The Embiid Sweepstakes

Moderators: Trader_Joe, loserX, Andre Roberstan, HartfordWhalers, BullyKing, Texas Chuck, MoneyTalks41890, Mamba4Goat, pacers33granger

jayjaysee
King of the Trade Board
And1: 5,621

Re: If Embiid Asked Out... 

Post#21 » by jayjaysee » Fri Mar 1, 2024 7:14 pm

I don’t think this is close to being a reality. Philly will know really early if Pascal is coming. If he’s not, you just keep the entire roster from this year together and look to make a win now move once those guys are trade eligble, they have the trade assets for an all in deal. Give Tobias or Buddy a bloated 2 year deal. Give the other a four year cheaper per year... This roster is really good and Maxey is still young enough to bank up further development.

If Joel did ask out, I think almost every team in the league makes an all in offer. How many teams don’t feel good about their roster when adding an MVP.. OKC should be on every stars list at this point though and Presti should cash in..

I’m not sure he and Jimmy want a reunion.

Utah could build an offer around Collins+Kessler+George+5-? firsts and still have the assets to trade for a DJM and cap space to renegotiate Lauri.. meh
the_process
RealGM
And1: 8,798

Post#22 » by the_process » Fri Mar 1, 2024 7:21 pm

Wolveswin wrote:
Mike lorenzo wrote:Surprised that no one mentions the Nets and it would seem like a priority destination to me...the 76ers could recover their selections, they obtain the valuable future of the Mavs and those of the Suns.... C.Thomas/Clowney.. and the 76ers could sign Claxton directly into their slot.. and the Nets consolidate by looking for someone like Murray

Not sure Nets would want to sacrifice 2025 offseason CAP space AND spend all/most of their saved assets for a couple years of prime Embiid. Seems short sided. But maybe.

How about a 3 teamer…

To Suns: Embiid (seems like his best landing spot)

To Nets: Booker + Nurkic

To 76ers: Simmons (buyout) + Cam + Whitehead (and/or Clowney) + Picks-a-Plenty

Yes, Simmons back to 76ers. But he is bought out and never sets foot back in Philly nor remains in Brooklyn for when Booker arrives. Philly can start a proper rebuild around Maxey (not Booker who is flight risk).

As for picks to 76ers, with Nets and Suns involved, teams can get real creative. Including returning all current owed Suns 1sts and refreshing owed Suns amount to Philly. Return of 27 76ers owed (via Nets) of course.

Nets:
Nurkic
Johnson or DFS
Bridges
Booker
Schroder

Suns:
Embiid
KD
Committee
Beal
Committee

76ers:
Claxton (free agent or S&T?)
Reed
Committee
Cam Thomas
Maxey

Cut the Nets right out of that.
Wolveswin
Head Coach
And1: 2,550

Post#23 » by Wolveswin » Fri Mar 1, 2024 7:24 pm

the_process wrote:
Wolveswin wrote:
Mike lorenzo wrote:Surprised that no one mentions the Nets and it would seem like a priority destination to me...the 76ers could recover their selections, they obtain the valuable future of the Mavs and those of the Suns.... C.Thomas/Clowney.. and the 76ers could sign Claxton directly into their slot.. and the Nets consolidate by looking for someone like Murray

Not sure Nets would want to sacrifice 2025 offseason CAP space AND spend all/most of their saved assets for a couple years of prime Embiid. Seems short sided. But maybe.

How about a 3 teamer…

Yes, Simmons back to 76ers. But he is bought out and never sets foot back in Philly nor remains in Brooklyn for when Booker arrives. Philly can start a proper rebuild around Maxey (not Booker who is flight risk).

As for picks to 76ers, with Nets and Suns involved, teams can get real creative. Including returning all current owed Suns 1sts and refreshing owed Suns amount to Philly. Return of 27 76ers owed (via Nets) of course.

Nets:
Nurkic
Johnson or DFS
Bridges
Booker
Schroder

Suns:
Embiid
KD
Committee
Beal
Committee

76ers:
Reed
Committee
Cam Thomas
Maxey

76ers could. Not sure they see Booker and Maxey pairing as their post Embiid future. But if they do, of course.
the_process
RealGM

Post#24 » by the_process » Fri Mar 1, 2024 7:27 pm

Wolveswin wrote:
the_process wrote:
Wolveswin wrote:Not sure Nets would want to sacrifice 2025 offseason CAP space AND spend all/most of their saved assets for a couple years of prime Embiid. Seems short sided. But maybe.

