Denver/Indiana or Denver/Charlote draft day trade

Moderators: Trader_Joe, loserX, Andre Roberstan, HartfordWhalers, BullyKing, Texas Chuck, MoneyTalks41890, Mamba4Goat, pacers33granger

BelgradeNugget
Veteran
And1: 3,046

Denver/Indiana or Denver/Charlote draft day trade 

Post#1 » by BelgradeNugget » Thu May 2, 2024 10:48 pm

Draft day, Reggie Jackson opts in

1st trade

Denver trades: Zake Nnaji ($32/4), Reggie Jackson ($5.2/1), 2024 #28 pick
Indiana trades: TJ McConnell ($9.3/1), Isaiah Jackson ($4.4/1 QO $6.4)

Why for Denver - Denver upgrades 2 positions of need for 1st round pick
Why for Indiana - with Pascal Siakam, Myles Turner, Jarace Walker, Obi Toppin and Jalen Smith (resigned) Indiana doesn't need Isaiah Jackson. With Tyrese Haliburton and Andrew Nembhard no need for TJ McConnell. Indiana takes Zake Nnaji (32/4) for 1st rd pick they don't have in this draft

2nd trade

Charlotte trades: Vasilije Micic ($7.7/1, $8.1 PO), Nick Richards (10/2)

Why for Charlotte - Charlotte trades player they like (Vasilije Micic) for 1st round pick. They still have younger backup PG in Tre Mann on rookie contract. I think Charlotte fans want upgrade from Nick Richards, but as a bench player, playing 15 minutes behind Jokic he could be fine.
Godaddycurse
RealGM
And1: 10,452

Re: Denver/Indiana or Denver/Charlote draft day trade 

Post#2 » by Godaddycurse » Thu May 2, 2024 11:02 pm

1st trade is illegal, McConnell makes too much
BelgradeNugget
Veteran

Post#3 » by BelgradeNugget » Thu May 2, 2024 11:12 pm

Godaddycurse wrote:1st trade is illegal, McConnell makes too much

Next season they make
Zake $8.9, Reggie $5.2
McConnell, $9.3, Jackson $4.4
I'm not sure about aprons, rn Denver is just under 2nd. Denver gets back less money than what they send
louc1970
Senior
And1: 176

Post#4 » by louc1970 » Thu May 2, 2024 11:34 pm

Not sure I would trade Micic from Charlotte given Ball’s injury history
Godaddycurse
RealGM
And1: 10,452

Post#5 » by Godaddycurse » Fri May 3, 2024 12:20 am

BelgradeNugget wrote:

Next season they make
Zake $8.9, Reggie $5.2
I'm not sure about aprons, rn Denver is just under 2nd. Denver gets back less money than what they send

Caldwell pope will get a new deal which will bring them over the 2nd apron.
Scoot McGroot
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 11,164

Post#6 » by Scoot McGroot » Fri May 3, 2024 12:28 am

BelgradeNugget wrote:

Next season they make
Zake $8.9, Reggie $5.2

Aggregating Zeke and Reggie together would hard cap Denver at the 2nd apron. And McConnell makes more than any player Denver sends out, so they’d have to match at 110%, which would hard cap them at the first apron.
Regardless, I doubt Indy would have interest in eating Nnaji’s contract right now, not giving up McConnell? For much the same reasons Nnaji can’t get on the floor in the playoffs for Denver, he wouldn’t get on the floor for Indy, who would prefer to re sign Obi Toppin for only a little more in salary than Naji would get?
basketballwacko2
RealGM
And1: 3,963

Post#7 » by basketballwacko2 » Fri May 3, 2024 1:19 am

BelgradeNugget wrote:Draft day, Reggie Jackson opts in

1st trade

Why for Indiana - with Pascal Siakam, Myles Turner, Jarace Walker, Obi Toppin and Jalen Smith (resigned) Indiana doesn't need Isaiah Jackson. With Tyrese Haliburton and Andrew Nembhard no need for TJ McConnell. Indiana takes Zake Nnaji (32/4) for 1st rd pick they don't have in this draft

2nd trade

Why for Charlotte - Charlotte trades player they like (Vasilije Micic) for 1st round pick. They still have younger backup PG in Tre Mann on rookie contract. I think Charlotte fans want upgrade from Nick Richards, but as a bench player, playing 15 minutes behind Jokic he could be fine.

No I don't think Indiana would be interested in that.
HornetJail
RealGM
And1: 12,585

Post#8 » by HornetJail » Fri May 3, 2024 3:56 am

honestly prefer to just keep Micic than give him away in a swap of a bunch of fringe stuff, and I don't particularly want to be on the hook for 4 years of Zeke Nnaji
formerly KEMBAtheMETEOR
BelgradeNugget
Veteran

Post#9 » by BelgradeNugget » Fri May 3, 2024 7:38 am

It looks like Nnaji + 1st rd pick in 2024 can't bring back solid backup PG, but I'm interested in this just from legality stand point

Godaddycurse wrote:Caldwell pope will get a new deal which will bring them over the 2nd apron.

