Pelicans - ATL - Magic

Moderators: Trader_Joe, loserX, Andre Roberstan, HartfordWhalers, BullyKing, Texas Chuck, MoneyTalks41890, Mamba4Goat, pacers33granger

LightTheBeam
RealGM
And1: 10,619

Pelicans - ATL - Magic 

Post#1 » by LightTheBeam » Tue Apr 30, 2024 5:10 pm

EDITED OP as Bey is a RFA

Pelicans out: CJ, Ingram, #21
Pelicans in: Dejounte, Capela

Orlando out: Carter Jr
Orlando in: CJ

ATL out: Murray, Capela
ATL In: Ingram, Carter Jr, #21

Why for Pelicans? Get more of a natural point guard for Zion, let Murphy/Herb take steps while clearing the path for Zion. From what I saw, Zion/Ingram are not a fit. Capela is a better fit than JV who they let walk. Save a ton of money also.
Murray - Herb - Murphy - Zion - Capela
Jose - Hawkins - Dyson - Naji - Nance Jr

Why for Orlando? CJ is a great fit in the backcourt with Suggs. He helps with some of the scoring they need. To complete the team they throw a nice offer at Claxton or Isaiah Hartenstein. Team could make an even bigger leap next year
CJ - Suggs - Wagner - Banchero - Claxton
Cole - Black - Jett - Isaac - Wagner

Why for ATL? Break up the Trae/Murray duo for a bigger pairing. Simple deal for them
Trae - Ingram - Hunter - Johnson - OO
Kobe - Bojan - Griffin - Carter
Godaddycurse
RealGM
And1: 10,449

Re: Pelicans - ATL - Magic 

Post#2 » by Godaddycurse » Tue Apr 30, 2024 5:20 pm

NOP owes value to both orlando and Atlanta
LightTheBeam
RealGM

Post#3 » by LightTheBeam » Tue Apr 30, 2024 5:43 pm

Godaddycurse wrote:NOP owes value to both orlando and Atlanta

I initially had NOP sending Hawkins to ATL, but figured Bey can't really be positive value right?

My thought process - Murray is worth slightly more than Ingram due to contract, but ATL is getting a significant fit upgrade, and 6'8 wings don't come available often. Then adding in Bey off-set that bit. Maybe a 2nd round pick to sweeten the pot?

As for Orlando, I wasn't sure what to do there. The fans seemed to want a different fit at center all season. CJ is coming off a fantastic year of 20-5-4 with 43% from 3 on high volume. I had him as better than sinking 25/year into Monk, or paying Klay.

What kind of value do you think is owed to Orlando here?
dms269
Forum Mod - Hawks
Forum Mod - Hawks
And1: 1,543

Post#4 » by dms269 » Tue Apr 30, 2024 5:47 pm

LightTheBeam wrote:

I initially had NOP sending Hawkins to ATL, but figured Bey can't really be positive value right?

My thought process - Murray is worth slightly more than Ingram due to contract, but ATL is getting a significant fit upgrade, and 6'8 wings don't come available often. Then adding in Bey off-set that bit. Maybe a 2nd round pick to sweeten the pot?

As for Orlando, I wasn't sure what to do there. The fans seemed to want a different fit at center all season. CJ is coming off a fantastic year of 20-5-4 with 43% from 3 on high volume. I had him as better than sinking 25/year into Monk, or paying Klay.

Bey is a rfa this offseason.

I have Murray being worth quite a bit more than Ingram due to the contract situation. If you do retain him he is going to be making double what DJM is going to be making.
The moderator formerly known as uga_dawgs24
LightTheBeam
RealGM

Post#5 » by LightTheBeam » Tue Apr 30, 2024 5:52 pm

dms269 wrote:
LightTheBeam wrote:

I have Murray being worth quite a bit more than Ingram due to the contract situation. If you do retain him he is going to be making double what DJM is going to be making.

I somehow imagined that Bey signed an extension around 14-15/year. Wonder who I'm confusing him for. Makes sense and changes the value pretty significantly! Maybe a shift then (to also make money work better)

Capela + Murray to Pelicans
Ingram + Carter to ATL
CJ to Orlando

Now we sweeten as needed.

ATL cuts some of the cost of Capela for a younger player who fits better behind OO next year.

Be interesting to see if Ingram gets the max. I don't think he's earned it but could be a team willing to give it to him. I could see him extending for around 4 / 140-150
LightTheBeam
RealGM

Post#6 » by LightTheBeam » Tue Apr 30, 2024 5:55 pm

dms269 wrote:
LightTheBeam wrote:

Just adjusted op slightly. Adding some incentive to ATL, and swapping the centers around.
orlando_joe
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,669

Post#7 » by orlando_joe » Tue Apr 30, 2024 6:26 pm

i dont see magic wanting this at all fine with wcj no need for cj at his age and contract short older no defense guard pass many other options can go with this would be real far down on list
Wolveswin
Head Coach
And1: 2,554

Post#8 » by Wolveswin » Tue Apr 30, 2024 6:41 pm

Magic make bad 3rd team. They would prefer to get Murray direct. Cut out Pels.
Skybox
RealGM
And1: 5,781

Post#9 » by Skybox » Tue Apr 30, 2024 6:44 pm

CJ is exactly the "type" ORL could use ...but not at his age, contract, injury history. Value is good for ORL, IMO...but I'm hoping they chase a younger, better defender...Dejounte would be my #1 target but, admittedly, ATL may really value a win-now guy like Ingram (whose value is pretty shaky right now-but is a scorer). IF ATL values WCJ and picks (and maybe dumping a salary on ORL), I'd back up the picks truck for Murray.

