Wendell Moore Jr., Leonard Miller and 27th Overall For ???

Moderators: Trader_Joe, loserX, Andre Roberstan, HartfordWhalers, BullyKing, Texas Chuck, MoneyTalks41890, Mamba4Goat, pacers33granger

NYG
RealGM
And1: 2,655

Wendell Moore Jr., Leonard Miller and 27th Overall For ??? 

Post#1 » by NYG » Sat Apr 20, 2024 1:20 am

I have a feeling T'Wolves ownership leaked the story about Lore/ARod wanting to be outright below the tax so that when they go below the second apron, it doesn't look so bad.

The thing is, the T'Wolves can get below the second apron without any major moves. If they don't take back any salary and send out Wendell Moore Jr., Leonard Miller and 27th Overall, they would be below the second apron.

So... it can be one trade and 3 separate trades, but your goal is to trade Wendell Moore Jr., Leonard Miller and 27th Overall without taking back any salary.

Karl-Anthony Towns $49,350,000
Rudy Gobert $43,827,587
Anthony Edwards $35,250,000
Jaden McDaniels $22,586,207
Naz Reid $13,986,432
Mike Conley $9,975,962
Nickeil Alexander-Walker $4,312,500
Josh Minott $2,019,699
Minimum $1,168,824
Minimum $1,168,824
Minimum $1,168,824
Minimum $1,168,824
Minimum $1,168,824
Minimum $1,168,824
Minimum $1,168,824

Total Salary $189,490,155
Cap Space -$47,490,155
Tax Space -$16,890,155
1st Apron Space -$9,890,155
2nd Apron Space $609,845
NYG
RealGM

Re: Wendell Moore Jr., Leonard Miller and 27th Overall For ??? 

Post#2 » by NYG » Sat Apr 20, 2024 1:34 am

All 3 to the Spurs for 35th Overall and 46th Overall
schaffy
Sixth Man
And1: 164

Post#3 » by schaffy » Sat Apr 20, 2024 2:03 am

Glen Taylor leaked that half-truth because no one around the state likes him all that much, including the best player in franchise history who wont even come back with Taylor still around, and after 30 years of ownership where the team has largely continued to trip all over themselves the only common denominator has been him and he didn't like that fans and local media were initially excited about new owners and then really disappointed when he pulled the plug and upset with him so he did what he could to try and get public opinion back on his side.

He may well want to get below the 2nd apron, he really hasn't been a tax payer in the past. But that leak was about being petty.

Sent from my SM-S901U using RealGM mobile app
wolves_89
Head Coach
And1: 4,041

Post#4 » by wolves_89 » Sat Apr 20, 2024 2:53 am

The NBA vet minimum for 2024-25 is $2.09M against the cap unless a player has 0-1 years of experience. Trading Miller does literally nothing to save money, so I'll be extremely shocked if he is moved. I think there is a significantly higher chance that Miller is a rotation player for Minnesota next season than there is that he gets moved.

I also expect the team to end up with one player taken in the late 1st or very early 2nd round of the draft. I don't see much chance the Wolves move their 1st round pick just to save money.

Moore is the only one of the mentioned pieces I could see the Wolves moving as a salary dump.

If the team is forced to cut salary (something I'm far from convinced is going to happen), the move almost has to be one of Rudy or KAT.
Texas Chuck
Senior Mod - NBA TnT Forum
Senior Mod - NBA TnT Forum
And1: 89,458

Post#5 » by Texas Chuck » Sat Apr 20, 2024 3:01 am

I mean Lore and co have had money issues the whole time having to put an NBA team on layaway for crying out loud. It's not just pettiness, its what Lore sent to the league and his lender. It was clearly their plan.

I think if they look to shave salary its Naz. Should be able to move him into space and get something back, I'd try and flip that return, maybe their own late 1st, and move WMJ money too for a cheap contributor.

But I hope whoever controls the team just pays tax for a year. Be a shame not to give this team at least a 2 year window.
ThunderBolt wrote:I’m going to let some of you in on a little secret I learned on realgm. If you don’t like a thread, not only do you not have to comment but you don’t even have to open it and read it. You’re welcome.
Domejandro
Forum Mod - Timberwolves
Forum Mod - Timberwolves
And1: 27,471

Post#6 » by Domejandro » Sat Apr 20, 2024 3:13 am

Texas Chuck wrote:I mean Lore and co have had money issues the whole time having to put an NBA team on layaway for crying out loud. It's not just pettiness, its what Lore sent to the league and his lender. It was clearly their plan.

I think if they look to shave salary its Naz. Should be able to move him into space and get something back, I'd try and flip that return, maybe their own late 1st, and move WMJ money too for a cheap contributor.

But I hope whoever controls the team just pays tax for a year. Be a shame not to give this team at least a 2 year window.

Minnesota would have a wider window if they traded Wendell Moore Jr. (or whatever near-minimum guy) and a second into cap space, but unfortunately the front-office forgot how the salary cap works, meaning that Minnesota could end up in the Luxury-Tax with Mike Conley's incentives, should Minnesota make the finals. It was awesome stuff, really great to potentially throw the team into the Repeater-Tax for zero reason.

Regardless, my expectation is that Minnesota (barring a first round exit) will eat the cost of the Luxury-Tax next season (maybe two seasons, if the Mike Conley incentive doesn't kick in), and then move forward from there (Rudy Gobert and Mike Conley both expire in two seasons, assuming Gobert picks up his team option).

A positive is that Glen Taylor has never been afraid to spend money, so not transferring ownership was a positive. Something kind of amusing is that, given how litigious and spiteful he is, Glen actually has an incentive/rationale to rack up higher payments to squeeze Marc Lore and Alex Rodriguez financially.
Wolveswin
Head Coach
And1: 2,544

Post#7 » by Wolveswin » Sat Apr 20, 2024 4:22 am

Cup of coffee?
SkyHook
Veteran
And1: 1,798

Post#8 » by SkyHook » Sat Apr 20, 2024 12:14 pm

wolves_89 wrote:The NBA vet minimum for 2024-25 is $2.09M against the cap unless a player has 0-1 years of experience. Trading Miller does literally nothing to save money, so I'll be extremely shocked if he is moved. I think there is a significantly higher chance that Miller is a rotation player for Minnesota next season than there is that he gets moved.

I also expect the team to end up with one player taken in the late 1st or very early 2nd round of the draft. I don't see much chance the Wolves move their 1st round pick just to save money.

Moore is the only one of the mentioned pieces I could see the Wolves moving as a salary dump.

If the team is forced to cut salary (something I'm far from convinced is going to happen), the move almost has to be one of Rudy or KAT.

Given this I wouldn’t expect Miller to be moved, but if the Wolves were inclined I’d want the Jazz to be all over it. Perfect use of their cap space. #32 + additional SRPs in future years?
Don’t make it personal, don’t take it personal.

Sellers don’t set market value. Buyers don’t set market value.
Market value only exists when two (or more) parties are in agreement.
NYG
RealGM

Post#9 » by NYG » Sat Apr 20, 2024 12:23 pm

wolves_89 wrote:The NBA vet minimum for 2024-25 is $2.09M against the cap unless a player has 0-1 years of experience. Trading Miller does literally nothing to save money, so I'll be extremely shocked if he is moved. I think there is a significantly higher chance that Miller is a rotation player for Minnesota next season than there is that he gets moved.

Where did you get $2.09M against the cap? I had lower for some reason but maybe I misread.

Return to Trades and Transactions