POR - SAC

Moderators: Trader_Joe, loserX, Andre Roberstan, HartfordWhalers, BullyKing, Texas Chuck, MoneyTalks41890, Mamba4Goat, pacers33granger

Who Wins the Trade?

POR by a lot
No votes
POR
No votes
POR by a little
11%
Both / Fair Trade
22%
SAC by a little
56%
SAC
11%
SAC by a lot
No votes
Neither
No votes

Total votes: 9

bpcox05
Veteran
And1: 485

POR - SAC 

Post#1 » by bpcox05 » Fri Apr 12, 2024 2:55 pm

***Trade is only possible if the Kings miss the playoffs***

---------------------------------------

POR Gets: Harrison Barnes, Kevin Huerter, & 2024 SAC 1st (#13 or # 14)
POR Gives: Jerami Grant & 2024 CHA 2nd (#33)
Why for POR? The Blazers clear a lot of long term salary in Grant and swap the 33rd pick for the 13th or 14th pick to give them a more valuable young asset to add to their rebuild. Barnes is also a great veteran mentor if they want to keep him around but he can also provide spacing for their young guys. Huerter can also help spread the floor for their young guys but at 25 years old, he may be a longer term fit.

PG - Henderson / Brogdon / Banton
SG - Simons / Thybulle / Rupert
SF - Sharpe / Huerter / Walker
PF - Barnes / Murray / Camara
C - Ayton / Williams / Reath

SAC Gets: Jerami Grant & 2024 CHA 2nd (#33)
SAC Gives: Harrison Barnes, Kevin Huerter, & 2024 SAC 1st (#13 or # 14)
Why for SAC? I think it’s apparent that the Kings need another go-to scorer to go along with Fox and Monk. We’re hopeful that Murray can grow into that type of player but he’s not there yet. Grant gives the Kings that 3rd go-to scorer allowing Murray and Sabonis to fill those secondary scoring roles. Not only is Grant an efficient go-to scorer but his usage isn’t very high which still gives space for Murray to grow offensively and still allows Sabonis to play that ideal facilitator role. On top of him being a low usage, go-to scorer he also is a great shooter allowing us to continue to space the floor for Fox and Sabonis. Defensively, Grant has much better length than Barnes (something the Kings desperately need) and is likely an upgrade defensively over Barnes. Although we lose a lottery pick, we do at least get back an early 2nd to try and add a cheap rotational player (which will be needed knowing how much money will have to go to Fox, Monk, Murray, Grant, and Sabonis).

PG - Fox / Mitchell
SG - Ellis / Monk* / Jones / Duarte
SF - Murray / Vezenkov / Edwards*
PF - Grant / Lyles
C - Sabonis / Len*
* resigned

cucad8
Head Coach
And1: 1,141

Re: POR - SAC 

Post#2 » by cucad8 » Fri Apr 12, 2024 3:32 pm

I like the value for Portland, I think the biggest issue would be the amount of salary being added, while already sitting above the tax or close. They increase their payroll with the players by about 5 million, and then even more with the guaranteed salary of the 13th pick.
Still, I'd do it as a Portland fan, and then look to move other $$ around. A follow up trade of Simons, Thybulle, etc.
BlazersBroncos
RealGM
And1: 7,958

Post#3 » by BlazersBroncos » Fri Apr 12, 2024 3:40 pm

Would prefer a future FRP but this would be hard to pass on.

Can we find a 3rd team for Huerter? Think he has more value to a team without 1,000 guards already rostered. Banton also has played well enough to be penciled in as a backup next year - whether its at PG, SG or even SF who knows. But he has flashed (Albeit alot of guys flash on bad teams - still dont see us 'deep benching' him.)

Maybe route Huerter to SAS and send Graham and a gaggle of SRP to PDX? They could use more shooting w/ Wemby and moving off Graham means adding Kevin doesnt mess any cap plan up more or less.
Village Idiot
General Manager
And1: 2,008

Post#4 » by Village Idiot » Fri Apr 12, 2024 4:09 pm

Portland won't want another 1st in this poor draft. Make it into an unprotected 25 1st and its a deal. We'd throw in Murray too to united the twins.
"There are no right answers to wrong questions." - Ursula K. Le Guin
bpcox05
Veteran

Post#5 » by bpcox05 » Fri Apr 12, 2024 4:45 pm

Village Idiot wrote:Portland won't want another 1st in this poor draft. Make it into an unprotected 25 1st and it’s a deal. We'd throw in Murray too to united the twins.

Set aside the point that the Kings wouldn’t give up an unprotected pick for this type of return…that trade would be illegal in this case as the Kings first would be tied up with ATL for 2025 and 2026. The earliest 1st you could receive from SAC would be either 2027 or 2028 (depending on when the pick conveys to ATL).

