Instant Reaction: What Do The Lakers Do This Off-Season?

Moderators: Trader_Joe, loserX, Andre Roberstan, HartfordWhalers, BullyKing, Texas Chuck, MoneyTalks41890, Mamba4Goat, pacers33granger

LightTheBeam
RealGM
And1: 10,619

Re: Instant Reaction: What Do The Lakers Do This Off-Season? 

Post#41 » by LightTheBeam » Tue Apr 30, 2024 7:29 pm

Colbinii wrote:
LightTheBeam wrote:
Colbinii wrote:
Ran its course?

The Lakers were the 2nd best post-season team last year and are likely the 4th/5th best playoff team this season.

There is no reason to think they can't make some minor adjustments and be a title contender next year, just as they were this year and last year.

I disagree with this. Think they would have lost to any of the top 5 teams in the West this year pretty easily.

Easily? They barely lost to Denver and were fingertips away from being up 3-2 after 5 games, lol.

I can't see the Kawhi-less Clippers having any luck against this Lakers team nor do I think OKC or Dallas would be clear favorites over the Lakers.

Denver seemed to take this as a pre-season series and won all 4 games playing half a quarter (while Lakers clearly had ref help at minimum 2 of the games). That's just my opinion of it.

That isn't true. Denver tried, Lakers defense was excellent and the Lakers played Denver to a stand-still in 4 of the games.

Last year they had a very fortunate path with Memphis being hurt and JA crap + Kings losing game 7 to Warriors (Kings 7/8 against Lakers last 2 years). And by time they ran into a real team they got swept.

Okay, so who was the real team? Denver? Denver didn't play a single real team last post-season. They played Reid/McDaniels less Wolves with injured Towns/Gobert, they played an injured Suns team and then this Lakers team and Miami who wasn't hot from 3.

So Denver wasn't a real team either last year since they didn't play any "real teams", right? Or do you only use stipulations when you assess the Lakers?

Lol, it's okay for us to have differing opinions. What I saw was Denver playing some very unserious basketball, turning it on for 6 minutes and beating the Lakers. Seemed Twitter agreed with me as story through first 3 games was Mike trolling with some very weird game plans. And again I've said over and over, I don't see the Lakers health holding up the way it did this year.

Denver has now beat the Lakers 12 of the last 13 games they've played? To get through the west you have to go through Denver, and call it matchups or whatever, I don't have the current LAL team coming close to doing that.

And your opinion is that LAC/Dallas doesn't beat LAL, I disagree. I think that Dallas is much better than them post deadline, and that LAC even without Kawhi would favor LAC.

It's fine to think LAL can tinker a bit, hope they stay fully healthy again and maybe they figure Denvers recipe to beat them. But I think another year aged from LBJ/AD, less health, this was their best chance and they lost in 5 games.
Fo-Real
General Manager
And1: 4,930

Post#42 » by Fo-Real » Tue Apr 30, 2024 7:54 pm

gswhoops wrote:Hasn't LeBron been on record that he isn't going to take a pay cut/he feels obligated to use his unique position in the league to protect other players from the expectation that they take pay cuts to "help win"?

Lebron and Klutch will not be taking a pay cut.
R-DAWG
RealGM
And1: 5,042

Post#43 » by R-DAWG » Tue Apr 30, 2024 8:08 pm

Texas Chuck wrote:We really need to stop just posting wild narratives. If this is your thing the General Board loves you. Go be a star there. But saying things like an entire team(the defending champs no less) aren't trying just because they didn't win every game by 40 like you irrationally insist they do is just trolling. And derailing. And its every thread at this point with these hot takes.

Simmer them down, or seriously relocate to a board where that is the vibe. We are going for serious discussions please.