*I'd also want to explore AJ Griffin as a "sweetener" in any ORL/ATL variation. Reuniting Paolo with his knockdown shooting teammate might pan out and he's, effectively, out of the ATL rotation.
Residual-Heat
Sixth Man
And1: 1,119

Post#10 » by Residual-Heat » Tue Apr 30, 2024 6:46 pm

orlando_joe wrote:i dont see magic wanting this at all fine with wcj no need for cj at his age and contract short older no defense guard pass many other options can go with this would be real far down on list

yeah i dont really want CJ either. Would be maybe fine as a last resort, but even then Im not trading them WCJ. Wouldnt mind sending them the 2024 pick though if we had to trade for him.

Ofcourse I would rather have Murray in this trade, but realistically the Hawks would want a good G/F in return and the Magic cant offer that. So it would have to be a multi team trade and im not sure there will be a player better than Ingram available for trade.
RookieStar
RealGM
And1: 5,916

Post#11 » by RookieStar » Tue Apr 30, 2024 8:42 pm

Just a question... a lot of NOP posters ( especially in GT) kinda hate CJ and his play. So why would we want him?
tiderulz
RealGM
And1: 14,169

Post#12 » by tiderulz » Tue Apr 30, 2024 8:59 pm

lol. All year long, Magic fans, "we need more offense and 3 pt shooting from the guard spot".

Enter CJ, 10 years 20 ppg+, career 40% 3 pt shooter.

Magic fans, he is too old, doesnt play defense.
LightTheBeam
RealGM

Post#13 » by LightTheBeam » Tue Apr 30, 2024 9:30 pm

tiderulz wrote:lol. All year long, Magic fans, "we need more offense and 3 pt shooting from the guard spot".

Ya I mean I get it, feels like on here we get caught up with building "same window" players into a team. But reality is that Paolo/Wagner/Suggs (and eventually hopefully Black) are way ahead of schedule, adding a great vet like CJ seems like a huge win.
Skybox
RealGM
And1: 5,781

Post#14 » by Skybox » Tue Apr 30, 2024 9:33 pm

tiderulz wrote:lol. All year long, Magic fans, "we need more offense and 3 pt shooting from the guard spot".

Correct

I've been stumping for CJ to ORL for a decade, figuring he'd go full Harden with his own team in the East-out of Dame's shadow. NOP got a couple of years of that, but that ship has sailed, imo...he's had a pretty serious back injury and he's getting paid a ton. I love the guy, his intellect, his skillset, but, at this point, he'd be a placeholder, sadly. ORL has one big swing this summer - they need to knock it out of the park.
Jon1798
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,478

Post#15 » by Jon1798 » Tue Apr 30, 2024 9:40 pm

Just for context, CJ low key carried this team for much of the season. Per 36, 22 points, 5.1, 4.8. He shot 9.3 threes per game at 42.9 %! 7th in the league in both makes and percentage.

Hes got two years left on a decreasing contract. They aren’t just throwing him in.
"This post wants out of New Orleans" - Woj
orlando_joe
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,669

Post#16 » by orlando_joe » Tue Apr 30, 2024 10:20 pm

Jon1798 wrote:Just for context, CJ low key carried this team for much of the season. Per 36, 22 points, 5.1, 4.8. He shot 9.3 threes per game at 42.9 %! 7th in the league in both makes and percentage.

Hes got two years left on a decreasing contract. They aren’t just throwing him in.

show his playoff numbers this yr...
whats his age again...
how is his defense...
and declining at 34 and 30 mill a yr...
i dont see positive value? imo
maybe not negative value but not much positive all things considered
tiderulz
RealGM
And1: 14,169

Post#17 » by tiderulz » Tue Apr 30, 2024 10:26 pm

orlando_joe wrote:
Jon1798 wrote:Just for context, CJ low key carried this team for much of the season. Per 36, 22 points, 5.1, 4.8. He shot 9.3 threes per game at 42.9 %! 7th in the league in both makes and percentage.

whats his age again...
how is his defense...

yeah Joe we know. No one is good enough for the Magic, all our players are great, lets just run it all back
Jon1798
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,478

Post#18 » by Jon1798 » Tue Apr 30, 2024 10:45 pm

orlando_joe wrote:

whats his age again...
how is his defense...

It was only four games, but he was 17.8, 4.8 and 4.8. For some reason our entire team decided to shoot terribly this series(certainly partially due to OKC but we were also worst in the playoffs on open shots). BI was a lot worse than CJ was.

He’s 32, and I would say CJ’s defense is underrated honestly. He’s 6’3, and a smart player, not a complete liability. But he’s also definitely not a Herb Jones you want covering a great scorer.

CJ helps you win basketball games. Call his value whatever you would like, the Pels aren’t just trading him for kicks.
"This post wants out of New Orleans" - Woj
NotACat
Veteran
And1: 1,305

Post#19 » by NotACat » Wed May 1, 2024 2:30 pm

I think CJ would be a final option for the Magic if all of their other options don't pan out. He would be a $30M expiring after next season so it wouldn't be hard to trade him later
Magicman125
Rookie
And1: 449

Post#20 » by Magicman125 » Wed May 1, 2024 2:36 pm

CJ is a good backup plan for the Magic this offseason. His DBPM isn't that bad and his DWS is okay, he'd be guarding PGs as Suggs would be our starting 2 guard next to him. He does provide the offense we need and isn't under contract for too long for his age to be a concern to me.

Return to Trades and Transactions