McNair

Moderators: Trader_Joe, loserX, Andre Roberstan, HartfordWhalers, BullyKing, Texas Chuck, MoneyTalks41890, Mamba4Goat, pacers33granger

SNPA
General Manager
And1: 7,309

Re: McNair 

Post#21 » by SNPA » Fri Apr 12, 2024 8:59 pm

Astaluego wrote:If they want to improve in a short period, change Murray for Markkanen and get someone like Caruso... although personally (don't kill me, just looking from the outside) I think that the biggest defect or what limits its ceiling... is its best virtue... Domantas Sabonis.. He is a really good, consistent player...one of the best floor lifters in the world, but a very difficult adjustment in today's NBA, relatively "easy" to minimize (easy to understand in an elite context) and greatly limits the roof of the Kings as they are built and the assets they have... However that Sabonis to Brown trade is very very interesting..continue with Huerter+ for a defensive minded center like M.Robinson.

Fox/Brown/Murray/Monk/defensive center.

That has to be considered by Sac if it is possible.
LightTheBeam
RealGM
And1: 10,604

Post#22 » by LightTheBeam » Fri Apr 12, 2024 9:11 pm

SNPA wrote:
Astaluego wrote:If they want to improve in a short period, change Murray for Markkanen and get someone like Caruso... although personally (don't kill me, just looking from the outside) I think that the biggest defect or what limits its ceiling... is its best virtue... Domantas Sabonis.. He is a really good, consistent player...one of the best floor lifters in the world, but a very difficult adjustment in today's NBA, relatively "easy" to minimize (easy to understand in an elite context) and greatly limits the roof of the Kings as they are built and the assets they have... However that Sabonis to Brown trade is very very interesting..continue with Huerter+ for a defensive minded center like M.Robinson.

Doesn't seem to hard to find a defensive center either. Poeltl, Adams, Capela, Allen, Ayton, Brook, are probably all available for the right prices.
Astaluego
Sophomore
And1: 92

Post#23 » by Astaluego » Fri Apr 12, 2024 9:31 pm

LightTheBeam wrote:
SNPA wrote:

Doesn't seem to hard to find a defensive center either. Poeltl, Adams, Capela, Allen, Ayton, Brook, are probably all available for the right prices.
if they can somehow finish off Fox/Monk/Brown/Murray/Allen..that's a young contender level with room for improvement
Old Mike Lorenzo
BlazersBroncos
RealGM
And1: 7,958

Post#24 » by BlazersBroncos » Fri Apr 12, 2024 9:53 pm

I dont see a path to contention but I think they can make a move to bring a high tier #4 (Jerami, Kuzma, etc) and continue to build back the fan respect and interest.

The team was in the gutter for like 17 years, its not always a zero sum win-a-ring-or-rebuild league - right now SAC is doing fine rebuilding their culture and getting back on two legs.

Get another nice player and run it back for a 2nd round or even WCF appearance. I know hardcore fans dont like to hear this but thats what the goal should be right now.

The only true path to contention for SAC is to blow it up and pray they land one of the tremendously elusive generational guys in the draft. That isnt going to happen. They wont take those steps backward. Enjoy some nice runs and understand there is a ceiling. Its what PDX had for all those Lillard years and it was pretty good fun.
bpcox05
Veteran
And1: 485

Post#25 » by bpcox05 » Fri Apr 12, 2024 10:02 pm

I’d definitely trade Sabonis before I trade Fox but I’m not at the point where we should be looking to trade either guy. But just for fun, let’s explore some Sabonis trades…

I think the key for trading Sabonis is to find a team that already has a great complement at PF while also not having a good/great C on the roster. Memphis seems like the perfect candidate. With Vince Williams emerging this year perhaps that makes Bane a bit more gettable. I could see these trades making a bit of sense…

MEM Gets: Domantas Sabonis
NOP Gets: Desmond Bane
SAC Gets: Brandon Ingram

Or

SAC Gets: Lauri Markkanen
UTA Gets: Desmond Bane

The Kings could obviously just do a straight swap of Sabonis for Bane but I’m high on Ellis’ potential as a starting 3&D SG.
vincecarter4pres
RealGM
And1: 3,437

Post#26 » by vincecarter4pres » Fri Apr 12, 2024 10:46 pm

BlazersBroncos wrote:I dont see a path to contention but I think they can make a move to bring a high tier #4 (Jerami, Kuzma, etc) and continue to build back the fan respect and interest.

The team was in the gutter for like 17 years, its not always a zero sum win-a-ring-or-rebuild league - right now SAC is doing fine rebuilding their culture and getting back on two legs.

Get another nice player and run it back for a 2nd round or even WCF appearance. I know hardcore fans dont like to hear this but thats what the goal should be right now.

