Reduce Miami's Payroll

Moderators: Trader_Joe, loserX, Andre Roberstan, HartfordWhalers, BullyKing, Texas Chuck, MoneyTalks41890, Mamba4Goat, pacers33granger

Texas Chuck
Senior Mod - NBA TnT Forum
And1: 89,610

Re: Reduce Miami's Payroll 

Post#21 » by Texas Chuck » Mon Apr 29, 2024 6:31 pm

BBallFreak wrote:
Texas Chuck wrote:
JasonStern wrote:I mean, knowing Heat fans on RealGM, Herro is worth some all-NBA/all-star player despite not being one. So, I don't see Heat fans buying on to any pure salary dump moves.

Tell me which all-NBA player Heat fans are demanding in a straight swap for Herro please.

You know he's referring to the summer and the Dame Lillard rumors.

Oh I would sure hope not. That doesn't seem correct or constructive.
ThunderBolt wrote:I’m going to let some of you in on a little secret I learned on realgm. If you don’t like a thread, not only do you not have to comment but you don’t even have to open it and read it. You’re welcome.
JasonStern
RealGM
And1: 3,946

Post#22 » by JasonStern » Mon Apr 29, 2024 7:51 pm

BBallFreak wrote:
JasonStern wrote:I mean, knowing Heat fans on RealGM, Herro is worth some all-NBA/all-star player despite not being one. So, I don't see Heat fans buying on to any pure salary dump moves.

But realistically, Rozier+1st/2nd for a cheaper version of Rozier is probably the smart move financially. Similar to the Suns shaving something like $15M pre-tax trading Ayton for Nurkic.

Not seeing anything from Portland. Best I can come up with is a Rozier+Jovic+2nd for Brogdon trade. But that would put Portland over the tax, so they would need to move Timelord for cap space, possibly with incentive. None of this really makes sense for Portland. And I don't see why Miami would sell low on Jovic. And if they were willing to, that's a red flag. So, Portland is probably not a destination.

I don't see any reason we'd trade Rozier, especially where we add value to downgrade. Seems really silly.

The logical move is Herro, where we send him out and get smaller, more moveable pieces.

Yeah. I see that. I just feel that Rozier would be easier to move. Herro's $29M/31M/33M contract isn't exactly positive value.

A Herro for McCollum trade might make some sense. But, while CJ's contract is declining over years, that doesn't help Miami tax cap wise now, which was the point of this thread.
"I don't get timeouts. You're getting paid millions. Go do basketball things."
- Chauncey Billups
JasonStern
RealGM

Post#23 » by JasonStern » Mon Apr 29, 2024 7:54 pm

Texas Chuck wrote:

Tell me which all-NBA player Heat fans are demanding in a straight swap for Herro please.

https://letmegooglethat.com/?q=realgm+lillard+herro

Texas Chuck wrote:
BBallFreak wrote:
Texas Chuck wrote:

You know he's referring to the summer and the Dame Lillard rumors.

Oh I would sure hope not. That doesn't seem correct or constructive.

It was. Not going to say I'm not jealous of the Heat organization. Well coached, well managed. But certain Heat fans - which I will not call out by name - can be insufferable at times.
- Chauncey Billups
Texas Chuck

Post#24 » by Texas Chuck » Mon Apr 29, 2024 7:56 pm

JasonStern wrote:
Texas Chuck wrote:

link doesn't work for me. So help a brother out here. Was it all Heat fans? A majority of Heat fans? Just one Heat fan? Did they really offer zero incentive?

I don't remember this, but I've been wrong before so its a sincere question. We can set aside the relevance and derailing portion of your post for the time being to first establish at what level Heat fans were guilty of this 9 months ago.
ThunderBolt wrote:I’m going to let some of you in on a little secret I learned on realgm. If you don’t like a thread, not only do you not have to comment but you don’t even have to open it and read it. You’re welcome.
SkyHook
Veteran
And1: 1,805

Post#25 » by SkyHook » Mon Apr 29, 2024 7:56 pm

Duncan Robinson + 2026 SRP (via LAL) for Jordan Clarkson reduces Heat payroll by $5.3MM.
Don’t make it personal, don’t take it personal.

Sellers don’t set market value. Buyers don’t set market value.
Market value only exists when two (or more) parties are in agreement.
Scoot McGroot
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 11,158

Post#26 » by Scoot McGroot » Mon Apr 29, 2024 7:57 pm

JasonStern wrote:
Texas Chuck wrote:

Oh, those are all Heat fans demanding Lillard straight up for Herro? Not at all Heat fans pitching deal with Herro, 2-3 1sts, young talent, etc all for Lillard?

Do you think that Herro + a lot of value for Lillard is he same as just Herro for Lillard?
Knickfan1982
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,160

Post#27 » by Knickfan1982 » Mon Apr 29, 2024 7:59 pm

NYG wrote:Assuming the following things...

1. Miami let's Caleb Martin and Haywood Highsmith leave via free agency
2. Miami signs 3 two-way contracts and just carries a 14-man roster

This would be Miami's total salary for a 14-man roster...

Jimmy Butler $48,798,677
Bam Adebayo $34,848,340
Tyler Herro $29,000,000
Terry Rozier $24,924,126
Duncan Robinson $19,406,000
Kevin Love $4,027,525
Jaime Jaquez Jr. $3,685,800
Josh Richardson $3,051,153
Thomas Bryant $2,845,342
Nikola Jovic $2,464,200
Orlando Robinson $2,120,693
15th Overall Pick $4,456,320
Minimum $2,093,637
Minimum $2,093,637

Total Salary $183,815,450
Cap Space -$42,815,450
Tax Space -$12,470,450
1st Apron Space -$5,160,450
2nd Apron Space $5,652,550

I would think getting at least below the 1st Apron would be a goal even if they remained above the tax, but how would they reduce $5.1 Million?

