Thybulle to the Hawks

Moderators: Trader_Joe, loserX, Andre Roberstan, HartfordWhalers, BullyKing, Texas Chuck, MoneyTalks41890, Mamba4Goat, pacers33granger

NYG
RealGM
And1: 2,655

Thybulle to the Hawks 

Post#1 » by NYG » Sat Apr 13, 2024 1:04 pm

Matisse Thybulle to the Hawks for '28 Rockets 2nd and '30 Hawks 2nd (absorbed into non tax MLE)

Blazers get below the tax without losing a key piece

Hawks add a solid wing defender
JRoy
RealGM
And1: 10,520

Re: Thybulle to the Hawks 

Post#2 » by JRoy » Sat Apr 13, 2024 3:24 pm

NYG wrote:Matisse Thybulle to the Hawks for '28 Rockets 2nd and '30 Hawks 2nd (absorbed into non tax MLE)

No thank you from POR.

Looking for FRP.
Edrees wrote:
JRoy wrote:Monta Ellis have it all

I was hoping and expecting this to be one of the first replies. You did not disappoint. Jroy have it all.
Myth
General Manager
And1: 8,565

Post#3 » by Myth » Sat Apr 13, 2024 3:30 pm

This is a pass for Portland. I value Thybulle demonstrating defensive hustle to the youngins more than a couple of 2nds.
Texas Chuck
Senior Mod - NBA TnT Forum
Senior Mod - NBA TnT Forum
And1: 89,455

Post#4 » by Texas Chuck » Sat Apr 13, 2024 4:02 pm

Myth wrote:This is a pass for Portland. I value Thybulle demonstrating defensive hustle to the youngins more than a couple of 2nds.

Doesn't a big part of it come down to if they find a deal involving one of their big contracts where they can shed salary? Because if they can't/don't, don't they pretty much have to move him into space? And I'd be stunned if a guy who got one MLE offer in free agency is suddenly worth a first and taking on the contract in full.

I get wanting to keep him. Or wanting to get top dollar. Not sure that's actually realistic if they can't unload a big deal. Because they aren't paying tax for this roster next year obviously.
ThunderBolt wrote:I’m going to let some of you in on a little secret I learned on realgm. If you don’t like a thread, not only do you not have to comment but you don’t even have to open it and read it. You’re welcome.
hugepatsfan
Head Coach
And1: 6,344

Post#5 » by hugepatsfan » Sat Apr 13, 2024 4:18 pm

Blazers are at $167.1M in salary for next year with 14 players signed. That's against a projected tax line of $171.3M. Their lottery pick will push them over the tax.

It's hard to imagine the Blazers staying in the tax with this team. That would just be bad business. Realistically, some type of trade is going to have to happen involving Ayton, Grant, Simons, Brogdon, RWilliams, or Thybulle. You just do the math and unless they move a young player like Scoot, Sharpe, or their pick then it's hard to save salary by moving anyone else since they'll all be minimum type deals that have to be replaced.

If they opt for a deal like this where they just completely "dump" a contract, then this is fair. Thybulle isn't good enough to move for a 1st round pick without taking any value back. POR doesn't NEED to clear a full contract though. At least not as things stand. My guess is they pursue trades of their vets where they get better pick value back which of course means they have to take back money too. But since they only need to clear probably like $3-5M, you can maneuver through that without having to straight up dump a contract on someone.
Myth
General Manager
And1: 8,565

Post#6 » by Myth » Sat Apr 13, 2024 4:45 pm

Texas Chuck wrote:
Myth wrote:This is a pass for Portland. I value Thybulle demonstrating defensive hustle to the youngins more than a couple of 2nds.

Doesn't a big part of it come down to if they find a deal involving one of their big contracts where they can shed salary? Because if they can't/don't, don't they pretty much have to move him into space? And I'd be stunned if a guy who got one MLE offer in free agency is suddenly worth a first and taking on the contract in full.

I get wanting to keep him. Or wanting to get top dollar. Not sure that's actually realistic if they can't unload a big deal. Because they aren't paying tax for this roster next year obviously.

I guess as a last resort if no other cost saving moves are available, but I’d be looking at other options. Moving Grant is a higher priority to me. As an aside, I made no mention of thinking we’d get a 1st and somebody absorbs him.
Norm2953
RealGM
And1: 1,868

Post#7 » by Norm2953 » Sat Apr 13, 2024 5:52 pm

It'll be interesting who Portland picks with a top 4 pick, for drafting Clingon at 4 makes Ayton available.

Moving Ayton gets easier for there are only two years left on his deal at $69 million and Portland with Clingon, Scoot and good defenders like Camara and Thybulle has the makings of a good defensive team
Village Idiot
General Manager
And1: 2,008

Post#8 » by Village Idiot » Sat Apr 13, 2024 5:54 pm

I think Simons and/or Brogdon are more likely to be moved.
"There are no right answers to wrong questions." - Ursula K. Le Guin
jbk1234
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 32,472

Post#9 » by jbk1234 » Sat Apr 13, 2024 7:28 pm

Village Idiot wrote:I think Simons and/or Brogdon are more likely to be moved.

