Thybulle to the Hawks

Moderators: Trader_Joe, loserX, Andre Roberstan, HartfordWhalers, BullyKing, Texas Chuck, MoneyTalks41890, Mamba4Goat, pacers33granger

wemby
Senior
And1: 327

Re: Thybulle to the Hawks 

Post#21 » by wemby » Mon Apr 15, 2024 3:19 am

JRoy wrote:
brackdan70 wrote:
JRoy wrote:
No thank you from POR.

Looking for FRP.

I am not sure you get a first for him? Maybe.

Like Brogdon there is a chance he could pull a FRP. If not, may as well keep him and move a larger salary.

Thybulle and Brogdon are not worth a 1st rounder by themselves. Maybe in a larger package (other players / assets / taking back longer term salary) they could though.
JRoy
RealGM
And1: 10,520

Post#22 » by JRoy » Mon Apr 15, 2024 3:24 am

wemby wrote:
JRoy wrote:
brackdan70 wrote:I am not sure you get a first for him? Maybe.

Like Brogdon there is a chance he could pull a FRP. If not, may as well keep him and move a larger salary.

Thybulle and Brogdon are not worth a 1st rounder by themselves. Maybe in a larger package (other players / assets / taking back longer term salary) they could though.

Maybe, maybe not.
Edrees wrote:
JRoy wrote:Monta Ellis have it all

I was hoping and expecting this to be one of the first replies. You did not disappoint. Jroy have it all.
Tim Lehrbach
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 2,962

Post#23 » by Tim Lehrbach » Mon Apr 15, 2024 3:28 am

JRoy wrote:
wemby wrote:
JRoy wrote:

Maybe, maybe not.

I don't think I move Brogdon for less than a first. The Blazers are too desperate for competent guard play. I'd be interested to know what aggregating Portland's solid bench performers could pull.
Clipsz 4 Life
January 20, 2002-May 17, 2006
Saxon
February 20, 2001-August 9, 2007
wemby
Senior

Post#24 » by wemby » Mon Apr 15, 2024 3:34 am

Tim Lehrbach wrote:
JRoy wrote:
wemby wrote:Thybulle and Brogdon are not worth a 1st rounder by themselves. Maybe in a larger package (other players / assets / taking back longer term salary) they could though.

Maybe, maybe not.

I don't think I move Brogdon for less than a first. The Blazers are too desperate for competent guard play. I'd be interested to know what aggregating Portland's solid bench performers could pull.

Brogdon cost the Celtics a very late first 2 years ago and was almost traded to the Clippers for the #30 pick but they backed down because of injury concerns. Now he's older and his contract is expiring, I don't see how anyone could argue his value is higher.
Tim Lehrbach
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#25 » by Tim Lehrbach » Mon Apr 15, 2024 3:39 am

wemby wrote:
Tim Lehrbach wrote:
JRoy wrote:
Maybe, maybe not.

Brogdon cost the Celtics a very late first 2 years ago and was almost traded to the Clippers for the #30 pick but they backed down because of injury concerns. Now he's older and his contract is expiring, I don't see how anyone could argue his value is higher.

I didn't.
Clipsz 4 Life

Saxon

wemby
Senior

Post#26 » by wemby » Mon Apr 15, 2024 3:46 am

Tim Lehrbach wrote:
wemby wrote:
Tim Lehrbach wrote:

I didn't.

If you agree his market value isn't a first but you'd still like to keep him, then I guess I disagree with the direction you'd have the Blazers take. Personally I'd cash him in now, get whatever assets I can and avoid him raising my ceiling next season, to try and maximize the pick in the '25 draft (supposedly stacked at the top). That seems to me like a much better long term plan. But to each their own I guess.
Tim Lehrbach
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#27 » by Tim Lehrbach » Mon Apr 15, 2024 3:51 am

wemby wrote:
Tim Lehrbach wrote:
wemby wrote:Brogdon cost the Celtics a very late first 2 years ago and was almost traded to the Clippers for the #30 pick but they backed down because of injury concerns. Now he's older and his contract is expiring, I don't see how anyone could argue his value is higher.

