Offers for Paul Reed?

Moderators: Andre Roberstan, HartfordWhalers, BullyKing, Texas Chuck, MoneyTalks41890, Mamba4Goat, pacers33granger, Trader_Joe, loserX

HartfordWhalers
Senior Mod - 76ers and NBA TnT Forum
And1: 20,625

Offers for Paul Reed? 

Post#1 » by HartfordWhalers » Sat Apr 27, 2024 5:50 pm

Right now betting odds have Philly only 1 in 3 to advance, which means he would be fully unguaranteed. And he has been a very solid contributor, putting up 7ppg and 6rpg in 19 minutes with a ton of energy off the bench in his 4th season. Personally I think (almost?) every Sixers fan would love to keep him, guaranteed or not.

But supposing Philly is doing Morey things and looking to sign not just 1 but maybe 2 star free agents, what would your team offer for Paul Reed?

Contract is 7.7m in 24-25 (probably ungtd?), then 8.3m in 25-26 (also ungtd unless the team he is on then wins the 1st round in the playoffs in '25).

Side note: This isn't a team option situation, so there isn't a you need to decide to keep or dump him before free agency timing issue.
Godaddycurse
RealGM
And1: 10,363

Re: Offers for Paul Reed? 

Post#2 » by Godaddycurse » Sat Apr 27, 2024 5:54 pm

i take it you want teams taking him into capsapce or an exception? I doubt you will get much since teams can just wait to see if you will waive him
HartfordWhalers

Post#3 » by HartfordWhalers » Sat Apr 27, 2024 5:59 pm

Godaddycurse wrote:i take it you want teams taking him into capsapce or an exception? I doubt you will get much since teams can just wait to see if you will waive him

I mean if he is nongtd taking him in gives a TPE, so looks slightly better than cutting. But if the reason to cut would be to sign more free agents then the TPE would need to be waived. So yeah, looking for positive value versus neutral; or I guess a backup option if Sixers beat the Knicks and he does gtd. Not looking for anything crazy though, but curious if there is a mid 2nd or whatever.

{But mostly just posting a thread that doesn't involve 2-3 superstars moving at once}
psman2
General Manager
And1: 4,882

Post#4 » by psman2 » Sat Apr 27, 2024 6:02 pm

I wouldn't be opposed for Memphis to using our MLE or TPE/2nds to trade for him (assuming we waive Kennard) Or if we keep Kennard could dump Zaire/Rose on another team for max cash/2nds and offer another 2nd and cap space for Reed. Not my first option but not a bad 2/3 pivot option.
jayjaysee
King of the Trade Board
And1: 5,561

Post#5 » by jayjaysee » Sat Apr 27, 2024 6:25 pm

I think a trade would end up netting a couple seconds or one good one. Whether it’s directly (OKC?) or a three team using some teams cap space or TPE. Could see Memphis, Cleveland, Sac..

To suggest a bad idea.. Does Richards, 42, and Charlotte’s 2025 second for Reed work? Only saves 2.7 mil, but that might be enough..

But I think it’s more likely Philly keeps him, Philly can stack Reed+draft pick+small UNG contracts for over 20 million in a trade after signing a max. Think that feels more Morey.
HartfordWhalers

Post#6 » by HartfordWhalers » Sat Apr 27, 2024 6:30 pm

jayjaysee wrote:I think a trade would end up netting a couple seconds or one good one. Whether it’s directly (OKC?) or a three team using some teams cap space or TPE. Could see Memphis, Cleveland, Sac..

To suggest a bad idea.. Does Richards, 42, and Charlotte’s 2025 second for Reed work? Only saves 2.7 mil, but that might be enough..

But I think it’s more likely Philly keeps him, Philly can stack Reed+draft pick+small UNG contracts for over 20 million in a trade after signing a max. Think that feels more Morey.

The offer here could be a part of that as a 3 way?
jayjaysee
King of the Trade Board

Post#7 » by jayjaysee » Sat Apr 27, 2024 6:34 pm

HartfordWhalers wrote:
jayjaysee wrote:I think a trade would end up netting a couple seconds or one good one. Whether it’s directly (OKC?) or a three team using some teams cap space or TPE. Could see Memphis, Cleveland, Sac..

