Instant Reaction: What Do The Suns Do This Off-Season?

Moderators: Trader_Joe, loserX, Andre Roberstan, HartfordWhalers, BullyKing, Texas Chuck, MoneyTalks41890, Mamba4Goat, pacers33granger

BK_2020
RealGM
And1: 14,500

Re: Instant Reaction: What Do The Suns Do This Off-Season? 

Post#101 » by BK_2020 » Tue Apr 30, 2024 10:49 am

Beal to Miami for Herro and Duncan Robinson.
jayjaysee
King of the Trade Board
And1: 5,636

Post#102 » by jayjaysee » Tue Apr 30, 2024 11:21 am

Just for fun..

Beal for Wiggins, Looney, Payton, Moody.

Not adding any picks, but probably should add a first going to both teams to balance value.

Phoenix is likely trying to flip two of those guys for a PG of any level and Golden State is comfortable staying over the tax / under the first apron..
schaffy
Sixth Man
And1: 167

Post#103 » by schaffy » Tue Apr 30, 2024 11:47 am

zimpy27 wrote:
HadAnEffectHere wrote:
zimpy27 wrote:

Little+#23

Name literally a single good PoA defender who:

1. Is available for a late first
2. Makes less than $6.75m

Grimes, DSJ, Dunn, NAW, Alvarado

Pat Bev for free maybe

Given minnesotas own upcoming cap issues I can't see them dealing NAW and his bargain deal for #23. He's an important rotation guy, especially so with Anderson and the 2 backup PGs all becoming FAs.

Sent from my SM-S901U using RealGM mobile app
jredsaz
General Manager
And1: 2,803

Post#104 » by jredsaz » Tue Apr 30, 2024 7:27 pm

NYG wrote:
jredsaz wrote:
Rafael122 wrote:
I think this trade makes sense. Knicks have two picks in this year's draft, Phoenix should grab one of them, keep the pick they have now and just build out the depth.

Nurk can probably be flipped for something like DFS and a couple of second rounders. Booker/Beal/Allen/Randle/Robinson is not a bad starting 5. You get DFS and both first rounders as bench pieces, and maybe bring back a couple of their min guys to round out depth. It's not going to win a championship, but at the very least you become 6-7 deep.

That’s not a good trade for the suns.

NYG wrote:Hire Mike Budenholzer

Nassir Little for Jevon Carter
Jusuf Nurkic and 22 for Nick Richards and Grant Williams
Re-sign Royce O'Neale

Add 42 going back to the Suns
Add signing Chris Paul to minimum?

Do you mind that?

Better than what we currently have. Not sure if Charlotte bites though.
eitanr
General Manager
And1: 300

Post#105 » by eitanr » Wed May 1, 2024 2:16 am

Thought a lot about this. I think Phoenix has several scenarios:

1. Run it back, but maybe with an addition/wrinkle
-This is most likely scenario. The addition could be CP3, if he wants one final deep run where he's a massive part of the offense OR Suns could opt for Kyle Lowry in a similar scenario. Then you move Beal to 6th man.

2. Change the coach
-This only makes sense if your getting a truly impactful coach stylistically. The only available one that I could theorize (with a hefty overpay) is bringing back Mike D'Antoni. Maybe Mike unlocks something more playing Booker at the 1. He's the best at maxing offensive talent.

3. Revamp, by moving Durant
-The most interesting trades for Durant I would envision are via Golden State or New York. Would the Warriors move some combo of Kuminga and one of Moody/Podz and Wiggins for Durant (is that enough?)? How about NYK with Randle/Bogy (for cap ease purposes) and their slew of picks? Phoenix would get younger and a bit more depth around Booker.

4. Rebuild to the studs
-The Suns might be best off rebuilding as quickly as possible if they know this unit isn't going to amount to a playoff win.
A. Durant can be moved for the aforementioned Golden State, NYK package of even Lakers for Russ (exp), Reaves and their 2 future 1sts and pick swaps. There's probably more deals out there too.
B. Moving Booker is the key here. Phoenix would need to either get all their picks pack and some (Sonny Weaver Jr style) via BKN (Something like Booker to BKN for all Suns 1sts and swaps back, DFS, Cam Thomas...still feels light....maybe add Cleveland in a 3 way too - where Mitchell goes to BKN/Book to Cleveland, and Suns also get Okoro and other pick swaps...still light Mayo).
The other destination is Houston. They can build a package around Jalen Green, some combo of Whitmore/Eason and all those Nets firsts. Super hard to rebuild though unless they get those picks past.
Read the best NBA Articles on the Web right here, delivering innovative insights and a unique perspectives on all the happenings of the league.

