Instant Reaction: What Do The Lakers Do This Off-Season?

Moderators: Trader_Joe, loserX, Andre Roberstan, HartfordWhalers, BullyKing, Texas Chuck, MoneyTalks41890, Mamba4Goat, pacers33granger

NYG
RealGM
And1: 2,663

Re: Instant Reaction: What Do The Lakers Do This Off-Season? 

Post#61 » by NYG » Sun May 5, 2024 2:34 am

Brook Lopez to the Lakers
Rui, Wood and 17 to the Bucks
JHS to Team X
Karmaloop
General Manager
And1: 1,494

Post#62 » by Karmaloop » Sun May 5, 2024 3:11 pm

NYG wrote:Brook Lopez to the Lakers
JHS to Team X

Brook Lopez isn't worth all that...
NYG
RealGM

Post#63 » by NYG » Sun May 5, 2024 3:13 pm

Karmaloop wrote:
JHS to Team X

Does Milwaukee do it without 17?
Skybox
RealGM
And1: 5,790

Post#64 » by Skybox » Sun May 5, 2024 3:30 pm

NYG wrote:
Karmaloop wrote:
JHS to Team X

Does Milwaukee do it without 17?

I don’t think MIL does it WITH 17…Brook’s trade value may not be great, but MIL is as desperately win-now as LAL. What does Rui and a 19 year old do for Dame & Giannis? They’re not here to help LAL
Karmaloop
General Manager

Post#65 » by Karmaloop » Sun May 5, 2024 3:43 pm

NYG wrote:Does Milwaukee do it without 17?

If we're being honest, I don't think Milwaukee does it even with 17. Just not the right move for them. Milwaukee and Los Angeles just seem like odd trade partners.
Karmaloop
General Manager

Post#66 » by Karmaloop » Sun May 5, 2024 3:53 pm

The first domino was obviously the firing of Darvin Ham. The writing was on the wall, and short of a deep playoff run I don't think he was going to be back. I don't have any particularly strong opinions on anyone in particular, but I'd probably target someone with semi-recent NBA susccess.

Hopefully, all the guys who have POs exercise those POs so they can be used as salary fillers. D'Angelo is obviously the big one at $18.7M, and I think it's probably 50/50 on whether or not he opts out. I think it's probably slightly more likely he opts in, because I'm not sure he's going to get much more than 3/$45M as a FA.

I think the Lakers are going to go big game fishing, specifically I think they're going to target Trae Young. But I also think the Lakers are going to be very reluctant to destroy their depth to do so. Obviously, you have D'Angelo Russell as your large salary filler and you work from there.

If the Lakers whiff on a big ticket trade, I think the Lakers do more moderate moves and look to reposition themselves with more depth and hopefully better health.
mademan
RealGM
And1: 28,543

Post#67 » by mademan » Sun May 5, 2024 4:11 pm

Karmaloop wrote:The first domino was obviously the firing of Darvin Ham. The writing was on the wall, and short of a deep playoff run I don't think he was going to be back. I don't have any particularly strong opinions on anyone in particular, but I'd probably target someone with semi-recent NBA susccess.

Hopefully, all the guys who have POs exercise those POs so they can be used as salary fillers. D'Angelo is obviously the big one at $18.7M, and I think it's probably 50/50 on whether or not he opts out. I think it's probably slightly more likely he opts in, because I'm not sure he's going to get much more than 3/$45M as a FA.

I think the Lakers are going to go big game fishing, specifically I think they're going to target Trae Young. But I also think the Lakers are going to be very reluctant to destroy their depth to do so. Obviously, you have D'Angelo Russell as your large salary filler and you work from there.

If the Lakers whiff on a big ticket trade, I think the Lakers do more moderate moves and look to reposition themselves with more depth and hopefully better health.

Dlo had a good season and this is a weak FA class where most guys are expected to stay home. I dont think theres a chance he opts in, even if its only to get the same salary with more years. I can easily see him getting 3/55 from like Orlando or something after they whiff on Paul George.
Karmaloop
General Manager

Post#68 » by Karmaloop » Sun May 5, 2024 6:18 pm

mademan wrote:Dlo had a good season and this is a weak FA class where most guys are expected to stay home. I dont think theres a chance he opts in, even if its only to get the same salary with more years. I can easily see him getting 3/55 from like Orlando or something after they whiff on Paul George.

He put up pretty much the exact same numbers this year as he did after being traded to LA last year. And last offseason, he was only able to get 2 years, $36M with a PO on Y2. His market isn't going to be robust by any means.
mademan
RealGM
And1: 28,543

Post#69 » by mademan » Sun May 5, 2024 6:20 pm

Karmaloop wrote:
mademan wrote:Dlo had a good season and this is a weak FA class where most guys are expected to stay home. I dont think theres a chance he opts in, even if its only to get the same salary with more years. I can easily see him getting 3/55 from like Orlando or something after they whiff on Paul George.

He put up pretty much the exact same numbers this year as he did after being traded to LA last year. And last offseason, he was only able to get 2 years, $36M with a PO on Y2. His market isn't going to be robust by any means.

Yes. And last year he got a 2 year deal. Why wouldnt he at the very least do the same again? And its quite possible that he's one of the 2-3 best FA's that actually available if/when the big names all re-sign with their teams (OG/PG/Butler/Siakam..etc). Even a team like the Spurs might sign him seeing him as a fine stop gap pg as they try and make the playoffs next year

I doubt he's gonna opt-in. At worst, he opts out and repeats what he did last year (1+1 with the Lakers)
Texas Chuck
Senior Mod - NBA TnT Forum
And1: 89,723

Post#70 » by Texas Chuck » Sun May 5, 2024 6:57 pm

I'd also expect him to opt out. Very minimal financial risk, especially since the Lakers can't afford to lose more depth so a return is basically always in the cards if another team doesn't shop. Especially likely to opt out knowing if he opts in the Lakers are quite likely to look to use him as salary matching meaning he loses control of where he plays.

