The Jazz gotta move Lauri

Moderators: Trader_Joe, loserX, Andre Roberstan, HartfordWhalers, BullyKing, Texas Chuck, MoneyTalks41890, Mamba4Goat, pacers33granger

babyjax13
RealGM
And1: 14,389

Re: The Jazz gotta move Lauri 

Post#61 » by babyjax13 » Wed May 1, 2024 10:10 pm

AingesBurner wrote:
babyjax13 wrote:
AingesBurner wrote:
Have you lived or been to San Antonio? Who’s the coach? The old man that yells at clouds will be gone soon. I think you think you know more than what you do.

Luka will go the team willing to pay the most.

Which will not be Utah because OKC and San Antonio have better assets.

You don’t know that either… Utah could have a top 3 pick in 2025 (the year Luka is most likely traded), and OKC will be a top 3 in the west and if Wemby is as good as people say he is, San Antonio will be at the end of the lottery or out of it. You or only looking at the here and now.

Assuming our pick never conveys to OKC Utah has 13 1sts (11 unprotected, 2 protected) and 2 swaps through 2030. The teams we have picks from are relatively good with great young players EXCEPT for Los Angeles (who is still good but probably will not be in 2027 - unfortunately, this pick is protected). So, the upside is in our picks which would be low if we added Luka. Our best prospects are Keyonte George and Taylor Hendricks, neither of which looks franchise-altering at the moment but both of whom have value.

San Antonio has 12 1sts (9 unprotected, 3 protected) including Dallas' 2030 1st (which would be very valuable in this scenario) and two from Atlanta who is in a horrible position moving forward. They also have 2 swaps including 1 with Atlanta (who, again, is bad). They also have Devin Vassell who is a better prospect than George/Hendricks + Sochan who is a nice prospect too (but not a better one).

Oklahoma City has so many picks I am not going to bother counting them, but this includes loosely protected (top-5) or unprotected 1sts from Houston and Philadelphia along with a boatload of protected picks and really prospects. I am sure they would part with Jalen Williams to get Luka.

Houston and Brooklyn can also put together really competitive packages with high upside picks (Houston has Brooklyn's picks, Brooklyn has Phoenix's picks).

The only way Utah will have the best offer is if it becomes clear that whoever is going to be picked first in 2025 is a generational prospect - possible, but unlikely. But you have been harping on "Utah will get Luka" and "Utah has the best assets for Luka" since Ainge was hired and IMO, that's pretty clearly not true. Utah could have an extremely lucky break and suddenly have a compelling offer, but as things stand now - no, it is not that close.

I think if we were trading Lauri and our choices were between the best assets from SAS, OKC, or UTA that Utah's offer would be third on your list.

JazzMatt13 wrote:just because I think aliens probably have to do with JFK, doesn't mean my theory that Jazz will never get Wiggins, isn't true.

JColl
Onus
RealGM
And1: 5,361

Post#62 » by Onus » Wed May 1, 2024 10:16 pm

Jazz interested in Kuminga + Podz deal?
Most 4th Quarter Points in Final since 1991
1995 Shaquille O'Neal 11.5
2000 Shaquille O'Neal 11.5 (61.1% TS)
2015 Stephen Curry 10.8 (75.1% TS)
1997 Michael Jordan 10.7 (55.1% TS)
1998 Michael Jordan 10.6 (50.6% TS)
2011 Dirk Nowitzki 10.3 (68.0% TS)
DonaldSanders
Lead Assistant
And1: 7,209

Post#63 » by DonaldSanders » Wed May 1, 2024 11:17 pm

Onus wrote:Jazz interested in Kuminga + Podz deal?

Yeah I'm curious what the resident Jazz experts think of GSW assets.

Young players:
Kuminga, Podz, TJD, Moody

After the draft 3 picks can be traded with the '30 pick only being 1-20 eligible due to the Washington top 20 protected deal.
AingesBurner
RealGM
And1: 3,746

Post#64 » by AingesBurner » Wed May 1, 2024 11:36 pm

DonaldSanders wrote:

Yeah I'm curious what the resident Jazz experts think of GSW assets.

Young players:
Kuminga, Podz, TJD, Moody

After the draft 3 picks can be traded with the '30 pick only being 1-20 eligible due to the Washington top 20 protected deal.

Not highly, on par with the Lakers. No real blue chips or tasty picks.
AingesBurner
RealGM

Post#65 » by AingesBurner » Wed May 1, 2024 11:39 pm

babyjax13 wrote:
AingesBurner wrote:
babyjax13 wrote:Which will not be Utah because OKC and San Antonio have better assets.

You don’t know that either… Utah could have a top 3 pick in 2025 (the year Luka is most likely traded), and OKC will be a top 3 in the west and if Wemby is as good as people say he is, San Antonio will be at the end of the lottery or out of it. You or only looking at the here and now.