The only true path to contention for SAC is to blow it up and pray they land one of the tremendously elusive generational guys in the draft. That isnt going to happen. They wont take those steps backward. Enjoy some nice runs and understand there is a ceiling. Its what PDX had for all those Lillard years and it was pretty good fun.

For sure.

And there is a chance a blockbuster trade presents itself, there are most certainly worse places to be.
Rich Rane wrote:I think we're all missing the point here. vc4pres needs to stop watching games.
LightTheBeam
RealGM

Post#27 » by LightTheBeam » Fri Apr 12, 2024 11:37 pm

Astaluego wrote:
LightTheBeam wrote:
SNPA wrote:Fox/Brown/Murray/Monk/defensive center.

if they can somehow finish off Fox/Monk/Brown/Murray/Allen..that's a young contender level with room for improvement

I think that would be amazing. However I can't see Boston entertaining that swap at least until the end of next year. If they fizzle out this year and next, maybe then they consider breaking up the Tatum/Brown pairing. But they are likely about to finish 64-18 and walk to the finals, so that doesn't seem realistic.

Is that team really better than what they have now?

White - Jrue - Tatum - KP - Sabonis?

I think KP presents a great pairing with Sabonis, and they are so good defensively that they wouldn't miss a beat, I just don't see Sabonis strengths as a super big need for them.
SNPA
General Manager

Post#28 » by SNPA » Fri Apr 12, 2024 11:44 pm

LightTheBeam wrote:
Astaluego wrote:
LightTheBeam wrote:

I think that would be amazing. However I can't see Boston entertaining that swap at least until the end of next year. If they fizzle out this year and next, maybe then they consider breaking up the Tatum/Brown pairing. But they are likely about to finish 64-18 and walk to the finals, so that doesn't seem realistic.

I think KP presents a great pairing with Sabonis, and they are so good defensively that they wouldn't miss a beat, I just don't see Sabonis strengths as a super big need for them.

I think that’s a better team for the Celtics.

If they don’t win it all this year I think this makes sense for Boston.
LightTheBeam
RealGM

Post#29 » by LightTheBeam » Fri Apr 12, 2024 11:47 pm

SNPA wrote:
LightTheBeam wrote:
Astaluego wrote:if they can somehow finish off Fox/Monk/Brown/Murray/Allen..that's a young contender level with room for improvement

I think that’s a better team for the Celtics.

If they don’t win it all this year I think this makes sense for Boston.

I guess based on last year we know that the team isn't afraid to make big changes on the way to a title. I'd be thrilled from Kings perspective.

Trade Barnes/Huerter for a center, and we would be in business. That team is built for success in the modern NBA.
SNPA
General Manager

Post#30 » by SNPA » Sun Apr 14, 2024 4:09 am

There’s another factor at play with the Brown trade. Sabonis is on a better contract. Brown is richest contract ever level and he isn’t a clear cut number one superstar. That hurts his trade value a lot more than I read about on these boards.

A team trading for Brown is trading for a guy that is paid superstar, first option, all nba, HOF, leader of championship teams player money. In reality that player is his teammate and not him.

Not many teams are open to that type of overpay. His market is smaller than many assume.

Sabonis is not only the better player in a vacuum but he is significantly better dollar for dollar.
OxAndFox
Analyst
And1: 2,167

Post#31 » by OxAndFox » Sun Apr 14, 2024 5:11 am

For the Kings to make a jump a trade needs to be made with a combination of Fox/Sabonis/Murray.
They need a true #1 guy. Fox is the closest thing to it but hasn't been able to sustain that level for long periods. He looks to be a PO performer though.
Keegan has taken a leap on the defensive end and his 3pt shot hasn't been as good this season due to taken many more movement 3s instead of spot ups.
Sabonis is fantastic, but if he doesn't show up in the play in and the Kings are bounced there needs to be questions answered. The questions should be there unless the Kings at least make the 1st round and he has an excellent series. If he does that I think the Kings win. If he is below average then the Kings have no chance.

Ultimately that trio will most likely be around until the next deadline at least and if they're in a similar spot, changes need to be made.
Dan Z
RealGM
And1: 7,286

Post#32 » by Dan Z » Sun Apr 14, 2024 5:32 am

bpcox05 wrote:I’d definitely trade Sabonis before I trade Fox but I’m not at the point where we should be looking to trade either guy. But just for fun, let’s explore some Sabonis trades…

I think the key for trading Sabonis is to find a team that already has a great complement at PF while also not having a good/great C on the roster. Memphis seems like the perfect candidate. With Vince Williams emerging this year perhaps that makes Bane a bit more gettable. I could see these trades making a bit of sense…

Or

The Kings could obviously just do a straight swap of Sabonis for Bane but I’m high on Ellis’ potential as a starting 3&D SG.

