McNair

Moderators: Trader_Joe, loserX, Andre Roberstan, HartfordWhalers, BullyKing, Texas Chuck, MoneyTalks41890, Mamba4Goat, pacers33granger

bpcox05
Veteran
And1: 485

Re: McNair 

Post#41 » by bpcox05 » Sun Apr 14, 2024 7:23 pm

Dan Z wrote:
bpcox05 wrote:
Dan Z wrote:
Say that to the team that won the NBA championship last year...

The other reason why I asked this question is because of your trade. You trade Sabonis for Ingram and how much money and assets do you have left to get a decent center? Who is the backup center on Sacramento right now? Alex Len and Javale McGee? You won't want them to be full time starters.

If we did trade Sabonis in one of those deals, I’d probably be calling up HOU next to see how I could get Steven Adams. He’s a better rebounder than Sabonis and just as good of a screen setter. His defense, toughness, and strength would be excellent to have at C with the rest of that core.

You could also use your exception to bring aboard a C like Hartenstein, Bitadze, Bamba, etc.

You'd be okay with Bitadze or Bamba as your starting center? With Len or McGee as backups?

Hartenstein will probably cost more, but I have no idea how much.

Houston isn't trading Adams....they just traded for him. I can't even see what the Kings would offer that would make them consider it, plus he has injury concerns.

I do agree with you that teams don't need a star center to be successful.

More so Bitadze than Bamba. And I think Hartenstein would be right around that exception.

Why wouldn’t Houston be open to trading Adams? They have a young up and coming, near all star C in Sengun already. Adams is more of a luxury than a need for them IMO.
OxAndFox
Analyst
And1: 2,166

Post#42 » by OxAndFox » Sun Apr 14, 2024 9:11 pm

Dan Z wrote:
OxAndFox wrote:
Dan Z wrote:
If the Kings trade Sabonis then who plays center?

Some guy. Like preferably someone over 7 foot. There are other players out there.
I love Sabonis and the way he plays, but the center position is, IMO, the least important to have a star there. You get someone like, let's take the 2 New York big guys, Hartenstein or Robinson, and you have two great options that compete and make it difficult for the opposition inside. At the moment that is far more important than having a Sabonis.

Say that to the team that won the NBA championship last year...

The other reason why I asked this question is because of your trade. You trade Sabonis for Ingram and how much money and assets do you have left to get a decent center? Who is the backup center on Sacramento right now? Alex Len and Javale McGee? You won't want them to be full time starters.

For the record. I'm not suggesting the Kings trade Sabonis and I didn't put forward any trade. I'm just open to the Kings, or any other team, moving in a different direction. There's many ways to skin a cat as they say.

And the team that won the NBA championship last year has a generational big man. Sabonis is not. He is a terrific player, but he is certainly not generational.
Dan Z
RealGM
And1: 7,285

Post#43 » by Dan Z » Sun Apr 14, 2024 10:13 pm

bpcox05 wrote:
Dan Z wrote:
bpcox05 wrote:If we did trade Sabonis in one of those deals, I’d probably be calling up HOU next to see how I could get Steven Adams. He’s a better rebounder than Sabonis and just as good of a screen setter. His defense, toughness, and strength would be excellent to have at C with the rest of that core.

You could also use your exception to bring aboard a C like Hartenstein, Bitadze, Bamba, etc.

You'd be okay with Bitadze or Bamba as your starting center? With Len or McGee as backups?

Hartenstein will probably cost more, but I have no idea how much.

Houston isn't trading Adams....they just traded for him. I can't even see what the Kings would offer that would make them consider it, plus he has injury concerns.

I do agree with you that teams don't need a star center to be successful.

More so Bitadze than Bamba. And I think Hartenstein would be right around that exception.

Why wouldn’t Houston be open to trading Adams? They have a young up and coming, near all star C in Sengun already. Adams is more of a luxury than a need for them IMO.

It's because they just traded for him, which means they want him. What would Sacramento even offer for Adams?
BoogieTime
Head Coach
And1: 2,784

Post#44 » by BoogieTime » Sun Apr 14, 2024 11:28 pm

To go in on depth of my opinion, I'm not sure trading either is an option at this point, either due to talent or trade value.

