Instant Reaction: What Do The Pelicans Do This Off-Season?

Moderators: Trader_Joe, loserX, Andre Roberstan, HartfordWhalers, BullyKing, Texas Chuck, MoneyTalks41890, Mamba4Goat, pacers33granger

Astaluego
Sophomore
And1: 111

Re: Instant Reaction: What Do The Pelicans Do This Off-Season? 

Post#41 » by Astaluego » Tue Apr 30, 2024 1:30 pm

Ingram for D.Murray...
Zion for Pistons pick if they land at 1 spot.

Reorganization around Murray/Hawkins/Herb/Murphy/Sarr
Old Mike Lorenzo
NYG
RealGM
And1: 2,663

Post#42 » by NYG » Tue Apr 30, 2024 2:01 pm

gswhoops wrote:
NYG wrote:
gswhoops wrote:I really don't see how you can have all three of CJ, Ingram, and Zion on the roster next year. It's pretty clear there's not enough shooting or defense around those three on the current iteration of this team. BI is the most logical one to trade but his value is at an all-time low after these playoffs and wanting a 30% max extension.

I think all 3 will be on the opening night roster.

I mean, you're probably right. But that means they're ok with just being an also-ran.

Yeah, not saying it is what I would do, but it is what I see them doing
lordjeff05
Analyst
And1: 770

Post#43 » by lordjeff05 » Tue Apr 30, 2024 2:50 pm

This season ended poorly but overall it was a decent year. Zion played 70 games, we won 49 games. I know there wasn’t a huge pop or playoff success but overall it was a year of progress.

This team won with great depth but our starting lineup and our clutch lineups were bad and that never bodes well for the playoffs.

The key problem from my perspective was lack of spacing in those lineups. Ingram and Zion don’t shoot enough 3s so you need a big that can shoot, defend and rebound. Larry and Jonas can each do one and half of those things. As a smaller but real issue, teams were able to pick on CJ some in the clutch and the playoffs.

The one lineup we ran for 5 minute but I LOVED was bi, Zion, Trey, herb and Larry. Completely switchable defensively with fewer rebounding issues. I would have really liked to have seen that lineup a bit in the playoffs especially against OKC.

The answer to those problems is to either trade BI, and start Trey or get a big that can really shoot it that teams will have to guard from 3.

I think conversations around trading Zion are silly. He had a great year and got injured on the 83rd game of the year.

My ideal off-season would be we’d trade BI for KAT and resign Naji. I’d trade Hawk. dys, two picks and BI understanding that Bi may need to go to another team for a different asset.

I think KAT would be the single most complimentary player to Zion in the league because he can play both as a play finisher from 3 or off of pick and rolls or he can play as a play initiator with dribble handoffs and passes out of the post. He’s the only guy who can both provide space and complimentary play creation that meshes with the way Zion plays.

KAT can also play and prefers the type of defensive scheme the Pels ran this year. You have a conversation with CJ that he may not be finishing games all the time and you prepare to limit his minutes in the playoff is.

Two other options I like are trading for Ayton or trading for Murray. I think Ayton is underrated now. He’s capable of playing strong defense and I think his pick and pop game can work well with Zion. If he gets that shot out to the 3 then it’s a wrap.

Murray could be a good piece next to Zion but I don’t love starting him next to CJ and I really think we need to create space for Trey in the starting lineup.

hate the Trae trades because he is undersized. Same for Garland even though he would be complimentary.

If we stand pat, I’d go after Jalen Smith, Hartenstein, Claxton .

If we have our pick I’d draft Filipowski, ware or Daron Holmes.
dms269
Forum Mod - Hawks
Forum Mod - Hawks
And1: 1,543

Post#44 » by dms269 » Tue Apr 30, 2024 3:05 pm

Astaluego wrote:Ingram for D.Murray...

Who are the Pelicans adding for a Ingram/Murray swap?
The moderator formerly known as uga_dawgs24
theBigLip
Forum Mod - Pistons
Forum Mod - Pistons
And1: 2,829

Post#45 » by theBigLip » Tue Apr 30, 2024 3:17 pm

Astaluego wrote:Ingram for D.Murray...

