How insane is this? LeBron for Mitchell

Moderators: Trader_Joe, loserX, Andre Roberstan, HartfordWhalers, BullyKing, Texas Chuck, MoneyTalks41890, Mamba4Goat, pacers33granger

jazzfan1971
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 8,139

How insane is this? LeBron for Mitchell 

Post#1 » by jazzfan1971 » Thu May 2, 2024 6:16 pm

Lakers decide to grab a younger star player who will pair well with AD.
Cleveland feels that they can't retain Mitchell so they make this move to bring Bron back home.

Maybe Cleveland thinks that they can get a better deal from NY or open market? But, I would think that bringing LeBron back home would have a lot of appeal.

I'm sure some weird S&T shenanigans would need to be involved. Maybe that kills this before we even get started talking. But maybe there could be a path forward?
"Thibs called back and wanted more picks," said Jorge Sedano. "And Pat Riley, literally, I was told, called him a mother-bleeper and hung up the phone."
RCM88x
RealGM
And1: 18,981

Re: How insane is this? LeBron for Mitchell 

Post#2 » by RCM88x » Thu May 2, 2024 6:24 pm

Unless Lebron somehow acquires a 51% or greater stake in team ownership there is no chance he would agree to play for the Cavs again.

LookToShoot wrote:Melo is the only player that makes the Rockets watchable for the basketball purists. Otherwise it would just be three point shots and pick n roll.
jazzfan1971
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#3 » by jazzfan1971 » Thu May 2, 2024 6:27 pm

RCM88x wrote:Unless Lebron somehow acquires a 51% or greater stake in team ownership there is no chance he would agree to play for the Cavs again.

I am not sure why you say this is so. Has he said this?
"Thibs called back and wanted more picks," said Jorge Sedano. "And Pat Riley, literally, I was told, called him a mother-bleeper and hung up the phone."
tidho
General Manager
And1: 3,088

Post#4 » by tidho » Thu May 2, 2024 6:30 pm

it would be incredibly short sighted for CLE

the reason Mitchell specifically is potentially on the market is that he can walk within a year and the team would get nothing. trading him for a guy that likely would only play for only one year before we lost him for nothing... doesn't seem ideal.
jazzfan1971
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#5 » by jazzfan1971 » Thu May 2, 2024 6:36 pm

tidho wrote:it would be incredibly short sighted for CLE

the reason Mitchell specifically is potentially on the market is that he can walk within a year and the team would get nothing. trading him for a guy that likely would only play for only one year before we lost him for nothing... doesn't seem ideal.

It would be a short term move by necessity. But, I could see a team being enamored with the idea of making one title run over maybe 4-5 2nd round and out type years.

I think
Garland
Strus
LeBron
Mobley
Allen
would be a true contender. And there is some depth there as well. Maybe I'm crazy.
RCM88x
RealGM
And1: 18,981

Post#6 » by RCM88x » Thu May 2, 2024 6:43 pm

jazzfan1971 wrote:
RCM88x wrote:Unless Lebron somehow acquires a 51% or greater stake in team ownership there is no chance he would agree to play for the Cavs again.

No he has not said this verbatim. But I'll ask you these questions:

Why would he agree to play for a franchise that gave up on him in 2018 (6 years ago) and decided to build towards the future instead of move assets for win now players?

Why would he agree to play for a franchise that he already didn't trust enough to extend with in the summer of 2017 or 2018?

Why would he play for a franchise that has no ability to attract free agents?

Why would he play for a franchise that has no current championship caliber players?

Why would he play for a franchise that has minimal future assets to improve the current roster?

Why would he play for a franchise that explicitly went against his wishes and fired David Griffin in 2017?

Why would he play for a franchise that explicitly went against his wishes and traded Kyrie Irving in 2017?

Why would he play for a franchise located in Cleveland Ohio when he currently plays in Los Angeles California?

Why would he play for a franchise owned by a person who has consistently said negative things about him since 2010, made a concerted effort to purge the organization of people Lebron liked, and made a concerted effort to look past Lebron's window on the team despite him still being on the roster?

It at least made a little sense in 2014... Cavs had a lot of assets, a talented player in Irving, and Lebron felt like there was unfinished business in Cleveland and regretted leaving on bad terms. Nothing like that exists currently. Might as well replace Cleveland with Indiana, New Orleans or Atlanta.