The Knicks were not a bad team from 2001-2021, they just weren't trying :wink:
Karmaloop
General Manager
And1: 1,494

Post#44 » by Karmaloop » Tue Apr 30, 2024 10:26 pm

Ron Swanson wrote:I'll second that idea. They do seem like one of the few teams that makes sense as a Beal destination. Phoenix needs depth and Beal/Lebron/AD is more of an ideal roster construction for your best 3 guys (guard/wing/big). Then use whatever assets they can scrap together for a 3&D guard/wing trade. Something like the roster below would be a realistic, best-case-scenario offseason:

Bradley Beal is absolutely not the solution. As much flak as Anthony Davis gets for being "injury prone", Bradley Beal has averaged 52 GP over the last 5 seasons, and he's never played in 60+ games more than once over that period. He's due $160M over the next 3 seasons, and he's got a NTC. Unless he's willing to give up that NTC and Phoenix is offering up incentive to take on his contract, I'll pass.
Dthrill55
Ballboy
And1: 7

Post#45 » by Dthrill55 » Tue Apr 30, 2024 10:34 pm

S&T LeBron
dakomish23
Forum Mod - Knicks
Forum Mod - Knicks
And1: 45,939

Post#46 » by dakomish23 » Wed May 1, 2024 6:03 pm

Is Durant any way a possible trade target while keeping Lebron and AD
:lol: :lol: :lol:

Spoiler:
https://forums.realgm.com/boards/viewtopic.php?f=24&t=1592147&start=1720#p57345128

Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter

Jimmit79 wrote:Yea RJ played well he was definitely the x factor

#FreeJimmit
gswhoops
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 3,847

Post#47 » by gswhoops » Wed May 1, 2024 6:38 pm

dakomish23 wrote:Is Durant any way a possible trade target while keeping Lebron and AD

In a word, no.
TimeisIllmatic
Sixth Man
And1: 321

Post#48 » by TimeisIllmatic » Wed May 1, 2024 6:54 pm

In a perfect world, blow it up. Realistically, I think they will aim high but once they realize they won't be able to get Mitchell or Trae, I think they settle with DJM.
NYG
RealGM
And1: 2,663

Post#49 » by NYG » Thu May 2, 2024 1:39 am

TimeisIllmatic wrote:In a perfect world, blow it up. Realistically, I think they will aim high but once they realize they won't be able to get Mitchell or Trae, I think they settle with DJM.

Problem is... there would need to be a 3rd team because all the Lakers can offer is picks
NYG
RealGM

Post#50 » by NYG » Thu May 2, 2024 1:40 am

What is the Lakers biggest need?
kds92
Pro Prospect
And1: 702

Post#51 » by kds92 » Thu May 2, 2024 2:28 am

NYG wrote:What is the Lakers biggest need?

1. A real big man (to eat up minutes at the center spot and allow the Lakers to play big when needed - WCJ could be ideal)

2. True two-way players (DLO, Rui, and even Reaves are offense only while Vando and Vincent are defense only)

3. Speed/athleticism on the perimeter (backcourt is really slow - can't get penetration on offense and get beaten defensively)
Dr Aki
RealGM
And1: 29,439

Post#52 » by Dr Aki » Thu May 2, 2024 2:50 am

kds92 wrote:
NYG wrote:What is the Lakers biggest need?

1. A real big man (to eat up minutes at the center spot and allow the Lakers to play big when needed - WCJ could be ideal)

2. True two-way players (DLO, Rui, and even Reaves are offense only while Vando and Vincent are defense only)

3. Speed/athleticism on the perimeter (backcourt is really slow - can't get penetration on offense and get beaten defensively)

4. A coach not named Darvin Ham
DanishLakerFan
Veteran
And1: 569

Post#53 » by DanishLakerFan » Thu May 2, 2024 8:25 am

Main priorities:
1. Fire Ham. He's responsible for the Lakers falling behind in regular season.
2. Re-sign Lebron. Him and AD are still good enough to win a title.