The offer here could be a part of that as a 3 way?

Would probably be smart to, “Brooklyn” would value an extra couple seconds over Reed.

So 2024 first and 2-4 other firsts (no offending either fan base there) for Bridges.
Godaddycurse
RealGM

Post#8 » by Godaddycurse » Sat Apr 27, 2024 7:04 pm

can they? they have to max Maxey as well. If they sign 2-3 FA's w/ remaining capspace, then add on 20M for maxeys' max vs caphold, that leaves them with like 20M before reaching 1st apron with lots of roster spots to need to fill still
jayjaysee
King of the Trade Board

Post#9 » by jayjaysee » Sat Apr 27, 2024 7:21 pm

Godaddycurse wrote:

can they? they have to max Maxey as well. If they sign 2-3 FA's w/ remaining capspace, then add on 20M for maxeys' max vs caphold, that leaves them with like 20M before reaching 1st apron with lots of roster spots to need to fill still

Does the first apron matter in this scenario? I’m not sure, thought only second.

But they’d be very limited on depth, yes.
Godaddycurse
RealGM

Post#10 » by Godaddycurse » Sat Apr 27, 2024 7:24 pm

jayjaysee wrote:
Godaddycurse wrote:

Does the first apron matter in this scenario? I’m not sure, thought only second.

200% of the outgoing salary (plus $250K), for any amount up to $7,500,000.
The outgoing salary plus $7.5MM, for any amount between $7,500,001 and $29,000,000.
125% of the outgoing salary (plus $250K), for any amount above $29,000,000.

there are for teams below first apron only, i presume thats what you were referring to when you said reed + draft pick + ung contracts net a over 20M player.
jayjaysee
King of the Trade Board

Post#11 » by jayjaysee » Sat Apr 27, 2024 7:37 pm

Godaddycurse wrote:
jayjaysee wrote:
Godaddycurse wrote:

200% of the outgoing salary (plus $250K), for any amount up to $7,500,000.
The outgoing salary plus $7.5MM, for any amount between $7,500,001 and $29,000,000.
125% of the outgoing salary (plus $250K), for any amount above $29,000,000.

there are for teams below first apron only, i presume thats what you were referring to when you said reed + draft pick + ung contracts net a over 20M player.

And that triggers a hard cap at first apron I assume? Still fee like they could sign a max and have a 20~ million with 10 other vet mins under that apron. But wouldn’t go with the OP
jayjaysee
King of the Trade Board

Post#12 » by jayjaysee » Sat Apr 27, 2024 7:49 pm

Try to pay for two of Wiggins/Joe/Jaylin in a Reed swap?

Presti is smart enough to know he can’t afford both Ioe and Wiggins and add another piece

Philly gets 2-3 guys who make barely above min cap holds that you’re happy with in your top 8 and commit to free agency dream
Devilanche
Head Coach
And1: 1,578

Post#13 » by Devilanche » Sun Apr 28, 2024 2:34 am

jayjaysee wrote:Try to pay for two of Wiggins/Joe/Jaylin in a Reed swap?

Presti is smart enough to know he can’t afford both Ioe and Wiggins and add another piece

Philly gets 2-3 guys who make barely above min cap holds that you’re happy with in your top 8 and commit to free agency dream

I think OKC can afford both Joe and wiggins.
MoneyTalks41890 wrote:No I’m myopic and shortsighted and I want my pile of draft picks.
jayjaysee
King of the Trade Board

Post#14 » by jayjaysee » Sun Apr 28, 2024 11:22 am

Devilanche wrote:

I think an owner can afford anything they want, so I agree.. But once your 4th-5th guard gets offered 10-13 million.. you probably end up just letting at least one of them walk.
Devilanche
Head Coach

Post#15 » by Devilanche » Sun Apr 28, 2024 11:34 am

jayjaysee wrote:
Devilanche wrote:

I think an owner can afford anything they want, so I agree.. But once your 4th-5th guard gets offered 10-13 million.. you probably end up just letting at least one of them walk.

