Who says no? CHA/PHX

Moderators: Trader_Joe, loserX, Andre Roberstan, HartfordWhalers, BullyKing, Texas Chuck, MoneyTalks41890, Mamba4Goat, pacers33granger

Who says no?

Poll ended at Tue May 7, 2024 7:23 pm

Suns
48%
Hornets
43%
Neither
10%

Total votes: 21

Slim Charless
RealGM
And1: 6,302

Who says no? CHA/PHX 

Post#1 » by Slim Charless » Tue Apr 30, 2024 7:23 pm

This trade was brought up by a Hornet fan and it got me thinking.

Charlotte:

Melo
Grant Williams
Mark Williams
2025 FRP
2 2027 FRPs

Phoenix:

Devin Booker
Nurk

Gives the Hornets a Booker/BMiller/(whoever they take in this yrs draft) core to build around. Also has Mcicic, Bridges and Poku as young players to help. Maybe they add a defender at PG (Caruso?)...and off they go.

For the Suns, they add 2 dirty work guys who play defense in Williams Bros who are young. Melo is a legit PG who fits-when healthy next to Beal and KD. Also gives the team another 3 firsts in years they don't have any. Melo is a MASSIVE injury risk (and so is Mark W for that matter) so the Suns are rolling the dice big time. If it works, the fit seems to be much better than currently designed.

What say you RealGM. Who says no and does anyone need to add?
esvl
Bench Warmer
And1: 389

Re: Who says no? CHA/PHX 

Post#2 » by esvl » Tue Apr 30, 2024 7:39 pm

Some expect that Booker wants to compete every season going forward. This premise alone is a big issue for the OP idea.
Slim Charless
RealGM

Post#3 » by Slim Charless » Tue Apr 30, 2024 7:48 pm

esvl wrote:Some expect that Booker wants to compete every season going forward. This premise alone is a big issue for the OP idea.

Meh. Booker is signed for 5 years or so. He has limited choice in the matter. He isn't a KD/Bron/Curry level star that can pick his team as much.

That said, this would be done if it's apparent that Booker and KD won't work. I'm not 100% sure that's the case. This is just for discussion.
esvl
Bench Warmer
And1: 389

Post#4 » by esvl » Tue Apr 30, 2024 8:01 pm

Slim Charless wrote:
esvl wrote:Some expect that Booker wants to compete every season going forward. This premise alone is a big issue for the OP idea.

Meh. Booker is signed for 5 years or so. He has limited choice in the matter. He isn't a KD/Bron/Curry level star that can pick his team as much.

That said, this would be done if it's apparent that Booker and KD won't work. I'm not 100% sure that's the case. This is just for discussion.

You wanna build a team around an unhappy franchise star? Sounds like a plan.
HornetJail
RealGM
And1: 12,585

Post#5 » by HornetJail » Tue Apr 30, 2024 8:15 pm

Too rich for my tastes, Booker is great and very low-risk but unless Miller blows up into an even better player than him, there isn't much of a future for the resulting team. I think I'd rather let the rebuild play out and hope LaMelo and Mark are able to get healthy in the long run.

But for the giggles... I'd counter with: Melo and #3 for Booker. Take any of Richards, Martin, etc as salary filler if you want. Then there's actually a chance to compete in Charlotte next season. I'd feel terrible about it though, given Melo is arguably the most talented prospect we've ever had in this franchise, but Booker is just so much more reliable.

With that said... if Charlotte is actually willing to trade Melo or Mark Williams right now, the other team is getting a lemon, because there's zero reason whatsoever to trade either one unless the team thinks Melo's ankle or Mark's back is cooked.
formerly KEMBAtheMETEOR
spanishninja
General Manager
And1: 6,173

Post#6 » by spanishninja » Tue Apr 30, 2024 8:31 pm

the way Melo's health is, we wouldn't trade Booker for any package that includes him. Beal in Booker's place is more reasonable.
Slim Charless
RealGM

Post#7 » by Slim Charless » Tue Apr 30, 2024 9:27 pm

HornetJail wrote:Too rich for my tastes, Booker is great and very low-risk but unless Miller blows up into an even better player than him, there isn't much of a future for the resulting team. I think I'd rather let the rebuild play out and hope LaMelo and Mark are able to get healthy in the long run.

But for the giggles... I'd counter with: Melo and #3 for Booker. Take any of Richards, Martin, etc as salary filler if you want. Then there's actually a chance to compete in Charlotte next season. I'd feel terrible about it though, given Melo is arguably the most talented prospect we've ever had in this franchise, but Booker is just so much more reliable.

With that said... if Charlotte is actually willing to trade Melo or Mark Williams right now, the other team is getting a lemon, because there's zero reason whatsoever to trade either one unless the team thinks Melo's ankle or Mark's back is cooked.

That's why you have to include both of them. Phoenix is taking the bigger risk. Both Melo and MarkW are legit possibilities to miss significant time going forward. I also allowed you guys to keep your high (might be #1 overall) pick this year. That way you can select a 3rd dude to pair with Miller and Booker.