Assuming our pick never conveys to OKC Utah has 13 1sts (11 unprotected, 2 protected) and 2 swaps through 2030. The teams we have picks from are relatively good with great young players EXCEPT for Los Angeles (who is still good but probably will not be in 2027 - unfortunately, this pick is protected). So, the upside is in our picks which would be low if we added Luka. Our best prospects are Keyonte George and Taylor Hendricks, neither of which looks franchise-altering at the moment but both of whom have value.

San Antonio has 12 1sts (9 unprotected, 3 protected) including Dallas' 2030 1st (which would be very valuable in this scenario) and two from Atlanta who is in a horrible position moving forward. They also have 2 swaps including 1 with Atlanta (who, again, is bad). They also have Devin Vassell who is a better prospect than George/Hendricks + Sochan who is a nice prospect too (but not a better one).

Oklahoma City has so many picks I am not going to bother counting them, but this includes loosely protected (top-5) or unprotected 1sts from Houston and Philadelphia along with a boatload of protected picks and really prospects. I am sure they would part with Jalen Williams to get Luka.

Houston and Brooklyn can also put together really competitive packages with high upside picks (Houston has Brooklyn's picks, Brooklyn has Phoenix's picks).

The only way Utah will have the best offer is if it becomes clear that whoever is going to be picked first in 2025 is a generational prospect - possible, but unlikely. But you have been harping on "Utah will get Luka" and "Utah has the best assets for Luka" since Ainge was hired and IMO, that's pretty clearly not true. Utah could have an extremely lucky break and suddenly have a compelling offer, but as things stand now - no, it is not that close.

I think if we were trading Lauri and our choices were between the best assets from SAS, OKC, or UTA that Utah's offer would be third on your list.

Salesman sell… ATL could improve with creative leadership. I also stated that it will take on stellar assets such as a top 3 pick in a good draft to sway
the mavericks and Utah has a better chance of doing that right now versus OKC or SAS.
jayjaysee
King of the Trade Board
And1: 5,616

Post#66 » by jayjaysee » Wed May 1, 2024 11:49 pm

AingesBurner wrote:
babyjax13 wrote:
AingesBurner wrote:

Salesman sell… ATL could improve with creative leadership. I also stated that it will take on stellar assets such as a top 3 pick in a good draft to sway
the mavericks and Utah has a better chance of doing that right now versus OKC or SAS.

Utah won 9 more games than SAS this year.

And SAS looked like they were trying, while Utah ugly tanked for 2-3 months.. If Utah keeps their young vets (which seems the preferred option) how are they more likely to finish in the top 3 than SAS?
SkyHook
Veteran
And1: 1,802

Post#67 » by SkyHook » Wed May 1, 2024 11:53 pm

babyjax13 wrote:

I've said since Gobert & Mitchell were dealt that, while I expect the MIN picks to be late ones, I wouldn't be surprised if the CLE picks end up higher simply because I didn't expect Mitchell to extend there. If he turns down an extension this summer and the Cavs get the vibe that he will likely leave in free agency in 2025, then chances are high that they deal him this July/August. If they get a pick centric return, their picks owed to Utah become quite attractive. It will be interesting to watch and see.
Don’t make it personal, don’t take it personal.

Sellers don’t set market value. Buyers don’t set market value.
Market value only exists when two (or more) parties are in agreement.
babyjax13
RealGM
And1: 14,389

Post#68 » by babyjax13 » Thu May 2, 2024 12:06 am

I would not be.

JazzMatt13 wrote:just because I think aliens probably have to do with JFK, doesn't mean my theory that Jazz will never get Wiggins, isn't true.

JColl
Bentley1225
RealGM
And1: 1,574

Post#69 » by Bentley1225 » Thu May 2, 2024 12:43 am

Depends a) where in draft they land and if they draft a 4 and b) if they can land a rookie contract wing with enough upside then I say they should deal him.

OKC makes most sense to me.

Giddey + K. Williams + #12.
For
Markannen + #29

Jazz get 2 lottery picks, Giddey can start at the 3 and Williams can play behind Collins at the 4.
HartfordWhalers
Senior Mod - 76ers and NBA TnT Forum
Senior Mod - 76ers and NBA TnT Forum
And1: 20,653

Post#70 » by HartfordWhalers » Thu May 2, 2024 12:48 am

For what it’s worth, I have Lauri as less valuable than either Mitchell or Gobert was, so will be interested to see both if he moves but also if so, for what he moves.
HadAnEffectHere
Sixth Man
And1: 843

Post#71 » by HadAnEffectHere » Thu May 2, 2024 12:54 am

HartfordWhalers wrote:For what it’s worth, I have Lauri as less valuable than either Mitchell or Gobert was, so will be interested to see both if he moves but also if so, for what he moves.

His value is weird because it's likely heavily depressed by CBA issues and a series of fake injuries used to tank for picks, but he has extremely strong hypothetical value to the 76ers in very specific situations due to his small salary.

But this involves Morey and Ainge coming to an agreement and doing it before Philly uses their cap space so it's unlikely.
AingesBurner
RealGM

Post#72 » by AingesBurner » Thu May 2, 2024 1:57 am

Bentley1225 wrote:Depends a) where in draft they land and if they draft a 4 and b) if they can land a rookie contract wing with enough upside then I say they should deal him.