I think the original proposal makes more sense for all parties.
LightTheBeam
RealGM
And1: 10,604

Post#6 » by LightTheBeam » Fri Apr 12, 2024 4:50 pm

To me this is more doubling down on a roster that just isn't good enough.

I'm either trying to add more picks to this package and trade for Bridges, or I'm keeping the pick and hoping I strike gold. Rather go for the lotto than another 30+ year old flawed/overpaid player.
bpcox05
Veteran

Post#7 » by bpcox05 » Fri Apr 12, 2024 5:57 pm

LightTheBeam wrote:To me this is more doubling down on a roster that just isn't good enough.

I'm either trying to add more picks to this package and trade for Bridges, or I'm keeping the pick and hoping I strike gold. Rather go for the lotto than another 30+ year old flawed/overpaid player.

One of the advantages of this trade is that it still allows you to do a trade like that in the future (if necessary).

We’d be giving POR our 2024 1st. We’d then play the 2024-25 season with an upgraded roster in hopes of returning to the playoffs. Then our 2025 1st conveys to ATL after the 2024-25 season (assuming we don’t finish bottom 12 which seems unlikely) freeing up all of our future 1sts for trades while still having the following players under contract:

PG - Fox / Monk*
SG - Ellis / Jones
SF - Murray / Edwards*
PF - Grant / Vezenkov
C - Sabonis / Len*
2024 Picks - CHA 2nd / SAC 2nd
2025 Picks - POR 2nd / SAC 2nd
*assuming we resigned them in the 2024 off-season
JRoy
RealGM
And1: 10,524

Post#8 » by JRoy » Fri Apr 12, 2024 6:11 pm

This works for me without changes. SAC can use the upgrade and POR can use the pick.
Edrees wrote:
JRoy wrote:Monta Ellis have it all

I was hoping and expecting this to be one of the first replies. You did not disappoint. Jroy have it all.
LightTheBeam
RealGM
And1: 10,604

Post#9 » by LightTheBeam » Fri Apr 12, 2024 6:54 pm

bpcox05 wrote:
LightTheBeam wrote:To me this is more doubling down on a roster that just isn't good enough.

One of the advantages of this trade is that it still allows you to do a trade like that in the future (if necessary).

We’d be giving POR our 2024 1st. We’d then play the 2024-25 season with an upgraded roster in hopes of returning to the playoffs. Then our 2025 1st conveys to ATL after the 2024-25 season (assuming we don’t finish bottom 12 which seems unlikely) freeing up all of our future 1sts for trades while still having the following players under contract:

PG - Fox / Monk*
SG - Ellis / Jones
SF - Murray / Edwards*
PF - Grant / Vezenkov
C - Sabonis / Len*
2024 Picks - CHA 2nd / SAC 2nd
2025 Picks - POR 2nd / SAC 2nd
*assuming we resigned them in the 2024 off-season

I see where you are going. It wouldn't be the end of the world, just not the direction I'd choose. If we are giving a lotto pick, at minimum i'd want to include Duarte for Thybulle swap
tacos
Senior
And1: 385

Post#10 » by tacos » Fri Apr 12, 2024 7:32 pm

This add salary to us as we are already over the tax

Harrison Barnes should be routed elsewhere and Kevin Huerter is about to have a major shoulder surgery even though he's owed substantial money for the next two years

A late lottery pick is appealing but we have lots of pics in this draft and it is an ugly draft not likely to trade favorably to Future draft picks
BlazersBroncos
RealGM
And1: 7,958

Post#11 » by BlazersBroncos » Fri Apr 12, 2024 8:05 pm

tacos wrote:This add salary to us as we are already over the tax

Harrison Barnes should be routed elsewhere and Kevin Huerter is about to have a major shoulder surgery even though he's owed substantial money for the next two years

A late lottery pick is appealing but we have lots of pics in this draft and it is an ugly draft not likely to trade favorably to Future draft picks

PDX has shown an allergy to a full blown tank rebuild so I think they would want a quality vet and good character guy like Harrison.

