Instant Reaction: What Do The Pelicans Do This Off-Season?

Moderators: Trader_Joe, loserX, Andre Roberstan, HartfordWhalers, BullyKing, Texas Chuck, MoneyTalks41890, Mamba4Goat, pacers33granger

theBigLip
Forum Mod - Pistons
Forum Mod - Pistons
And1: 2,829

Re: Instant Reaction: What Do The Pelicans Do This Off-Season? 

Post#61 » by theBigLip » Tue Apr 30, 2024 11:33 pm

Jon1798 wrote:
theBigLip wrote:
Jon1798 wrote:
And while technically in play in, they were tied for 6th in the west and two games from 4th. With a good amount of missed games.

Let’s please focus on what’s best for the Pelicans and not other teams. They aren’t trading Zion. Herb and Trey are very likely core pieces here. Because of contractual implications and overall fit, I think it’s definitely possible BI is available so they can pay and start Trey. BI is a 26 y/o, 6’8 SF that went 23, 6 and 5 per 36 on 49% from the field, last year he was 26, 6 and 6 and really has been nearly the same in each of his 5 seasons in NO. He’s got an injured knee right now that he tried to play through. And I do think his injury history and impending contract will hurt his value. But hurt his value making him available. Otherwise there’s no way a guy like this would hit the market.

A real point guard is definitely what I would like to see on this team. Someone that can break down a defense.

But those are the guys the Pistons want :lol:

Seriously, totally agree that BI should be the one traded.

Haha, I get it. Pels fans have discussed the Pistons when talking BI. Generally focused on Duran and to a lesser extent Ivey. But Ivey isn’t close to a central piece IMO. Cade assumingly off the table, picks and cap flexibility being added benefits. Not sure what the Pistons plan to do moving forward.

I think Ivey will get better. He’s an exceptional athlete, but like all rookies, need to work on their game.

Pistons plan probably includes taking a look at BI. They have $70M+ in cap space, so a little less after Fontecchio’s well deserved extension. So they should be able to get 2-3 legit players, hopefully two way players that can shoot threes. And they can’t do something stupid and give it to Trae or Lavine.
HadAnEffectHere
Sixth Man
And1: 845

Post#62 » by HadAnEffectHere » Tue Apr 30, 2024 11:43 pm

The major concern with Ivey is:

-He's played two years in the NBA
-He's played two years in college (so not a OAD guy)
-His mom is a basketball coach

... And yet he might be the lowest BBIQ PG in the NBA.

You're basically banking that he has a JaVale McGee career arc at this point and improves his BBIQ to like a 4/10?
Billl
Assistant Coach
And1: 2,444

Post#63 » by Billl » Tue Apr 30, 2024 11:46 pm

lordjeff05 wrote:
Billl wrote:
Colbinii wrote:
New Orleans should definitely be going "win now". Win now doesn't mean you trade for a 36 year-old Durant, but it also doesn't mean you try and get worse. New Orleans, when healthy, is good, they just need the right players, and McCollum/Ingram aren't the right players.

They should use some pick(s) to put the right pieces around Zion/Nance/Jones/Daniels/Murphy III/Hawkins/Alvarado/Marshall.

This means getting a better Center who can protect the rim to a degree and/or switch and get a true Point Guard who can initiate sets.

They are a play in team. I wouldn't call that "good". Their best player is 23, so using picks or anything similar to "win-now" would be incredibly foolish. They don't need to burn it down or anything, but they should be adding additional pieces that fit better with a zion and that will improve through his timeline.

They won 49 games. That’s good enough for the 3 seed if they are in the East or 3rd in the west part year. I agree on fit though

Well, unless you plan on picking up the entire city and plopping it down next to boston, they are going to have to deal with playing in the west. It doesn't matter where they would be seeded in the east.