Pistons give up that first for sure! Need a PF. Lineup still needs some shooters but there would still be some cap space left to do that.
gswhoops
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 3,847

Post#46 » by gswhoops » Tue Apr 30, 2024 3:28 pm

Been toying with the idea of a Lauri to NO, Ingram to GS, picks/prospects to Utah type deal.
Billl
Assistant Coach
And1: 2,444

Post#47 » by Billl » Tue Apr 30, 2024 3:37 pm

I can't see NO paying Ingram what he's going to command on the open market. The fit with zion just isn't there. Not sure what they will actually do with him, but I think they should look to move him for some young talent/picks, not a "win now" guy. I know it seems like zion has been around forever, but the man is still only 23. You can be patient. The team isn't 1 piece away from contending, so just build organically.
mg
General Manager
And1: 4,054

Post#48 » by mg » Tue Apr 30, 2024 4:17 pm

gswhoops wrote:Been toying with the idea of a Lauri to NO, Ingram to GS, picks/prospects to Utah type deal.

Interesting idea but it's going to take a ton of picks to appease Ainge in that scenario. Right now they are using Lauri to help market the new hockey team that is moving to Utah for next season.

I think the easiest trade is to just deal Ingram + asset for a PG (Dejounte, Trae or Garland type). CJ gets moved to 6th man. They will likely need to replace Jonas which could potentially be done thru the draft. They are a team that could be drafting where someone like Edey and/or Missi is projected to be picked.
Colbinii
RealGM
And1: 20,171

Post#49 » by Colbinii » Tue Apr 30, 2024 7:13 pm

Billl wrote:I can't see NO paying Ingram what he's going to command on the open market. The fit with zion just isn't there. Not sure what they will actually do with him, but I think they should look to move him for some young talent/picks, not a "win now" guy. I know it seems like zion has been around forever, but the man is still only 23. You can be patient. The team isn't 1 piece away from contending, so just build organically.

New Orleans should definitely be going "win now". Win now doesn't mean you trade for a 36 year-old Durant, but it also doesn't mean you try and get worse. New Orleans, when healthy, is good, they just need the right players, and McCollum/Ingram aren't the right players.

They should use some pick(s) to put the right pieces around Zion/Nance/Jones/Daniels/Murphy III/Hawkins/Alvarado/Marshall.

This means getting a better Center who can protect the rim to a degree and/or switch and get a true Point Guard who can initiate sets.
tsherkin wrote:Locked due to absence of adult conversation.

penbeast0 wrote:Guys, if you don't have anything to say, don't post.

Circa 2018
E-Balla wrote:LeBron is Jeff George.

Circa 2022
G35 wrote:Lebron is not that far off from WB in trade value.
Texas Chuck
Senior Mod - NBA TnT Forum
And1: 89,655

Post#50 » by Texas Chuck » Tue Apr 30, 2024 7:19 pm

If Spida doesn't extend I'm calling and offering BI plus lots of picks for him. Then having pulled that off, I'm sitting down with CJ and saying we need you to be our 6th man. If he balks then I'm moving him for some overpaid big. But I think you have to try one more time with Zion and those wings and get them a perimeter scorer and a better defensive big.
ThunderBolt wrote:I’m going to let some of you in on a little secret I learned on realgm. If you don’t like a thread, not only do you not have to comment but you don’t even have to open it and read it. You’re welcome.
Xman
Assistant Coach
And1: 368

Post#51 » by Xman » Tue Apr 30, 2024 7:26 pm

consolidate (since CLE might need to move Mitchell):

NO - gets Mitchell

CLE gets - TMurphy, HJones, Hawkins, #17, #21

NO:
pg - CJ, Alvarado
sg - Mitchell, DDaniels
sf - Ingram, Naji
pf - Zion, Nance
c - JVal
- scary firepower if all healthy at once - even half healthy.