Chet and Jdub are still on their rookie contract.
If there’s anytime to splurge on the rest of your rotation it’s when your stars are still on their rookie contract.

Now , I won’t believe that OKC owners will pay tax just cause they paid it before. Will need them to pony up again this time around when the time comes but next 2-3 seasons is not when I would worry about it.
MoneyTalks41890 wrote:No I’m myopic and shortsighted and I want my pile of draft picks.
jayjaysee
King of the Trade Board

Post#16 » by jayjaysee » Sun Apr 28, 2024 1:23 pm

Devilanche wrote:
jayjaysee wrote:
Devilanche wrote:I think OKC can afford both Joe and wiggins.

If there’s anytime to splurge on the rest of your rotation it’s when your stars are still on their rookie contract.

Now , I won’t believe that OKC owners will pay tax just cause they paid it before. Will need them to pony up again this time around when the time comes but next 2-3 seasons is not when I would worry about it.

I’m sorry, but I was definitely meaning..

“ Presti is smart enough to know he can’t afford both Ioe and Wiggins and add another piece” “once Chet/Jalen are on their max deals”

So it makes sense to trade 1 of them this offseason when they have the most value before the backup guards hit free agency. OKC has the cap space to replace whichever they trade this summer. I would be keeping Wiggins and moving on from Joe..

I expect OKC to be willing to pay the tax again. Just not sure paying what it costs to keep both Joe and Wiggins behind the guards they will be behind really makes sense. But if Clay is willing, that’s great news.. roster spots become an issue at some point though ya know..
Devilanche
Head Coach

Post#17 » by Devilanche » Sun Apr 28, 2024 1:34 pm

jayjaysee wrote:
Devilanche wrote:
jayjaysee wrote:

I’m sorry, but I was definitely meaning..

“ Presti is smart enough to know he can’t afford both Ioe and Wiggins and add another piece” “once Chet/Jalen are on their max deals”

So it makes sense to trade 1 of them this offseason when they have the most value before the backup guards hit free agency. OKC has the cap space to replace whichever they trade this summer. I would be keeping Wiggins and moving on from Joe..

I expect OKC to be willing to pay the tax again. Just not sure paying what it costs to keep both Joe and Wiggins behind the guards they will be behind really makes sense. But if Clay is willing, that’s great news.. roster spots become an issue at some point though ya know..

Honestly still a high chance of yours being the actual happening but as a fan , kinda early to be moving on from either just due to value argument. Eventually the backups will be just too expensive to keep all but not this soon I believe.

Roster spot should still be fine for 1-2 season .
Next season - Hayward/ Biyombo / Muscala / Lindy waters spot
2 season - whoever still around/replacement of that 4 plus one of Giddey/Dieng if not extended and like you note, probably one of Joe/Wiggins. Maybe Jaylin if we sign a backup big this offseason.
Scoot McGroot
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 11,127

Post#18 » by Scoot McGroot » Sun Apr 28, 2024 2:39 pm

If Indy loses Jalen Smith in free agency, could definitely see interest in absorbing Reed's contract, either via the MLE, or via turning a Smith signing elsewhere into a "3 way" sign and trade and just taking Reed in via Smith's outgoing salary. Definitely wouldn't pay a first to do so, and may only send cash, but could possibly send up to a couple 2nds, if need be?
brackdan70
RealGM
And1: 8,540

Post#19 » by brackdan70 » Sun Apr 28, 2024 2:52 pm

Age 24, plus skills as a rebounder and defender and can switch. Pretty quick feet. I think his contract is fair though definitely not underpaid. I think in general he is worth a decent second round pick even as a partial salary dump.
I don’t have a specific trade in mind though.
Sign here
brackdan70
RealGM
And1: 8,540

Post#20 » by brackdan70 » Sun Apr 28, 2024 2:56 pm

I understand the desire to chase some max level stars with cap space, but if it were me I would hold onto Reed as a solid backup big at fair price.
Sign here

Return to Trades and Transactions