Is 5/207 inevitable for Maxey?

Moderators: Trader_Joe, loserX, Andre Roberstan, HartfordWhalers, BullyKing, Texas Chuck, MoneyTalks41890, Mamba4Goat, pacers33granger

Laimbeer
RealGM
And1: 14,143

Is 5/207 inevitable for Maxey? 

Post#1 » by Laimbeer » Wed May 1, 2024 2:06 am

He is really making the case.
Dr Positivity
RealGM
And1: 15,570

Re: Is 5/207 inevitable for Maxey? 

Post#2 » by Dr Positivity » Wed May 1, 2024 2:25 am

This seems pretty easy
Skybox
RealGM
And1: 5,769

Post#3 » by Skybox » Wed May 1, 2024 10:55 am

Yes! Stud
Mr Peanut
Starter
And1: 2,401

Post#4 » by Mr Peanut » Wed May 1, 2024 11:29 am

There is no universe where Philly doesn't offer that on the first day of free agency.
Mavrelous
Forum Mod - Mavericks
Forum Mod - Mavericks
And1: 10,680

Post#5 » by Mavrelous » Wed May 1, 2024 11:37 am

What he makes all NBA, do PHI give the supermax?
blicka wrote:Can't wait to see doncic on an island vs jimmy butler,paul george or kahwi leonard and those weak ass moves that work in europe getting shut down
Colbinii
RealGM
And1: 20,149

Post#6 » by Colbinii » Wed May 1, 2024 1:17 pm

Top 30-40 players make this, yes.

Fairly straightforward.
tsherkin wrote:Locked due to absence of adult conversation.

penbeast0 wrote:Guys, if you don't have anything to say, don't post.

Circa 2018
E-Balla wrote:LeBron is Jeff George.

Circa 2022
G35 wrote:Lebron is not that far off from WB in trade value.
DNP-Old
Senior
And1: 331

Post#7 » by DNP-Old » Wed May 1, 2024 2:08 pm

Easy yes with a PO on the 5th year.
"Be quick, don't hurry" -John Wooden-

"No one is more hated than he who speaks the truth" -Plato-
giberish
RealGM
And1: 5,888

Post#8 » by giberish » Wed May 1, 2024 2:24 pm

Mr Peanut wrote:There is no universe where Philly doesn't offer that on the first day of free agency.

For cap space reasons they'll want to not officially offer this until they've used their cap space this summer. But everyone will know that it's getting offered.
Texas Chuck
Senior Mod - NBA TnT Forum
And1: 89,590

Post#9 » by Texas Chuck » Wed May 1, 2024 2:29 pm

so on draft night I said the Sixers made a mistake and should have drafted Tyrell Terry(so was doubly pleased when the little Mavs then did draft Terry). I'm pretty good at identifying NBA talent I think.....

And yes, easy call to max him right out the gate.
ThunderBolt wrote:I’m going to let some of you in on a little secret I learned on realgm. If you don’t like a thread, not only do you not have to comment but you don’t even have to open it and read it. You’re welcome.
gswhoops
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 3,843

Post#10 » by gswhoops » Wed May 1, 2024 2:31 pm

If the Sixers are dumb enough to not offer him the max someone else absolutely will. So yes.
jayjaysee
King of the Trade Board
And1: 5,615

Post#11 » by jayjaysee » Wed May 1, 2024 2:55 pm

Yeah, the only way he doesn’t get a true max is if he isn’t willing to wait for Morey’s cap games and signs an offer sheet. Then Philly still matches and he costs himself some money..
HornetJail
RealGM
And1: 12,584

Post#12 » by HornetJail » Wed May 1, 2024 3:40 pm

jayjaysee wrote:Yeah, the only way he doesn’t get a true max is if he isn’t willing to wait for Morey’s cap games and signs an offer sheet. Then Philly still matches and he costs himself some money..

just brainstorming- if he signs a 3+1 with another team and gets matched, goes on to have a couple all-NBA seasons, is he then eligible to sign a 35% supermax extension in 2026-27? the projected cap for 2027 is $188M that year, and the 35% max would be 5/$382M.
formerly KEMBAtheMETEOR
jayjaysee
King of the Trade Board

Post#13 » by jayjaysee » Wed May 1, 2024 3:51 pm

HornetJail wrote:
jayjaysee wrote:Yeah, the only way he doesn’t get a true max is if he isn’t willing to wait for Morey’s cap games and signs an offer sheet. Then Philly still matches and he costs himself some money..

just brainstorming- if he signs a 3+1 with another team and gets matched, goes on to have a couple all-NBA seasons, is he then eligible to sign a 35% supermax extension in 2026-27? the projected cap for 2027 is $188M that year, and the 35% max would be 5/$382M.

If that’s what he wants, Philly will give him a 3 year max with a player option with 8 percent raises instead of 5.

There’s no way you tell him to go get an offer like he’s Ayton… They only didn’t lock him up because there’s a Paul George (or outside shot at Pascal etc) out there..

If he is impatient, he only costs himself money really. Even if he wants to bet on himself getting a super max as you painted, it still costs him those 3 years..
Godaddycurse
RealGM
And1: 10,434

Post#14 » by Godaddycurse » Wed May 1, 2024 4:17 pm

jayjaysee wrote:
HornetJail wrote:

If that’s what he wants, Philly will give him a 3 year max with a player option with 8 percent raises instead of 5.

