Hawks/Pelicans

Moderators: Trader_Joe, loserX, Andre Roberstan, HartfordWhalers, BullyKing, Texas Chuck, MoneyTalks41890, Mamba4Goat, pacers33granger

louc1970
Senior
And1: 173

Hawks/Pelicans 

Post#1 » by louc1970 » Tue Apr 30, 2024 2:02 pm

Atlanta sends Young to the Pelicans for Ingram, Daniels, 24 FRP and 25 FRP.

Pelicans get the PG they need to make everyone better. Move on from Ingram with Murphy/Jones in waiting. Young makes everything easier for everyone (except defensively)

Hawks get a SF/PF running late for Johnson. Draft someone such as Collier with own pick, draft big with the NOP pick. Move nearly everyone else and rebuild on the fly.
dms269
Forum Mod - Hawks
Forum Mod - Hawks
And1: 1,543

Re: Hawks/Pelicans 

Post#2 » by dms269 » Tue Apr 30, 2024 3:10 pm

This is probably closer to Murray's value than Trae's.
The moderator formerly known as uga_dawgs24
jayjaysee
King of the Trade Board
And1: 5,636

Post#3 » by jayjaysee » Tue Apr 30, 2024 3:18 pm

I like base but think Atl needs a decent amount ore value.

As unrealistic or rare as superstar trades are, I would add a Hunter/CJM swap or a Hunter+Capela for CJM+Nance type deal.
Wolveswin
Head Coach
And1: 2,554

Post#4 » by Wolveswin » Tue Apr 30, 2024 6:37 pm

dms269 wrote:This is probably closer to Murray's value than Trae's.

This.

This trade had been discussed a lot. I think:

Murphy is needed. Key piece. Murphy and Jalen Johnson can be key Hawks pillars for many years.

Murphy + McCollum + Picks

FOR

Trae + _________

__________ can be a lot of players. Capela for example. Okongwu. Hunter.
lordjeff05
Analyst
And1: 770

Post#5 » by lordjeff05 » Tue Apr 30, 2024 7:53 pm

Couple things…I can’t speak for the Pels front office but Trae has minimal appeal for me and although I believe his value is higher than Ingram’s I wouldn’t trade him for Ingram straight up because of how bad his defense is.

Murray has some appeal but I think this idea that he is better than Ingram is a reflection of recency bias. Murray has become a better, more willing shooter than BI but this is the first year he’s ever scored more points than BI and he was a worse defender than BI this year. He has been a bad defender for 3 years. I hope he can turn it around but this is a fact right now.

I think this idea that a BI/ Murray trade will take multiple firsts and a young prospect is kinda overblown.

Also a Murray trade likely requires a CJ trade too which just adds to the complication.

Anyways this one has been discussed a bunch but I think BI has become underrated here which was exacerbated by his play in the playoffs, which is ironic because Murray didn’t make the playoffs and his team has performed worse than BI’s (with or without Zion) for the entirety of the year.
lordjeff05
Analyst

Post#6 » by lordjeff05 » Tue Apr 30, 2024 7:58 pm

Wolveswin wrote:

This.

Murphy is needed. Key piece. Murphy and Jalen Johnson can be key Hawks pillars for many years.

FOR

Trae + _________

Yeah I don’t think that happens. This trade creates as many problems as it solves and Trey is such a complimentary player to whoever we bring back next year that the value has to be a clear win. I just dont see it.
Jon1798
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,478

Post#7 » by Jon1798 » Tue Apr 30, 2024 9:53 pm

I think more people will see Trae as a player you can’t win with as compared to those that do. And if they do put him on the market, they will not get a better player today than Brandon Ingram. I’m just not so sure the Pels would be interested. There may be something to a BI/CJ for Trae/Capella trade as it sorts some of the salary situation for the Pels (Capella expiring when Trey Murphy’s extension kicks in). But such a big trade with such big money moving seems highly unlikely.
"This post wants out of New Orleans" - Woj
dms269
Forum Mod - Hawks
Forum Mod - Hawks

Post#8 » by dms269 » Tue Apr 30, 2024 10:54 pm

lordjeff05 wrote:Couple things…I can’t speak for the Pels front office but Trae has minimal appeal for me and although I believe his value is higher than Ingram’s I wouldn’t trade him for Ingram straight up because of how bad his defense is.

Murray has some appeal but I think this idea that he is better than Ingram is a reflection of recency bias. Murray has become a better, more willing shooter than BI but this is the first year he’s ever scored more points than BI and he was a worse defender than BI this year. He has been a bad defender for 3 years. I hope he can turn it around but this is a fact right now.

