The Jazz gotta move Lauri

Moderators: Trader_Joe, loserX, Andre Roberstan, HartfordWhalers, BullyKing, Texas Chuck, MoneyTalks41890, Mamba4Goat, pacers33granger

amcoolio
Hornets Forum John Hancock
And1: 9,303

Re: The Jazz gotta move Lauri 

Post#21 » by amcoolio » Wed May 1, 2024 1:19 am

How about the #1 overall pick. Think he’s a perfect fit with LaMelo, Miller, and Mark Williams
I don't support domestic violence. Thanks Miles
AingesBurner
RealGM
And1: 3,746

Post#22 » by AingesBurner » Wed May 1, 2024 2:20 am

amcoolio wrote:How about the #1 overall pick. Think he’s a perfect fit with LaMelo, Miller, and Mark Williams

In the 25 draft? Sure.
AingesBurner
RealGM
And1: 3,746

Post#23 » by AingesBurner » Wed May 1, 2024 2:20 am

Yeah. Meh picks and prospects is an easy pass.
Wolveswin
Head Coach
And1: 2,554

Post#24 » by Wolveswin » Wed May 1, 2024 2:47 am

I still think this is the best outcome…

To Nets: Markkanen + Mitchell

To Cavs: Bridges + Cam + 27 76ers 1st

To Jazz: Simmons + Nets Youth + 3x Suns 1sts

Ainge gets the sexiest picks owed in the business.

Nets get Markkanen to backfill the need to involve Bridges to get Mitchell out of Cleveland early.
SkyHook
Veteran
And1: 1,809

Post#25 » by SkyHook » Wed May 1, 2024 3:09 am

Wolveswin wrote:I still think this is the best outcome…

To Nets: Markkanen + Mitchell

To Cavs: Bridges + Cam + 27 76ers 1st

To Jazz: Simmons + Nets Youth + 3x Suns 1sts

Ainge gets the sexiest picks owed in the business.

Nets get Markkanen to backfill the need to involve Bridges to get Mitchell out of Cleveland early.

Can the Nets trade the 2025 Suns FRP since they don't own a 2026 FRP? Without it this wouldn't have legs. With it somehow and it's Markannen & Collins for Simmons, Clowney, and Whitehead—yeah maybe. Leaves the Jazz with ample capspace this summer and next.
Don’t make it personal, don’t take it personal.

Sellers don’t set market value. Buyers don’t set market value.
Market value only exists when two (or more) parties are in agreement.
Donuts83
Sophomore
And1: 88

Post#26 » by Donuts83 » Wed May 1, 2024 3:33 am

Lauri is a free agent this year. Those type of packages are unrealistic for a player coming up in free agency. Lauri will get to choose where he wants to go. You traded him a year too late.
Gert42
Senior
And1: 214

Post#27 » by Gert42 » Wed May 1, 2024 3:47 am

Except Lauri has little incentive to wait until next off-season especially if he commands 35-40 million. He’ll resign with the Jazz and probably decide whether he wants to stay at the end of the next season.

The Jazz may have less leverage right now, but they won’t trade him until after he signs an extension unless it’s a silly deal.
babyjax13
RealGM
And1: 14,410

Post#28 » by babyjax13 » Wed May 1, 2024 3:55 am

Gert42 wrote:Except Lauri has little incentive to wait until next off-season especially if he commands 35-40 million. He’ll resign with the Jazz and probably decide whether he wants to stay at the end of the next season.

The Jazz may have less leverage right now, but they won’t trade him until after he signs an extension unless it’s a silly deal.

Exactly, because of the renegotiate and extend option, this is not a normal scenario with an expiring star on a bad team. It's very unlikely he leaves 20+ million on the table this year to have optionally in the offseason.

JazzMatt13 wrote:just because I think aliens probably have to do with JFK, doesn't mean my theory that Jazz will never get Wiggins, isn't true.

JColl
jazzfan1971
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 8,137

Post#29 » by jazzfan1971 » Wed May 1, 2024 7:32 am

I think the deal with Lauri is that it all depends on the offers. If the Jazz get an offer too good to pass up, they will move him before an extension. If one doesn't materialize, they try to extend him and shoot for next year. Or maybe never.