3. Find another big man. AD might be the best defender in the world, but he does struggle against size/strength and really cant protect the rim while guarding someone like Joker on the perimeter.
4. Re-sign OR trade D'Lo. He's easily been our third best player and while he did struggle in playoffs, he did help us get there. Cant let him walk for nothing.
5. Be smart. Dont trade for / sign / draft guys that doesn't make any **** sense. I mean, JHS, Hayes, Reddish? I mean wtf?
TimeisIllmatic
Sixth Man
And1: 321

Post#54 » by TimeisIllmatic » Thu May 2, 2024 2:55 pm

NYG wrote:
TimeisIllmatic wrote:In a perfect world, blow it up. Realistically, I think they will aim high but once they realize they won't be able to get Mitchell or Trae, I think they settle with DJM.

Problem is... there would need to be a 3rd team because all the Lakers can offer is picks

Third team could be possible similar to the D'Lo deal with the Lakers, Minny and Utah. I don't think DJM will have a huge demand this summer outside of maybe the Lakers, Orlando and a dark horse team that I think in Utah.
Colbinii
RealGM
And1: 20,178

Post#55 » by Colbinii » Thu May 2, 2024 2:56 pm

DanishLakerFan wrote:Main priorities:

3. Find another big man. AD might be the best defender in the world, but he does struggle against size/strength and really cant protect the rim while guarding someone like Joker on the perimeter.
4. Re-sign OR trade D'Lo. He's easily been our third best player and while he did struggle in playoffs, he did help us get there. Cant let him walk for nothing.
5. Be smart. Dont trade for / sign / draft guys that doesn't make any **** sense. I mean, JHS, Hayes, Reddish? I mean wtf?

Shouldn't #1 be firing the GM?

He is the one who brings in the role players. He is the one who brings in the coaches. He was the one who passed on Ty Lue [though knowing the Lakers carousel, they would have fired a great coach in Lue already after he couldn't get Westbrook to work :lol: ].

If firing the GM isn't the #1 priority, then Lakers fan are burying their head in the ground.
tsherkin wrote:Locked due to absence of adult conversation.

penbeast0 wrote:Guys, if you don't have anything to say, don't post.

Circa 2018
E-Balla wrote:LeBron is Jeff George.

Circa 2022
G35 wrote:Lebron is not that far off from WB in trade value.
nzahir
RealGM
And1: 4,768

Post#56 » by nzahir » Thu May 2, 2024 7:49 pm

What big man makes sense?

3) We need someone who is actually good, so that will cost some $ or some assets. If that is the case, we want the guy to be able to play beside AD

Turner, Horford, Brook Lopez, WCJ, Naz Reid or KAT if Minny moves 1

Duop Reath on Portland is a lesser known guy, a stretch big. But unsure if he is the answer since we may need a guy who can legit close games vs top teams (Top teams are big: Den is big, Minny is big, Boston is big)

4) I dont really want Dlo back if we can get someone like Cp3 for the min/piece of mle. Opt in and trade is cool or let him walk if we can also convicne Bron to take a little pay cut and get the full mle if possible.

But it also depends on if we can make a trade. If we can get a wing like KD or Bridges, I may be cool with Dlo, but likely as a guy who wont close games
NYG
RealGM

Post#57 » by NYG » Sat May 4, 2024 7:20 pm

Who are a few attainable big men that are good fits?
zimpy27
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 37,345

Post#58 » by zimpy27 » Sat May 4, 2024 8:37 pm

NYG wrote:Who are a few attainable big men that are good fits?

WCJ, Portis, JI, Naz
"Let's play some basketball!" - Fergie
HadAnEffectHere
Sixth Man
And1: 846

Post#59 » by HadAnEffectHere » Sat May 4, 2024 8:44 pm

dakomish23 wrote:Is Durant any way a possible trade target while keeping Lebron and AD

I think they can offer more than Durant is worth.

The Suns are pretty deluded and won't trade him though.
amcoolio
Hornets Forum John Hancock
And1: 9,303

Post#60 » by amcoolio » Sat May 4, 2024 9:26 pm

In no world are LeBron and AD good enough to win a title, unless 10 or so western conference stars get injured and miss the playoffs

The only way they would is if that managed to add Booker, Steph Curry, Jamal Murray, or Donovan Mitchell for free, and there's no way that happens
I don't support domestic violence. Thanks Miles

Return to Trades and Transactions