http://fullcourtanalytics.blogspot.com/
Chinook
Head Coach
And1: 3,480

Post#106 » by Chinook » Wed May 1, 2024 5:02 pm

One of the pathways I don't see mentioned is to trade Booker for pieces that fit better with Durant and Beal and still try to compete. Tanking does nothing for them, and it's not clear what market Durant has. Any value that can be recovered from Beal requires him to play well in a good situation. So run with Durant and Beal as the main scorers, trade Booker for a haul including a legit PG and some defenders and go into the season trying to play well without contender expectations. If good Durant or Beal deals come up, take them. But otherwise, just try to have a roster that fits and can figure out how to play together.
nate33
Forum Mod - Wizards
Forum Mod - Wizards
And1: 19,556

Post#107 » by nate33 » Wed May 1, 2024 8:09 pm

TGW wrote:Stay pat and try and fix the pieces around them. Minny looked bad the year before after the Gobert trade, and now they're the #1 seed. Give it another year then blow it up.

This is the boring but accurate answer.

Sure, they might look to trade Beal for depth, but I doubt they'll find anyone to take the other side of that trade.

They definitely won't trade Booker. Not after just 1 season with him and KD together.

And they absolutely won't blow it up by trading Booker and/or KD for picks. There is no chance whatsoever that Phoenix attempts to rebuild from the position they're in. You cannot overestimate the extent to which not owning your own picks makes a rebuild impossible. Think about it. Tanking does NOTHING for them! It doesn't give them higher picks and it doesn't even give fans hope for the future because the fans know they won't be getting picks. It's just losing with no benefit whatsoever. It's totally demoralizing for the players and fanbase.

The only other option would be to trade KD for a slightly younger, slightly cheaper, not quite as good player for the purposes of avoiding the tax and trying to at least stay competitive for the next 5 years while they don't own their picks. But the player they get back has to be pretty good. It can't be Rui, Russell and late picks. It needs to be something like Ingram + Dyson Daniels.
BVPN
Sixth Man
And1: 292

Post#108 » by BVPN » Wed May 1, 2024 8:49 pm

Beal + this years first round pick for Dejounte Murray and Capela. Then flip Nurkic for a wing of some sort
DFC Pride

Texas Chuck
Senior Mod - NBA TnT Forum
And1: 89,655

Post#109 » by Texas Chuck » Wed May 1, 2024 8:54 pm

eitanr wrote:Thought a lot about this. I think Phoenix has several scenarios:

1. Run it back, but maybe with an addition/wrinkle
-This is most likely scenario. The addition could be CP3, if he wants one final deep run where he's a massive part of the offense OR Suns could opt for Kyle Lowry in a similar scenario. Then you move Beal to 6th man.

I like the ideas of Paul or Lowry, or maybe you could go to them and say why split the job and try to get both. Both are super proud and super competitive but also smart enough to know they can't play FT minutes for 82 games.
ThunderBolt wrote:I’m going to let some of you in on a little secret I learned on realgm. If you don’t like a thread, not only do you not have to comment but you don’t even have to open it and read it. You’re welcome.
Jody Smokz
Starter
And1: 1,393

Post#110 » by Jody Smokz » Wed May 1, 2024 11:37 pm

I don't see GS entertaining a deal for Beal. He's the anti thesis of how they want to play basketball. He's also a terrible fit next to Steph defensively in the backcourt. Wiggins is their best POA defender and doesn't need a lot of shots to be effective. Granted he's been having some personal issues but roster wise he fits better than Beal in a vacuum.

jayjaysee wrote:Just for fun..

Not adding any picks, but probably should add a first going to both teams to balance value.

Phoenix is likely trying to flip two of those guys for a PG of any level and Golden State is comfortable staying over the tax / under the first apron..
jredsaz
General Manager
And1: 2,803

Post#111 » by jredsaz » Thu May 2, 2024 4:51 am

Jody Smokz wrote:I don't see GS entertaining a deal for Beal. He's the anti thesis of how they want to play basketball. He's also a terrible fit next to Steph defensively in the backcourt. Wiggins is their best POA defender and doesn't need a lot of shots to be effective. Granted he's been having some personal issues but roster wise he fits better than Beal in a vacuum.

jayjaysee wrote:Just for fun..