Think this works better w/ Heurter -

PDX OUT - Jerami Grant, #33
PDX IN - Harrison Barnes, Devonte' Graham, #14, 2027 ATL SRP, 2030 CLE SRP, 2031 SAS SRP

SAC OUT - Harrison Barnes, Kevin Huerter, #14
SAC IN - Jerami Grant, #33

SAS OUT - Devonte' Graham, 2027 ATL SRP, 2030 CLE SRP, 2031 SAS SRP
SAS IN - Kevin Huerter

PDX - Retains a veteran forward while adding a LP and some future 2nds - Graham is waived / bought out (His deal is 1 year, Kevin is 2)
SAC - Upgrades to Jerami in a win-now move + moving Huerter as well ideally makes signing Monk more possible
SAS - Adds a shooter while losing only 4M in cap room while only losing some SRP and the worthless Graham
DiegoChara
Junior
And1: 409

Post#12 » by DiegoChara » Fri Apr 12, 2024 11:31 pm

bpcox05 wrote:
Village Idiot wrote:Portland won't want another 1st in this poor draft. Make it into an unprotected 25 1st and it’s a deal. We'd throw in Murray too to united the twins.

Set aside the point that the Kings wouldn’t give up an unprotected pick for this type of return…that trade would be illegal in this case as the Kings first would be tied up with ATL for 2025 and 2026. The earliest 1st you could receive from SAC would be either 2027 or 2028 (depending on when the pick conveys to ATL).

Personally I think a 2027 or 2028 pick makes much more sense for the Blazers. I get why the Kings wouldn’t want to do that though.
bpcox05
Veteran

Post#13 » by bpcox05 » Sat Apr 13, 2024 2:47 pm

DiegoChara wrote:
bpcox05 wrote:

Personally I think a 2027 or 2028 pick makes much more sense for the Blazers. I get why the Kings wouldn’t want to do that though.

That’d be a deal breaker for me. A big part of the allure of this trade is that it maintains our future pick flexibility to improve/tweak the roster. If we change the pick to be a 27 or 28, we’re essentially locked into that core going forward.
bpcox05
Veteran

Post#14 » by bpcox05 » Sat Apr 13, 2024 2:48 pm

Well with Kings losing last night, the likelihood that this trade would be possible increased…
Myth
General Manager
And1: 8,572

Post#15 » by Myth » Sat Apr 13, 2024 3:23 pm

I’m on board.
Texas Chuck
Senior Mod - NBA TnT Forum
Senior Mod - NBA TnT Forum
And1: 89,468

Post#16 » by Texas Chuck » Sat Apr 13, 2024 4:04 pm

Probably not unreasonable to forward Barnes on to a cap space team right? Wouldn't Detroit love a veteran like this? Solves the money issue for Portland.

For the Kings I think they need to feel really good about Monk coming back to justify this.
ThunderBolt wrote:I’m going to let some of you in on a little secret I learned on realgm. If you don’t like a thread, not only do you not have to comment but you don’t even have to open it and read it. You’re welcome.
BoogieTime
Head Coach
And1: 2,784

Post#17 » by BoogieTime » Sat Apr 13, 2024 7:17 pm

Texas Chuck wrote:Probably not unreasonable to forward Barnes on to a cap space team right? Wouldn't Detroit love a veteran like this? Solves the money issue for Portland.

For the Kings I think they need to feel really good about Monk coming back to justify this.

Yeah. Although Monk had an injury to end the season, I’m still one who believes he will get an offer we need cap to match

And a younger, around 20/7 in starters minutes, improving Monk takes precedent over these Grant/Kuzma types

Deal needs to be made after Monk in fold
Norm2953
RealGM
And1: 1,869

Post#18 » by Norm2953 » Sat Apr 13, 2024 10:56 pm

One would Grant would be great fit in Detroit, especially they draft Sarr #1. That is one offensively challenged team if they had Ausar, Duren, Sarr, etc
oldncreaky
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 4,505

Post#19 » by oldncreaky » Sun Apr 14, 2024 12:05 am

BoogieTime wrote:
Texas Chuck wrote:Probably not unreasonable to forward Barnes on to a cap space team right? Wouldn't Detroit love a veteran like this? Solves the money issue for Portland.

Yeah. Although Monk had an injury to end the season, I’m still one who believes he will get an offer we need cap to match

And a younger, around 20/7 in starters minutes, improving Monk takes precedent over these Grant/Kuzma types

Deal needs to be made after Monk in fold

I'm good with it for Detroit

Once Detroit inevitably strikes out on FAs, taking on Barnes for cap space will look like an outstanding deal -- much better than overpaying Tobias Harris for similar role/productivity
Vinnie became the Microwave in May 1985, zapping the Celtics in Joe Louis
OxAndFox
Analyst
And1: 2,167

Post#20 » by OxAndFox » Sun Apr 14, 2024 5:29 am

Honestly if the Kings miss the POs and keep their pick Monte needs to trade down to a late 1st and get a future pick. Preferably 2025 so it still opens up all picks to trade. That should be the #1 priority if the Kings miss the POs.

Return to Trades and Transactions