PHX - HOU - BKN: KD to Houston and a reset

Moderators: loserX, Andre Roberstan, HartfordWhalers, BullyKing, Texas Chuck, MoneyTalks41890, Mamba4Goat, pacers33granger, Trader_Joe

ORLoyalist
Ballboy
And1: 4

PHX - HOU - BKN: KD to Houston and a reset 

Post#1 » by ORLoyalist » Tue Apr 30, 2024 8:37 am

HOU gets:
Kevin Durant

HOU gives:
Dillon Brooks
Steven Adams
Cam Whitmore
Tari Eason
2025, 2027 pick swap rights with BKN
2024, 2026 FRPs (BKN)
2028 FRP (HOU)

PHX gets:
Dillon Brooks
Steven Adams
Cam Whitmore
Tari Eason
2025, 2027, 2029 FRPs (PHX)
2028 pick swap rights returned (from BKN)

PHX gives:
Kevin Durant

BKN gets:
2025, 2027 pick swap rights returned (from HOU)
2024, 2026 FRPs (BKN)
2028 FRP (HOU)

BKN gives:
2025, 2027, 2029 FRPs (PHX)
2028 pick swap rights returned (from BKN)

While I'm not sure about the exact values here, this is a fascinating trade that supercharges Houston while handing Phoenix and Brooklyn their futures back.

Why Houston does it: Houston can now trot out a terrifying FVV/Jalen Green/KD/Jabari Smith Jr./Sengun lineup, with Amen Thompson looming off the bench. Surrendering good Nets picks is probably a fair price to pay for this deal though the exact price can probably be tinkered with (with later picks possibly remaining in HOU).

Why Phoenix does it: Phoenix regains control of its draft future (excluding swaps with the putrid Wizards), plus a few interesting prospects to start their rebuild. Jalen Green could possibly be included to sweeten the deal for them (with the 2028 HOU FRP and 2029 PHX FRP getting dropped from the package) if PHX needs another prospect back.

Why Brooklyn does it: Brooklyn swaps the Phoenix first round picks for draft control, and can now trade Mikal Bridges for more assets and begin rebuilding in earnest.
Kiss of Death
Senior
And1: 837

Re: PHX - HOU - BKN: KD to Houston and a reset 

Post#2 » by Kiss of Death » Tue Apr 30, 2024 1:23 pm

Durant isn’t worth all of that. This isn’t KD of 2018.

The Rockets have already seen what happened to teams* who panicked and traded away their entire future trying to build a super team.

*See: Phoenix, Brooklyn.
lpbman
Starter
And1: 10

Post#3 » by lpbman » Tue Apr 30, 2024 1:39 pm

Not giving up Whitmore AND Eason AND the picks. I'd do it for 2 picks and Green tho. Don't know what the Suns would do with Green, Booker, and Beal, so that's prob a 3 team trade with Green going somewhere else.If Durant was 30 I would, but he is not.

Houston would be better off offering a package for Ingram centered around Adams and Brooks+picks. Which the Pels don't do unless Stephen Adams can come back healthy or the Rockets throw in too many picks. But who knows, GM's get antsy sometimes.
ThatBoyNick
Assistant Coach
And1: 3,454

Post#4 » by ThatBoyNick » Tue Apr 30, 2024 1:52 pm

This is wild, Hou is giving up a 5 first equivalent, 3 swaps, and to top it off 2 useful veterans in the scenario of getting a 36 year old KD

I’d imagine KD’s market value should be less then half of this, and if it isn’t, god bless I hope we aren’t part of it.

This is the Suns waiving the white flag saying they made a mistake mortgaging their future for an old KD, that they want to cut their losses and recoup what they can, and Houston for some reason comes in and says - hey let me do the exact same thing you did and pay a comparable price - a whole year later.
JKiddy
Bench Warmer
And1: 329

Post#5 » by JKiddy » Tue Apr 30, 2024 2:36 pm

Why would BK do this?

The Suns picks are THE MOST VALUABLE CURRENTLY IN THE ENTIRE LEAGUE. Have you done research on the draft classes where PHX will be a Bottom 5 team towards 2026/27/28/29?

The Nets are looking to make a move this and next off-season so their own picks will not be that great in the future after the next 2 seasons. They know PHX will be worse off. This would not help BK. They are not even getting a stud young player to play with their young prospects.
HornetJail
RealGM
And1: 12,585

Post#6 » by HornetJail » Tue Apr 30, 2024 3:22 pm

ORLoyalist wrote:Houston can now trot out a terrifying FVV/Jalen Green/KD/Jabari Smith Jr./Sengun lineup, with Amen Thompson looming off the bench
we have different ideas of terrifying. that's a good team but it's not winning a title or anything close to it. I don't have Houston bailing on their rebuild for this

I like the idea of these teams getting their picks back but this isn't the deal.
formerly KEMBAtheMETEOR
K_chile22
RealGM
And1: 7,965

Post#7 » by K_chile22 » Tue Apr 30, 2024 4:38 pm

KD does not make Houston a contender and hes 36 makes no sense to trade for him at this kind of price
jowglenn
General Manager
And1: 2,504

Post#8 » by jowglenn » Tue Apr 30, 2024 4:39 pm

A clever concept to sort of reset everyone's picks back to them, but... sorry, the Rockets should not be repeating the Suns' mistakes. They've got a fun young team with a wealth of youth and a couple savvy vets - they should not blow their wad on an aging Durant. Keep the ammo dry and see if a player under 30 comes available and then pounce on that option.
RollingWave
Sixth Man
And1: 737

Post#9 » by RollingWave » Wed May 1, 2024 4:56 am

Interesting concept at least, the value is probably in the ball park, the Brooklyn part seems pretty unnecessary as you’re not tanking further than Brooklyn with Booker on your team still, I would try to keep Tari Eason if I’m Houston
The river of time wash away all heroes

Return to Trades and Transactions