OKC makes most sense to me.

Giddey + K. Williams + #12.
For
Markannen + #29

Jazz get 2 lottery picks, Giddey can start at the 3 and Williams can play behind Collins at the 4.

That’s terrible for Utah. #12 in this draft is worth 20-25 in a good draft.
LarsV8
General Manager
And1: 3,933

Post#73 » by LarsV8 » Thu May 2, 2024 2:35 am

AingesBurner wrote: #12 in this draft is worth 20-25 in a good draft.

That is not really accurate.

There are real sure fire guys in the 1-4 slots like there usually are in drafts, but 5-15 is pretty similar to any other draft.
Dan Z
RealGM
And1: 7,286

Post#74 » by Dan Z » Thu May 2, 2024 7:50 am

HadAnEffectHere wrote:
jazzfan1971 wrote:I think the deal with Lauri is that it all depends on the offers. If the Jazz get an offer too good to pass up, they will move him before an extension. If one doesn't materialize, they try to extend him and shoot for next year. Or maybe never.

I doubt that there is a PLAN to move him at any point. But rather a price point where moving him becomes the correct course of action.

I mean, there kind of has to be a plan to eventually move him as the Jazz have struggled to get stars in trades (striking out on Porzingis, Jrue, and Dejounte) and they lack high end upside for any other player on the Jazz other than long-shot upside for Collin Sexton. If the Jazz manage to get a star in the 2025 draft, it will probably be by 2029 that this star is ready to win and then Lauri will be past his prime.

If the Jazz tank again next year (which they did this past trade deadline) I could understand if Markkanen gets frustrated and asks to be traded.
zimpy27
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 37,322

Post#75 » by zimpy27 » Thu May 2, 2024 9:03 am

Donuts83 wrote:What would a lakers deal look like

Reaves, Rui, #17, LAL27FRP(unprotect), LAL29FRP, LAL31FRP

For

Lauri, Clarkson
"Let's play some basketball!" - Fergie
Wolveswin
Head Coach
And1: 2,550

Post#76 » by Wolveswin » Thu May 2, 2024 11:25 am

Hornets can produce a package Ainge would have great interest in.

#3 or better - easy sell to fan base getting top 3 pick (even in this draft) for Markkanen.

Flyer youth in Nick Smith Jr.

Hornets have a couple sexy owed 1sts from Mavs and Heat.

And of course any Hornets pick Ainge can negotiate.

Some combo of that is the best deal for Markkanen (and Sexton).

Mark Williams
Markkanen
Miller
Sexton
Ball
SkyHook
Veteran
And1: 1,802

Post#77 » by SkyHook » Thu May 2, 2024 2:13 pm

zimpy27 wrote:

For

Lauri, Clarkson

If all of the picks are fully unprotected, then this proposal would absolutely have to be considered.
Don’t make it personal, don’t take it personal.

Sellers don’t set market value. Buyers don’t set market value.
Market value only exists when two (or more) parties are in agreement.
Canadafan
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,494

Post#78 » by Canadafan » Thu May 2, 2024 3:05 pm

HadAnEffectHere wrote:I would assume we just do the exact same thing again (compete until the deadline, trade off Sexton, and then tank while faking injuries for Markkanen) next year before full tanking in the 2025 offseason unless Sexton breaks out and becomes a genuine star.

Outside of Philly and Detroit, it's not clear who will be breaking down the door for Markkanen and I kind of hate Detroit's assets.

Ivey+2024top5 pick?
mg
General Manager
And1: 4,047

Post#79 » by mg » Thu May 2, 2024 3:53 pm

zimpy27 wrote:

For

Lauri, Clarkson

Sounds about right. If Utah doesn't miraculously land a star early in the offseason (hint: they won't) the best thing they can do for Lauri is to trade him to a playoff team. The Lakers are not going to sweat him being in the last year of his contract either. I doubt they are even sweating Lebron in FA this summer.

The Jazz need a superstar and there will be several with that type ceiling in the next 2 drafts. They can't sit there with Lauri on the roster and try to tank only for a #8 pick again or it could be a long ride on the treadmill. Ainge isn't there for a treadmill ride.
Onus
RealGM
And1: 5,361

Post#80 » by Onus » Thu May 2, 2024 4:19 pm

babyjax13 wrote:

I would not be.

I mean I would add 2 1sts as well. 26 and 28

Really JK and Podz would just be a starting point.
Most 4th Quarter Points in Final since 1991
1995 Shaquille O'Neal 11.5
2000 Shaquille O'Neal 11.5 (61.1% TS)
2015 Stephen Curry 10.8 (75.1% TS)
1997 Michael Jordan 10.7 (55.1% TS)
1998 Michael Jordan 10.6 (50.6% TS)
2011 Dirk Nowitzki 10.3 (68.0% TS)

Return to Trades and Transactions