ATL/UTA/DET - All teams try to get better

Moderators: Trader_Joe, loserX, Andre Roberstan, HartfordWhalers, BullyKing, Texas Chuck, MoneyTalks41890, Mamba4Goat, pacers33granger

mct
Sophomore
And1: 17

ATL/UTA/DET - All teams try to get better 

Post#1 » by mct » Tue Apr 30, 2024 6:50 pm

ATL out: Trae Young
ATL in: Collin Sexton, CLE 2025 1st, CLE 2027 1st, MIN 2025 1st

Why for ATL: Sexton is a fantastic SG on offense, and should fit great next to a bigger PG in Murray. The picks give them assets to combine with their tradable salary to round out a team that can at least make the playoffs outright. They also cut a nice amount of salary.

UTA out: Collin Sexton, John Collins, CLE 2025 1st, CLE 2027 1st, MIN 2025 1st, LAL 2027 1st (top 4 protected)
UTA in: Trae Young

Why for UTA: The Jazz renegotiate and extend Lauri and want to build a competitive team around him. Trae fits perfectly next to Lauri on offense, and should help unlock Walker Kessler in the pick and roll. They would still be missing starting wings and defense, but let's assume they could find great fits for Trae on the market with the remaining picks and young players they have. Sensabaugh and a 1st for Caruso? George/Hendricks/Clarkson/1sts for Bridges? Go all in while keeping back their own picks and swaps.

DET out: -
DET in: John Collins, LAL 2027 1st (top 4 protected)

Why for DET: They need a power forward, and get a nice pick for using up their cap space on Collins, who is a real pro but not very exciting.

Edited to fix lakers pick year.
HadAnEffectHere
Sixth Man
And1: 845

Re: ATL/UTA/DET - All teams try to get better 

Post#2 » by HadAnEffectHere » Tue Apr 30, 2024 6:51 pm

This is waaaaaay too much to dump John Collins and I'm the #1 John Collins hater.
SkyHook
Veteran
And1: 1,809

Post#3 » by SkyHook » Tue Apr 30, 2024 7:04 pm

HadAnEffectHere wrote:This is waaaaaay too much to dump John Collins and I'm the #1 John Collins hater.

I don't mind the idea of moving Collins if it makes sense, but I'm not averse to keeping him either. I want no part of Trae Young on the Jazz.
Don’t make it personal, don’t take it personal.

Sellers don’t set market value. Buyers don’t set market value.
Market value only exists when two (or more) parties are in agreement.
babyjax13
RealGM
And1: 14,410

Post#4 » by babyjax13 » Tue Apr 30, 2024 7:11 pm

We don't have the 2025 LAL 1st, we have their 2027 1st. This is not enough for Trae and too much for us to be motivated to dump Collins. I would use #32 in this draft to dump him, or maybe #29.

JazzMatt13 wrote:just because I think aliens probably have to do with JFK, doesn't mean my theory that Jazz will never get Wiggins, isn't true.

JColl
Snakebites
Forum Mod - Pistons
Forum Mod - Pistons
And1: 14,964

Post#5 » by Snakebites » Tue Apr 30, 2024 7:16 pm

This is an easy yes for Detroit.
Godaddycurse
RealGM
And1: 10,448

Post#6 » by Godaddycurse » Tue Apr 30, 2024 7:25 pm

I dont see how Atlanta is trying to get better by trading their best player away for picks
jayjaysee
King of the Trade Board
And1: 5,636

Post#7 » by jayjaysee » Tue Apr 30, 2024 8:22 pm

the Atlanta/Utah part makes me think it’s biased towards Utah. As it’s really bad for Atlanta. But the Detroit part is terrible for Utah.

Interesting deal. Utah has the assets to pay for Trae, easily. Just not doing it here
oldncreaky
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 4,511

Post#8 » by oldncreaky » Tue Apr 30, 2024 9:54 pm

jayjaysee wrote:the Atlanta/Utah part makes me think it’s biased towards Utah. As it’s really bad for Atlanta. But the Detroit part is terrible for Utah.

Interesting deal. Utah has the assets to pay for Trae, easily. Just not doing it here

The Detroit portion could be balanced a bit by making Detroit get the later/worse of the CLE or MIN 2025 picks; DET getting a late FRP for taking on Collins seems closer to fair.

In that case, Atlanta would get the LAL 2027 FRP instead of a late 2025 RFP. That's probably not enough to balance it out for Atlanta, but it's closer.
Vinnie became the Microwave in May 1985, zapping the Celtics in Joe Louis
mct
Sophomore
And1: 17

Post#9 » by mct » Tue Apr 30, 2024 10:08 pm

Thanks for the feedback. I like the idea of pairing Lauri with a real passer like Trae while still having the picks and salary to bring in players that fit and are ready to win. Sounds like the jazz would have to be pretty generous with their picks if they wanted to consolidate.

I still think they should spam picks to get a squad around Lauri. After watching them try to develop three rookies this year and barely getting anywhere, the thought of bringing in three more every year seems like a good way to turn every pick into a bust.
vege
RealGM
And1: 4,294

Post#10 » by vege » Wed May 1, 2024 3:34 am

mct wrote:

Why for DET: They need a power forward, and get a nice pick for using up their cap space on Collins, who is a real pro but not very exciting.

Detroit need a good PF, not one being paid a lot of money and not being starter material. If Detroit is selling cap space for meh assets (or distant ones) again and bad player like Joe Harris/John Collins, things are going to get ugly. Well things are alread ugly so, things will get uglier.

So let's hope Detroit goes a different rout and offer the fans and the league, a better product.
theBigLip
Forum Mod - Pistons
Forum Mod - Pistons
And1: 2,829

Post#11 » by theBigLip » Wed May 1, 2024 5:44 am

vege wrote:
mct wrote:

Detroit need a good PF, not one being paid a lot of money and not being starter material. If Detroit is selling cap space for meh assets (or distant ones) again and bad player like Joe Harris/John Collins, things are going to get ugly. Well things are alread ugly so, things will get uglier.

So let's hope Detroit goes a different rout and offer the fans and the league, a better product.

Totally agree. Pistons have $70M in cap space - need to get at least a couple of legit starters. Collins is a rotation player on a good team.
babyjax13
RealGM
And1: 14,410

Post#12 » by babyjax13 » Wed May 1, 2024 5:59 am

vege wrote:
mct wrote:

Perfectly valid but Collins is worlds better than Joe Harris. He's a very meh starter who is overpaid, not a scrub.

JazzMatt13 wrote:just because I think aliens probably have to do with JFK, doesn't mean my theory that Jazz will never get Wiggins, isn't true.

JColl

Return to Trades and Transactions