I know we always want to assume players will do things in the best interest of our team instead of the best interest of themselves but I wouldn't expect that here.
ThunderBolt wrote:I’m going to let some of you in on a little secret I learned on realgm. If you don’t like a thread, not only do you not have to comment but you don’t even have to open it and read it. You’re welcome.
NYG
RealGM

Post#71 » by NYG » Sun May 5, 2024 7:32 pm

Karmaloop wrote:
JHS to Team X

I have the Lakers as better in 2024-25 with Lopez versus what they send out.
AingesBurner
RealGM
And1: 3,749

Post#72 » by AingesBurner » Sun May 5, 2024 7:50 pm

NYG wrote:Who are a few attainable big men that are good fits?

Utah would send out Kessler for unprotecting 27, 28 unprotected swap, and unprotected 29 1st.
Karmaloop
General Manager

Post#73 » by Karmaloop » Sun May 5, 2024 10:30 pm

AingesBurner wrote:Utah would send out Kessler for unprotecting 27, 28 unprotected swap, and unprotected 29 1st.

Of course they would. If Ainge's demands for Kessler are anywhere near what yours are, the Jazz aren't going to be dealing their "part time" starting center.
kds92
Pro Prospect
And1: 702

Post#74 » by kds92 » Tue May 7, 2024 3:37 pm

How about Kessler to the Lakers for JHS and #17? Lakers also unprotect the 2027 1st
Texas Chuck
And1: 89,723

Post#75 » by Texas Chuck » Tue May 7, 2024 4:57 pm

AingesBurner wrote:

Utah would send out Kessler for unprotecting 27, 28 unprotected swap, and unprotected 29 1st.

We have a board policy against this kind of post. Don't derail with more of your unrealistic counter offers please. If you want to post fantasy Jazz returns there are internet forums suitable for that. This isn't one.
ThunderBolt wrote:I’m going to let some of you in on a little secret I learned on realgm. If you don’t like a thread, not only do you not have to comment but you don’t even have to open it and read it. You’re welcome.
HadAnEffectHere
Sixth Man
And1: 847

Post#76 » by HadAnEffectHere » Tue May 7, 2024 5:01 pm

kds92 wrote:How about Kessler to the Lakers for JHS and #17? Lakers also unprotect the 2027 1st

Kessler is just such a bad fit with AD.

AD is awkwardly between PF and C right now as his shooting makes it hard for him to play PF on offense, but he's definitely a PF on defense.
Colbinii
RealGM
And1: 20,188

Post#77 » by Colbinii » Tue May 7, 2024 5:01 pm

Kessler isn't getting an unprotected 1st. There are plenty of centers in this draft available at #17 with more upside than Kessler.
tsherkin wrote:Locked due to absence of adult conversation.

penbeast0 wrote:Guys, if you don't have anything to say, don't post.

Circa 2018
E-Balla wrote:LeBron is Jeff George.

Circa 2022
G35 wrote:Lebron is not that far off from WB in trade value.
HadAnEffectHere
Sixth Man
And1: 847

Post#78 » by HadAnEffectHere » Tue May 7, 2024 5:09 pm

Colbinii wrote:Kessler isn't getting an unprotected 1st. There are plenty of centers in this draft available at #17 with more upside than Kessler.

Kessler has top 12 center in the NBA potential if he gains confidence and improves his FT%.

He just struggled last year because his coach hates his archetype and because he's afraid of being fouled.

Which centers are you even talking about, lol. Edey has a small chance of playing in the NBA and Ware will probably go undrafted (he just hates basketball and NBA people hate soft big men post Ayton). Filipowski is a PF. Missi does have more potential than Kessler, but Missi is 4-5 years away and has no idea how to play basketball right now.
JRoy
RealGM
And1: 10,580

Post#79 » by JRoy » Tue May 7, 2024 5:16 pm

HadAnEffectHere wrote:
Colbinii wrote:Kessler isn't getting an unprotected 1st. There are plenty of centers in this draft available at #17 with more upside than Kessler.

Kessler has top 12 center in the NBA potential if he gains confidence and improves his FT%.

He just struggled last year because his coach hates his archetype and because he's afraid of being fouled.

Which centers are you even talking about, lol. Edey has a small chance of playing in the NBA and Ware will probably go undrafted (he just hates basketball and NBA people hate soft big men post Ayton). Filipowski is a PF. Missi does have more potential than Kessler, but Missi is 4-5 years away and has no idea how to play basketball right now.

I disagree about Edey but time will tell.

I liked Tacko too.
Edrees wrote:
JRoy wrote:Monta Ellis have it all

I was hoping and expecting this to be one of the first replies. You did not disappoint. Jroy have it all.
AingesBurner
RealGM
And1: 3,749

Post#80 » by AingesBurner » Tue May 7, 2024 6:56 pm

Texas Chuck wrote:
AingesBurner wrote:

We have a board policy against this kind of post. Don't derail with more of your unrealistic counter offers please. If you want to post fantasy Jazz returns there are internet forums suitable for that. This isn't one.

This wasn’t derail of unrealistic counter offers. This is called seeing if Kessler is worth that. It’s called a negotiation tactic.

Return to Trades and Transactions