I didn't.

If you agree his market value isn't a first but you'd still like to keep him, then I guess I disagree with the direction you'd have the Blazers take. Personally I'd cash him in now, get whatever assets I can and avoid him raising my ceiling next season, to try and maximize the pick in the '25 draft (supposedly stacked at the top). That seems to me like a much better long term plan. But to each their own I guess.

Entirely fair, and the Blazers probably are indeed tanking next year. I prefer to have some competent veterans to help the talent already on-roster grow into winners.
Clipsz 4 Life

Saxon

NYG
RealGM
And1: 2,655

Post#28 » by NYG » Tue Apr 16, 2024 12:15 am

Myth wrote:This is a pass for Portland. I value Thybulle demonstrating defensive hustle to the youngins more than a couple of 2nds.

If it was this deal... Brogdon for 2nds... Simons for a projected late '25 1st... Grant for a late '24 lotto 1st

Which deal would you take to get below the tax?
Tim Lehrbach
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#29 » by Tim Lehrbach » Tue Apr 16, 2024 12:34 am

NYG wrote:
Myth wrote:This is a pass for Portland. I value Thybulle demonstrating defensive hustle to the youngins more than a couple of 2nds.

If it was this deal... Brogdon for 2nds... Simons for a projected late '25 1st... Grant for a late '24 lotto 1st

Grant. Easy call.
Clipsz 4 Life

Saxon

Myth
General Manager
And1: 8,565

Post#30 » by Myth » Wed Apr 17, 2024 2:13 am

Tim Lehrbach wrote:
NYG wrote:

Grant. Easy call.

Yeah, definitely the Grant deal.

In order:
Grant for late 24 lotto
Brogdon for 2nds
Thybulle for 2nds
Simons for projected late 25 1st
wemby
Senior

Post#31 » by wemby » Wed Apr 17, 2024 2:26 am

Myth wrote:In order:
Grant for late 24 lotto
Brogdon for 2nds
Thybulle for 2nds

That's because it's the best value wise. IMO Brogdon and Thybulle for 2nds is actually their fair market value, while Simons can probably command BETTER than a late FRP from the right team, Magic and Spurs are 2 good candidates. But I'd go ahead and move Brogdon for the best package of 2nds that I could find and some cap relief, mainly because of age, injury history, crowded position and expiring status. I'd hold Simons for a better offer or just keep him, he's a good player. Grant is very hard to move, probably has a small market due to his overpriced contract, but it's probably movable eventually though I'm not sure on the return given the circumstances.
Myth
General Manager
And1: 8,565

Post#32 » by Myth » Wed Apr 17, 2024 2:44 am

wemby wrote:
Myth wrote:In order:
Grant for late 24 lotto
Brogdon for 2nds
Thybulle for 2nds

That's because it's the best value wise. IMO Brogdon and Thybulle for 2nds is actually their fair market value, while Simons can probably command BETTER than a late FRP from the right team, Magic and Spurs are 2 good candidates. But I'd go ahead and move Brogdon for the best package of 2nds that I could find and some cap relief, mainly because of age, injury history, crowded position and expiring status. I'd hold Simons for a better offer or just keep him, he's a good player. Grant is very hard to move, probably has a small market due to his overpriced contract, but it's probably movable eventually though I'm not sure on the return given the circumstances.

Yeah, the Grant trade I make for the return. I don’t trade Simons for that package because the return isn’t enough. As you indicated, there are a few reasons to trade Brogdon for 2nds rather than Thybulle. Contract is the #1 reason to me as he is expiring while Thybulle is locked into an appropriate contract. But you nailed the age, crowded position, and injury things too.

Return to Trades and Transactions