Instant Reaction: What Do The Suns Do This Off-Season?

Moderators: Trader_Joe, loserX, Andre Roberstan, HartfordWhalers, BullyKing, Texas Chuck, MoneyTalks41890, Mamba4Goat, pacers33granger

NYG
RealGM
And1: 2,663

Re: Instant Reaction: What Do The Suns Do This Off-Season? 

Post#141 » by NYG » Sat May 4, 2024 7:17 pm

If the Suns got Kessler for Little and '31 1st...

What would they look for out of a Nurkic and 22 deal?
Karmaloop
General Manager
And1: 1,494

Post#142 » by Karmaloop » Sat May 4, 2024 9:50 pm

Suns, like the Clippers, mortgaged the future and flexibility to become instant contenders. I'm not sure there's anything that's going to fix anything substantially moving forward. Kevin Durant obviously isn't going anywhere, and Bradley Beal's NTC pretty much keeps him in Phoenix short of a contender building a package for him that doesn't decimate their roster. They'd probably get a haul if they made Devin Booker available, but their owner probably isn't inclined to do so. Can't imagine Nurkic has any real substantial value around the league.
NCHeels2008
RealGM
And1: 2,651

Post#143 » by NCHeels2008 » Sat May 4, 2024 10:20 pm

NYG wrote:If the Suns got Kessler for Little and '31 1st...

Dude if Kessler is that cheap other teams should outbid them
tester551
Assistant Coach
And1: 848

Post#144 » by tester551 » Sat May 4, 2024 10:25 pm

NCHeels2008 wrote:

Agreed.
Portland would be at the font of the line here.
Mr Swagtastic
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 3,208

Post#145 » by Mr Swagtastic » Sat May 4, 2024 11:06 pm

BVPN wrote:Beal + this years first round pick for Dejounte Murray and Capela. Then flip Nurkic for a wing of some sort

I don't see how Atlanta can do this. Murray at least it's a bigger guard who can defend. Beal and Trae Young is probably one of the worst defensive backcourts and you cripple yourself with that deal.
zimpy27 wrote:Any chance the Suns can get Dejounte Murray with Beal and their 2 FRPs?
Can anyone explain how Trae Young and Beal can co-exist?

I think The Suns do this first gives KD the batman role Booker as Robin and Murray is the third fiddle (nightwing) plus they shed a bunch of salary
Lord Leoshes wrote:i personally would rather keep Chalmers over Lowry
Slim Charless
RealGM
And1: 6,303

Post#146 » by Slim Charless » Sat May 4, 2024 11:08 pm

jredsaz wrote:
HadAnEffectHere wrote:If you don't trade KD, you have to extend him, and if you extend him, there's just extreme downside risk that he'll have no trade value by next year.

You have to trade KD.

I agree with the premise. Think that’s much more likely to happen if they keep and extend KD than them figuring it out and winning a ring. To take it a step further, if they stick with and extend KD it is probably the last big piece they will be able to add next to Booker during his prime.

They aren’t trading KD tho unless he and Book want it to happen. As a suns fan I hope they can figure it out, somehow, but it’s highly unlikely.

I think the open minded way out of this is a Booker trade. I've mentioned it before, but I don't think KD asks out if Booker is moved. Especially with the likely haul Phoenix will get for trading him.

Houston in particular sounds good as they have control of BRK's draft future. Along with a number of players that fit with KD and Beal. Orlando is another very good choice if they decide to move him.
Slim Charless
RealGM

Post#147 » by Slim Charless » Sat May 4, 2024 11:10 pm

Karmaloop wrote:Suns, like the Clippers, mortgaged the future and flexibility to become instant contenders. I'm not sure there's anything that's going to fix anything substantially moving forward. Kevin Durant obviously isn't going anywhere, and Bradley Beal's NTC pretty much keeps him in Phoenix short of a contender building a package for him that doesn't decimate their roster. They'd probably get a haul if they made Devin Booker available, but their owner probably isn't inclined to do so. Can't imagine Nurkic has any real substantial value around the league.

