McNair

Moderators: Trader_Joe, loserX, Andre Roberstan, HartfordWhalers, BullyKing, Texas Chuck, MoneyTalks41890, Mamba4Goat, pacers33granger

SNPA
General Manager
And1: 7,309

McNair 

Post#1 » by SNPA » Fri Apr 12, 2024 3:28 pm

Let’s talk about last year’s EOY.

When he came to Sac the culture was bad, but his asset base for a new GM wasn’t too shabby. He had a young future all-star/all-NBA player in Fox. He had two early-mid career playoff caliber wings (Barnes/Bogi) and he had all of his picks plus a ton of additional second rounders (which he has been using). He didn’t have a single albatross contract, good overall cap situation and some movable pieces.

McNair’s first real move was to let Bogi walk for nothing when he could have kept him. Later, McNair traded a first with years of protections to get Huerter, a Bogi replacement who isn’t as good. Overall for his first couple season McNair didn’t actually do much, there were memes with the hand drawn figure with a stick poking at something and asking it to do something.

What he inherited that was truly terrible was Luke Walton. We all knew he’d be stuck with Luke for a year. Then the next year came and…he kept Luke and said Luke was the guy to turn things around. Later that year, it got so bad a fan barfed all over the floor -The Puke Walton Game- and before the next game Luke was fired. McNair let Alvin Gentry ride out the rest of a miserable season.

McNair knew he had to do something dramatic or he was likely toast. Fortunately he had drafted well, using the picks he inherited, and had a young emerging Hali who had unbelievably fallen to 13. McNair goes for it and makes the trade. It works for both sides but there are still some fans, me included, who think getting Sabonis was awesome but trading Hali should have been off limits. We don’t know what Fox/Hali looked like with a real coach and system.

Anyhow…then last year happens. He drafted good again, using the picks left for him, and got Murray and signed Monk and the Kings went on a run and broke they playoff draught. He had a really strong few months and it was a great year.

However, during and since that great year McNair has gone dormant again. He did nothing at the deadline. Over the summer as the West all got better, he did nothing. At the deadline this season, zip.

To recap, McNair came in and didn’t do much for a couple seasons. He then had a great few months. Since then he hasn’t done anything for coming up on a second season. Meanwhile, everyone else got better and the Kings are now a play-in team with no chance. Ref won’t let them beat James/Curry/Durant and the Nuggets would crush them. It’s over. A wasted season basically.

What comes next?

McNair needs to accomplish something big this off-season. He needs to add a third star or perfect PF compliment or trade one of Fox/Sabonis. That’s it. He has to do one of those three things and it has to work. If he doesn’t, if he sits or make moves on the margins by the time the deadline comes his seat will be hot.

Next I will address those three options.
SNPA
General Manager

Re: McNair 

Post#2 » by SNPA » Fri Apr 12, 2024 3:37 pm

Third star. This is the option where he throws all the picks he can and maybe Keegan. He would have to get a clear all star level player who fits Sabonis/Fox and keep enough talent to win.

PF compliment, this is where he keeps Keegan but throws everything else not named Fox/Sabonis. There have been many threads on this. We all know the archetype….rim protecting, switchable, 3pt shooter.

Side note - if he loses Monk, because he didn’t sign him to the additional year to get full Bird rights, McNair would have to get a third star. Merely getting the PF compliment wouldn’t be enough under that scenario.

Or…

Last is the nuclear option. This is the option I’d like to discuss most in this thread…trading one of Fox/Sabonis.

I’ve looked around the league and I don’t see any opportunities to trade Fox and get better. The PG position is saturated. That leaves Sabonis.

Sabonis for Zion. This can make sense for both and/or look bad for both. I think there’s a case to be made.

Sabonis for Brown (if Celtics don’t win title). Again, I see a case here.
Godaddycurse
RealGM
And1: 10,423

Post#3 » by Godaddycurse » Fri Apr 12, 2024 3:39 pm

SNPA wrote:
I’ve looked around the league and I don’t see any opportunities to trade Fox and get better. The PG position is saturated. That leaves Sabonis.

