Danny Ainge's challenge: "We are all-in"

Moderators: Trader_Joe, loserX, Andre Roberstan, HartfordWhalers, BullyKing, Texas Chuck, MoneyTalks41890, Mamba4Goat, pacers33granger

jayjaysee
King of the Trade Board
And1: 5,604

Re: Danny Ainge's challenge: "We are all-in" 

Post#41 » by jayjaysee » Fri Apr 19, 2024 9:19 pm

Ell Curry wrote:
jayjaysee wrote:

I do like the idea of Giddey. But I’d have no idea what that trade looks like. Presti likely asking for 2027 or 2029 firsts, Ainge trying to push the 2025 firsts..

I wonder if OKC would just ask for Hendricks. Not great rebounding numbers, but a defensive 4 who can shoot the 3 makes sense.

SGA-Dort-Jdub-Hendricks-Chet
Wallace-Joe-Dieng-other Jwill-Center

and I guess OKC keeps Joe or signs an SG or drafts one, and the center is gotten at #12 or they move up to get Clingan or trade that pick or another, or just signs Hartenstein or maybe Claxton.

Yeah, OKC having 30+ million cap space with a near full returning roster from a top 3 record team..on top of the pick surplus makes it hard to guess what OKC would do.

I do like Hendricks on that roster
JayTWill
Junior
And1: 145

Post#42 » by JayTWill » Fri Apr 19, 2024 10:07 pm

babyjax13 wrote:I agree. I think the more you do this kind of exercise the more the direction of the team becomes clear. Renegotiate and extend Lauri, bottom out for the 2025 draft, trade Lauri for picks/young players in the 2025 offseason.

If Lauri was given the option knowing that the team wanted to bottom out for the 2025 draft do you think he would choose to be traded to a contender this off-season and then re-sign in 2025 or renegotiate and extend this off-season and then be traded in 2025?
babyjax13
RealGM
And1: 14,380

Post#43 » by babyjax13 » Fri Apr 19, 2024 10:34 pm

JayTWill wrote:
babyjax13 wrote:I agree. I think the more you do this kind of exercise the more the direction of the team becomes clear. Renegotiate and extend Lauri, bottom out for the 2025 draft, trade Lauri for picks/young players in the 2025 offseason.

If Lauri was given the option knowing that the team wanted to bottom out for the 2025 draft do you think he would choose to be traded to a contender this off-season and then re-sign in 2025 or renegotiate and extend this off-season and then be traded in 2025?

Renegotiate and extend. He can get his salary this year more than doubled, it is way more lucrative.

JazzMatt13 wrote:just because I think aliens probably have to do with JFK, doesn't mean my theory that Jazz will never get Wiggins, isn't true.

JColl
HadAnEffectHere
Sixth Man
And1: 835

Post#44 » by HadAnEffectHere » Fri Apr 19, 2024 10:41 pm

The issue with bottoming out in 2025 is that it requires the Jazz to fake an injury for Markkanen that lasts basically the entire season which will pretty dramatically lower his trade value.

So you end up having to then do.

1. Fake an injury for Markkanen that lasts pretty much the whole season
2. Get a top 4 pick (not at all guaranteed, of course)
3. Have this top 4 pick be super highly valued (still not guaranteed)
4. Trade this top 4 pick along with other assets for a mega star who can be the #1 to Markkanen's #2
5. Fill out the rest of the roster.

This is an extremely fraught plan.

Like, it's literally possible that the Jazz could get Ace Bailey from this tank and then Luka demands a trade and the Jazz have the best offer with Ace plus a billion other guys... It's just a lot would need to go right.
JayTWill
Junior
And1: 145

Post#45 » by JayTWill » Fri Apr 19, 2024 10:49 pm

babyjax13 wrote:
JayTWill wrote:

Renegotiate and extend. He can get his salary this year more than doubled, it is way more lucrative.

I was just wondering since I know Utah has capspace to renegotiate the last year of his deal this summer and extend him but I wasn't sure how much of a monetary difference it would be for him to wait until 2025 to re-sign to a team based off of a higher cap number. Obviously extending now provides much more security but I wasn't sure if he would want to sacrifice a year of his career if there was not a huge difference in the numbers in the end.

I don't really pay attention to the CBA and what is possible for him financially. Someone said he could lose $25 million if he did not extend this off-season. I wanted to know if you had more insight into what his contract would look like in 2024 versus 2025.
babyjax13
RealGM
And1: 14,380

Post#46 » by babyjax13 » Fri Apr 19, 2024 11:03 pm

JayTWill wrote:
babyjax13 wrote:
JayTWill wrote:

I was just wondering since I know Utah has capspace to renegotiate the last year of his deal this summer and extend him but I wasn't sure how much of a monetary difference it would be for him to wait until 2025 to re-sign to a team based off of a higher cap number. Obviously extending now provides much more security but I wasn't sure if he would want to sacrifice a year of his career if there was not a huge difference in the numbers in the end.

I don't really pay attention to the CBA and what is possible for him financially. Someone said he could lose $25 million if he did not extend this off-season. I wanted to know if you had more insight into what his contract would look like in 2024 versus 2025.

My understanding is that we can increase his salary up to his maximum or until we hit the cap (whichever is lower). Realistically that means we need to move a small amount of salary before we do it (e.g., Clarkson) to get him all the way to his max. The most lucrative version for him is that he just gets increased to his max and gets a max extension which would be for one less year than he could sign for with us in the 2025 offseason. But that also means when he is up for free agency again that it will be easier to secure another longer term contract after this deal.

JazzMatt13 wrote:just because I think aliens probably have to do with JFK, doesn't mean my theory that Jazz will never get Wiggins, isn't true.

JColl

Return to Trades and Transactions