LookToShoot wrote:Melo is the only player that makes the Rockets watchable for the basketball purists. Otherwise it would just be three point shots and pick n roll.
BK_2020
RealGM
And1: 14,526

Post#7 » by BK_2020 » Thu May 2, 2024 6:48 pm

Isn't Lebron opting out
brackdan70
RealGM
And1: 8,643

Post#8 » by brackdan70 » Thu May 2, 2024 7:09 pm

It’s all the way insane. Posters above have explained why.
Sign here
165bows
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 11,617

Post#9 » by 165bows » Thu May 2, 2024 7:20 pm

jazzfan1971 wrote:Lakers decide to grab a younger star player who will pair well with AD.
Cleveland feels that they can't retain Mitchell so they make this move to bring Bron back home.

Maybe Cleveland thinks that they can get a better deal from NY or open market? But, I would think that bringing LeBron back home would have a lot of appeal.

I'm sure some weird S&T shenanigans would need to be involved. Maybe that kills this before we even get started talking. But maybe there could be a path forward?

Idk but it's a cool idea.
jbk1234
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 32,557

Post#10 » by jbk1234 » Thu May 2, 2024 7:49 pm

RCM88x wrote:
jazzfan1971 wrote:

No he has not said this verbatim. But I'll ask you these questions:

Why would he agree to play for a franchise that gave up on him in 2018 (6 years ago) and decided to build towards the future instead of move assets for win now players?

Why would he agree to play for a franchise that he already didn't trust enough to extend with in the summer of 2017 or 2018?

Why would he play for a franchise that has no ability to attract free agents?

Why would he play for a franchise that has no current championship caliber players?

Why would he play for a franchise that has minimal future assets to improve the current roster?

Why would he play for a franchise that explicitly went against his wishes and fired David Griffin in 2017?

Why would he play for a franchise that explicitly went against his wishes and traded Kyrie Irving in 2017?

Why would he play for a franchise located in Cleveland Ohio when he currently plays in Los Angeles California?

Why would he play for a franchise owned by a person who has consistently said negative things about him since 2010, made a concerted effort to purge the organization of people Lebron liked, and made a concerted effort to look past Lebron's window on the team despite him still being on the roster?

It at least made a little sense in 2014... Cavs had a lot of assets, a talented player in Irving, and Lebron felt like there was unfinished business in Cleveland and regretted leaving on bad terms. Nothing like that exists currently. Might as well replace Cleveland with Indiana, New Orleans or Atlanta.

There's a lot of revisionist history here. LBJ told the Cavs early in the summer of 2017 that he wouldn't be extending. They had a trade lined up for PG, PG was willing to extend if LBJ would also extend, and LBJ said no.

It was only after that happened that Griffin parted ways with the Cavs.

It was only after that happened that Kyrie demanded out.

Neither of those things caused LBJ to leave. Quite the opposite. He had at least one star ready to join forces with him in CLE (Windhorst reported CPJ would've been traded for Love as well). He wanted to go to L.A. and had his bags packed.

As far as why LBJ would welcome a trade to Cleveland, the answer is because the Cavs without Mitchell are a considerably better team than the Lakers without LBJ. What I don't think there's a good answer for is why would Cleveland want to trade Mitchell for a 40-year old LBJ who wants at least $100M guaranteed over 2 years and a NTC. That's the Lakers problem.
cbosh4mvp wrote:
Jarret Allen isn’t winning you anything. Garland won’t show up in the playoffs. Mobley is a glorified dunk man. Mitchell has some experience but is a liability on defense. To me, the Cavs are a treadmill team.
JJ_PR
Analyst
And1: 2,879

Post#11 » by JJ_PR » Thu May 2, 2024 7:57 pm

I'd prefer not to do this. LeBron is a free agent, he can come without the Cavs having to gut the roster.
jayjaysee
King of the Trade Board
And1: 5,650

Post#12 » by jayjaysee » Thu May 2, 2024 8:00 pm

I think Cleveland would be better off taking a step back and taking a youth/draft pick return for Mitchell over this. I think if Mitchell asks out, you just accept it and reset around Garland/Monley timeline.LBJ gives them a one year window a year or two too early.
BK_2020
RealGM
And1: 14,526

Post#13 » by BK_2020 » Thu May 2, 2024 8:02 pm

jayjaysee wrote:I think Cleveland would be better off taking a step back and taking a youth/draft pick return for Mitchell over this. I think if Mitchell asks out, you just accept it and reset around Garland/Monley timeline.LBJ gives them a one year window a year or two too early.

Cleveland don't have their picks until 2030 and they have a very solid core. They'd be crazy to take a step back.
jayjaysee
King of the Trade Board
And1: 5,650

Post#14 » by jayjaysee » Thu May 2, 2024 8:12 pm

BK_2020 wrote:
jayjaysee wrote:I think Cleveland would be better off taking a step back and taking a youth/draft pick return for Mitchell over this. I think if Mitchell asks out, you just accept it and reset around Garland/Monley timeline.LBJ gives them a one year window a year or two too early.