They are a nice team with a young star and some really nice young players who are good now and have the potential to be better. Ingram clearly doesn't fit, so they should try to flip him for some more, young pieces or picks that might compliment zion better. They have enough vets to be competative during that run so the young guys build good habits. Then, 2 years from now, those old vets are coming off the cap and they will have zion coming into his prime, some really nice supporting young guys around him, and room to try to bring in another star level guy. That's a much better future path than trying to flip ingram and picks for a second tier all-star in that 30 yr old range.
Colbinii
RealGM
And1: 20,171

Post#64 » by Colbinii » Tue Apr 30, 2024 11:55 pm

Billl wrote:That's a much better future path than trying to flip ingram and picks for a second tier all-star in that 30 yr old range.

You say this like people said this.

But, what's wrong with adding a player with 3-4 prime years left [An age 30 player could very well be in their prime for another 4-6 years]?
tsherkin wrote:Locked due to absence of adult conversation.

penbeast0 wrote:Guys, if you don't have anything to say, don't post.

Circa 2018
E-Balla wrote:LeBron is Jeff George.

Circa 2022
G35 wrote:Lebron is not that far off from WB in trade value.
Ell Curry
Head Coach
And1: 1,738

Post#65 » by Ell Curry » Wed May 1, 2024 12:37 am

toooskies wrote:This takes the Cavs from a 50 win team to a 30 win team and they don't even have their draft pick next year. No thanks.

I don't see a world where the Cavs take Ingram for Mitchell, either. Ingram is more likely to depart in free agency and doesn't get up enough threes to fit around Mobley/Allen.

The Pelicans' most important task this year is to prepare for when they need to pay Murphy. They can't afford to re-up Ingram and pay Murphy with Zion and McCollum on the books, let alone retain role players, so they need to wisely cut salary. (McCollum to the Nets for Ben Simmons+? McCollum into Philly or Orlando cap space?)

Cavs are in an awkward place if they have to deal Mitchell.

Won't tank obviously, but probably can't parlay a Mitchell trade into competing. I think the sheer abundance of promising SGs in the 2025 draft means that the ideal Mitchell trade probably brings back a fairly young SF on a solid deal, a pick in 2025 that should be in the lottery or close to, and then any future picks that can maybe be used to improve that 2025 pick and get into the top 10 or so and grab an SG they like.
Where's the D?
Billl
Assistant Coach
And1: 2,444

Post#66 » by Billl » Wed May 1, 2024 1:23 am

Colbinii wrote:
Billl wrote:That's a much better future path than trying to flip ingram and picks for a second tier all-star in that 30 yr old range.

You say this like people said this.

But, what's wrong with adding a player with 3-4 prime years left [An age 30 player could very well be in their prime for another 4-6 years]?

Well, in this thread, we had ingram for lavine. Ingram and picks for murray, ingram for allen , ingram and picks for mitchell. IMO, the pels aren't in a position to make an all in move like that. They need several years for all their young players to grow together and hit their primes. The number of 23 yr olds that won a championship as the teams best player is vanishingly small, so you just want to position yourself to make a real run when that window opens. You want to set yourself up like OKC has with a rising star, some really nice young secondary guys, and a bunch of assets they can use to bring in that final piece to pair with Shai as he heads into his prime. You don't want to get stuck in that dallas limbo where you used a bunch of assets to bring in zinger to early and then kyrie.
giannis and 1
Starter
And1: 1,119

Post#67 » by giannis and 1 » Wed May 1, 2024 7:07 am

HadAnEffectHere wrote:Zion was 90% as good as Giannis by the end of the year, giving up on him at this moment would be pretty weird.

More like 70%
still learning the game

Matches Malone wrote:How did NBA fandom get to the point that it's more fun to thirst over players on other teams than to care more about your own team and players...
Wolveswin
Head Coach
And1: 2,554

Post#68 » by Wolveswin » Wed May 1, 2024 7:24 am

lordjeff05 wrote:My ideal off-season would be we’d trade BI for KAT and resign Naji. I’d trade Hawk. dys, two picks and BI understanding that Bi may need to go to another team for a different asset.