I know KCP's new deal will bring them over 2nd apron but if they do this trade before resigning KCP they still operate as 1st apron team, right? Or is there something more to this apron things?

Scoot McGroot wrote:
BelgradeNugget wrote:

Next season they make
Zake $8.9, Reggie $5.2

Aggregating Zeke and Reggie together would hard cap Denver at the 2nd apron. And McConnell makes more than any player Denver sends out, so they’d have to match at 110%, which would hard cap them at the first apron.

"Aggregating Zeke and Reggie together would hard cap Denver at the 2nd apron." - don't undrestand this part. Let's say they do Raggie for Jackson, Denver is still 1st apron team after trade, with $0.8 mil less on the books. Than they do Zake + 1st for McConnell. 110% of Zake's salary is $9.7 and McConnell's salary fits right into it. Is this posible then?
Dan Z
RealGM
And1: 7,289

Post#10 » by Dan Z » Fri May 3, 2024 7:53 am

1st trade

2nd trade

No need for TJ McConnell? He just had 20 points, 9 assists, 4 steals, and 2 rebounds against the Bucks. He also did a good job during the regular season when Haliburton was injured.
BelgradeNugget
Veteran

Post#11 » by BelgradeNugget » Fri May 3, 2024 8:17 am

Dan Z wrote:

1st trade

2nd trade

No need for TJ McConnell? He just had 20 points, 9 assists, 4 steals, and 2 rebounds against the Bucks. He also did a good job during the regular season when Haliburton was injured.

:) I never said he is not good, he is, that is why I would like to see him in Denver.

Question here is Indiana's roster construction. Starters are Hali, Pascal, Turner and Nesmith. Who is 5th? Is it Mathurin, or they will try to find some 3nD guard to protect Haliburton on defense? Nembhard then goes to bench and becomes the best backup point guard in the league who plays 25+ minutes off the bench. In this case there are no quality minutes for TJ McConnell and he loses his value.

I made a trade proposal for Goga Bitadze and Orlando fans jumped on me because he was starting at the time. Then WCJ come back from injury, Mo Wagner kept his job and Goga is glued to the bench since. What is his value now, and how can Orlando benefit from having him? Sometimes it is better to trade 3rd PG or 3rd C if they are overqulified for the job because they have more value to other teams.
Dan Z
RealGM
And1: 7,289

Post#12 » by Dan Z » Fri May 3, 2024 8:20 am

BelgradeNugget wrote:
Dan Z wrote:

1st trade

2nd trade

:) I never said he is not good, he is, that is why I would like to see him in Denver.

Question here is Indiana's roster construction. Starters are Hali, Pascal, Turner and Nesmith. Who is 5th? Is it Mathurin, or they will try to find some 3nD guard to protect Haliburton on defense? Nembhard then goes to bench and becomes the best backup point guard in the league who plays 25+ minutes off the bench. In this case there are no quality minutes for TJ McConnell and he loses his value.

I made a trade proposal for Goga Bitadze and Orlando fans jumped on me because he was starting at the time. Then WCJ come back from injury, Mo Wagner kept his job and Goga is glued to the bench since. What is his value now, and how can Orlando benefit from having him? Sometimes it is better to trade 3rd PG or 3rd C if they are overqulified for the job because they have more value to other teams.

That's fair, but I don't think what the Nuggets give up in this trade really does much for Indiana.
Scoot McGroot
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#13 » by Scoot McGroot » Fri May 3, 2024 10:30 am

BelgradeNugget wrote:It looks like Nnaji + 1st rd pick in 2024 can't bring back solid backup PG, but I'm interested in this just from legality stand point

Godaddycurse wrote:Caldwell pope will get a new deal which will bring them over the 2nd apron.

I know KCP's new deal will bring them over 2nd apron but if they do this trade before resigning KCP they still operate as 1st apron team, right? Or is there something more to this apron things?

Nope. If Denver makes a deal that wouldn’t be allowed to them if they were above the second apron, they would hard cap themselves and be prevented from going over that second apron. A team over the first apron can only salary match at 100% of the salary they send out, so if Denver makes a deal where they salary match at over 100%, they would hard cap themselves at the first apron for the upcoming season.
Scoot McGroot wrote:
BelgradeNugget wrote:Next season they make
Zake $8.9, Reggie $5.2

"Aggregating Zeke and Reggie together would hard cap Denver at the 2nd apron." - don't undrestand this part. Let's say they do Raggie for Jackson, Denver is still 1st apron team after trade, with $0.8 mil less on the books. Than they do Zake + 1st for McConnell. 110% of Zake's salary is $9.7 and McConnell's salary fits right into it. Is this posible then?