How about a 3 teamer…

Nets:
Nurkic
Johnson or DFS
Bridges
Booker
Schroder

Suns:
Embiid
KD
Committee
Beal
Committee

76ers:
Reed
Committee
Cam Thomas
Maxey

76ers could. Not sure they see Booker and Maxey pairing as their post Embiid future. But if they do, of course.

Booker is far better than anything the Nets are offering in that trade.
ProcessDoctor
RealGM
And1: 5,260

Post#25 » by ProcessDoctor » Fri Mar 1, 2024 7:34 pm

Top 3 in some order: Miami, New York, and Oklahoma City.

The 2nd apron teams are pretty much out of the race here due to the restrictions.
2023-2024 Philadelphia 76ers:

Lowry/Payne/Downtin
Maxey/Melton/Hield
Oubre/Batum/Council
Harris/Covington/Martin
Embiid/Reed/Bamba
Wolveswin
Head Coach

Post#26 » by Wolveswin » Fri Mar 1, 2024 7:35 pm

the_process wrote:
Wolveswin wrote:
the_process wrote:

Booker is far better than anything the Nets are offering in that trade.

Of course. One is a rebuild trade around current centerpiece Maxey. One is Booker. Duh.
PistolPeteJR
RealGM
And1: 9,509

Post#27 » by PistolPeteJR » Fri Mar 1, 2024 7:52 pm

NY, LAL, honourable mention to MIA, OKC is the dark horse.
Wolveswin
Head Coach

Post#28 » by Wolveswin » Fri Mar 1, 2024 8:23 pm

I think Memphis should get more Embiid love.

Embiid for JJJ + Bane + #6

Is anyone beating that offer? Even OKC would have to put Chet on table, Jalen or Giddey and make up value with quantity in draft capital.

Grizzlies would still have all own future draft capital plus swaps (and couple owed swaps) plus youth for next trade. Easy get themselves a Kuzma or push for Mikal (using Kennard expiring).

Embiid
Aldama | Clarke | Jackson
Kuzma | Williams
Smart | VWJ
Ja | Rose
the_process
RealGM

Post#29 » by the_process » Fri Mar 1, 2024 8:47 pm

Wolveswin wrote:I think Memphis should get more Embiid love.

Embiid for JJJ + Bane + #6

Is anyone beating that offer? Even OKC would have to put Chet on table, Jalen or Giddey and make up value with quantity in draft capital.

Grizzlies would still have all own future draft capital plus swaps (and couple owed swaps) plus youth for next trade. Easy get themselves a Kuzma or push for Mikal (using Kennard expiring).

Embiid
Aldama | Clarke | Jackson
Kuzma | Williams
Smart | VWJ
Ja | Rose

That is the kind of offer that the Sixers would be looking for IMO, not 6-7 various 1sts over the next seven years with salary filler.
NYG
RealGM
And1: 2,662

Post#30 » by NYG » Fri Mar 1, 2024 9:17 pm

jayjaysee wrote:I don’t think this is close to being a reality. Philly will know really early if Pascal is coming. If he’s not, you just keep the entire roster from this year together and look to make a win now move once those guys are trade eligble, they have the trade assets for an all in deal. Give Tobias or Buddy a bloated 2 year deal. Give the other a four year cheaper per year... This roster is really good and Maxey is still young enough to bank up further development.

If Joel did ask out, I think almost every team in the league makes an all in offer. How many teams don’t feel good about their roster when adding an MVP.. OKC should be on every stars list at this point though and Presti should cash in..

Utah could build an offer around Collins+Kessler+George+5-? firsts and still have the assets to trade for a DJM and cap space to renegotiate Lauri.. meh

Is running it back going to keep Embiid around though? I feel like after losing Jimmy Butler, Ben Simmons and James Harden that he's going to expect someone useful as a 3rd guy with him and Maxey and I don't see that guy out there this summer.
jayjaysee
King of the Trade Board

Post#31 » by jayjaysee » Fri Mar 1, 2024 9:29 pm

NYG wrote:
Is running it back going to keep Embiid around though? I feel like after losing Jimmy Butler, Ben Simmons and James Harden that he's going to expect someone useful as a 3rd guy with him and Maxey and I don't see that guy out there this summer.

I mean.. I think you just keep your depth and jump when yo have the chance

Pay Melton to stay. Keep Reed, Nico, KJM.. Some of the other bench guys as well probably?

