Realistic but optimistic Jazz offseason.

Moderators: Trader_Joe, loserX, Andre Roberstan, HartfordWhalers, BullyKing, Texas Chuck, MoneyTalks41890, Mamba4Goat, pacers33granger

SkyHook
Veteran
And1: 1,805

Re: Realistic but optimistic Jazz offseason. 

Post#21 » by SkyHook » Mon Apr 29, 2024 2:42 pm

Colbinii wrote:
SkyHook wrote:
Colbinii wrote:
Bradley Beal?

LaVine is an all-star. No team would trade LaVine straight up for Collins.

Two years ago, as was Wiggins. No rational person would call either of them all-stars anymore. I’m not saying that Collins is either, but he gave FAR better bang for the buck than those two did this season.

I'm not sure why people view these players this way.

1) LaVine is significantly more talented
2) LaVine is significantly better
3) Last year LaVine put up 25/5/5 on +80 TS% in 77 games. This is an all-star level player, last year.

The idea that Collins has more value than LaVine is a massive red flag for player evaluation. No team in their right mind goes "Man, this LaVine guy had surgery this year but over the past 3 seasons was at 3.7 OBPM and +340 TS+ yet is less valuable than Collins.

Like come on. LaVine when healthy [which he has been for literally 5 of the past 6 seasons] is 10x the player Collins is.

1. Disagree
2. Disagree
3. Lavine’s TS% is perpetually lower than that of Collins.

Despite playing three more seasons and 50% more minutes, Zach’s career WS (a cumulative metric) is lower than John’s. Maybe Zach becomes an all-star again, but I wouldn’t wager a single penny on it. Maybe he’ll be mediocre at best after the foot surgery. Maybe he’s permanently regressed to the mediocre player he was before a couple of solid seasons. I’m far more comfortable with a $53MM commitment Collins than a $138MM gamble on a Lavine return to all-star form.
Don’t make it personal, don’t take it personal.

Sellers don’t set market value. Buyers don’t set market value.
Market value only exists when two (or more) parties are in agreement.
Texas Chuck
Senior Mod - NBA TnT Forum
Senior Mod - NBA TnT Forum
And1: 89,609

Post#22 » by Texas Chuck » Mon Apr 29, 2024 3:07 pm

Oh LaVine is way more talented than Collins. I don't think there is much question about that. But is he a more effective player? Maybe barely. Is he better value? No, I can't see that.

And I think if Chicago could trade him straight up for Collins they would do so incredibly quickly.
ThunderBolt wrote:I’m going to let some of you in on a little secret I learned on realgm. If you don’t like a thread, not only do you not have to comment but you don’t even have to open it and read it. You’re welcome.
HadAnEffectHere
Sixth Man
And1: 844

Post#23 » by HadAnEffectHere » Mon Apr 29, 2024 3:39 pm

The big thing about the Bulls is that they need to get under the luxury tax and Collins for LaVine gets them under the luxury tax.
JasonStern
RealGM
And1: 3,946

Post#24 » by JasonStern » Mon Apr 29, 2024 8:33 pm

LaVine is a better player than Collins, but I don't think either have the value fans are applying to them. The Jazz acquired Collins for Rudy Gay and a 2nd round pick, and he hasn't done anything on the court to boost that value. Meanwhile, LaVine is coming off of a serious injury. Trading him when his value is lowest is probably a red flag to other teams that the injury is more severe than, as fans, we would like.
"I don't get timeouts. You're getting paid millions. Go do basketball things."
- Chauncey Billups
babyjax13
RealGM
And1: 14,391

Post#25 » by babyjax13 » Mon Apr 29, 2024 9:15 pm

JasonStern wrote:LaVine is a better player than Collins, but I don't think either have the value fans are applying to them. The Jazz acquired Collins for Rudy Gay and a 2nd round pick, and he hasn't done anything on the court to boost that value. Meanwhile, LaVine is coming off of a serious injury. Trading him when his value is lowest is probably a red flag to other teams that the injury is more severe than, as fans, we would like.

I don't think the Utah fanbase has demonstrated they attribute value to Collins. His shooting did come back a bit, but he's a very "meh" player on a big contract.

JazzMatt13 wrote:just because I think aliens probably have to do with JFK, doesn't mean my theory that Jazz will never get Wiggins, isn't true.

JColl
JasonStern
RealGM
And1: 3,946

Post#26 » by JasonStern » Mon Apr 29, 2024 11:30 pm

babyjax13 wrote:
JasonStern wrote:LaVine is a better player than Collins, but I don't think either have the value fans are applying to them. The Jazz acquired Collins for Rudy Gay and a 2nd round pick, and he hasn't done anything on the court to boost that value. Meanwhile, LaVine is coming off of a serious injury. Trading him when his value is lowest is probably a red flag to other teams that the injury is more severe than, as fans, we would like.

I don't think the Utah fanbase has demonstrated they attribute value to Collins. His shooting did come back a bit, but he's a very "meh" player on a big contract.

Fair assessment. DeRozan and Collins were the two players I thought Portland would go after to appease Dame based on acquisition cost and roster fit. Probably for the best that the Blazers didn't go down that path, but we're bottom tier for the foreseeable future.

Personally, I never understood the Collins hate. I remember when I heard the Blazers drafted Collins, I was excited because I thought it was John - not Zach. John has flaws, especially on defense. But he's still a solid NBA starter.
"I don't get timeouts. You're getting paid millions. Go do basketball things."
- Chauncey Billups
babyjax13
RealGM
And1: 14,391

Post#27 » by babyjax13 » Tue Apr 30, 2024 4:29 am

JasonStern wrote:
babyjax13 wrote:

Fair assessment. DeRozan and Collins were the two players I thought Portland would go after to appease Dame based on acquisition cost and roster fit. Probably for the best that the Blazers didn't go down that path, but we're bottom tier for the foreseeable future.

Personally, I never understood the Collins hate. I remember when I heard the Blazers drafted Collins, I was excited because I thought it was John - not Zach. John has flaws, especially on defense. But he's still a solid NBA starter.

Yah, as a 5th starter he is fine. Nothing exciting and I think every team that has him would prefer an upgrade (kind of what DLo and Dinwiddie are to the point guard position, Collins is to power forward or center).

JazzMatt13 wrote:just because I think aliens probably have to do with JFK, doesn't mean my theory that Jazz will never get Wiggins, isn't true.

JColl

Return to Trades and Transactions