Sabonis for Zion. This can make sense for both and/or look bad for both. I think there’s a case to be made.

It's a pretty bad look to trade the star who ended your playoff drought and willingly signed an extension not too long ago
SNPA
General Manager

Post#4 » by SNPA » Fri Apr 12, 2024 3:48 pm

Godaddycurse wrote:
SNPA wrote:

It's a pretty bad look to trade the star who ended your playoff drought and willingly signed an extension not too long ago

If McNair doesn’t get the Kings to a playoff series next year Kings fans will turn on him.

A Fox/Zion combo is easier to build around and brings new life to the team and his tenure. Same for a Fox/Brown combo. I’m not convinced either of those are an actual upgrade in player but I think both make Sac easier to build around and more in line with the modern NBA.
Euphonetiks
Pro Prospect
And1: 347

Post#5 » by Euphonetiks » Fri Apr 12, 2024 4:07 pm

SNPA wrote:Sabonis for Zion. This can make sense for both and/or look bad for both. I think there’s a case to be made.

Pels are not moving Zion for Sabonis. Just looking at it from a marketing perspective, Zion sells. He's young (23) and still has the reputation that he can grow into a superstar. His game is exciting and people want to watch him which means national exposure and name recognition with casual fans. This is important in a tiny southern market.

Sabonis is what he is at this point. An efficient double-double machine, but not a superstar and no hope of becomign one at 27. Sabonis is not someone you could build an effective marketing camapaign around in New Orleans.

That doesn't even get into the difficulty of building a team around Sabonis from the basketball side.
SNPA
General Manager

Post#6 » by SNPA » Fri Apr 12, 2024 4:10 pm

Euphonetiks wrote:
SNPA wrote:Sabonis for Zion. This can make sense for both and/or look bad for both. I think there’s a case to be made.

Pels are not moving Zion for Sabonis. Just looking at it from a marketing perspective, Zion sells. He's young (23) and still has the reputation that he can grow into a superstar. His game is exciting and people want to watch him which means national exposure and name recognition with casual fans. This is important in a tiny southern market.

Sabonis is what he is at this point. An efficient double-double machine, but not a superstar and no hope of becomign one at 27. Sabonis is not someone you could build an effective marketing camapaign around in New Orleans.

That doesn't even get into the difficulty of building a team around Sabonis from the basketball side.

Marketing plays a role for sure…so does injury, weight and desire though.

I think Sabonis makes them a better team. BI and all those long defensive wings and guards that can shoot…perfect fit. They are a better team. No one would want to face that team, Nuggets included.
BoogieTime
Head Coach
And1: 2,784

Post#7 » by BoogieTime » Fri Apr 12, 2024 4:28 pm

SNPA wrote:
Godaddycurse wrote:
SNPA wrote:

If McNair doesn’t get the Kings to a playoff series next year Kings fans will turn on him.

A Fox/Zion combo is easier to build around and brings new life to the team and his tenure. Same for a Fox/Brown combo. I’m not convinced either of those are an actual upgrade in player but I think both make Sac easier to build around and more in line with the modern NBA.

The plan should be bettering the roster around Domas, who is a mvp candidate player who has been integral to the Kings being good

Not betting on more injury prone or less impactful players like Zion/Brown
LightTheBeam
RealGM
And1: 10,605

Post#8 » by LightTheBeam » Fri Apr 12, 2024 4:45 pm

Sadly I think the Kings are fundamentally flawed. I hated the Huerter move at the time it happened, you have a bad defensive team and you double down trading protected pick for another non defender? Hated the resigning of Barnes, it was clear he was no longer a fit in what should be a fast paced sharing offense.

Ultimately the biggest issue is we have two max contract stars who aren't superstars. Fox has shown inconsistency, when hes on he can probably be a top 2 player on a contender. He's carried our most important games with this roster, but he's slept through portions of the regular season. With Sabonis he doesn't have any offensive moves, he mostly gets his points just being stronger than the next guy. His assist numbers are inflated because the DHO we run, and he's not an impactful defender at the most important defensive position on the floor. I think ultimately Sabonis is a huge floor raiser, the Kings will never be pathetic with him on the team, but he doesn't have the ceiling of other NBA stars.

