Instant Reaction: What Do The Suns Do This Off-Season?

Moderators: Trader_Joe, loserX, Andre Roberstan, HartfordWhalers, BullyKing, Texas Chuck, MoneyTalks41890, Mamba4Goat, pacers33granger

NYG
RealGM
And1: 2,659

Instant Reaction: What Do The Suns Do This Off-Season? 

Post#1 » by NYG » Mon Apr 29, 2024 7:51 am

What does Phoenix do this off-season?
Mavrelous
Forum Mod - Mavericks
Forum Mod - Mavericks
And1: 10,680

Re: Instant Reaction: What Do The Suns Do This Off-Season? 

Post#2 » by Mavrelous » Mon Apr 29, 2024 8:01 am

They have nothing to work with except KD and Booker.
Only realistic trade is KD for depth, the inverse of the original KD trade.
blicka wrote:Can't wait to see doncic on an island vs jimmy butler,paul george or kahwi leonard and those weak ass moves that work in europe getting shut down
Dan Z
RealGM
And1: 7,286

Post#3 » by Dan Z » Mon Apr 29, 2024 8:05 am

Mavrelous wrote:They have nothing to work with except KD and Booker.

They have their 2024 pick and can trade their 2031 pick. But I don't think they should.

I'm not sure they'd get enough value to make a KD trade worth it.
ACMFFL
Senior
And1: 567

Post#4 » by ACMFFL » Mon Apr 29, 2024 8:50 am

Dan Z wrote:
Mavrelous wrote:They have nothing to work with except KD and Booker.

They have their 2024 pick and can trade their 2031 pick. But I don't think they should.

I'm not sure they'd get enough value to make a KD trade worth it.

If I dont remember wrong, teams above the second apron cannot move first round picks 7 years out.
"All dreams are crazy until they come true."
m1chal
Rookie
And1: 829

Post#5 » by m1chal » Mon Apr 29, 2024 10:25 am

I would blow it up
Wolveswin
Head Coach
And1: 2,550

Post#6 » by Wolveswin » Mon Apr 29, 2024 10:28 am

To Knicks: KD

To Suns: Randle + Robinson + Picks as needed

Knicks would have to see KD as a nice win-now upgrade. More than media hype would anyway.

Suns break KD down into two pieces. Plus can trade Nurkic salary plus little draft capital (own + Knicks) they now have for a PG.
R-DAWG
RealGM
And1: 5,038

Post#7 » by R-DAWG » Mon Apr 29, 2024 11:51 am

First thing I would do is call the Lakers and see if they would consider a DLo + Rui + Vincent for Beal swap. The Lakers are one of the few teams that could justify the Beal contract, especially if the Lebron takes less money to keep the team in range for the full MLE (they would be 7 deep of nba vets with James, Davis, Beal, Reaves, vando, prince, MLE) . If I’m the Lakers I’m asking for PHX to include their 2024 1st here but I’m not sure it’s necessary.

But for the Suns, this starts the path to a re-tool around Booker/Durant. Forget the lack of depth, but the skill set of this big 3 felt very redundant.

Russell-Booker-O’Neal-Durant-Nurkic
Vincent-Allen-Rui

Not perfect, but more depth, better firing pieces and future flexibility.

If they don’t move the pick in the above mentioned Beal swap, i would look to package the pick with Nurk for a rim runner. Would ATL take on an extra year of Nurks salary to turn Clint Capela into a pick?
jayu70
RealGM
And1: 11,982

Post#8 » by jayu70 » Mon Apr 29, 2024 12:06 pm

R-DAWG wrote: Would ATL take on an extra year of Nurks salary to turn Clint Capela into a pick?

:nod:
HadAnEffectHere
Sixth Man
And1: 843

Post#9 » by HadAnEffectHere » Mon Apr 29, 2024 12:41 pm

You HAVE to trade Durant.

I'm not sure Isiah Thomas is smart enough to do so.
jayjaysee
King of the Trade Board
And1: 5,615

Post#10 » by jayjaysee » Mon Apr 29, 2024 12:43 pm

I have been saying they should just work around the edges and keep everyone.. but after that series it’s hard to think that’s the right answer anymore.

They lost to the better team/seed, so losing isn’t the issue just how they lost IMO.

But I think I still side with work around the edges since they are so pushed in. Fire coach, trade the 2024 first..

For Realgm, I’d see if a team takes Beal+KD as a package and work a third team in as necessary... Not sure they agree to go to a team that can legally do that, but there are teams that it could make sense on.
Godaddycurse
RealGM
And1: 10,434

Post#11 » by Godaddycurse » Mon Apr 29, 2024 12:44 pm

jayu70 wrote:
R-DAWG wrote: Would ATL take on an extra year of Nurks salary to turn Clint Capela into a pick?