Splitting the deal up would partially work for aggregation purposes. Yes, Jackson for Jackson would legally work as Reggie makes more than Isaiah and the salary matching would be below 100%, with no aggregating. However, Zeke for McConnell would require salary matching at over 100%, which is now not allowed for a team over the first apron, so if Denver did that, they would have to end the trade below the first apron, and would be hard capped at the first apron level for the entirety of the season, and they would not be able to go over it for ANY reason. Denver would have to clear about $13m in salary to get below the first apron line in that trade to be able to legally do it. If KCP opts out, that works, but then Denver would have two roster spots to fill, and only about $3.6m in space to the hardcap to fill the two required roster spots, meaning they can’t resign KCP, and would likely have enough for one league minimum player signed at their late 2nd round pick and one vet minimum guy, and that’s it for the season. No injury fill ins until late in the season,etc.
Scoot McGroot
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#14 » by Scoot McGroot » Fri May 3, 2024 10:33 am

BelgradeNugget wrote:Question here is Indiana's roster construction. Starters are Hali, Pascal, Turner and Nesmith. Who is 5th? Is it Mathurin, or they will try to find some 3nD guard to protect Haliburton on defense? Nembhard then goes to bench and becomes the best backup point guard in the league who plays 25+ minutes off the bench. In this case there are no quality minutes for TJ McConnell and he loses his value..

Nembhard and McConnell play next to each other a ton. Nembhard has started at the 2 this year, and Indy has freely played lineups with any combo of Haliburton, Nembhard, McConnell, Nesmith, Mathurin, and Sheppard at any of the 1-3 spots. With Indy playing uptempo and starters playing 30-32 minutes, there’s plenty of playing time for all of them right now.
xxSnEaKyPxx
RealGM
And1: 15,643

Post#15 » by xxSnEaKyPxx » Fri May 3, 2024 6:03 pm

BelgradeNugget wrote:Why for Denver - Denver upgrades 2 positions of need for 1st round pick

So the Pacers downgrade two players for a super late pick in a terrible draft?
BelgradeNugget
Veteran

Post#16 » by BelgradeNugget » Fri May 3, 2024 6:22 pm

xxSnEaKyPxx wrote:
BelgradeNugget wrote:Why for Denver - Denver upgrades 2 positions of need for 1st round pick

Well, what is the right price for your 3rd best guard (or 4th depending what you expect from Ben Sheppard) and 5th best big? 5 unprotected 1st and 3 swaps? If late 1st is not enough, ok I undrestand but you won't get better offer for them, and there is good chance neither will be on your roster after next season. BTW Reggie Jackson is upgrade over Isaiah Jackson.

With 1st rd pick, Reggie's expiring + something more you add, you could try to find 3nD guard your team needs, right?
xxSnEaKyPxx
RealGM
And1: 15,643

Post#17 » by xxSnEaKyPxx » Fri May 3, 2024 6:28 pm

BelgradeNugget wrote:Well, what is the right price for your 3rd best guard (or 4th depending what you expect from Ben Sheppard) and 5th best big? 5 unprotected 1st and 3 swaps? If late 1st is not enough, ok I undrestand but you won't get better offer for them, and there is good chance neither will be on your roster after next season. BTW Reggie Jackson is upgrade over Isaiah Jackson.

With 1st rd pick, Reggie's expiring + something more you add, you could try to find 3nD guard your team needs, right?

I can tell there isn't going to be any serious discussion here, so I'mma just bow out now.
Helsbyte
Senior
And1: 357

Post#18 » by Helsbyte » Fri May 3, 2024 6:29 pm

BelgradeNugget wrote:
xxSnEaKyPxx wrote:

Well, what is the right price for your 3rd best guard (or 4th depending what you expect from Ben Sheppard) and 5th best big? 5 unprotected 1st and 3 swaps? If late 1st is not enough, ok I undrestand but you won't get better offer for them, and there is good chance neither will be on your roster after next season. BTW Reggie Jackson is upgrade over Isaiah Jackson.

I think you missed the point of this trade makes Indiana worse in the long run and neither R. Jackson nor Nanji or the 24 1st rd pick makes up the difference.
Texas Chuck
Senior Mod - NBA TnT Forum
Senior Mod - NBA TnT Forum
And1: 89,708

Post#19 » by Texas Chuck » Fri May 3, 2024 6:36 pm

BelgradeNugget wrote:
xxSnEaKyPxx wrote:

Please don't be reductive. Pacers fans can not like you deal without your claiming they are demanding unreasonable return.

Some disconnects which might help you:

They don't see Jackson as an upgrade on McConnell
They don't want to take on the Nnaji contract and a late 1st for taking that on isn't great value even if they were willing to take on the dead weight, but they are a good team so unlikely to want to do that.
ThunderBolt wrote:I’m going to let some of you in on a little secret I learned on realgm. If you don’t like a thread, not only do you not have to comment but you don’t even have to open it and read it. You’re welcome.
BelgradeNugget
Veteran

Post#20 » by BelgradeNugget » Fri May 3, 2024 6:41 pm

Helsbyte wrote:
BelgradeNugget wrote:
xxSnEaKyPxx wrote:So the Pacers downgrade two players for a super late pick in a terrible draft?

I think you missed the point of this trade makes Indiana worse in the long run and neither R. Jackson nor Nanji or the 24 1st rd pick makes up the difference.

Well Ok, you don't want Zake/Reggie + 1st. Sometimes nothing is better than bad trade, as you see it OK. Forget trade offer.
But this is honest question - do you see McConell as part of your future, do you resign him after 2024-25. What contract?
The same question for Isaiah Jackson

Return to Trades and Transactions