There’s no way you tell him to go get an offer like he’s Ayton… They only didn’t lock him up because there’s a Paul George (or outside shot at Pascal etc) out there..

If he is impatient, he only costs himself money really. Even if he wants to bet on himself getting a super max as you painted, it still costs him those 3 years..

He more than makes those 3% raise/yr back by getting an earlier supermax extension if he can make all nba. But i agree with you he should take the guranteed 5 yr max now
Rapcity_11
RealGM
And1: 9,539

Post#15 » by Rapcity_11 » Wed May 1, 2024 4:52 pm

jayjaysee wrote:
HornetJail wrote:

There's no way Philly agrees to only 3 guaranteed years. He's either getting a 5 years max or a 4+1.
Texas Chuck
And1: 89,590

Post#16 » by Texas Chuck » Wed May 1, 2024 4:55 pm

Rapcity_11 wrote:
jayjaysee wrote:
HornetJail wrote:just brainstorming- if he signs a 3+1 with another team and gets matched, goes on to have a couple all-NBA seasons, is he then eligible to sign a 35% supermax extension in 2026-27? the projected cap for 2027 is $188M that year, and the 35% max would be 5/$382M.

There's no way Philly agrees to only 3 guaranteed years. He's either getting a 5 years max or a 4+1.

I mean if he says to Philly I'm going to sign an offer sheet with Detroit and make sure they make it as team unfriendly as possible, they would.

But he's not going to do that. He's going to take a 4+1 with Philly that will be agreed to and then completed once Philly does other business. Fun to talk in theory, but he's getting the most money he can and Philly is getting the most years.
ThunderBolt wrote:I’m going to let some of you in on a little secret I learned on realgm. If you don’t like a thread, not only do you not have to comment but you don’t even have to open it and read it. You’re welcome.
gswhoops
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 3,843

Post#17 » by gswhoops » Wed May 1, 2024 5:20 pm

Texas Chuck wrote:
Rapcity_11 wrote:
jayjaysee wrote:

I mean if he says to Philly I'm going to sign an offer sheet with Detroit and make sure they make it as team unfriendly as possible, they would.

But he's not going to do that. He's going to take a 4+1 with Philly that will be agreed to and then completed once Philly does other business. Fun to talk in theory, but he's getting the most money he can and Philly is getting the most years.

+1

Don't forget this Maxey's first big contract. He's going to want to lock in as much guaranteed money (to him at least) as possible.
jayjaysee
King of the Trade Board

Post#18 » by jayjaysee » Wed May 1, 2024 5:28 pm

Rapcity_11 wrote:
jayjaysee wrote:
HornetJail wrote:just brainstorming- if he signs a 3+1 with another team and gets matched, goes on to have a couple all-NBA seasons, is he then eligible to sign a 35% supermax extension in 2026-27? the projected cap for 2027 is $188M that year, and the 35% max would be 5/$382M.

So in the hypothetical that he wants the 3 and 1.. if Philly refuses to give him that.. A handful of teams will give him that, and Philly will match. And all that will have happened is you slightly annoyed a star and an agent, I guess?

I agree Philly really pushes for the true max and hopes they can avoid the fifth year player option.

But the only reason he’s not already on that contract, is Philly and him have some sort of understanding of keeping the option to retool in free agency open. So he’ll wait and get his max.

I think we all are agreeing he’s worth a max and Philly gives it to him.. Just a very unlikely hypothetical was presented..
Rapcity_11
RealGM
And1: 9,539

Post#19 » by Rapcity_11 » Thu May 2, 2024 1:45 pm

jayjaysee wrote:
Rapcity_11 wrote:
jayjaysee wrote:

So in the hypothetical that he wants the 3 and 1.. if Philly refuses to give him that.. A handful of teams will give him that, and Philly will match. And all that will have happened is you slightly annoyed a star and an agent, I guess?

I agree Philly really pushes for the true max and hopes they can avoid the fifth year player option.

But the only reason he’s not already on that contract, is Philly and him have some sort of understanding of keeping the option to retool in free agency open. So he’ll wait and get his max.

I think we all are agreeing he’s worth a max and Philly gives it to him.. Just a very unlikely hypothetical was presented..

I don't even think a handful of teams would offer him a 3+1. Why would teams with cap-space waste valuable time on a 0% outcome? Like, the Pistons need to focus on their team, not signing pointless offer sheets.

And no, screwing up Philly's cap-space plans by making them act sooner and/or giving Maxey the chance to get out of Philly one year sooner isn't a reason to do it either.

The bottom line is that if for whatever reason Maxey wants a 3+1, Philly wouldn't offer it. They would 100% hold out for 5 years or worst case a 4+1.
jayjaysee
King of the Trade Board

Post#20 » by jayjaysee » Thu May 2, 2024 2:28 pm

Rapcity_11 wrote:
jayjaysee wrote:
Rapcity_11 wrote:

I don't even think a handful of teams would offer him a 3+1. Why would teams with cap-space waste valuable time on a 0% outcome? Like, the Pistons need to focus on their team, not signing pointless offer sheets.

And no, screwing up Philly's cap-space plans by making them act sooner and/or giving Maxey the chance to get out of Philly one year sooner isn't a reason to do it either.

The bottom line is that if for whatever reason Maxey wants a 3+1, Philly wouldn't offer it. They would 100% hold out for 5 years or worst case a 4+1.

You seem very confident in this hypothetical scenario...

But teams do offer max contracts to players even when their current teams float they will match any contract..

Return to Trades and Transactions