Realistically the only way this team takes a leap is by getting better defensively around those guys. Keon is a start, now its a defensive/athletic forward to replace Barnes. Then you pray that Keegan Murray becomes an offensive superstar which looks unlikely but not impossible.

Even with that, you likely cap out as a perennial playoff team with no real chance at a title. But after the last 2 decades of stink it might not be that bad to have a decade of that?
LightTheBeam
RealGM

Post#9 » by LightTheBeam » Fri Apr 12, 2024 4:48 pm

SNPA wrote:Third star. This is the option where he throws all the picks he can and maybe Keegan. He would have to get a clear all star level player who fits Sabonis/Fox and keep enough talent to win.

PF compliment, this is where he keeps Keegan but throws everything else not named Fox/Sabonis. There have been many threads on this. We all know the archetype….rim protecting, switchable, 3pt shooter.

Side note - if he loses Monk, because he didn’t sign him to the additional year to get full Bird rights, McNair would have to get a third star. Merely getting the PF compliment wouldn’t be enough under that scenario.

Or…

Last is the nuclear option. This is the option I’d like to discuss most in this thread…trading one of Fox/Sabonis.

I'd trade Sabonis for either of those guys. That said, its probably not where we start. Think we need to go the PF compliment route, give Murray a 3rd year to see what he becomes.
BoogieTime
Head Coach

Post#10 » by BoogieTime » Fri Apr 12, 2024 5:08 pm

LightTheBeam wrote:
SNPA wrote:Third star. This is the option where he throws all the picks he can and maybe Keegan. He would have to get a clear all star level player who fits Sabonis/Fox and keep enough talent to win.

Or…

I'd trade Sabonis for either of those guys. That said, its probably not where we start. Think we need to go the PF compliment route, give Murray a 3rd year to see what he becomes.

The team would be a lot worse.

The team is composed now of an inefficient, inconsistent motored Fox who may not even have had a positive impact on the season, particularly since 2024, Murray that hasn't taken a step forward offensively and Monk. Keon/Mitchell have been coming on lately.

NBA.com has him as an MVP candidate player because they recognize how integral he is to that

The roster needs to improved around Domas, and the team runs the DHO because he is one of the best screeners in the league and its a strength of his
LightTheBeam
RealGM

Post#11 » by LightTheBeam » Fri Apr 12, 2024 6:58 pm

BoogieTime wrote:
LightTheBeam wrote:

Or…

The team is composed now of an inefficient, inconsistent motored Fox who may not even have had a positive impact on the season, particularly since 2024, Murray that hasn't taken a step forward offensively and Monk. Keon/Mitchell have been coming on lately.

NBA.com has him as an MVP candidate player because they recognize how integral he is to that

The roster needs to improved around Domas, and the team runs the DHO because he is one of the best screeners in the league and its a strength of his

What a silly thing to say. Fox was carrying this team as the best player the first 3 months of the season. Keegan 3pt shot took a massive step back this year, but overall he's a far superior offensive player to last years version. If the 3pt shot comes back (which we know it can), he can easily be a 20-23ppg efficient scorer.

You mention NBA.com MVP ladder on 75% of your posts. Nobody cares. Against GS last year Sabonis showed why he can't be the best player on a contending team. He's proven it again the last 12 games. When the going gets tough, centers (outside AD, Jokic, Embiid) cannot be relied upon in the modern NBA. Doesn't mean Sabonis is a bad player, he just shouldnt be your #2 scorer, and it's arguable if he should be your 3rd.
BoogieTime
Head Coach

Post#12 » by BoogieTime » Fri Apr 12, 2024 7:11 pm

LightTheBeam wrote:
BoogieTime wrote:
LightTheBeam wrote:

What a silly thing to say. Fox was carrying this team as the best player the first 3 months of the season. Keegan 3pt shot took a massive step back this year, but overall he's a far superior offensive player to last years version. If the 3pt shot comes back (which we know it can), he can easily be a 20-23ppg efficient scorer.