The problem is going to be moving them, taking back little or no salary, and still getting the desired draft capital. Whether it's Thybulle or those guys, there's only so many teams that have both the cap space and the specific need. That's before you get to what they're willing.to part with on top of the cap space. Basically, you're limiting the market and diluting the return for any of those players if you can't take back equal salary.
cbosh4mvp wrote:
Jarret Allen isn’t winning you anything. Garland won’t show up in the playoffs. Mobley is a glorified dunk man. Mitchell has some experience but is a liability on defense. To me, the Cavs are a treadmill team.
Scoot McGroot
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 11,137

Post#10 » by Scoot McGroot » Sat Apr 13, 2024 7:55 pm

I think Atlanta has salary issues of their own if they take Thybulle into the MLE. As is, using the MLE would hard cap them at the apron, and I think this deal would put Atlanta over that hard cap, without filling the required 14th or possibly re signing Bey.
Godaddycurse
RealGM
And1: 10,417

Post#11 » by Godaddycurse » Sun Apr 14, 2024 2:03 am

Norm2953 wrote:Moving Ayton gets easier for there are only two years left on his deal at $69 million

It went from impossible to really hard to move
brackdan70
RealGM
And1: 8,567

Post#12 » by brackdan70 » Sun Apr 14, 2024 2:37 am

JRoy wrote:
NYG wrote:Matisse Thybulle to the Hawks for '28 Rockets 2nd and '30 Hawks 2nd (absorbed into non tax MLE)

No thank you from POR.

Looking for FRP.

I am not sure you get a first for him? Maybe.
Sign here
JRoy
RealGM
And1: 10,520

Post#13 » by JRoy » Sun Apr 14, 2024 2:52 am

brackdan70 wrote:
JRoy wrote:

No thank you from POR.

Looking for FRP.

I am not sure you get a first for him? Maybe.

Like Brogdon there is a chance he could pull a FRP. If not, may as well keep him and move a larger salary.
Edrees wrote:
JRoy wrote:Monta Ellis have it all

I was hoping and expecting this to be one of the first replies. You did not disappoint. Jroy have it all.
Village Idiot
General Manager
And1: 2,008

Post#14 » by Village Idiot » Sun Apr 14, 2024 5:09 am

jbk1234 wrote:

The problem is going to be moving them, taking back little or no salary, and still getting the desired draft capital. Whether it's Thybulle or those guys, there's only so many teams that have both the cap space and the specific need. That's before you get to what they're willing.to part with on top of the cap space. Basically, you're limiting the market and diluting the return for any of those players if you can't take back equal salary.
It doesn't have to happen with one player and one transaction though. It's not like the Blazers are going to be way above the tax level.

With Simons, three of the teams that make the most sense for him, San Antonio, Detroit and Orlando, can acquire him without sending back any salary.
"There are no right answers to wrong questions." - Ursula K. Le Guin
NYG
RealGM

Post#15 » by NYG » Sun Apr 14, 2024 11:28 am

Village Idiot wrote:
jbk1234 wrote:

It doesn't have to happen with one player and one transaction though. It's not like the Blazers are going to be way above the tax level.

With Simons, three of the teams that make the most sense for him, San Antonio, Detroit and Orlando, can acquire him without sending back any salary.

But even then... how many of those 3 teams would absorb salary and give a 1st for Simons versus just signing Gary Trent Jr. or Malik Monk?

Have Monk and a 1st as worth more than Simons
Skybox
RealGM
And1: 5,759

Post#16 » by Skybox » Sun Apr 14, 2024 5:18 pm

ORL sitting here with tons of cap space, an extra frp and a glaring need for Simons...or, at least Brogdon.

When POR's accountant gets their taxes done - you know who to call :D
NYG
RealGM

Post#17 » by NYG » Sun Apr 14, 2024 5:50 pm

Skybox wrote:ORL sitting here with tons of cap space, an extra frp and a glaring need for Simons...or, at least Brogdon.

Do you have Simons as > Monk + 1st?
tacos
Senior
And1: 385

Post#18 » by tacos » Sun Apr 14, 2024 5:51 pm

Skybox wrote:ORL sitting here with tons of cap space, an extra frp and a glaring need for Simons...or, at least Brogdon.

A better fit of trading partner for these players the league likely doesn't have, and we share a kinship in hatred of the Lakers. Brogdon is still the better defender at this point, but Suggs would help a lot on either. Anfernee would fit your timeline and make a great PRV for your high usage frontcourt players and keep defenders honest, as he is good catch-and-shoot and off the dribble.
Skybox
RealGM
And1: 5,759

Post#19 » by Skybox » Sun Apr 14, 2024 6:25 pm

NYG wrote:

I think Simons is a significantly better long range shooter (Monk is very good) and he's younger and longer...to answer your question - yes, assuming it's non-lottery, absolutely. Simons, for ORL, is about a good a fit as you could find.
tester551
Assistant Coach
And1: 842

Post#20 » by tester551 » Sun Apr 14, 2024 10:07 pm

Skybox wrote:
NYG wrote:

I think Simons is a significantly better long range shooter (Monk is very good) and he's younger and longer...to answer your question - yes, assuming it's non-lottery, absolutely. Simons, for ORL, is about a good a fit as you could find.

Agreed.

I think NYG is undervaluing Simons significantly

Return to Trades and Transactions