Aim to keep Tobias Harris at a reasonable number. If Detroit is offering him a huge deal, I’m going over the apron to keep him on a 2year bloated deal - say 70 mil? Give a team option on the end and call it 3yr102 or something. 37/34/31 type. With the hope that he’s my big contract matching ability when a trade for an upgrade becomes available.

If Harris is willing to sign for a nice 4 year deal (I’ll say 22 mil a year average since he will be 32? But maybe more/less whatever you feel) then.. I’m giving Buddy that big contract and hoping hes the piece I use to trade for a piece better than Harris.

And as long as I’m aggressively doing that, I think Joel will be happy. He loves the city and the city loves him. And they’re looking for a third star, not a second star..
jayjaysee
King of the Trade Board

Post#32 » by jayjaysee » Fri Mar 1, 2024 10:12 pm

If Joel asks out..

Maxey is going to have a few of lingering injuries all season…we are locking in a bottom 2 record next season. 100% keeping my pick and building a roster 2025 offseason. Just feel so much better with Bailey/Maxey and a huge asset base with two firsts owed than trying to retool after trading a generational player. Take the year off and grieve.. I hope Dallas has the ability to do that (probably won’t as the firsts are all pretty unprotected)
Residual-Heat
Sixth Man
And1: 1,114

Post#33 » by Residual-Heat » Fri Mar 1, 2024 10:55 pm

for Embiid a guy like Wagner would be available IMO. I would hate to give up Wagner, and not sure i care to watch Embiid and Paolo go to the FT line 50 times a game, but probably have to do it if Embiid is healthy.

He'd be the best player on his team and can lead a franchise to its first championship. Dont know how much he cares about that vs joining other established superstars but would be nice to see.

I doubt he'd want to go to orlando though.. Celtics with Tatum would be nice. BKN if they can sign Mitchell would be nice. If the Bucks can find a way to pair him with Giannis, that could be a crazy front court.
louc1970
Senior
And1: 170

Post#34 » by louc1970 » Fri Mar 1, 2024 11:55 pm

Wolveswin wrote:
louc1970 wrote:
NYG wrote:Celtics, Mavericks, Warriors, Lakers, Clippers, Miami, New York is probably the list, right?

If Boston put Brown on the table they could make the best offer... otherwise I have it between Miami and NY

Those might be his choices, but only 2 have assets to get him.
The teams with the quantity of picks are best suited.
The other team in the hunt could be Cleveland -sending Mitchell and Allen plus anything else Philly wants pick wise.

Just so I read this right, Cavs wouldn’t have any picks to offer (maybe 2031), so Embiid would be left with Garland and Mobley, and empty war chest? In Cleveland?

Keep in mind the “whatever Philly would want” part.
I don’t see that team in Cleveland being any different than what Embiid has in Philly.
Maxey - Garland
Harris - Mobley
I know some are over the top on Mobley, I just don’t value him as much as most.
The Sebastian Express
Senior Mod - Trail Blazers
Senior Mod - Trail Blazers
And1: 9,872

Post#35 » by The Sebastian Express » Sat Mar 2, 2024 12:36 am

Joel is a fantastic player. MVP. Generational.

And a seven foot, three hundred pound man who is coming off a torn meniscus with past knee injuries.

I tihnk that might scare some teams off from putting the full pull-the-trigger offer on the table. Especially the ones with great young players.

But maybe that's just my trauma from Brandon's torn meniscus injuries.
NYG
RealGM

Post#36 » by NYG » Sat Mar 2, 2024 3:16 am

jayjaysee wrote:
NYG wrote:

Pay Melton to stay. Keep Reed, Nico, KJM.. Some of the other bench guys as well probably?

Aim to keep Tobias Harris at a reasonable number. If Detroit is offering him a huge deal, I’m going over the apron to keep him on a 2year bloated deal - say 70 mil? Give a team option on the end and call it 3yr102 or something. 37/34/31 type. With the hope that he’s my big contract matching ability when a trade for an upgrade becomes available.

If Harris is willing to sign for a nice 4 year deal (I’ll say 22 mil a year average since he will be 32? But maybe more/less whatever you feel) then.. I’m giving Buddy that big contract and hoping hes the piece I use to trade for a piece better than Harris.

And as long as I’m aggressively doing that, I think Joel will be happy. He loves the city and the city loves him. And they’re looking for a third star, not a second star..

