SAC - UTA (Markkanen)

Moderators: Trader_Joe, loserX, Andre Roberstan, HartfordWhalers, BullyKing, Texas Chuck, MoneyTalks41890, Mamba4Goat, pacers33granger

Who Wins the Trade?

SAC by a lot
36%
SAC
No votes
SAC by a little
No votes
Both / Fair Trade
36%
UTA by a little
18%
UTA
9%
UTA by a lot
No votes
Neither
No votes

Total votes: 11

bpcox05
Veteran
And1: 485

SAC - UTA (Markkanen) 

Post#1 » by bpcox05 » Sun Apr 14, 2024 7:15 pm

***Trade assumes the Kings makes the playoffs***

------------------------------------------------------

SAC Gets: Lauri Markkanen
SAC Gives: Kevin Huerter, 2025 SAC 1st (Unprotected), 2027 SAC 1st (Unprotected), 2029 SAC 1st (Unprotected), & 2031 SAC 1st (Unprotected)
Why for SAC? Since we began giving Keon Ellis significant/consistent minutes, our defense has been very good despite still having a below average to average defender at PF (Barnes) and C (Sabonis). This makes me think this team could still be a good defensive team even with someone like Markkanen next to Sabonis. In fact, with his size, rebounding, and rim presence, he may be a bit of an upgrade defensively over Barnes. Offensively, the Kings get an efficient all star caliber scorer who can be that 3rd go-to scorer we desperately need (Fox-Monk-Markkanen). On top of getting another much needed go-to scorer, his offensive skillset seems to fit perfectly with the Kings core. For starters, he’s a sniper from long range thus keeping the paint clear for Fox and Sabonis. He has the ability to knock down 3s off movement which would work really well with Sabonis’ DHO game. He’s a low usage scorer who doesn’t demand the ball in his hands at all times. This allows Sabonis to still fill his ideal role (facilitator & secondary scorer) while also still giving a bit of room for Murray to grow his game offensively. On top of that, he’ll be 27 at the start of next season which lines up perfectly with our core (Sabonis 28, Fox 26, Monk 26, Murray 24, Ellis 24). Obviously, we’d need some sort of assurance that Markkanen would resign an extension with us before completing the deal.

PG - Fox / Mitchell
SG - Ellis / Monk* / Duarte / Jones
SF - Murray / Barnes / Edwards*
PF - Markkanen / Lyles / Vezenkov
C - Sabonis / Len*
*Resigned

UTA Gets: Kevin Huerter, 2025 SAC 1st (Unprotected), 2027 SAC 1st (Unprotected), 2029 SAC 1st (Unprotected), & 2031 SAC 1st (Unprotected)
UTA Gives: Lauri Markkanen
Why for UTA? The Jazz sell off their soon to be 27 year old win now vet for 4 unprotected 1st round picks and a great shooter would could help space the floor for some of their youth. Ainge continues to lean into the rebuild by not only acquiring many more future assets but also making his own UTA 1sts more valuable (since Markkanen won’t be on the floor anymore).

PG - Sexton / Clarkson
SG - George
SF - Huerter / Sensabaugh / Bazley
PF - Collins / Hendricks / Lofton
C - Kessler / Yurtseven

babyjax13
RealGM
And1: 14,380

Re: SAC - UTA (Markkanen) 

Post#2 » by babyjax13 » Sun Apr 14, 2024 7:52 pm

I don't really want picks from a team led by Fox, Lauri, and Sabonis. That said, as an expiring, this is as much as we could hope for. Don't care about Huerter, don't really want him, would rather flip him.

JazzMatt13 wrote:just because I think aliens probably have to do with JFK, doesn't mean my theory that Jazz will never get Wiggins, isn't true.

JColl
BoogieTime
Head Coach
And1: 2,784

Post#3 » by BoogieTime » Sun Apr 14, 2024 8:07 pm

I like the target, price seems fine, but needs to be made with cap for Malik in mind preferably
babyjax13
RealGM

Post#4 » by babyjax13 » Sun Apr 14, 2024 8:11 pm

BoogieTime wrote:I like the target, price seems fine, but needs to be made with cap for Malik in mind preferably

I'd imagine if we were open to this - and based on Ainge's MO, we might be - that the financial part can be taken care of. Sending us Vezenkov (and maybe a 2nd) means that the Kings would drop salary in this deal. Or, perhaps we'd take Barnes ... though for a competing team, I think he'd be great for you to keep.

JazzMatt13 wrote:just because I think aliens probably have to do with JFK, doesn't mean my theory that Jazz will never get Wiggins, isn't true.