CLE: (insert picks #17, #20, #21)
Garland, Hawkins
LeVert, Strus
TMurphy, HJones
Mobley
Allen
Texas Chuck
And1: 89,655

Post#52 » by Texas Chuck » Tue Apr 30, 2024 7:31 pm

Xman wrote:consolidate (since CLE might need to move Mitchell):

NO - gets Mitchell

CLE gets - TMurphy, HJones, Hawkins, #17, #21

New Orleans should not give up three wings like this. Defensively they are now tragic on paper. Nope, use BI and flood them with picks. Maybe you have to sacrifice one player, but the idea of trading for Mitchell is to compete now. Hard to do that with your wings gone and playing 4 bad defenders and a center.
ThunderBolt wrote:I’m going to let some of you in on a little secret I learned on realgm. If you don’t like a thread, not only do you not have to comment but you don’t even have to open it and read it. You’re welcome.
Billl
Assistant Coach
And1: 2,444

Post#53 » by Billl » Tue Apr 30, 2024 7:54 pm

Colbinii wrote:
Billl wrote:I can't see NO paying Ingram what he's going to command on the open market. The fit with zion just isn't there. Not sure what they will actually do with him, but I think they should look to move him for some young talent/picks, not a "win now" guy. I know it seems like zion has been around forever, but the man is still only 23. You can be patient. The team isn't 1 piece away from contending, so just build organically.

New Orleans should definitely be going "win now". Win now doesn't mean you trade for a 36 year-old Durant, but it also doesn't mean you try and get worse. New Orleans, when healthy, is good, they just need the right players, and McCollum/Ingram aren't the right players.

They should use some pick(s) to put the right pieces around Zion/Nance/Jones/Daniels/Murphy III/Hawkins/Alvarado/Marshall.

This means getting a better Center who can protect the rim to a degree and/or switch and get a true Point Guard who can initiate sets.

They are a play in team. I wouldn't call that "good". Their best player is 23, so using picks or anything similar to "win-now" would be incredibly foolish. They don't need to burn it down or anything, but they should be adding additional pieces that fit better with a zion and that will improve through his timeline.
Colbinii
RealGM
And1: 20,171

Post#54 » by Colbinii » Tue Apr 30, 2024 8:04 pm

Billl wrote:
Colbinii wrote:

They are a play in team. I wouldn't call that "good". Their best player is 23, so using picks or anything similar to "win-now" would be incredibly foolish. They don't need to burn it down or anything, but they should be adding additional pieces that fit better with a zion and that will improve through his timeline.

Yes, but also they don't need to be adding low-impact players in the draft process who won't have any impact on winning during the next 2-3 years.

Healthy Pelicans are a good team. Sacramento/Golden State/Lakers were all good teams this year, like New Orleans. The West is loaded with good teams.

This isn't the Eastern Conference we are talking about here.
tsherkin wrote:Locked due to absence of adult conversation.

penbeast0 wrote:Guys, if you don't have anything to say, don't post.

Circa 2018
E-Balla wrote:LeBron is Jeff George.

Circa 2022
G35 wrote:Lebron is not that far off from WB in trade value.
lordjeff05
Analyst
And1: 770

Post#55 » by lordjeff05 » Tue Apr 30, 2024 8:59 pm

Billl wrote:
Colbinii wrote:

They won 49 games. That’s good enough for the 3 seed if they are in the East or 3rd in the west part year. I agree on fit though
Jon1798
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,478

Post#56 » by Jon1798 » Tue Apr 30, 2024 9:28 pm

lordjeff05 wrote:
Billl wrote:
Colbinii wrote:

They won 49 games. That’s good enough for the 3 seed if they are in the East or 3rd in the west part year. I agree on fit though

And while technically in play in, they were tied for 6th in the west and two games from 4th. With a good amount of missed games.

Let’s please focus on what’s best for the Pelicans and not other teams. They aren’t trading Zion. Herb and Trey are very likely core pieces here. Because of contractual implications and overall fit, I think it’s definitely possible BI is available so they can pay and start Trey. BI is a 26 y/o, 6’8 SF that went 23, 6 and 5 per 36 on 49% from the field, last year he was 26, 6 and 6 and really has been nearly the same in each of his 5 seasons in NO. He’s got an injured knee right now that he tried to play through. And I do think his injury history and impending contract will hurt his value. But hurt his value making him available. Otherwise there’s no way a guy like this would hit the market.

A real point guard is definitely what I would like to see on this team. Someone that can break down a defense.
"This post wants out of New Orleans" - Woj
Ell Curry
Head Coach
And1: 1,738

Post#57 » by Ell Curry » Tue Apr 30, 2024 9:36 pm

Skybox wrote:I wonder if Jarrett Allen for Ingram is remotely possible- a scoring SF is what CLE lacks and they could bet on Mobley at C. Allen has been great, but I’d imagine Mobley would be the long-term bet.