Cleveland don't have their picks until 2030 and they have a very solid core. They'd be crazy to take a step back.

They have a solid core and should be retooling around their core age. They have team control and can afford a play-in year while “Kuminga” or whoever and the additional picks come in and develop with Garland/Mobley.

Most things are a step back from Mitchell though and I’d just try to keep him obviously..
pipfan
RealGM
And1: 3,384

Post#15 » by pipfan » Thu May 2, 2024 8:26 pm

I think it's a great idea, for both teams. The Cavs become a favorite in the East, and the Lakers get younger
toooskies
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,725

Post#16 » by toooskies » Fri May 3, 2024 12:53 am

The Lakers have very little leverage if LeBron wants to leave. He could go to OKC, Philly, or Orlando if he wants a better competitive situation than LA. More places if he's willing to take a pay cut.

If he wants to come back to Cleveland that's great and because LA treats its stars well, maybe they let him do his farewell tour from Cleveland. But LA isn't getting much back.

(If they did? Garland would be the better fit for both sides, and LeBron should be enough to get Mitchell to extend.)
Wolveswin
Head Coach
And1: 2,565

Post#17 » by Wolveswin » Fri May 3, 2024 2:42 am

toooskies wrote:The Lakers have very little leverage if LeBron wants to leave. He could go to OKC, Philly, or Orlando if he wants a better competitive situation than LA. More places if he's willing to take a pay cut.

If he wants to come back to Cleveland that's great and because LA treats its stars well, maybe they let him do his farewell tour from Cleveland. But LA isn't getting much back.

(If they did? Garland would be the better fit for both sides, and LeBron should be enough to get Mitchell to extend.)

This.

Garland + LeVert

FOR

James + Reaves

And call be crazy, I think Lakers add to that. Even if just the meh 2024 Lakers 1st.
jbk1234
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#18 » by jbk1234 » Fri May 3, 2024 2:44 am

toooskies wrote:The Lakers have very little leverage if LeBron wants to leave. He could go to OKC, Philly, or Orlando if he wants a better competitive situation than LA. More places if he's willing to take a pay cut.

Gilbert will fire Altman on the spot if he comes to him with a Garland for LBJ trade (and he'd be right to do so). I'd also really question Mitchell's intelligence if that's what got him to extend.
cbosh4mvp wrote:
Jarret Allen isn’t winning you anything. Garland won’t show up in the playoffs. Mobley is a glorified dunk man. Mitchell has some experience but is a liability on defense. To me, the Cavs are a treadmill team.
toooskies
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,725

Post#19 » by toooskies » Fri May 3, 2024 3:20 am

jbk1234 wrote:

Gilbert will fire Altman on the spot if he comes to him with a Garland for LBJ trade (and he'd be right to do so). I'd also really question Mitchell's intelligence if that's what got him to extend.

LeBron plus Mitchell plus Garland is too many ball handlers and not enough glue. Obviously you'd want more from a long term piece like Garland, but his value is probably pretty low after the season he's had and the Cavs would likely be better with Strus out there in terms of fit.

Maybe a bigger deal with Garland moving elsewhere (NOP?) and a young asset or two back to Cleveland along with LeBron.
jbk1234
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#20 » by jbk1234 » Fri May 3, 2024 4:02 am

toooskies wrote:
jbk1234 wrote:

LeBron plus Mitchell plus Garland is too many ball handlers and not enough glue. Obviously you'd want more from a long term piece like Garland, but his value is probably pretty low after the season he's had and the Cavs would likely be better with Strus out there in terms of fit.

Maybe a bigger deal with Garland moving elsewhere (NOP?) and a young asset or two back to Cleveland along with LeBron.

LBJ is 40-years old and at the very end of his career. Value aside, it's a mistake to make team building moves around him. If he wanted to load manage, run the second unit, and take a salary that was a little more than commensurate with that role with the understanding he'd earn that money in the playoffs, okay. But none of that is going to happen.

He's wants a fully guaranteed contract at max money for at least two years and a NTC. He's going to want to start. He's not going to play defense in the regular season. He's going to walk in and annoint himself leader of the locker room. He's going to pressure the F.O. to make all-in trades. He's also going to continue to regess. I
hope the Cavs have no desire to trade real value for any of that.

Frankly, just giving him the contract he's asking for is really, really risky and the NBA is currently littered with examples of it backfiring.
cbosh4mvp wrote:

Return to Trades and Transactions