Is 5/207 inevitable for Maxey?

Moderators: Trader_Joe, loserX, Andre Roberstan, HartfordWhalers, BullyKing, Texas Chuck, MoneyTalks41890, Mamba4Goat, pacers33granger

Rapcity_11
RealGM
And1: 9,539

Re: Is 5/207 inevitable for Maxey? 

Post#21 » by Rapcity_11 » Thu May 2, 2024 2:33 pm

jayjaysee wrote:
Rapcity_11 wrote:
jayjaysee wrote:
So in the hypothetical that he wants the 3 and 1.. if Philly refuses to give him that.. A handful of teams will give him that, and Philly will match. And all that will have happened is you slightly annoyed a star and an agent, I guess?

I agree Philly really pushes for the true max and hopes they can avoid the fifth year player option.

But the only reason he’s not already on that contract, is Philly and him have some sort of understanding of keeping the option to retool in free agency open. So he’ll wait and get his max.

I think we all are agreeing he’s worth a max and Philly gives it to him.. Just a very unlikely hypothetical was presented..

I don't even think a handful of teams would offer him a 3+1. Why would teams with cap-space waste valuable time on a 0% outcome? Like, the Pistons need to focus on their team, not signing pointless offer sheets.

And no, screwing up Philly's cap-space plans by making them act sooner and/or giving Maxey the chance to get out of Philly one year sooner isn't a reason to do it either.

The bottom line is that if for whatever reason Maxey wants a 3+1, Philly wouldn't offer it. They would 100% hold out for 5 years or worst case a 4+1.

You seem very confident in this hypothetical scenario...

But teams do offer max contracts to players even when their current teams float they will match any contract..

Yeah, it happens for guys like Ayton and Eric Gordon. Not guys at the level of Maxey.

Return to Trades and Transactions