I doubt that there is a PLAN to move him at any point. But rather a price point where moving him becomes the correct course of action.
"Thibs called back and wanted more picks," said Jorge Sedano. "And Pat Riley, literally, I was told, called him a mother-bleeper and hung up the phone."
Astaluego
Sophomore
And1: 111

Post#30 » by Astaluego » Wed May 1, 2024 7:38 am

I agree with the idea of ​​changing it...however I would try trade him for the highest possible pick this year...Hornets/Pistons or Spurs for a top 3 or top 5 pick + young...

Lauri+Sexton for Hornets FRP+future Mavs FRP+Bertans+Martin...

Lauri+Sexton for Ivey+Pistons FRP...

Lauri for Keldon+Spurs FRP....
Topic Selection...

Continue with
Kessler+Pick lottery they have for Grizzlies FRP..
Select Risacher or C Williams
Old Mike Lorenzo
pipfan
RealGM
And1: 3,384

Post#31 » by pipfan » Wed May 1, 2024 9:05 am

I think SA makes a ton of sense-gotta see where the lottery plays out
mg
General Manager
And1: 4,054

Post#32 » by mg » Wed May 1, 2024 3:00 pm

Astaluego wrote:I agree with the idea of ​​changing it...however I would try trade him for the highest possible pick this year...Hornets/Pistons or Spurs for a top 3 or top 5 pick + young...

Lauri+Sexton for Hornets FRP+future Mavs FRP+Bertans+Martin...

Lauri+Sexton for Ivey+Pistons FRP...

Lauri for Keldon+Spurs FRP....
Topic Selection...

Continue with
Kessler+Pick lottery they have for Grizzlies FRP..
Select Risacher or C Williams

San Antonio makes a ton of sense assuming they don't go after someone like Trae. Spurs would also throw in another asset to acquire Sexton in the same deal. Sexton and Collins pick and rolls and lobs were a staple in that Jazz offense during their January hot streak. I think the Spurs have a guy who could thrive playing next to both Lauri and Sexton.

Seeing Wemby next to those 2 for at least the next handful of years in the WC would be a tough sell to the Jazz fan base who has grown to love both of them after the Donovan trade.
HadAnEffectHere
Sixth Man
And1: 845

Post#33 » by HadAnEffectHere » Wed May 1, 2024 3:08 pm

jazzfan1971 wrote:I think the deal with Lauri is that it all depends on the offers. If the Jazz get an offer too good to pass up, they will move him before an extension. If one doesn't materialize, they try to extend him and shoot for next year. Or maybe never.

I doubt that there is a PLAN to move him at any point. But rather a price point where moving him becomes the correct course of action.

I mean, there kind of has to be a plan to eventually move him as the Jazz have struggled to get stars in trades (striking out on Porzingis, Jrue, and Dejounte) and they lack high end upside for any other player on the Jazz other than long-shot upside for Collin Sexton. If the Jazz manage to get a star in the 2025 draft, it will probably be by 2029 that this star is ready to win and then Lauri will be past his prime.
WinterSoldier
Junior
And1: 193

Post#34 » by WinterSoldier » Wed May 1, 2024 3:33 pm

I keep hearing that teams will wait until he's a free agent. This almost never happens in reality teams don't wait for free agency with valuable players. If a team wants a player they sign them, and almost always players resign with the team that trades for them. Players are humans and like being wanted. Also, waiting for free agency doesn't work unless you are a handful of teams or way overpay a player.
HartfordWhalers
Senior Mod - 76ers and NBA TnT Forum
And1: 20,653

Post#35 » by HartfordWhalers » Wed May 1, 2024 4:11 pm

I think moving Lauri before he is extended and again trade eligible makes more sense for Utah than waiting. The ability to tank harder alone should be worth the 'extra' an extended Lauri can return.

And I'm not sold Lauri doesn't get a higher offer as is versus later.
Philly should offer more for him now, as now it could be a big 4 of Embiid/Maxey/Lauri/max FA. Waiting a year means giving up one of the 3 others most likely for the cap math, as well as another year of Embiid's prime.
LAL should offer more now for same reasons with fitting with Lebron/AD. And honestly, if i'm OKC I offer at least as much now knowing I can have him for a year to integrate etc.
babyjax13
RealGM
And1: 14,410

Post#36 » by babyjax13 » Wed May 1, 2024 4:56 pm

HartfordWhalers wrote:I think moving Lauri before he is extended and again trade eligible makes more sense for Utah than waiting. The ability to tank harder alone should be worth the 'extra' an extended Lauri can return.