From my vantage, to summarize the Kings roster, is that its hard to figure out how you would move Domas to improve, when he is literally making the team good and needs help all around

https://www.nba.com/news/kia-mvp-ladder-april-12-2024-edition. Ending 6th on the MVP ladder, I think author is taking into account the talent around him

Huerter/Barnes were no shows and need to be removed
Keegan, showed offensive glimpses and became an important defensive player. But offensively still not a difference maker
Fox had an up and down inefficient season. Really inefficient since clock hit 2024
Monk was a great 6th man.

So, Domas is central to keeping the Kings a "good team". Trading him after the team spent 17 years in the doldrums when it got better after trading for him for players like Brown or Zion who have had much better surrounding casts and may not raise the floor like Domas would be gambling.

Fox, I don't think his value would necessitate moving him as I'm not sure how opposing GMs would view him, and he has a high ceiling when he's "on". So you may just hope he gets better and more consistent in future seasons.

But as stated, there are a lot of roster holes now aside from Domas, where Barnes/Huerter were, Keegan needing to get better etc., Fox needing to be efficient, that need to be cleared up in future seasons before entertaining the team without Domas. Lineups like Fox/Monk/Brown/Keegan/defensive center include players on the Kings that need to improve and players who haven't proven to be center to a team's offense like Brown.

I dont think you move Domas on talent, Fox on trade value per ceiling at this point (although if you got solid value for Fox.... interesting question)
OxAndFox
Analyst
And1: 2,166

Post#45 » by OxAndFox » Mon Apr 15, 2024 2:39 am

BoogieTime wrote:To go in on depth of my opinion, I'm not sure trading either is an option at this point, either due to talent or trade value.

From my vantage, to summarize the Kings roster, is that its hard to figure out how you would move Domas to improve, when he is literally making the team good and needs help all around

https://www.nba.com/news/kia-mvp-ladder-april-12-2024-edition. Ending 6th on the MVP ladder, I think author is taking into account the talent around him

Huerter/Barnes were no shows and need to be removed
Keegan, showed offensive glimpses and became an important defensive player. But offensively still not a difference maker
Fox had an up and down inefficient season. Really inefficient since clock hit 2024
Monk was a great 6th man.

So, Domas is central to keeping the Kings a "good team". Trading him after the team spent 17 years in the doldrums when it got better after trading for him for players like Brown or Zion who have had much better surrounding casts and may not raise the floor like Domas would be gambling.

Fox, I don't think his value would necessitate moving him as I'm not sure how opposing GMs would view him, and he has a high ceiling when he's "on". So you may just hope he gets better and more consistent in future seasons.

But as stated, there are a lot of roster holes now aside from Domas, where Barnes/Huerter were, Keegan needing to get better etc., Fox needing to be efficient, that need to be cleared up in future seasons before entertaining the team without Domas. Lineups like Fox/Monk/Brown/Keegan/defensive center include players on the Kings that need to improve and players who haven't proven to be center to a team's offense like Brown.

I dont think you move Domas on talent, Fox on trade value per ceiling at this point (although if you got solid value for Fox.... interesting question)

What you need to take into account, and I'm not suggesting anything you said is wrong BTW, no one seems to bring this up, is that Domas being the hub of the offense means you need 2-3 movement shooters.
Keegan's 3pt shot was hurt by this. Who are the movement shooters in this offense? Keon can't be asked to do it.

Huerter had a 27.7% frequency on hand offs, and I would say 99% of them came off Domas. That was the most in the NBA by a WIDE margin.
Guess who was 2nd in the NBA. Keegan Murray at 20.8%.

Duncan Robinson was 3rd at 17.1% and sitting in 8th place was Malik Monk at 14.3%.
So the Kings had 3 players in the top 8 of the NBA due to Domas being the hub.
Huerter - 36.1%
Keegan - 35.9%
Monk - 35%

Is this a coincidence?

Return to Trades and Transactions