You mention NBA.com MVP ladder on 75% of your posts. Nobody cares. Against GS last year Sabonis showed why he can't be the best player on a contending team. He's proven it again the last 12 games. When the going gets tough, centers (outside AD, Jokic, Embiid) cannot be relied upon in the modern NBA. Doesn't mean Sabonis is a bad player, he just shouldnt be your #2 scorer, and it's arguable if he should be your 3rd.

And the difference between Fox’s first two months, and since January has hit, has shown he can’t be trusted to just be good.

I’ll give him, the “when he’s on” part, hence last years clutch stats/playoffs/and the first couple of months of this year. But the motor can’t be trusted to just be a positive entity at any given point.

Anyways, at least you recognize Domas “floor raising”

The team went from bad to good the second he arrived, and that’s crucial for a fan base that’s endured so much recently.
LightTheBeam
RealGM

Post#13 » by LightTheBeam » Fri Apr 12, 2024 7:15 pm

BoogieTime wrote:
LightTheBeam wrote:
BoogieTime wrote:

And the difference between Fox’s first two months, and since January has hit, has shown he can’t be trusted to just be good.

I’ll give him, the “when he’s on” part, hence last years clutch stats/playoffs/and the first couple of months of this year. But the motor can’t be trusted to just be a positive entity at any given point.

The team went from bad to good the second he arrived, and that’s crucial for a fan base that’s endured so much recently.

I give Sabonis a ton of credit for improving the team, but pretending like it was only him is again silly.

We went from a starting front court of Harkless/Holmes to Keegan/Sabonis. Of course the team got better. We added Malik Monk. We hired coach Brown (more importantly fired Walton). Fox had a far more defined role with Hali gone and took a giant leap last year. We got rid of Buddy/Bagley, we added Lyles. We added Huerter who was really good for us last year.

The team did a massive overhaul to become good, it wasn't just swapping Hali for Sabonis.
jayjaysee
King of the Trade Board
And1: 5,604

Post#14 » by jayjaysee » Fri Apr 12, 2024 7:22 pm

If I were trading a star, it would be Fox not Sabonis.

But I think the Grant or Kuzma type move is the most realistic work around the edge while hoping Murray has a really great summer..
BoogieTime
Head Coach

Post#15 » by BoogieTime » Fri Apr 12, 2024 7:35 pm

LightTheBeam wrote:
BoogieTime wrote:
LightTheBeam wrote:

I give Sabonis a ton of credit for improving the team, but pretending like it was only him is again silly.

We went from a starting front court of Harkless/Holmes to Keegan/Sabonis. Of course the team got better. We added Malik Monk. We hired coach Brown (more importantly fired Walton). Fox had a far more defined role with Hali gone and took a giant leap last year. We got rid of Buddy/Bagley, we added Lyles. We added Huerter who was really good for us last year.

The team did a massive overhaul to become good, it wasn't just swapping Hali for Sabonis.

Sabonis’ game helped Fox in a synergistic way last year, like he helps everyone with his IQ/screening/passing in a way that Brown/Zion wouldn’t have touched IMO. Sabonis created Huerter’s game last year as the hub etc

I could make a roster argument and I’m not impressed with Domas’ surrounding cast, but I will give you Brown. He’s helped a lot
Astaluego
Sophomore
And1: 92

Post#16 » by Astaluego » Fri Apr 12, 2024 7:43 pm

If they want to improve in a short period, change Murray for Markkanen and get someone like Caruso... although personally (don't kill me, just looking from the outside) I think that the biggest defect or what limits its ceiling... is its best virtue... Domantas Sabonis.. He is a really good, consistent player...one of the best floor lifters in the world, but a very difficult adjustment in today's NBA, relatively "easy" to minimize (easy to understand in an elite context) and greatly limits the roof of the Kings as they are built and the assets they have... However that Sabonis to Brown trade is very very interesting..continue with Huerter+ for a defensive minded center like M.Robinson.
Old Mike Lorenzo
SNPA
General Manager

Post#17 » by SNPA » Fri Apr 12, 2024 7:43 pm

jayjaysee wrote:If I were trading a star, it would be Fox not Sabonis.