I don't know... between The Process, Ben Simmons and James Harden... if the 76ers have no guarantee of being on Boston's level, I could see Embiid finally asking out.

I hate to sound biased, but I think it would end up being the Knicks strictly because of why most stars end up where they want to go and I think the Knicks would beat the Lakers best offer. I think it would take a lot of convincing to get Embiid to New Orleans or OKC. I personally think Embiid wouldn't be a great fit in NY, he isn't Ewing in terms of toughness and would be expected to be Ewing by both the fans and Thibs, but also think in this crazy hypothetical that they would be the favorites.

Either way... do you think bringing back Melton, Hield and Harris on front-loaded salary matching deals would be enough to keep Embiid happy? What happens if the Lakers, Nets, Knicks, Thunder, Spurs, etc. outbid them for the next star that becomes available at the 2025 deadline? At what point, is it that Morey needs to get a 3rd star or Embiid will be the star that asks out?
NYG
RealGM

Post#37 » by NYG » Sat Mar 2, 2024 12:45 pm

NYG wrote:
jayjaysee wrote:I don’t think this is close to being a reality. Philly will know really early if Pascal is coming. If he’s not, you just keep the entire roster from this year together and look to make a win now move once those guys are trade eligble, they have the trade assets for an all in deal. Give Tobias or Buddy a bloated 2 year deal. Give the other a four year cheaper per year... This roster is really good and Maxey is still young enough to bank up further development.

Would absorbing Zach LaVine into cap space be enough of an upgrade to keep Embiid happy? Would Chicago let LaVine go for just savings? Could LaVine/Maxey work?
jayjaysee
King of the Trade Board

Post#38 » by jayjaysee » Sat Mar 2, 2024 1:06 pm

NYG wrote:
Either way... do you think bringing back Melton, Hield and Harris on front-loaded salary matching deals would be enough to keep Embiid happy? What happens if the Lakers, Nets, Knicks, Thunder, Spurs, etc. outbid them for the next star that becomes available at the 2025 deadline? At what point, is it that Morey needs to get a 3rd star or Embiid will be the star that asks out?

I think Joel is happy in Philly. And I think the roster is good enough around Joel/Maxey to contend if Philly somehow fails to upgrade the roster. the team is built around him and they’re 26-8 on games he’s played this season..

I don’t think Joel will ask out in general and don’t think Philly needs a third star? They just need to upgrade a starter without losing the other four… But don’t think every team needs a “big three” ..

If Joel does ask out, I think it’ll be similar to Dame, so in 2-3 years once he’s trade eligible after extension. Hopefully he handles the ending better than Dame did* but he’s going to give the team every chance to build around him like Dame did.
Wolveswin
Head Coach

Post#39 » by Wolveswin » Sat Mar 2, 2024 3:28 pm

NYG wrote:
jayjaysee wrote:
NYG wrote:

I don't know... between The Process, Ben Simmons and James Harden... if the 76ers have no guarantee of being on Boston's level, I could see Embiid finally asking out.

I hate to sound biased, but I think it would end up being the Knicks strictly because of why most stars end up where they want to go and I think the Knicks would beat the Lakers best offer. I think it would take a lot of convincing to get Embiid to New Orleans or OKC. I personally think Embiid wouldn't be a great fit in NY, he isn't Ewing in terms of toughness and would be expected to be Ewing by both the fans and Thibs, but also think in this crazy hypothetical that they would be the favorites.

Knicks offer is just a lot of quantity. Meaning, ton of protected owed 1sts and ton of future Knicks 1sts. Knicks would need to get very creative. Starting an offer with Robinson + Bogdanovic as salary filler, isn’t overly sexy.
GutUNC
Assistant Coach
And1: 2,034

Post#40 » by GutUNC » Sat Mar 2, 2024 8:28 pm

JustBuzzin wrote:Embiid list will be NY or LA let's not kid ourselves. Dude loves the bright lights and attention.

MSG would treat him like Ewing in his prime.

That's quite literally the opposite of his personality.

Which isn't to say he'd shy away from another major market, but the guy has been criticized in the past for being to reclusive and is very rarely out in public.

As for the Knicks, I don't see the fit there that others are citing. They have a lot of picks, and those matter, but there's not a whole lot of quantity there as opposed to quality. Their best roster player is a no-go (Brunson), the guy who has to come back is not a building block player (Randle) and they don't have young roster pieces that would make a deal go.
GDTBATH

Return to Trades and Transactions