I think this idea that a BI/ Murray trade will take multiple firsts and a young prospect is kinda overblown.

Also a Murray trade likely requires a CJ trade too which just adds to the complication.

Anyways this one has been discussed a bunch but I think BI has become underrated here which was exacerbated by his play in the playoffs, which is ironic because Murray didn’t make the playoffs and his team has performed worse than BI’s (with or without Zion) for the entirety of the year.

In a vacuum BI likely does have more value. But you cannot look at player valuation without factoring in contracts. I think that is why many of us are saying Murray>Ingram because of BI being an expiring and likely commanding double what Murray is getting paid.

In terms of defense, Murray has been having to guard out of position more in Atlanta which isn't maximizing his strengths.

Sent from my SM-G975U using RealGM mobile app
Wolveswin
Head Coach

Post#9 » by Wolveswin » Wed May 1, 2024 2:30 am

lordjeff05 wrote:
Wolveswin wrote:

This.

FOR

Trae + _________

Yeah I don’t think that happens. This trade creates as many problems as it solves and Trey is such a complimentary player to whoever we bring back next year that the value has to be a clear win. I just dont see it.

Clear win for whom?
MessiahUjiri
Analyst
And1: 3,776

Post#10 » by MessiahUjiri » Wed May 1, 2024 2:32 am

Trae for Zion

that’s the real deal here, right?
Fire everyone who doesn't win the NBA championship.

Tank for 2050. Robot players.

AbeVigodaLive wrote:NZ native, Steven Adams, was initially cast as Gandalf in Lord in the Rings... until Director Peter Jackson replaced him with a younger looking actor.
lordjeff05
Analyst

Post#11 » by lordjeff05 » Wed May 1, 2024 3:17 am

dms269 wrote:
lordjeff05 wrote:Couple things…I can’t speak for the Pels front office but Trae has minimal appeal for me and although I believe his value is higher than Ingram’s I wouldn’t trade him for Ingram straight up because of how bad his defense is.

In a vacuum BI likely does have more value. But you cannot look at player valuation without factoring in contracts. I think that is why many of us are saying Murray>Ingram because of BI being an expiring and likely commanding double what Murray is getting paid.

In terms of defense, Murray has been having to guard out of position more in Atlanta which isn't maximizing his strengths.

Yeah I think that makes sense to an extent but I still don’t see the value gap being more than a pick. And I believe Dejounte can turn it around but that drop in defense started when he was still on the spurs.
lordjeff05
Analyst

Post#12 » by lordjeff05 » Wed May 1, 2024 3:33 am

Wolveswin wrote:
lordjeff05 wrote:
Wolveswin wrote:This.

FOR

Trae + _________

Clear win for whom?

For the Pelicans, it’s gotta be a win for the Pelicans. I don’t think Trey is untouchable. I don’t really think anyone is untouchable. But he’s incredibly valuable and complimentary to virtuallY anyone you bring in to your team as opposed to Trae who seems to need some specific things to succeed and even then may be tapped out because of defensive limitations. There’s also the whole priority of who gets to be the alpha. I don’t think Trae comes in to nola or many other places thinking he needs to change his game up to help someone else out.

I think Trey tops out as a championship level third option who can guard his position and switch but his max ceiling is Klay Thompson. And even with that potential he’s still probably not even getting the fun max because he was a later round pick and he comes off the bench. And even that doesn’t start until 25 because he’s got one more year on the rookie scale. So in order to equal or improve the value of that.

Trae has an offensive ceiling even higher than that but his defensive ceiling is maybe what CJ is now? And getting that from what would be your second best player is a problem.

If Trey was part of a package that got you a true blue second option that fit well with Zion I’d think about it. Barring that I don’t see the Pels trading him.
Chinook
Head Coach
And1: 3,480

Post#13 » by Chinook » Wed May 1, 2024 4:51 am

dms269 wrote:In terms of defense, Murray has been having to guard out of position more in Atlanta which isn't maximizing his strengths.

Also, and I can't stress this enough, Murray is not a good defender. Never has been. He was given credit for the Spurs' D in 2017-2018, when that was due to Danny Green and Kyle Anderson on the perimeter, Aldridge having the best defensive year of his career and Gasol having his last healthy season. Once Green and Anderson moved on and Gasol's body gave out on him, Murray looked just as bad as he does with the Hawks.