Seems fair to me....and if anything Suns are taking the bigger risk here.
amcoolio
Hornets Forum John Hancock
And1: 9,306

Post#8 » by amcoolio » Tue Apr 30, 2024 10:40 pm

LaMelo has zero trade value right now. If he plays 75 games next season at 27/8/6 then this is a worthy trade. I mean a guy seriously said Beal for LaMelo in this thread lol

Until Charlotte proves they aren’t a third world franchise there’s no point in selling low
I don't support domestic violence. Thanks Miles
luciano-davidwesley
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 2,261

Post#9 » by luciano-davidwesley » Wed May 1, 2024 2:28 am

spanishninja wrote:the way Melo's health is, we wouldn't trade Booker for any package that includes him. Beal in Booker's place is more reasonable.

Why would anyone want Beal lol
Texas Chuck
Senior Mod - NBA TnT Forum
And1: 89,709

Post#10 » by Texas Chuck » Wed May 1, 2024 2:32 pm

spanishninja wrote:the way Melo's health is, we wouldn't trade Booker for any package that includes him. Beal in Booker's place is more reasonable.

You know the Hornets aren't going to consider this, nor is Beal going to okay it. Not sure the point other than its amazing for my team to take a chance on getting a PG for a really bad contract who doesn't fit. But we should think of everyone involved generally.
ThunderBolt wrote:I’m going to let some of you in on a little secret I learned on realgm. If you don’t like a thread, not only do you not have to comment but you don’t even have to open it and read it. You’re welcome.
spanishninja
General Manager

Post#11 » by spanishninja » Wed May 1, 2024 4:08 pm

Texas Chuck wrote:

You know the Hornets aren't going to consider this, nor is Beal going to okay it. Not sure the point other than its amazing for my team to take a chance on getting a PG for a really bad contract who doesn't fit. But we should think of everyone involved generally.

when I said more reasonable, it is compared to Booker for Melo. not that it is reasonable.
GoBobs
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,536

Post#12 » by GoBobs » Wed May 1, 2024 4:24 pm

I have never been a booker believer. To me he is a soft robin but you still need batman. He also has resting about to cry face.

I would rather take my chances with LaMelo's health and younger age. Booker has already proven he can't win on a team with a bunch of other good players.
Texas Chuck
And1: 89,709

Post#13 » by Texas Chuck » Wed May 1, 2024 4:47 pm

spanishninja wrote:
Texas Chuck wrote:

when I said more reasonable, it is compared to Booker for Melo. not that it is reasonable.

Gotcha.

In the future though if you feel a counter is unreasonable, let's just not make it. :D

Agree the Suns shouldn't trade Booker for Melo+stuff unless they were big believers in Miller I guess, but even then it doesn't make sense unless they are also punting on KD. But I'd try everything to shore up this core before declaring defeat. Suns had a disappointing playoffs but trying to trade places with the Hornets seems even worse.
ThunderBolt wrote:I’m going to let some of you in on a little secret I learned on realgm. If you don’t like a thread, not only do you not have to comment but you don’t even have to open it and read it. You’re welcome.
Slim Charless
RealGM

Post#14 » by Slim Charless » Wed May 1, 2024 4:59 pm

amcoolio wrote:LaMelo has zero trade value right now. If he plays 75 games next season at 27/8/6 then this is a worthy trade. I mean a guy seriously said Beal for LaMelo in this thread lol

Until Charlotte proves they aren’t a third world franchise there’s no point in selling low

I think you guys are making out better as Booker is defined and a multiple time all pro. Melo would need to hit his peak to get to Book's level. The health of him makes it a stark bet. The reason why I posted this is because the Suns, have backed themselves into a corner with the KD/Beal trades. Doing so, means that they need to roll the dice on something in order to make this work. Booker, is their best chip and by sending him to CHA-a team that stars normally would not consider, it gives that team more motivation to make the trade happen. He's locked in for a number of years and actually spent his high school years playing in the south so he might not mind it. You guys make the right pick this yr with that lotto pick you have, and you'll have something.

From our side, adding in there the Williams Bros, is needed as PHX needs dirty work defenders who are younger on this team. Picks are obviously included in deals like this-but as I said, not this year's high lotto pick you have.
spanishninja
General Manager

Post#15 » by spanishninja » Wed May 1, 2024 5:06 pm

Texas Chuck wrote:
spanishninja wrote:
Texas Chuck wrote:

Gotcha.

In the future though if you feel a counter is unreasonable, let's just not make it. :D

Agree the Suns shouldn't trade Booker for Melo+stuff unless they were big believers in Miller I guess, but even then it doesn't make sense unless they are also punting on KD. But I'd try everything to shore up this core before declaring defeat. Suns had a disappointing playoffs but trying to trade places with the Hornets seems even worse.

my post was mainly sarcasm, as in "even beal for melo would be more reasonable"
psman2
General Manager
And1: 4,938

Post#16 » by psman2 » Wed May 1, 2024 5:47 pm

Does Booker get off the plane?

While in theory this will elevate Charlotte to a respectable play in team does it really give them much hope above that into the future? Booker will be able to see the future projections too and calls up Butler and Harden for tips to get traded as fast as he can.

Return to Trades and Transactions