Mavericks kind of go all in (w/ CHI and POR)

Moderators: Trader_Joe, loserX, Andre Roberstan, HartfordWhalers, BullyKing, Texas Chuck, MoneyTalks41890, Mamba4Goat, pacers33granger

realEAST
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,312

Mavericks kind of go all in (w/ CHI and POR) 

Post#1 » by realEAST » Thu Apr 18, 2024 5:29 pm

DAL in: A. Caruso, J. Grant
DAL out: T. Hardaway, J. Green, O. Maxence Prosper, D. Powell, 2025 DAL 1st, 2025 TOR 2nd, 2028 MIA 2nd, 2028 LAC 2nd, 2031 DAL 2nd

POR in: T. Hardaway, T. Craig, D. Powell, 2025 DAL 1st (top 4 protected), 2031 DAL 2nd
POR out: J. Grant

CHI in: J. Green, O. Maxence Prosper, 2025 TOR 2nd, 2028 MIA 2nd, 2028 LAC 2nd
CHI out: A. Caruso

Dallas upgrades Hardaway and Green to Grant and Caruso. Grant is two way wing who can score efficiently at all three levels and is good defender when engaged (similar to PJ Washington), and Caruso is ultimate role player who fits great.

Portland gets out of later years of Grant's contract and adds a good locker room guy in Powell, as well as two players who can mimic Grant for a year, in Hardaway and Craig. They also get lighlty protected pick and future 2nd rounder.

Bulls add two prospects at the positions and in the roles they look for, as they move towards retool, as well as three pretty good 2nd rounders for a player who is expiring.

Irving................Exum...........Hardy
Doncic..............Caruso
Grant................Jones jr.......Lawson
Washington......Kleber
Gafford.............Lively II
ChettheJet
Head Coach
And1: 1,937

Re: Mavericks kind of go all in (w/ CHI and POR) 

Post#2 » by ChettheJet » Thu Apr 18, 2024 6:01 pm

Have to say the Bulls are looking for more certainty in return for Caruso. Those 2nd round picks really look like they all come in the 45 or higher slots, those three teams aren't known for big rebuilds.

Green has played for 4 years, prospect label timed out. Sure DAL signed to a good deal, he's never played 69 games in a season, highest scoring ave, 9.1. The Bulls have plenty of their own prospects at his level, fewer years and less money owed. OMP only got into 40 games, have you seen him play, do the Bulls have a rating on him?

More help to other teams than the Bulls
daoneandonly
RealGM
And1: 3,074

Post#3 » by daoneandonly » Thu Apr 18, 2024 6:10 pm

Jerami Grant on that massive deal cant possibly have this much value. Not that this is a haul, but he's simply not positive at that number
BlazersBroncos
RealGM
And1: 7,958

Post#4 » by BlazersBroncos » Thu Apr 18, 2024 6:24 pm

daoneandonly wrote:Jerami Grant on that massive deal cant possibly have this much value. Not that this is a haul, but he's simply not positive at that number

Grant absolutley will return a protected pick and salary ballast.

Teams will strike out on PG13, Tobias, DDR etc and after that its guys like LaVine, Simmons, Grant. He will get more than is expected if dealt this summer IMO - not undersized, 40%+ shooter from 3, has played good defense in the past, can play 3 or 4.

I know he is overpaid but alot of teams are looking for a guy with his skillset and size.
penbeast0
Senior Mod - NBA Player Comparisons
Senior Mod - NBA Player Comparisons
And1: 8,729

Post#5 » by penbeast0 » Thu Apr 18, 2024 7:25 pm

BlazersBroncos wrote:
daoneandonly wrote:Jerami Grant on that massive deal cant possibly have this much value. Not that this is a haul, but he's simply not positive at that number

Grant absolutley will return a protected pick and salary ballast.

Teams will strike out on PG13, Tobias, DDR etc and after that its guys like LaVine, Simmons, Grant. He will get more than is expected if dealt this summer IMO - not undersized, 40%+ shooter from 3, has played good defense in the past, can play 3 or 4.

I know he is overpaid but alot of teams are looking for a guy with his skillset and size.

If LaVine, Simmons, and Grant are my only choices, yeah, I'm looking at Grant. Otherwise might be better off taking a flier on someone.
“Most people use statistics like a drunk man uses a lamppost; more for support than illumination,” Andrew Lang.
realEAST
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,312

Post#6 » by realEAST » Thu Apr 18, 2024 7:25 pm

ChettheJet wrote:Have to say the Bulls are looking for more certainty in return for Caruso. Those 2nd round picks really look like they all come in the 45 or higher slots, those three teams aren't known for big rebuilds.

Green has played for 4 years, prospect label timed out. Sure DAL signed to a good deal, he's never played 69 games in a season, highest scoring ave, 9.1. The Bulls have plenty of their own prospects at his level, fewer years and less money owed. OMP only got into 40 games, have you seen him play, do the Bulls have a rating on him?

More help to other teams than the Bulls

I can see Bulls getting one decent 1st rounder for Caruso as an expiring - something like a lightly protected pick from a playoff team - and if they wait until closer to the trade deadline, maybe even less.

In that context I think this would be an interesting offer - Green averaged 12p / 4r / 3a during stretches he had more consistency (mostly due to occasional injury), always plays really hard, and is still relatively young (23 y/o); Prosper didn't get much opportunity during this season, but he shot the ball really well in G League and during last two Mavericks games this season, which was major question mark with him, as he was always considered and projected as good defender, and he is an interesting archetype, being able to play 3 and 4.

I think both of them have proven there is something to work with, and they are both two way players (Green showing some all round offensive game too) which is really important and worth investing in, in my opinion.

I also think those 2nd rounders are quite decent - two of them are later ones, but have potential to be good as it remains to be seen how Heat and Clippers are going to age, but that Raptors pick in 2025 should be pretty good based on the second half of this season, and their general inclination to tank next year or two most likely.
jayjaysee
King of the Trade Board
And1: 5,604

Post#7 » by jayjaysee » Thu Apr 18, 2024 7:38 pm

I just take Chicago’s deal and keep the first for a different position/trade..

I’d really look at trying to use THJ and keep Green. I get less frustrated by Green. But that’s a personal preference. And likely needs a third team anyways..

Grant made a lot more sense in Dallas before PJ in my opinion.

Trying to use these three teams maybe there’s a..

PJ to Chicago
THJ, Powell, first to Portland
Caruso and Grant to Dallas

Type deal to be done with the value being corrected however, probably HW’s my team getting 2nds?. Chicago gets an actual PF, Dallas upgrades their third option and their defense, Portland clears their tax issues and gets a first.

Maybe needs to include Maxi or Green to be legal / stay under to keep DJJ or such. But seems close.

Return to Trades and Transactions