If the Hawks become a legit good defense, Murray's talents there will show again. But historically, he's not going to lead the turnaround.
jbk1234
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 32,546

Post#14 » by jbk1234 » Wed May 1, 2024 4:54 am

Is it? I have real questions as to why the Pelicans would do this
cbosh4mvp wrote:
Jarret Allen isn’t winning you anything. Garland won’t show up in the playoffs. Mobley is a glorified dunk man. Mitchell has some experience but is a liability on defense. To me, the Cavs are a treadmill team.
Wolveswin
Head Coach

Post#15 » by Wolveswin » Wed May 1, 2024 6:28 am

lordjeff05 wrote:
Wolveswin wrote:
lordjeff05 wrote:

Clear win for whom?

For the Pelicans, it’s gotta be a win for the Pelicans. I don’t think Trey is untouchable. I don’t really think anyone is untouchable. But he’s incredibly valuable and complimentary to virtuallY anyone you bring in to your team as opposed to Trae who seems to need some specific things to succeed and even then may be tapped out because of defensive limitations. There’s also the whole priority of who gets to be the alpha. I don’t think Trae comes in to nola or many other places thinking he needs to change his game up to help someone else out.

I think Trey tops out as a championship level third option who can guard his position and switch but his max ceiling is Klay Thompson. And even with that potential he’s still probably not even getting the fun max because he was a later round pick and he comes off the bench. And even that doesn’t start until 25 because he’s got one more year on the rookie scale. So in order to equal or improve the value of that.

Trae has an offensive ceiling even higher than that but his defensive ceiling is maybe what CJ is now? And getting that from what would be your second best player is a problem.

If Trey was part of a package that got you a true blue second option that fit well with Zion I’d think about it. Barring that I don’t see the Pels trading him.

So Hawks are trading the best player - their superstar. And it needs to be a clear win for Pels?
lordjeff05
Analyst

Post#16 » by lordjeff05 » Wed May 1, 2024 11:58 am

Wolveswin wrote:
lordjeff05 wrote:
Wolveswin wrote:Clear win for whom?

So Hawks are trading the best player - their superstar. And it needs to be a clear win for Pels?

So there are two or three separate issues here. First, generally, I don’t want Trae at all because of his defensive limitations. He’s the better play in this specific trade, I get that but his overall style of play is difficult to mesh with and build around.

Also, generally, I’m explaining the type of player you’d need to get for this to make sense for the Pels to trade Trey. I don’t think young is the type of player that makes it worth it.

And thirdly, specific to the trade, I’m not a fan because again Trae creates as many problems as he solves for this roster and that’s before factoring losing a wing defender that could mitigate some of those issues.
Euphonetiks
Pro Prospect
And1: 364

Post#17 » by Euphonetiks » Wed May 1, 2024 1:48 pm

Zion is already difficult enough to construct a roster around. Adding Trae with his defensive limitations at the cost of assets makes filling out a contending roster damn near impossible.

If we were just trying to make the playoffs and have fun with a limited ceiling, then a Trae-Zion pairing would be entertaining. Or if Zion was more versatile, then we could maybe hide Trae. But adding Trae means we have to play a defensive big which means they can’t shoot.

Herb-Zion-non-shooting big compresses the floor and makes Zion’s and Trae’s life difficult.
Texas Chuck
Senior Mod - NBA TnT Forum
And1: 89,656

Post#18 » by Texas Chuck » Wed May 1, 2024 8:56 pm

Maybe? But man that feels like a pretty sizable overpay for Murray especially since we know the Hawks shopped him hard this deadline and if they had gotten an offer anywhere near this, he surely was gone.
ThunderBolt wrote:I’m going to let some of you in on a little secret I learned on realgm. If you don’t like a thread, not only do you not have to comment but you don’t even have to open it and read it. You’re welcome.
dms269
Forum Mod - Hawks
Forum Mod - Hawks

Post#19 » by dms269 » Wed May 1, 2024 9:07 pm

no comment
Texas Chuck
And1: 89,656

Post#20 » by Texas Chuck » Wed May 1, 2024 9:09 pm

dms269 wrote:
Texas Chuck wrote:

Maybe? But man that feels like a pretty sizable overpay for Murray especially since we know the Hawks shopped him hard this deadline and if they had gotten an offer anywhere near this, he surely was gone.

You do realize that my statement and your statement can both be right? This offer likely falls in between the value of Murray and Trae, I just believe it is closer to the Murray end than the Trae end. We know your stance with most Hawks player.

Yes I do.
ThunderBolt wrote:I’m going to let some of you in on a little secret I learned on realgm. If you don’t like a thread, not only do you not have to comment but you don’t even have to open it and read it. You’re welcome.

Return to Trades and Transactions