally the opposite of his personality.

Which isn't to say he'd shy away from another major market, but the guy has been criticized in the past for being to reclusive and is very rarely out in public.

As for the Knicks, I don't see the fit there that others are citing. They have a lot of picks, and those matter, but there's not a whole lot of quantity there as opposed to quality. Their best roster player is a no-go (Brunson), the guy who has to come back is not a building block player (Randle) and they don't have young roster pieces that would make a deal go.

It was reported in the off-season that he wanted to be in NY if they traded him.

It was floated by the Knicks, yes. You may also remember the rest of the report that said they “might” even be interested in offering 20% of his actual value. It was a running joke at the time.
GDTBATH
mcfly1204
General Manager
And1: 1,868

Post#47 » by mcfly1204 » Sun Mar 3, 2024 2:55 pm

the_process wrote:Always cracks me up when guys are off the table for an MVP.

Ok. Moving on.

Is it that straightforward though? We're talking about a 30 year old MVP with a significant injury history.
Well at least we're not Detroit!
Wolveswin
Head Coach
And1: 2,550

Post#48 » by Wolveswin » Sun Mar 3, 2024 3:07 pm

mcfly1204 wrote:

Ok. Moving on.

Is it that straightforward though? We're talking about a 30 year old MVP with a significant injury history.

Who is only locked in for 2x more years. Salary, years, age and injury history all have to be considered when trading the farm for Embiid.
GutUNC
Assistant Coach

Post#49 » by GutUNC » Sun Mar 3, 2024 4:32 pm

Wolveswin wrote:
mcfly1204 wrote:

Ok. Moving on.

Who is only locked in for 2x more years. Salary, years, age and injury history all have to be considered when trading the farm for Embiid.

So 1 year left on a star is a negative because he's a rental, 4+ years is a negative because of the long-term financial commitment and now 2 years is a negative because ???

It actually seems like the sweet spot, doesn't it?
GDTBATH
Wolveswin
Head Coach
And1: 2,550

Post#50 » by Wolveswin » Sun Mar 3, 2024 4:38 pm

GutUNC wrote:
Wolveswin wrote:
mcfly1204 wrote:Is it that straightforward though? We're talking about a 30 year old MVP with a significant injury history.

So 1 year left on a star is a negative because he's a rental, 4+ years is a negative because of the long-term financial commitment and now 2 years is a negative because ???

Huh?
the_process
RealGM

Post#51 » by the_process » Sun Mar 3, 2024 9:30 pm

mcfly1204 wrote:

Ok. Moving on.

Yes, it's that straightforward. If Embiid wasn't an MVP then sure you can throw the nuance.

He's one of like 6 true difference makers in the entire league. Guys who increase your championship odds significantly by themselves.
mcfly1204
General Manager

Post#52 » by mcfly1204 » Sun Mar 3, 2024 11:29 pm

the_process wrote:
mcfly1204 wrote:

Ok. Moving on.

Yes, it's that straightforward. If Embiid wasn't an MVP then sure you can throw the nuance.

He's one of like 6 true difference makers in the entire league. Guys who increase your championship odds significantly by themselves.

Yeah, that's tough. When have we had a MVP with an injury history like Embiid? Hard to gauge his value in a vacuum as you suggest.
SkyHook
Veteran
And1: 1,800

Post#53 » by SkyHook » Mon Mar 4, 2024 12:06 am

The Sebastian Express wrote:Joel is a fantastic player. MVP. Generational.

And a seven foot, three hundred pound man who is coming off a torn meniscus with past knee injuries.

I tihnk that might scare some teams off from putting the full pull-the-trigger offer on the table. Especially the ones with great young players.

But maybe that's just my trauma from Brandon's torn meniscus injuries.

This is exactly my thinking. What does a team offer for a superlative talent who is perpetually injured? I think quite a few teams would balk at proposing significant value.

Fans, sure, but FOs… not so sure.
Don’t make it personal, don’t take it personal.

Sellers don’t set market value. Buyers don’t set market value.
Market value only exists when two (or more) parties are in agreement.
NYG
RealGM
And1: 2,657

Post#54 » by NYG » Mon Mar 4, 2024 12:17 am

mcfly1204 wrote:
the_process wrote:
mcfly1204 wrote:

Yeah, that's tough. When have we had a MVP with an injury history like Embiid? Hard to gauge his value in a vacuum as you suggest.

Maybe Shaq to Miami? What would that be in modern times?
the_process
RealGM

Post#55 » by the_process » Mon Mar 4, 2024 12:24 am

SkyHook wrote:

And a seven foot, three hundred pound man who is coming off a torn meniscus with past knee injuries.

I tihnk that might scare some teams off from putting the full pull-the-trigger offer on the table. Especially the ones with great young players.

This is exactly my thinking. What does a team offer for a superlative talent who is perpetually injured? I think quite a few teams would balk at proposing significant value.

I feel like you have this backwards. Fans will obviously be reluctant, where FO's will want to win and push in where they have the chance.
SkyHook
Veteran
And1: 1,800

Post#56 » by SkyHook » Mon Mar 4, 2024 12:51 am

the_process wrote:
SkyHook wrote:

I feel like you have this backwards. Fans will obviously be reluctant, where FO's will want to win and push in where they have the chance.

Agree to disagree. It’s a massive risk, too big for many teams. It only takes one guy though to pull the trigger.
Don’t make it personal, don’t take it personal.

Sellers don’t set market value. Buyers don’t set market value.
Market value only exists when two (or more) parties are in agreement.
DowJones
RealGM
And1: 6,814

Post#57 » by DowJones » Mon Mar 4, 2024 1:10 am

How about Darius Garland and Evan Mobley
mcfly1204
General Manager

Post#58 » by mcfly1204 » Mon Mar 4, 2024 1:30 am

DowJones wrote:How about Darius Garland and Evan Mobley

I think it's Allen+, but a Allen+Garland deal is kind of funny when Phili would then be the current Cavs.
The Sebastian Express
Senior Mod - Trail Blazers
Senior Mod - Trail Blazers
And1: 9,865

Post#59 » by The Sebastian Express » Mon Mar 4, 2024 1:44 am

the_process wrote:
SkyHook wrote:

Joel is an elite talent. Generational, as I wrote. If he were on the trade block, if he had no significant injury concerns, he would likely get the best trade package ever considering his age and level of play.

But as someone who has witnessed first hand the longterm damage meniscus injuries can cause to someone with prior knee injuries, plus his overall size - I think front offices would be reluctant to give up top flight talent. A buttload of picks with good talent, yes. Great talent, sure. But I don't know if OKC trades Chet Holmgren plus picks. I don't know if they trade Holmgren plus JDub.

Joel already has trouble playing a full year. And my heart goes out to him and Philly fans for that one. I don't know if front offices throw everything in the trade pot for him coming off meniscus surgery (on top of previous injuries).

I think it'd be hard. Especially for the younger teams like OKC.
GutUNC
Assistant Coach

Post#60 » by GutUNC » Mon Mar 4, 2024 1:53 am

Wolveswin wrote:
GutUNC wrote:
Wolveswin wrote:Who is only locked in for 2x more years. Salary, years, age and injury history all have to be considered when trading the farm for Embiid.

Huh?

When a star player is on his last year, his value is depressed because he's a rental.

When a star player has 4-5 years left, his value is said to be depressed because of the long term financial commitment.

And now you're claiming that 2 years remaining is also a negative - which seems like a stretch to me.
GDTBATH

Return to Trades and Transactions