Beal isn’t going anywhere.
amcoolio
Hornets Forum John Hancock
And1: 9,303

Post#112 » by amcoolio » Thu May 2, 2024 5:13 am

Can Beal realistically play for any playoff team next year? I think he's reached unplayable status. I mean he was unbearably bad this series. Sure he hit 6 threes in one game but gave twice the amount up the other end. He's by far the worst contract in the NBA now with Simmons only having a year left. A rich man's Jordan Poole?
I don't support domestic violence. Thanks Miles
nate33
Forum Mod - Wizards
Forum Mod - Wizards
And1: 19,556

Post#113 » by nate33 » Thu May 2, 2024 11:45 am

amcoolio wrote:Can Beal realistically play for any playoff team next year? I think he's reached unplayable status. I mean he was unbearably bad this series. Sure he hit 6 threes in one game but gave twice the amount up the other end. He's by far the worst contract in the NBA now with Simmons only having a year left. A rich man's Jordan Poole?

It's hard not to separate Beal's play from his contract. He is obviously a terrible player relative to his contract, but he is still a totally competent NBA player. If he was being paid the MLE or something, Phoenix would be pretty happy with his 18 points, 5 assists, and 4.4 rebounds on .607 TS%. It's basically the same production as Austin Reaves.

He was worse in the playoffs, but that was due to one all-time horrific game in Game 4. Prior to that, he produced just as well as he did in the regular season.
HadAnEffectHere
Sixth Man
And1: 845

Post#114 » by HadAnEffectHere » Thu May 2, 2024 12:15 pm

If you don't trade KD, you have to extend him, and if you extend him, there's just extreme downside risk that he'll have no trade value by next year.

You have to trade KD.
Astaluego
Sophomore
And1: 111

Post#115 » by Astaluego » Thu May 2, 2024 12:47 pm

The future of the Suns is extremely bleak and the current KD will not bring a return that will avoid it. Start by hiring a coach who best fits the style of your Big 3, and knows how to take advantage of them.

Trade Nurkic to the Warriors for Looney+GP2..

In the event that they take their team option and want to go to a contender, trade with the Bulls for Drummond/Craig/Carter.. Little+Roddy+newbie they choose+Filling..

re-sign Royce get a few cheap dogs in free agency DSJ/Dunn/Osman/Bullock/PJ Tucker/Okeke etc....

Booker/Carter/Dunn?
Beal/Allen/Okogie
GP2/Royce/Bullock
KD/Craig/Osman?
Drummond/Looney
Old Mike Lorenzo
gswhoops
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 3,847

Post#116 » by gswhoops » Thu May 2, 2024 3:46 pm

Astaluego wrote:The future of the Suns is extremely bleak and the current KD will not bring a return that will avoid it. Start by hiring a coach who best fits the style of your Big 3, and knows how to take advantage of them.

In the event that they take their team option and want to go to a contender, trade with the Bulls for Drummond/Craig/Carter.. Little+Roddy+newbie they choose+Filling..

re-sign Royce get a few cheap dogs in free agency DSJ/Dunn/Osman/Bullock/PJ Tucker/Okeke etc....

Booker/Carter/Dunn?
Beal/Allen/Okogie
GP2/Royce/Bullock
KD/Craig/Osman?
Drummond/Looney

I'd take that in a heartbeat, but it's a terrible idea for Phoenix. Looney looks pretty cooked and GP2 is never healthy.
Stix
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,540

Post#117 » by Stix » Thu May 2, 2024 4:13 pm

Astaluego wrote:The future of the Suns is extremely bleak and the current KD will not bring a return that will avoid it. Start by hiring a coach who best fits the style of your Big 3, and knows how to take advantage of them.

Booker/Carter/Dunn?
Beal/Allen/Okogie
GP2/Royce/Bullock
KD/Craig/Osman?
Drummond/Looney

gtfo
HartfordWhalers
Senior Mod - 76ers and NBA TnT Forum
Senior Mod - 76ers and NBA TnT Forum
And1: 20,653

Post#118 » by HartfordWhalers » Thu May 2, 2024 6:01 pm

Stix wrote:

Booker/Carter/Dunn?
Beal/Allen/Okogie
GP2/Royce/Bullock
KD/Craig/Osman?
Drummond/Looney

gtfo

This is a great example of how to get a warning. Don't act like this again on here.
Stix
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,540

Post#119 » by Stix » Thu May 2, 2024 6:14 pm

Beal for Curry...

Curry/Book/Royce/KD/Nurkic

:nod:
Texas Chuck
And1: 89,655

Post#120 » by Texas Chuck » Thu May 2, 2024 6:19 pm

Stix wrote:Beal for Curry...

Curry/Book/Royce/KD/Nurkic

:nod:

You were just asked by a mod to not post like this and then broke one of the few formal rules we have with stupid counters. Take a break and if you decide to stop back by please try contributing.
ThunderBolt wrote:I’m going to let some of you in on a little secret I learned on realgm. If you don’t like a thread, not only do you not have to comment but you don’t even have to open it and read it. You’re welcome.

Return to Trades and Transactions