I agree with most of this....and used to buy clothes from that website way back in the day lol.
NYG
RealGM

Post#148 » by NYG » Sun May 5, 2024 1:50 am

NCHeels2008 wrote:

Who do you have as the best realistic center for the Suns?
NCHeels2008
RealGM
And1: 2,651

Post#149 » by NCHeels2008 » Sun May 5, 2024 3:36 am

NYG wrote:
NCHeels2008 wrote:

Who do you have as the best realistic center for the Suns?

Jusuf Nurkic?
zimpy27
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 37,373

Post#150 » by zimpy27 » Sun May 5, 2024 6:45 am

If Suns could get Kessler for Nurkic then that's a great idea for trade to free up money.
"Let's play some basketball!" - Fergie
jredsaz
General Manager
And1: 2,803

Post#151 » by jredsaz » Sun May 5, 2024 9:01 am

Slim Charless wrote:
jredsaz wrote:
HadAnEffectHere wrote:If you don't trade KD, you have to extend him, and if you extend him, there's just extreme downside risk that he'll have no trade value by next year.

You have to trade KD.

I agree with the premise. Think that’s much more likely to happen if they keep and extend KD than them figuring it out and winning a ring. To take it a step further, if they stick with and extend KD it is probably the last big piece they will be able to add next to Booker during his prime.

They aren’t trading KD tho unless he and Book want it to happen. As a suns fan I hope they can figure it out, somehow, but it’s highly unlikely.

I think the open minded way out of this is a Booker trade. I've mentioned it before, but I don't think KD asks out if Booker is moved. Especially with the likely haul Phoenix will get for trading him.

Houston in particular sounds good as they have control of BRK's draft future. Along with a number of players that fit with KD and Beal. Orlando is another very good choice if they decide to move him.

Slim! Suns aren’t trading Booker no matter how much it makes sense.i would give it a 5% chance KD gets traded man.
NYG
RealGM

Post#152 » by NYG » Sun May 5, 2024 1:24 pm

Nurkic, '31 1st and a future 2nd for RWIII and Nick Richards
Slim Charless
RealGM

Post#153 » by Slim Charless » Sun May 5, 2024 4:43 pm

jredsaz wrote:
Slim Charless wrote:
jredsaz wrote:

Slim! Suns aren’t trading Booker no matter how much it makes sense.i would give it a 5% chance KD gets traded man.

Probably right, but they need to do something. Firing Vogel won't fix things IMO.
jredsaz
General Manager
And1: 2,803

Post#154 » by jredsaz » Sun May 5, 2024 7:02 pm

Slim Charless wrote:
jredsaz wrote:
Slim Charless wrote:

Probably right, but they need to do something. Firing Vogel won't fix things IMO.

They do. Hopefully they can flip their two available picks into two rotation bigs like the Mavs did for PJ and Gafford. It’s just harder to do for the suns given their tradeable salary limitations.
Slim Charless
RealGM

Post#155 » by Slim Charless » Sun May 5, 2024 7:34 pm

jredsaz wrote:
Slim Charless wrote:
jredsaz wrote:

They do. Hopefully they can flip their two available picks into two rotation bigs like the Mavs did for PJ and Gafford. It’s just harder to do for the suns given their tradeable salary limitations.

I'd rather use those picks for players in the draft. Kolek would be great on our team. The last thing I want is more draft picks traded. We need youth. Badly.
Texas Chuck
Senior Mod - NBA TnT Forum
Senior Mod - NBA TnT Forum
And1: 89,725

Post#156 » by Texas Chuck » Sun May 5, 2024 7:45 pm

Slim Charless wrote:
jredsaz wrote:
Slim Charless wrote:

I'd rather use those picks for players in the draft. Kolek would be great on our team. The last thing I want is more draft picks traded. We need youth. Badly.

You need more guys who can play. Badly. The KD window is short(if its even still open, but you have to operate as if it is because they are pot-committed.) IT would be a nice bonus if those were young players, but counting on a rookie taken in the 20's to be ready to play a significant positive role is a huge gamble and one very unlikely to pay off.

