Hypothetical: 1 + ??? for Scoot

Moderators: Trader_Joe, loserX, Andre Roberstan, HartfordWhalers, BullyKing, Texas Chuck, MoneyTalks41890, Mamba4Goat, pacers33granger

babyjax13
RealGM
And1: 14,379

Re: Hypothetical: 1 + ??? for Scoot 

Post#21 » by babyjax13 » Tue Apr 16, 2024 12:24 am

Catchall wrote:Yeah, so as a Jazz fan I'd rather have Nikola Topic than Scoot. Jazz probably aren't going to take the ball out of Keyonte's hands to give it to Scoot either. So now how valuable is Scoot when he's playing off the ball?

This idea is probably a non-starter for the Jazz.

I would assume the deal is Keyonte + 1 for Scoot. I do not think anyone drafted lottery this year would go top 4 last year, and I am frankly not certain if anyone drafted in the lottery this year would go top 8 or even top 10 last year. I wouldn't be surprised if one would, but I also would not be surprised if one didn't. I think Scoot pretty clearly has higher upside than Keyonte and the first pick in the draft this year, and we know point guards usually take a bit longer to be good. People are expecting a rookie to contribute to winning, but that rarely, rarely, rarely happens (usually 1 or 2 per draft are actual positives in their minutes).

JazzMatt13 wrote:just because I think aliens probably have to do with JFK, doesn't mean my theory that Jazz will never get Wiggins, isn't true.

JColl
Catchall
RealGM
And1: 10,289

Post#22 » by Catchall » Tue Apr 16, 2024 4:10 am

babyjax13 wrote:
Catchall wrote:Yeah, so as a Jazz fan I'd rather have Nikola Topic than Scoot. Jazz probably aren't going to take the ball out of Keyonte's hands to give it to Scoot either. So now how valuable is Scoot when he's playing off the ball?

I would assume the deal is Keyonte + 1 for Scoot. I do not think anyone drafted lottery this year would go top 4 last year, and I am frankly not certain if anyone drafted in the lottery this year would go top 8 or even top 10 last year. I wouldn't be surprised if one would, but I also would not be surprised if one didn't. I think Scoot pretty clearly has higher upside than Keyonte and the first pick in the draft this year, and we know point guards usually take a bit longer to be good. People are expecting a rookie to contribute to winning, but that rarely, rarely, rarely happens (usually 1 or 2 per draft are actual positives in their minutes).

Guys in this draft, like Topic and Sarr (and possibly Cody Williams), would go ahead of Anthony Black, imo. Possibly Ausar as well. In any case, Scoot showed some promise post AS-break, but I don't think it's enough to motivate the Jazz to trade Keyonte for him, let alone add a FRP to do it.
He/Him, Dude, Bro, Bruh
babyjax13
RealGM
And1: 14,379

Post#23 » by babyjax13 » Tue Apr 16, 2024 5:53 am

Catchall wrote:
babyjax13 wrote:

Guys in this draft, like Topic and Sarr (and possibly Cody Williams), would go ahead of Anthony Black, imo. Possibly Ausar as well. In any case, Scoot showed some promise post AS-break, but I don't think it's enough to motivate the Jazz to trade Keyonte for him, let alone add a FRP to do it.

I really like Keyonte and had him 5th on my big board last year, but I think Scoot has a lot more upside than him or anyone in this draft. No disagreements that perhaps some guys would have gone over Black/Walker/Ausar/Hendricks, but I don't think it is guaranteed.

JazzMatt13 wrote:just because I think aliens probably have to do with JFK, doesn't mean my theory that Jazz will never get Wiggins, isn't true.

JColl
Tim Lehrbach
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 2,962

Post#24 » by Tim Lehrbach » Tue Apr 16, 2024 6:03 am

I'm a big Scoot fan. I am down on this draft, like most. I still don't think a GM would dare send out a top-five pick for Henderson after his startlingly bad rookie campaign. There are enough red flags to seriously question his ceiling.

Obviously, drafting is its own gamble, but it's one a GM can sell easier than throwing a team's most exciting asset in years (which, for fans and involved owners, a high lottery pick often is) at a player who has NBA exposure with still-significant bust potential. The risk is too great.
Clipsz 4 Life
January 20, 2002-May 17, 2006
Saxon
February 20, 2001-August 9, 2007

Return to Trades and Transactions