As a reference: https://www.spotrac.com/nba/rankings/player/_/year/2024/sort/cap_total

Also, keep in mind, you need to add a minimum salary if you free up a roster spot.

It wouldn't help a whole lot but how about

Duncan Robinson + #15 pick to the Knicks for Bojan and #25. Bojan costs like almost 400k less than Duncan and the salary difference between the two picks is about 1.2 million. So the Heat save like 1.6 million upfront plus more on the backend and don't miss a beat when it comes to long range shooting.

Knicks keep long range shooting off their bench while getting a higher draft pick that they can use to get a player with more upside or to make for a more attractive trade package.
Why rely on nuance, facts and logic when you can bludgeon the other side with mindless repetition of "Duuur McDaniel's has potential :tooth and still be treated as if you were reasonable.
Texas Chuck

Post#28 » by Texas Chuck » Mon Apr 29, 2024 8:01 pm

Scoot McGroot wrote:
JasonStern wrote:
Texas Chuck wrote:

Oh, those are all Heat fans demanding Lillard straight up for Herro? Not at all Heat fans pitching deal with Herro, 2-3 1sts, young talent, etc all for Lillard?

Do you think that Herro + a lot of value for Lillard is he same as just Herro for Lillard?

Oh please tell me Jason you didn't send a link of Herro plus incentive for Dame. Not sure the relevance in the first place, but to intentionally mislead us to slander Heat fans is not at all what we should be doing on this board.

I get you are angry that there were rumors that Dame wanted Miami. and that Miami fans here were excited about this idea. But....
JasonStern
RealGM

Post#29 » by JasonStern » Mon Apr 29, 2024 8:03 pm

Texas Chuck wrote:
JasonStern wrote:
Texas Chuck wrote:

link doesn't work for me. So help a brother out here. Was it all Heat fans? A majority of Heat fans? Just one Heat fan? Did they really offer zero incentive?

I don't remember this, but I've been wrong before so its a sincere question. We can set aside the relevance and derailing portion of your post for the time being to first establish at what level Heat fans were guilty of this 9 months ago.

No. It was a vocal minority. Again, not calling anyone out by name. But, it was an annoying time as a Blazers fan as the fan base was heartbroken that Dame wanted out to begin with. The Herro for Dame and "if you could also take on Duncan Robinson's dead weight, that would be great" posts were rather irritating. Again, nothing personal. I'm sure I say stupid crap all of the time.
- Chauncey Billups
JasonStern
RealGM

Post#30 » by JasonStern » Mon Apr 29, 2024 8:12 pm

Texas Chuck wrote:
Scoot McGroot wrote:

Oh please tell me Jason you didn't send a link of Herro plus incentive for Dame. Not sure the relevance in the first place, but to intentionally mislead us to slander Heat fans is not at all what we should be doing on this board.

I get you are angry that there were rumors that Dame wanted Miami. and that Miami fans here were excited about this idea. But....

I'm not angry. Honestly, getting out of Dame's contract was probably for the best franchise wise long-term.

And I respect the Heat as an organization. Well run from coaching up to ownership, whereas the Blazers are currently a total mess.

But if you're a well run organization in a free agent destination that has a recent history of winning, you're going to have some biased takes. I explicitly went out of my way to not call anyone specific out. The same holds true for a select group of Lakers fans. Enjoy what you have. No need to gloat.

But back to the topic on hand, Rozier seems like the most movable large contract. Miami could probably move him for someone nearly as good but at half the price without giving up major long-term assets.
- Chauncey Billups
dubasilva
Junior
And1: 446

Post#31 » by dubasilva » Mon Apr 29, 2024 8:15 pm

Skybox wrote:Herro and 15 to ORL
WCJ, Jett Howard and 18 to MIA

...or, Herro for WCJ and keep Caleb

I think Herro moving makes some sense with Rozier in-house

Love that trade. Works for me!
Skybox
RealGM
And1: 5,770

Post#32 » by Skybox » Mon Apr 29, 2024 8:19 pm

dubasilva wrote:

Love that trade. Works for me!

Also, I'd love ORL to grab Caleb as a UFA
They_Them_Hatin
Sixth Man
And1: 550

Post#33 » by They_Them_Hatin » Mon Apr 29, 2024 9:04 pm

Miami should take this trade and run. They save $13 million, get some size & move down 3 spots to draft the same player who would probably be available.
NYG
RealGM
And1: 2,662

Post#34 » by NYG » Tue Apr 30, 2024 12:06 am

They_Them_Hatin wrote:

Miami should take this trade and run. They save $13 million, get some size & move down 3 spots to draft the same player who would probably be available.

I don't think the pick swap is a deal breaker, is it? Reason I ask is because this feel likes both teams would probably want to explore all of their options before making the move which would be post-draft.
zimpy27
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 37,323

Post#35 » by zimpy27 » Tue Apr 30, 2024 12:26 am

Herro+Rozier for Beal

They save $4m next season..
"Let's play some basketball!" - Fergie
HadAnEffectHere
Sixth Man
And1: 844

Post#36 » by HadAnEffectHere » Tue Apr 30, 2024 12:42 am

zimpy27 wrote:Herro+Rozier for Beal

They save $4m next season..

They would have to dump Duncan Robinson for nearly free as they're over the second apron and thus can't aggregate salaries.

Also, this is horrible for Miami.

Return to Trades and Transactions