Maybe like this:

Pels - Allen, Levert
Jazz - Ingram
Cavs - Collins, Dyson Daniels, Jazz lotto protected 1st

and then the Cavs deal Mitchell somewhere for picks/young guys and look to compete in 2-3 years, so for example Herro and Jacquez:

Bigs: Mobley, Collins
Wings: Jacquez, Okoro
Guards: Garland, Daniels, Herro

as a top 7 looks fairly balanced.

And the Pels then gotta find a PG, I guess hope Zion can sell Tyus Jones on taking the MLE and getting a starting job out of it:

Allen-Nance
Zion-Herb
Murphy-Herb
Hawkins-Levert
Tyus-McCollum

and then start hunting for a CJ + Picks trade for a quality guard, or a Levert + picks trade for say Caruso.
Where's the D?
theBigLip
Forum Mod - Pistons
Forum Mod - Pistons
And1: 2,829

Post#58 » by theBigLip » Tue Apr 30, 2024 9:49 pm

Jon1798 wrote:
lordjeff05 wrote:
Billl wrote:

And while technically in play in, they were tied for 6th in the west and two games from 4th. With a good amount of missed games.

Let’s please focus on what’s best for the Pelicans and not other teams. They aren’t trading Zion. Herb and Trey are very likely core pieces here. Because of contractual implications and overall fit, I think it’s definitely possible BI is available so they can pay and start Trey. BI is a 26 y/o, 6’8 SF that went 23, 6 and 5 per 36 on 49% from the field, last year he was 26, 6 and 6 and really has been nearly the same in each of his 5 seasons in NO. He’s got an injured knee right now that he tried to play through. And I do think his injury history and impending contract will hurt his value. But hurt his value making him available. Otherwise there’s no way a guy like this would hit the market.

A real point guard is definitely what I would like to see on this team. Someone that can break down a defense.

But those are the guys the Pistons want :lol:

Seriously, totally agree that BI should be the one traded.
Jon1798
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,478

Post#59 » by Jon1798 » Tue Apr 30, 2024 9:57 pm

theBigLip wrote:
Jon1798 wrote:
lordjeff05 wrote:

But those are the guys the Pistons want :lol:

Seriously, totally agree that BI should be the one traded.

Haha, I get it. Pels fans have discussed the Pistons when talking BI. Generally focused on Duran and to a lesser extent Ivey. But Ivey isn’t close to a central piece IMO. Cade assumingly off the table, picks and cap flexibility being added benefits. Not sure what the Pistons plan to do moving forward.
"This post wants out of New Orleans" - Woj
toooskies
Analyst
And1: 1,719

Post#60 » by toooskies » Tue Apr 30, 2024 11:10 pm

Ell Curry wrote:
Skybox wrote:I wonder if Jarrett Allen for Ingram is remotely possible- a scoring SF is what CLE lacks and they could bet on Mobley at C. Allen has been great, but I’d imagine Mobley would be the long-term bet.

Maybe like this:

Pels - Allen, Levert
Jazz - Ingram
Cavs - Collins, Dyson Daniels, Jazz lotto protected 1st

and then the Cavs deal Mitchell somewhere for picks/young guys and look to compete in 2-3 years, so for example Herro and Jacquez:

Bigs: Mobley, Collins
Wings: Jacquez, Okoro
Guards: Garland, Daniels, Herro

as a top 7 looks fairly balanced.

And the Pels then gotta find a PG, I guess hope Zion can sell Tyus Jones on taking the MLE and getting a starting job out of it:

Allen-Nance
Zion-Herb
Murphy-Herb
Hawkins-Levert
Tyus-McCollum

and then start hunting for a CJ + Picks trade for a quality guard, or a Levert + picks trade for say Caruso.

This takes the Cavs from a 50 win team to a 30 win team and they don't even have their draft pick next year. No thanks.

I don't see a world where the Cavs take Ingram for Mitchell, either. Ingram is more likely to depart in free agency and doesn't get up enough threes to fit around Mobley/Allen.

The Pelicans' most important task this year is to prepare for when they need to pay Murphy. They can't afford to re-up Ingram and pay Murphy with Zion and McCollum on the books, let alone retain role players, so they need to wisely cut salary. (McCollum to the Nets for Ben Simmons+? McCollum into Philly or Orlando cap space?)

Return to Trades and Transactions