I think KAT would be the single most complimentary player to Zion in the league because he can play both as a play finisher from 3 or off of pick and rolls or he can play as a play initiator with dribble handoffs and passes out of the post. He’s the only guy who can both provide space and complimentary play creation that meshes with the way Zion plays.

KAT can also play and prefers the type of defensive scheme the Pels ran this year. You have a conversation with CJ that he may not be finishing games all the time and you prepare to limit his minutes in the playoff is.

Wolves trading Towns to Pels is about as full stop no go as it can get. Wolves aren’t trading Towns to another Western conference team who won 49 games and will be competing directly against them. The tax on that would be value Pels wouldn’t be willing to spend. And that trade including tax doesn’t start with Ingram to Wolves. Wolves aren’t trading locked in Towns to a Western conference competitor, for an expiring Ingram, who can walk leaving Wolves upgrading said team while holding the bag.
Skybox
RealGM
And1: 5,781

Post#69 » by Skybox » Wed May 1, 2024 10:51 am

Ell Curry wrote:
Skybox wrote:I wonder if Jarrett Allen for Ingram is remotely possible- a scoring SF is what CLE lacks and they could bet on Mobley at C. Allen has been great, but I’d imagine Mobley would be the long-term bet.

Maybe like this:

Pels - Allen, Levert
Jazz - Ingram
Cavs - Collins, Dyson Daniels, Jazz lotto protected 1st

Not sure why UTAs here…I figure CLE could use Ingram
lordjeff05
Analyst
And1: 770

Post#70 » by lordjeff05 » Wed May 1, 2024 11:45 am

Billl wrote:
lordjeff05 wrote:
Billl wrote:
They are a play in team. I wouldn't call that "good". Their best player is 23, so using picks or anything similar to "win-now" would be incredibly foolish. They don't need to burn it down or anything, but they should be adding additional pieces that fit better with a zion and that will improve through his timeline.

They won 49 games. That’s good enough for the 3 seed if they are in the East or 3rd in the west part year. I agree on fit though

Well, unless you plan on picking up the entire city and plopping it down next to boston, they are going to have to deal with playing in the west. It doesn't matter where they would be seeded in the east.

They are a nice team with a young star and some really nice young players who are good now and have the potential to be better. Ingram clearly doesn't fit, so they should try to flip him for some more, young pieces or picks that might compliment zion better. They have enough vets to be competative during that run so the young guys build good habits. Then, 2 years from now, those old vets are coming off the cap and they will have zion coming into his prime, some really nice supporting young guys around him, and room to try to bring in another star level guy. That's a much better future path than trying to flip ingram and picks for a second tier all-star in that 30 yr old range.

I don’t think we are all that far apart in opinions here.

Ps 49 wins would also have gotten you 3rd in the West last year. West is gonna be a bloodbath next year and I think it will play out similar to the 22-23 season with a lot of teams in the high 40s. Depth and health will be crucial and then it will be a blank slate come playoff time where your 2 seed can beat your 7 seed.

I think the Pels want to make moves but it won’t be for guys like Dame or Jimmy who are well in to their 30’s (and wouldn’t want to come to New Orleans anyway). That being said, the right guy in their mid to late 20/ could be targets. Towns is 28 Lauri is 26. dejounte Murray is 27. That’s the range of interest here.
lordjeff05
Analyst
And1: 770

Post#71 » by lordjeff05 » Wed May 1, 2024 11:50 am

Wolveswin wrote:
lordjeff05 wrote:My ideal off-season would be we’d trade BI for KAT and resign Naji. I’d trade Hawk. dys, two picks and BI understanding that Bi may need to go to another team for a different asset.

I think KAT would be the single most complimentary player to Zion in the league because he can play both as a play finisher from 3 or off of pick and rolls or he can play as a play initiator with dribble handoffs and passes out of the post. He’s the only guy who can both provide space and complimentary play creation that meshes with the way Zion plays.