But I think the Grant or Kuzma type move is the most realistic work around the edge while hoping Murray has a really great summer..

Fox for who?
vincecarter4pres
RealGM
And1: 3,437

Post#18 » by vincecarter4pres » Fri Apr 12, 2024 8:00 pm

I’m with LightTheBeam here basically to a tee, on his evaluation of the Kings and their current roster and likely future.

I don’t think the Kings can survive blowing it up again this early, but don’t really see a very realistic path to contention for them.

Even if we say they have the assets to add to Fox and Sabonis, they basically have to add a better player to truly be a contender.

Even if we say they trade one of them for an upgrade, that player has to be available and someone either locked up for at least 3 seasons, or will legitimately extend in Sacramento.

It’s a monumental task tbh.

Like if Durant asks out, or Phoenix decides to move on from him, or even Booker, that’s the kind of move that might work.

Or Giannis, that would be perfect.

Edit: To clarify, I meant adding one of those three guys to Fox and Sabonis using Murray, other young guys and picks.
Rich Rane wrote:I think we're all missing the point here. vc4pres needs to stop watching games.
BoogieTime
Head Coach

Post#19 » by BoogieTime » Fri Apr 12, 2024 8:24 pm

vincecarter4pres wrote:I’m with LightTheBeam here basically to a tee, on his evaluation of the Kings and their current roster and likely future.

I don’t think the Kings can survive blowing it up again this early, but don’t really see a very realistic path to contention for them.

Even if we say they have the assets to add to Fox and Sabonis, they basically have to add a better player to truly be a contender.

Even if we say they trade one of them for an upgrade, that player has to be available and someone either locked up for at least 3 seasons, or will legitimately extend in Sacramento.

It’s a monumental task tbh.

Like if Durant asks out, or Phoenix decides to move on from him, or even Booker, that’s the kind of move that might work.

Or Giannis, that would be perfect.

Edit: To clarify, I meant adding one of those three guys to Fox and Sabonis using Murray, other young guys and picks.

The path to contention if they keep Fox and Domas, and I don’t think there needs to be one in this market after the last 17 years as ratings/demand is fine with them being good for now, is no one else being that good.

There is notable holes on the roster this year, like Barnes/Huerter becoming pumpkins, needing more improvement from Murray etc that the team has improvement angles just by switching role players and Fox having a more consistent year like last year. You can potentially add another sizable piece with the draft capital that could improve the situation because, again, there are no great teams in the west

The Kings battle evenly and have a positive record playing the Wolves/Nuggets/Thunder now. Getting better role players could mean the difference of the 4th seed and being bounced in the playin given how brutal the west has been with an open playoffs. Hopefully attrition happens in the west in the coming years as there is some aging in the conference
jayjaysee
King of the Trade Board
And1: 5,604

Post#20 » by jayjaysee » Fri Apr 12, 2024 8:33 pm

SNPA wrote:
jayjaysee wrote:If I were trading a star, it would be Fox not Sabonis.

Fox for who?

I wouldn’t trade either of Fox or Sabonis. I think Sac has two stars that fit well enough and needs to build around them….

I would just try to add to the group. Add Grant without using Barnes or use the MLE on a forward to put behind Murray/Grant if Barnes needs to be used. I’ve suggested Grant/Thybulle way too many times... Lower on Sasha than some so would look to upgrade him... Hope Murray develops like I think he will.

But if I had to trade one it would be Fox.

I’m not sure what the ideal return looks like. Maybe it’s around Jaylen Brown? Or around any of…Trae? Lauri, Bridges, Wagner… but I think Sabonis is what makes Sac have a chance of being a contender so I’m building around him probably 80% of the time.. correct the roster after the trade obviously using the additional value from third team combined with own draft capital.. (So either way you likely have to add to the roster using future picks unless Murray becomes a top 50 type player quickly..)

Not saying don’t trade Sabonis for a better player, just that I think he’s the more important piece of the two. So would look at Fox deals first.

Return to Trades and Transactions