JColl
AingesBurner
RealGM
And1: 3,746

Post#5 » by AingesBurner » Sun Apr 14, 2024 9:23 pm

I’m going to pass on this.
AingesBurner
RealGM
And1: 3,746

Post#6 » by AingesBurner » Sun Apr 14, 2024 9:24 pm

I’ll re-up Markky Mark and then sell high if I have to.
eminence
RealGM
And1: 10,819

Post#7 » by eminence » Sun Apr 14, 2024 9:26 pm

Value is fine (good even), though directionally I'd prefer if Utah were going the other way.
I bought a boat.
Godaddycurse
RealGM
And1: 10,423

Post#8 » by Godaddycurse » Sun Apr 14, 2024 9:31 pm

If i was utah Id prefer 26/28/30 1sts along with a swap or 2 of the odd number years with the CLE/UTAH/MiNN picks
babyjax13
RealGM

Post#9 » by babyjax13 » Sun Apr 14, 2024 9:45 pm

Godaddycurse wrote:If i was utah Id prefer 26/28/30 1sts along with a swap or 2 of the odd number years with the CLE/UTAH/MiNN picks

Picks owed outright are always more valuable than swaps.

JColl
jayjaysee
King of the Trade Board
And1: 5,607

Post#10 » by jayjaysee » Mon Apr 15, 2024 12:38 am

I think the only teams that would pay this type of price for Lauri are teams that can sit on 14 million in cap space.

Utah should do this and just hope Lauri walks. Fox hits free agency before 2027 season..
SkyHook
Veteran
And1: 1,799

Post#11 » by SkyHook » Mon Apr 15, 2024 1:07 am

Value is good, though I’d personally rather have Barnes in the deal rather than Huerter if that’s an option.
Don’t make it personal, don’t take it personal.

Sellers don’t set market value. Buyers don’t set market value.
Market value only exists when two (or more) parties are in agreement.
jazzfan1971
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 8,135

Post#12 » by jazzfan1971 » Mon Apr 15, 2024 1:21 am

I think the jazz would have to consider this.
"Thibs called back and wanted more picks," said Jorge Sedano. "And Pat Riley, literally, I was told, called him a mother-bleeper and hung up the phone."
RookieJazz
Junior
And1: 43

Post#13 » by RookieJazz » Mon Apr 15, 2024 6:30 pm

bpcox05 wrote:***Trade assumes the Kings makes the playoffs***

SAC Gets: Lauri Markkanen
SAC Gives: Kevin Huerter, 2025 SAC 1st (Unprotected), 2027 SAC 1st (Unprotected), 2029 SAC 1st (Unprotected), & 2031 SAC 1st (Unprotected)
Why for SAC? Since we began giving Keon Ellis significant/consistent minutes, our defense has been very good despite still having a below average to average defender at PF (Barnes) and C (Sabonis). This makes me think this team could still be a good defensive team even with someone like Markkanen next to Sabonis. In fact, with his size, rebounding, and rim presence, he may be a bit of an upgrade defensively over Barnes. Offensively, the Kings get an efficient all star caliber scorer who can be that 3rd go-to scorer we desperately need (Fox-Monk-Markkanen). On top of getting another much needed go-to scorer, his offensive skillset seems to fit perfectly with the Kings core. For starters, he’s a sniper from long range thus keeping the paint clear for Fox and Sabonis. He has the ability to knock down 3s off movement which would work really well with Sabonis’ DHO game. He’s a low usage scorer who doesn’t demand the ball in his hands at all times. This allows Sabonis to still fill his ideal role (facilitator & secondary scorer) while also still giving a bit of room for Murray to grow his game offensively. On top of that, he’ll be 27 at the start of next season which lines up perfectly with our core (Sabonis 28, Fox 26, Monk 26, Murray 24, Ellis 24). Obviously, we’d need some sort of assurance that Markkanen would resign an extension with us before completing the deal.

PG - Fox / Mitchell
SG - Ellis / Monk* / Duarte / Jones
SF - Murray / Barnes / Edwards*
PF - Markkanen / Lyles / Vezenkov
C - Sabonis / Len*
*Resigned

UTA Gets: Kevin Huerter, 2025 SAC 1st (Unprotected), 2027 SAC 1st (Unprotected), 2029 SAC 1st (Unprotected), & 2031 SAC 1st (Unprotected)
UTA Gives: Lauri Markkanen
Why for UTA? The Jazz sell off their soon to be 27 year old win now vet for 4 unprotected 1st round picks and a great shooter would could help space the floor for some of their youth. Ainge continues to lean into the rebuild by not only acquiring many more future assets but also making his own UTA 1sts more valuable (since Markkanen won’t be on the floor anymore).

PG - Sexton / Clarkson
SG - George
SF - Huerter / Sensabaugh / Bazley
PF - Collins / Hendricks / Lofton
C - Kessler / Yurtseven

If Jazz fail to extend Lauri, it seems a good price for him, maybe too much. I think just 3 1st are enough. If Jazz can extend him, then I think other teams can make a better offer.
Catchall
RealGM
And1: 10,295

Post#14 » by Catchall » Mon Apr 15, 2024 11:22 pm

jazzfan1971 wrote:I think the jazz would have to consider this.

I agree. Four unprotected 1sts from a team like the Kings (considering their history) is solid value. That's an all-in move from Sacto.

For the Jazz it's an all-in tank move for Cooper Flagg or Ace Bailey, a direction that they're probably discussing behind closed doors.
He/Him, Dude, Bro, Bruh

Return to Trades and Transactions