KAT can also play and prefers the type of defensive scheme the Pels ran this year. You have a conversation with CJ that he may not be finishing games all the time and you prepare to limit his minutes in the playoff is.

Wolves trading Towns to Pels is about as full stop no go as it can get. Wolves aren’t trading Towns to another Western conference team who won 49 games and will be competing directly against them. The tax on that would be value Pels wouldn’t be willing to spend. And that trade including tax doesn’t start with Ingram to Wolves. Wolves aren’t trading locked in Towns to a Western conference competitor, for an expiring Ingram, who can walk leaving Wolves upgrading said team while holding the bag.

I don’t think it’s likely but I do think something like this would probably have BI going to another team. It’s even less likely given the sweep of Phoenix but I’m still not convinced Towns stays because of the massive tax implications and that I don’t think this role truly maximizes his skill set. I think they can get what they need from that spot for cheaper and may not have a choice. And the Pels are one of the teams with assets who actually would or should want him.
JKiddy
Bench Warmer
And1: 329

Post#72 » by JKiddy » Wed May 1, 2024 5:48 pm

esvl wrote:Trade Zion for Claxton (snt) and go full steam with mobility, versatility, and shooting around Ingram, Jones and Murphy.

This might happen. But, BK fans would definitely be worried of Zion's injury history and off the court issues.
dakomish23
Forum Mod - Knicks
Forum Mod - Knicks
And1: 45,939

Post#73 » by dakomish23 » Wed May 1, 2024 5:59 pm

I'd really look at the Ingram trade market. I'd give bigger roles to Murphy & Jones next year
:lol: :lol: :lol:

Spoiler:
https://forums.realgm.com/boards/viewtopic.php?f=24&t=1592147&start=1720#p57345128

Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter

Jimmit79 wrote:Yea RJ played well he was definitely the x factor

#FreeJimmit
esvl
Bench Warmer
And1: 389

Post#74 » by esvl » Wed May 1, 2024 6:51 pm

JKiddy wrote:
esvl wrote:Trade Zion for Claxton (snt) and go full steam with mobility, versatility, and shooting around Ingram, Jones and Murphy.

This might happen. But, BK fans would definitely be worried of Zion's injury history and off the court issues.

I expect them to hardly resist this idea
BlazersBroncos
RealGM
And1: 7,980

Post#75 » by BlazersBroncos » Wed May 1, 2024 7:26 pm

Zion for Claxton is 100% not happening.

They need to, and I think they will, move BI.

I like something like this

TRADE 1

Brandon Ingram + 17 for Dejounte Murray

TRADE 2

PDX OUT - Anfernee Simons, Dupo Reath
PDX IN - Larry Nance JR, Dyson Daniels, 2025 DEN FRP, pick?

ORL OUT - Wendell Carter JR, 2025 DEN FRP
ORL IN - Anfernee Simons

NO OUT - Larry Nance JR, Dyson Daniels, pick?
NO IN - Wendell Carter JR, Duop Reath

G - Dejounte Murray / Jose Alvarado
F - CJ McCollum / Jordan Hawkins
F - Herb Jones / Tre Murphy
F - Zion Williamson / Tre Murphy
C - Wendell Carter JR / Duop Reath
drosestruts
General Manager
And1: 3,404

Post#76 » by drosestruts » Wed May 1, 2024 7:58 pm

I think one thing we're seeing now it just how good/competitive this current era is. This Pelicans team, on paper, is really good. In a previous decade they'd be a contender.

I look at my own Bulls and think - as there ever been a team that had a guy come in 2nd for MIP, a guy come in 2nd for Cutch POY, and a guy who is likely to be 1st or 2nd team all-defense and not make the playoffs?

I feel similar ways about the Pelicans. I like a majority of their players. Despite how good many are individually it's not leading to success on the court as a team.

There's many teams in this boat.