:nod:

Phoenix can't do that if they are in the 2nd apron. Capela makes more than Nurk
Rafael122
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 2,808

Post#12 » by Rafael122 » Mon Apr 29, 2024 1:27 pm

Wolveswin wrote:To Knicks: KD

Knicks would have to see KD as a nice win-now upgrade. More than media hype would anyway.

Suns break KD down into two pieces. Plus can trade Nurkic salary plus little draft capital (own + Knicks) they now have for a PG.

I think this trade makes sense. Knicks have two picks in this year's draft, Phoenix should grab one of them, keep the pick they have now and just build out the depth.

Nurk can probably be flipped for something like DFS and a couple of second rounders. Booker/Beal/Allen/Randle/Robinson is not a bad starting 5. You get DFS and both first rounders as bench pieces, and maybe bring back a couple of their min guys to round out depth. It's not going to win a championship, but at the very least you become 6-7 deep.
Bickerstaff: who's up for kickball?!!
Ed Wood: Only if it's the no-pants variety.
gswhoops
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 3,842

Post#13 » by gswhoops » Mon Apr 29, 2024 1:33 pm

I mean your options are basically (1) nibble around the edges and hope that Booker/KD/Beal are healthier next year, or (2) trade KD and re-set around Booker.

Smart money says they go with (1) and end up in basically the same place next year: a 4-6 seed and a first/second round exit.
Wolveswin
Head Coach
And1: 2,550

Post#14 » by Wolveswin » Mon Apr 29, 2024 1:35 pm

Rafael122 wrote:

I think this trade makes sense. Knicks have two picks in this year's draft, Phoenix should grab one of them, keep the pick they have now and just build out the depth.

Nurk can probably be flipped for something like DFS and a couple of second rounders. Booker/Beal/Allen/Randle/Robinson is not a bad starting 5. You get DFS and both first rounders as bench pieces, and maybe bring back a couple of their min guys to round out depth. It's not going to win a championship, but at the very least you become 6-7 deep.

I would be all in on a PG with Nurkic salary and picks.

White or fallback Caruso from Chicago would be my first choice. Bulls probably don’t want Nurkic so find a 3rd team who needs a center.

Robinson (more D at rim)
Randle
Booker
Beal
White

I would be tempted to require Beal and his 50M to be a super 6th, closing games, and scoring at will with 2nd unit.
Celts17Pride
RealGM
And1: 63,601

Post#15 » by Celts17Pride » Mon Apr 29, 2024 1:48 pm

They should try real hard to move Beal and get a better balance for their team. Going to be real difficult but there is always one team willing to do something stupid.
gswhoops
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 3,842

Post#16 » by gswhoops » Mon Apr 29, 2024 1:48 pm

Rafael122 wrote:

DFS is significantly more valuable than Nurk. I have Phoenix needing to add at least a first to that swap.
Bum Adebayo
General Manager
And1: 4,074

Post#17 » by Bum Adebayo » Mon Apr 29, 2024 2:41 pm

Issue is that Booker, KD and Beal don't fit. Get Embiid and the fit with KD is fantastic.
KD + Embiid + Beal has serious championship aspirations. Sixers get Booker as a consolation prize, as much as it pains me to see Embiid go.
TGW
RealGM
And1: 5,933

Post#18 » by TGW » Mon Apr 29, 2024 2:51 pm

Stay pat and try and fix the pieces around them. Minny looked bad the year before after the Gobert trade, and now they're the #1 seed. Give it another year then blow it up.
Some random troll wrote:Not to sound negative, but this team is owned by an arrogant cheapskate, managed by a moron and coached by an idiot. Recipe for disaster.
Texas Chuck
Senior Mod - NBA TnT Forum
Senior Mod - NBA TnT Forum
And1: 89,589

Post#19 » by Texas Chuck » Mon Apr 29, 2024 3:04 pm

I think you try and find that magic needle to thread where you can turn Beal and limited assets into bad contracts that fit better. But finding a team wanting to do that very thing that Beal will also agree to go to is likely impossible. But you have to try.

Other than that, send out KD to recruit old ring chasers and Booker to recruit guys with talent who have failed elsewhere who will play on one year min deals and hope you get a better mix this time.

Can't get better realistically trading KD so I strongly disagree they must do that.
ThunderBolt wrote:I’m going to let some of you in on a little secret I learned on realgm. If you don’t like a thread, not only do you not have to comment but you don’t even have to open it and read it. You’re welcome.
Mamba4Goat
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 7,949

Post#20 » by Mamba4Goat » Mon Apr 29, 2024 3:20 pm

Is there a 2024 1st plus Nurk for tolerable playmaking PG and decent bench forward type deal out there?
Rest in peace Mamba. There'll never be another Kobe.

Return to Trades and Transactions