Now its all complicated by the lack of matching salary. So the best bet is probably to split the baby-- go get a guy on the last year of his rookie deal that his current team doesn't want to invest another contract in, but has already shown to be a rotation worthy player. He will be cheap enough to match with Little and his existing team re-starts the rookie contract with 22.
ThunderBolt wrote:I’m going to let some of you in on a little secret I learned on realgm. If you don’t like a thread, not only do you not have to comment but you don’t even have to open it and read it. You’re welcome.
Slim Charless
RealGM

Post#157 » by Slim Charless » Sun May 5, 2024 8:00 pm

Texas Chuck wrote:
Slim Charless wrote:
jredsaz wrote:

You need more guys who can play. Badly. The KD window is short(if its even still open, but you have to operate as if it is because they are pot-committed.) IT would be a nice bonus if those were young players, but counting on a rookie taken in the 20's to be ready to play a significant positive role is a huge gamble and one very unlikely to pay off.

Now its all complicated by the lack of matching salary. So the best bet is probably to split the baby-- go get a guy on the last year of his rookie deal that his current team doesn't want to invest another contract in, but has already shown to be a rotation worthy player. He will be cheap enough to match with Little and his existing team re-starts the rookie contract with 22.

I'd rather move KD or Booker. Beal is a pipe dream so it's needs to 1 of those 2. Booker gets us more and Beal and KD fit unlike Beal and Booker.

If we're stuck with the 3 then move Nurk for youth (he just had his career best year) and draft size along with a pass 1st PG who can play some D.
NYG
RealGM

Post#158 » by NYG » Wed May 8, 2024 1:33 am

The Suns are kind of fascinating to me...

1. They intend to keep Beal/Booker/KD
2. That basically leaves Nurkic and Little as outgoing salary.
3. Little's low salary limits the return and not a lot of guys making less than him are worth 22nd Overall and '31 1st
4. Sending out Nurkic means you need a replacement center, but you can't take back more than Nurkic's salary in return so which replacement center can you get and also upgrade another position given the salary restrictions?

Jusuf Nurkic to Orlando
Cole Anthony and Nick Richards to Phoenix
2nd via Suns to Charlotte

Little, 22 Overall and '31 Unprotected 1st for Kessler?
Ell Curry
Head Coach
And1: 1,741

Post#159 » by Ell Curry » Wed May 8, 2024 3:02 am

NYG wrote:The Suns are kind of fascinating to me...

1. They intend to keep Beal/Booker/KD
2. That basically leaves Nurkic and Little as outgoing salary.
3. Little's low salary limits the return and not a lot of guys making less than him are worth 22nd Overall and '31 1st
4. Sending out Nurkic means you need a replacement center, but you can't take back more than Nurkic's salary in return so which replacement center can you get and also upgrade another position given the salary restrictions?

Jusuf Nurkic to Orlando
Cole Anthony and Nick Richards to Phoenix
2nd via Suns to Charlotte

Little, 22 Overall and '31 Unprotected 1st for Kessler?

I too am inexplicably high on Nick Richards despite Hornets' fans protestations, but I don't think Orlando would have any interest in Nurkic. Seems like a particularly bad fit there.

Maybe Nurkic for Schroeder opens up if the Nets trade for a legit starter at PG and lose or S+T Claxton somewhere, maybe as part of getting that PG?

Or it's just Nurkic and #22 for Richards, Micic, #42? Then I guess maybe Little, #31 (minor protections) for Kessler if the Jazz are down and you grab some defensive PG type like Kris Dunn in free agency if you can?

Kessler-KD-Booker-Beal-Micic
Richards-Allen-Dunn

and I guess hope that David Roddy or someone else can emerge or the right minimum guy can be a Derrick Jones Jr kinda revelation backing up KD and playing a little at the 3.

I don't think there's any positive Suns scenario without them figuring out what defensively talented player who sucks on offence can start hitting 3s like the Rockets did with Beverley or the Suns themselves did with P.J Tucker. I'd be looking hard at Americans in Europe who want to come back over, for sure.
Where's the D?
Ell Curry
Head Coach
And1: 1,741

Post#160 » by Ell Curry » Wed May 8, 2024 3:08 am

This thread is going to eventually be used as evidence when the Suns sign Tyus Jones to a one year minimum deal and it's later revealed that they gave him 40M in mortgages stock under a holding company with a corny name.
Where's the D?

Return to Trades and Transactions