Philly should offer more for him now, as now it could be a big 4 of Embiid/Maxey/Lauri/max FA. Waiting a year means giving up one of the 3 others most likely for the cap math, as well as another year of Embiid's prime.
LAL should offer more now for same reasons with fitting with Lebron/AD. And honestly, if i'm OKC I offer at least as much now knowing I can have him for a year to integrate etc.

Philadelphia can't offer any of their own picks until 2029 because of the 2025 and 2027 picks they've traded. Otherwise they have the 2028 LAC 1st. I don't see a team waiting 3 years for the return on their star player and I don't think what Philly can offer is likely better than what an extended Lauri is worth. I'm perfectly happy to get a boatload for him unexpected, but I don't think many teams would be willing to take that risk.

JazzMatt13 wrote:just because I think aliens probably have to do with JFK, doesn't mean my theory that Jazz will never get Wiggins, isn't true.

JColl
Residual-Heat
Sixth Man
And1: 1,117

Post#37 » by Residual-Heat » Wed May 1, 2024 5:06 pm

Of the teams mentioned, I only really like the fit with Embiid in philly.
Donuts83
Sophomore
And1: 88

Post#38 » by Donuts83 » Wed May 1, 2024 5:06 pm

What would a lakers deal look like
HartfordWhalers
And1: 20,653

Post#39 » by HartfordWhalers » Wed May 1, 2024 5:25 pm

babyjax13 wrote:
HartfordWhalers wrote:I think moving Lauri before he is extended and again trade eligible makes more sense for Utah than waiting. The ability to tank harder alone should be worth the 'extra' an extended Lauri can return.

Philadelphia can't offer any of their own picks until 2029 because of the 2025 and 2027 picks they've traded. Otherwise they have the 2028 LAC 1st. I don't see a team waiting 3 years for the return on their star player and I don't think what Philly can offer is likely better than what an extended Lauri is worth. I'm perfectly happy to get a boatload for him unexpected, but I don't think many teams would be willing to take that risk.

I just fully disagree with the entire premise of that. If you are trading Lauri, honestly you should be going for as much pick variance and long dated unprotected picks as possible. You very likely aren't getting close unprotected picks that will also be good (I guess maybe OKC?), because the teams that will have high picks are usually bad and not in the market for win now help.
And Utah would really need to hit on a cornerstone player before they need extra picks and help, and that can take multiple dips in the draft to get lotto luck.

All in and ignoring what draft expert says what about what year, I would be prioritizing say 2029 over 2026 for Utah is full on tanking and trading Lauri (I know everyone supposedly loves 2025 so I wrote 2026 even as I said ignoring draft relative strength).

As for what Philly can offer, they obviously can offer a pick of their own before 2029. They can offer 2024 pick 16.
Course, I'm not really sure why getting a pick from a team that would have Embiid Maxey max fa and Lauri in 2025 would be all that attractive, but you are right they couldn't. That said, they could get a swap on Philly's pick if it is in the top 6 somehow, if somehow what you are banking on is Philly be awful despite the trade. Similarly for 2026 swap if Philly is in the top 6. Or if Philly isn't in the top 6 and wasn't in the top 6 in 2025 either.

All in the Philly max offer has a lot more than you seem to be suggesting imo. There are different ways to slice it with a '31 pick and playing with '29 etc but something like:
2024 pick 16
2025 swap (only around if Philly is bottom 6)
2026 swap (around entirely if Philly was top 24 in '24, or bottom 6 two years in a row)
2026 worst of a bunch of LAC, Hou and OKC
2027 swap if Philly is bottom 8
2028 best of LAC and Phi unprotected. If Phi is bottom 8 in '27 and not bottom 8 in '28 this would just be LAC unprotected.
2029 swap of best of Phi and LAC with LAC top 3 protected
2030 unprotected
2031 swap unprotected

Gives a bunch of unprotected picks and swaps, as well as a mid and a likely late pick. I can look up where I did it differently, but I believe it can be 5 picks with 3 unprotected iirc or more like above.

Either way, I think Philly absolutely has more than the value of Lauri personally, but even if the Philly future and the LAC future are so believed in that they don't, I think the basic premises remain that:
1) trading Lauri now will return roughly as much as later
2) trading Lauri now will allow better tanking
3) the return for trading Lauri should focus on future assets versus more current assets, all things equal.
esvl
Bench Warmer
And1: 389

Post#40 » by esvl » Wed May 1, 2024 5:31 pm

I don’t believe Memphis is in the Lauri sweepstakes. We wouldnt be able to resign him.

Return to Trades and Transactions