If the Kings trade Sabonis then who plays center?
OxAndFox
Analyst
And1: 2,167

Post#33 » by OxAndFox » Sun Apr 14, 2024 10:48 am

Dan Z wrote:
bpcox05 wrote:I’d definitely trade Sabonis before I trade Fox but I’m not at the point where we should be looking to trade either guy. But just for fun, let’s explore some Sabonis trades…

Or

Some guy. Like preferably someone over 7 foot. There are other players out there.
I love Sabonis and the way he plays, but the center position is, IMO, the least important to have a star there. You get someone like, let's take the 2 New York big guys, Hartenstein or Robinson, and you have two great options that compete and make it difficult for the opposition inside. At the moment that is far more important than having a Sabonis.
Chuck Everett
RealGM
And1: 12,506

Post#34 » by Chuck Everett » Sun Apr 14, 2024 4:59 pm

Their future is the Deron/Boozer Jazz teams or the Grit and Grind Grizz with Gasol/Z-Bo/Allen and Conley. Other than blowing it up, get ready for 5-6 seasons of hoping more talented teams suffer injuries so you can make a run.

Such is life in the Western Conference. If Fox had another gear I would disagree, but I don't think he is capable of going higher.
"Kill 'em with Grindness."
NYG
RealGM
And1: 2,656

Post#35 » by NYG » Sun Apr 14, 2024 5:04 pm

Why wouldn't they just buy low on a guy like Zach LaVine and see if they can make it work? Sign/trade for a wing with the non tax MLE and hope Murray takes the next step in 2024-25.
Dan Z
RealGM

Post#36 » by Dan Z » Sun Apr 14, 2024 5:17 pm

OxAndFox wrote:
Dan Z wrote:

Or

Some guy. Like preferably someone over 7 foot. There are other players out there.
I love Sabonis and the way he plays, but the center position is, IMO, the least important to have a star there. You get someone like, let's take the 2 New York big guys, Hartenstein or Robinson, and you have two great options that compete and make it difficult for the opposition inside. At the moment that is far more important than having a Sabonis.

Say that to the team that won the NBA championship last year...

The other reason why I asked this question is because of your trade. You trade Sabonis for Ingram and how much money and assets do you have left to get a decent center? Who is the backup center on Sacramento right now? Alex Len and Javale McGee? You won't want them to be full time starters.
Dan Z
RealGM

Post#37 » by Dan Z » Sun Apr 14, 2024 5:53 pm

NYG wrote:Why wouldn't they just buy low on a guy like Zach LaVine and see if they can make it work? Sign/trade for a wing with the non tax MLE and hope Murray takes the next step in 2024-25.

What would a "buy low" trade for LaVine look like?
bpcox05
Veteran

Post#38 » by bpcox05 » Sun Apr 14, 2024 6:09 pm

Dan Z wrote:
OxAndFox wrote:
Dan Z wrote:

The other reason why I asked this question is because of your trade. You trade Sabonis for Ingram and how much money and assets do you have left to get a decent center? Who is the backup center on Sacramento right now? Alex Len and Javale McGee? You won't want them to be full time starters.

If we did trade Sabonis in one of those deals, I’d probably be calling up HOU next to see how I could get Steven Adams. He’s a better rebounder than Sabonis and just as good of a screen setter. His defense, toughness, and strength would be excellent to have at C with the rest of that core.

You could also use your exception to bring aboard a C like Hartenstein, Bitadze, Bamba, etc.
bpcox05
Veteran

Post#39 » by bpcox05 » Sun Apr 14, 2024 6:11 pm

NYG wrote:Why wouldn't they just buy low on a guy like Zach LaVine and see if they can make it work? Sign/trade for a wing with the non tax MLE and hope Murray takes the next step in 2024-25.

The Kings have Ellis, Monk, and Huerter at SG already. The focus should be on finding a big forward.
Dan Z
RealGM

Post#40 » by Dan Z » Sun Apr 14, 2024 7:17 pm

bpcox05 wrote:
Dan Z wrote:
OxAndFox wrote:

If we did trade Sabonis in one of those deals, I’d probably be calling up HOU next to see how I could get Steven Adams. He’s a better rebounder than Sabonis and just as good of a screen setter. His defense, toughness, and strength would be excellent to have at C with the rest of that core.

You could also use your exception to bring aboard a C like Hartenstein, Bitadze, Bamba, etc.

You'd be okay with Bitadze or Bamba as your starting center? With Len or McGee as backups?

Hartenstein will probably cost more, but I have no idea how much.

Houston isn't trading Adams....they just traded for him. I can't even see what the Kings would offer that would make them consider it, plus he has injury concerns.

I do agree with you that teams don't need a star center to be successful.

Return to Trades and Transactions