CJ Trade Value?

Moderators: Trader_Joe, loserX, Andre Roberstan, HartfordWhalers, BullyKing, Texas Chuck, MoneyTalks41890, Mamba4Goat, pacers33granger

lordjeff05
Analyst
And1: 770

Re: CJ Trade Value? 

Post#41 » by lordjeff05 » Sun Mar 31, 2024 4:04 am

MKWB wrote:Let's say Griffin grows a pair and wants to make a big win-now trade to take this team to the next level. The major shift is making Murphy III available in trades, since he will have a lot of trade value but isn't consistent enough to have a tough contract negotiation with soon.

What's your trade to add a core piece with assets of Murphy III, Daniels, Hawkins, and many picks to offer? Nance as epiring $10m expiring contract filler. McCullom can be traded, too, but in this scenario the idea is to keep him with the core of Zion, Ingram, Herb, McCullom (for now). Ownership has let you know they are willing to go into the tax for a true difference maker.

Lauri and/or DeJounte are the main ones that come to mind.

See this gets back to my fixation of a point Zion lineup…I don’t think I can imagine a 3rd option for that lineup that will be as good and as cheap as Trey. Lauri is gonna need to be paid in 25. DeJounte has shot well but he’s not as big as Trey and he hasn’t sold out on defense in forever.

People talk about the fit of BI and Z but in a lineup like that I think the fit is better.

Lauri would be amazing for this team but I don’t see how is gettable.
lordjeff05
Analyst

Post#42 » by lordjeff05 » Sun Mar 31, 2024 4:08 am

Texas Chuck wrote:So I was pretty tough on this guy as a Blazer, but I've seen a lot of numbers this year that the Pels winning is tied very heavily to CJ. When he plays well they win. Period. I'd have zero interest in just salary dumping the guy. Especially if the belief is oh we can depend on Zion/BI. I think that's a super dicey plan. I don't think he's actually a luxury. I'd cut salary elsewhere personally.

Yeah I agree. He has been pretty critical to us on and off the court. I’d love to see him play pretty similar numbers for us next year so long as we are open to him not always being in our crunch time lineups.

I was at the game today and it’s rough to see CJ picked on pretty easily. It cause constant rotation from the rear of the team and in the playoffs that gets exploited.
MKWB
Sixth Man
And1: 627

Post#43 » by MKWB » Sun Mar 31, 2024 4:28 am

lordjeff05 wrote:
But agreed, front court is the place to see what happens. I kinda think Filipowski could be a fit. I think he’s got a skill set that meshes with our offense and defense but I’m not sure I trust him as took to get major minutes next year.

Filipowski would be great, but he's likely going lottery, and we assume Griffin will defer the Lakers pick to next year's stronger draft. Trade up could be possible I guess. Still, Willie doesn't play rookies big minutes no matter what, it seems.
MKWB
Sixth Man
And1: 627

Post#44 » by MKWB » Sun Mar 31, 2024 4:38 am

lordjeff05 wrote:
See this gets back to my fixation of a point Zion lineup…I don’t think I can imagine a 3rd option for that lineup that will be as good and as cheap as Trey. Lauri is gonna need to be paid in 25. DeJounte has shot well but he’s not as big as Trey and he hasn’t sold out on defense in forever.

People talk about the fit of BI and Z but in a lineup like that I think the fit is better.

Lauri would be amazing for this team but I don’t see how is gettable.

But Trey is gonna need to get paid in '25, too. Trey at $30mil/yr or Lauri at 40? So this would basically be paying 10mil. extra per year for a better, bigger shooter in Lauri who could play the 5 more naturally than Trey.

Jazz are at a crossroads, tanking mid-season 2 straight years in a row with soon to be 27 y/o Lauri. Next 3 drafts have potentially generational prospects in Flagg, Boozer, Demboya. Ainge is notorious for being coldly unattached to any set player for trade. If he gets an offer of some combination of Murphy and/or Dyson/Hawkins and picks- he will consider it.

I'd even consider taking back Collins with McCullom going to a 3rd team, if that helped push the deal through since Willie loves small-ball so much.
lordjeff05
Analyst

Post#45 » by lordjeff05 » Sun Mar 31, 2024 12:06 pm

MKWB wrote:
lordjeff05 wrote:
But agreed, front court is the place to see what happens. I kinda think Filipowski could be a fit. I think he’s got a skill set that meshes with our offense and defense but I’m not sure I trust him as took to get major minutes next year.

Filipowski would be great, but he's likely going lottery, and we assume Griffin will defer the Lakers pick to next year's stronger draft. Trade up could be possible I guess. Still, Willie doesn't play rookies big minutes no matter what, it seems.

You’re right we should assume Flip would likely get 10 to 20 minutes tops. Not everybody is going to be Herb. Even Trey got decent burn towards the end of the season but that was mostly due to injury.

Return to Trades and Transactions