Lakers might have two guys make All-NBA teams and they won one playoff game and were a play-in team. The Heat were in the Finals a year ago and are now a first round exit. The Suns clearly have talent on their roster but it's not working. Atlanta is another example. Brooklyn was supposed to be a young team on the rise and have taken a step back from last season.

I almost feel like all these teams just need to collude together to make some mega trade to better balance all of each other out, but I won't go there with this post.

With this post I'll just propose a trade between New Orleans and Atlanta

New Orleans in: Trae Young, Clint Capela, Saddiq Ney (S&T ~$10m a year)

Atlanta in: Brandon Ingram, CJ McCollum, and Jordan Hawkins

Pelicans:

Young/Alvarado
Murphy/Daniels
Jones/Bey
Zion/Liddell/Robinson-Earl
Capela/Nance

Bringing in Young who can any year lead the league in assists changes the dynamic of New Orleans drastically. Capela works as a stop-gap center who's familiar with young and doesn't add long-term money. The Murphy-Jones-Zion trio could work great with Young.

Hawks:

Murray/Bufkin
McCollum/Hawkins/Matthews
Ingram/Bogdanovic/Griffin
Johnson/Hunter
Okongqu/Fernando

Hawks hand the keys over to Murray and reshape their wings to better compliment him with McCollum and Ingram.
jayjaysee
King of the Trade Board
And1: 5,636

Post#77 » by jayjaysee » Wed May 1, 2024 8:33 pm

In the Star for star base..

Lauri, Moody, Looney to NOP
Ingram to Golden State
Payton, Daniels, Kuminga, 2024 NOP first, 2025 GSW first first to Utah

TJD/Dray/Wiggins/Santos/Ingram/Podz/Curry with about 32 million for the rest of roster, believe they’d be hard capped at first apron? Meh
gswhoops
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 3,847

Post#78 » by gswhoops » Wed May 1, 2024 9:04 pm

jayjaysee wrote:In the Star for star base..

Lauri, Moody, Looney to NOP
Ingram to Golden State
Payton, Daniels, Kuminga, 2024 NOP first, 2025 GSW first first to Utah

TJD/Dray/Wiggins/Santos/Ingram/Podz/Curry with about 32 million for the rest of roster, believe they’d be hard capped at first apron? Meh

I was toying around with something similar earlier:

GSW in: Brandon Ingram, Maxi Kleber
GSW out: Andrew Wiggins, Gary Payton II, Jonathan Kuminga, 2025 1st round pick

NOP in: Lauri Markkanen, Tim Hardaway Jr.
NOP out: Brandon Ingram, 2025 1st, 2027 1st

DAL in: Andrew Wiggins
DAL out: Tim Hardaway Jr., Maxi Kleber

UTA in: Gary Payton II, Jonathan Kuminga, GSW 2025 1st, NOP 2025 1st, NOP 2027 1st
UTA out: Lauri Markkanen
dms269
Forum Mod - Hawks
Forum Mod - Hawks
And1: 1,543

Post#79 » by dms269 » Wed May 1, 2024 9:10 pm

drosestruts wrote:With this post I'll just propose a trade between New Orleans and Atlanta

New Orleans in: Trae Young, Clint Capela, Saddiq Ney (S&T ~$10m a year)

Atlanta in: Brandon Ingram, CJ McCollum, and Jordan Hawkins

Hawks:

Murray/Bufkin
Johnson/Hunter
Okongqu/Fernando

Hawks hand the keys over to Murray and reshape their wings to better compliment him with McCollum and Ingram.

If Trae's value is this low then they are likely keeping him.
The moderator formerly known as uga_dawgs24
jayu70
RealGM
And1: 11,983

Post#80 » by jayu70 » Wed May 1, 2024 9:43 pm

drosestruts wrote:
Hawks:

Murray/Bufkin
Johnson/Hunter
Okongqu/Fernando

This is a team with not much upside. I'm also not interested in 'turning the keys over to Murray'
This feels like a Joe Johnson Hawks type of team. Going nowhere fast.

Return to Trades and Transactions