Instant Reaction: What Do The 76ers Do This Off-Season?

Moderators: Trader_Joe, loserX, Andre Roberstan, HartfordWhalers, BullyKing, Texas Chuck, MoneyTalks41890, Mamba4Goat, pacers33granger

gswhoops
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 3,851

Re: Instant Reaction: What Do The 76ers Do This Off-Season? 

Post#41 » by gswhoops » Fri May 3, 2024 3:37 pm

GutUNC wrote:
JustBuzzin wrote:
NYG wrote:
Where does Embiid make sense? What is even his value right now?

Knicks for Robinson/Knicks picks

Embiid, the reigning MVP, was the frontrunner for MVP before injuring his knee this season. His injury history is obviously a valid concern but why would a team who was clearly top-5 in the league when healthy declare an era "over" and push the rebuild button around an offer that does nothing but make them a treadmill team with a large quantity of low quality picks? He's still clearly in his prime.

I'm not even speaking about this offer in particular, just moving him right now for something that isn't the type of Godfather offer OKC could put together if they so chose (but likely wouldn't)? What's the upside other then generating RealGM conversation?

Yeah. Plan A is land a LeBron/PG13/Siakam type whale in FA, plan B is add 3-4 high-level role players around Maxey/Embiid, etc.

Trade Embiid is like Plan Z.
Wolveswin
Head Coach
And1: 2,565

Post#42 » by Wolveswin » Fri May 3, 2024 4:01 pm

Crazy thought…

Embiid + Picks

FOR

Giannis + Lopez
the_process
RealGM
And1: 8,811

Post#43 » by the_process » Sat May 4, 2024 12:08 am

PhillyNj wrote:
BK_2020 wrote:They are one of the worst free agent draws who happened to open up massive cap space in one of the worst free agent years. I guess they could overpay for DDR or something? Or they could do something funny and sign Fultz, Covington, and trade for Simmons.
I can't imagine PG13 wanting to go to Philadelphia over the Clippers unless Ballmer really lowballs him.

why? The clippers have won nothing and there getting old. No reason to think they will ever win a title with the currant roster.

Because he's a Celtic fan. Ignore.
the_process
RealGM
And1: 8,811

Post#44 » by the_process » Sat May 4, 2024 12:11 am

HadAnEffectHere wrote:Plan A: Get Paul George in FA and then trade all the picks for Lauri, re-sign Oubre (space MLE) and Lowry and Batum (vet mins for both), grab Drummond for a minimum

Plan B: Trade all the picks for Lauri, sign Malik Monk, some other role playing wing (Fontecchio? Derrick Jones Jr?), re-sign Oubre (space MLE) and Lowry and Batum (vet mins for both), grab Drummond for a minimum

Plan C: Trade Embiid for Chet Holmgren and picks

This is pretty much where I'm at, give or take the exact details.
jayjaysee
King of the Trade Board
And1: 5,650

Post#45 » by jayjaysee » Sat May 4, 2024 12:14 am

Yeah, there’s so many different good “plan B” combinations that you can look at the finished roster and think it’s enough better than years team..

No one really trades MVP level players or just superstars until they ask out, but Philly definitely isn’t at the end of retooling to the point where you give up. Especially, when Maxey actually took the developmental step that so many said he would..
BarbaGrizz
Analyst
And1: 1,569

Post#46 » by BarbaGrizz » Sat May 4, 2024 1:21 am

Morant for Embiid who says no?
Celtic Koala wrote:The only player from the 90s that would have been a top 10 player in the modern league would have been MJ and if you stretch it a bit Olajuwon

bstein14 wrote:Mikan is much worse than Luka Garza, who can't even make an NBA roster today
Ell Curry
Head Coach
And1: 1,741

Post#47 » by Ell Curry » Sat May 4, 2024 2:32 am

Come draft day, if the right guys falls, I think the Raptors might do Bruce Brown and #19 for #16 and a 2nd rounder, sort of a plan D type thing for Philly that leaves them some room if they move picks for say Lauri Markkanen and end up with a Maxey-Brown-Lauri-Embiid starting lineup and one of Batum or Oubre at the 3 I guess.
Where's the D?
giberish
RealGM
And1: 5,895

Post#48 » by giberish » Sat May 4, 2024 2:36 am

Ell Curry wrote:Come draft day, if the right guys falls, I think the Raptors might do Bruce Brown and #19 for #16 and a 2nd rounder, sort of a plan D type thing for Philly that leaves them some room if they move picks for say Lauri Markkanen and end up with a Maxey-Brown-Lauri-Embiid starting lineup and one of Batum or Oubre at the 3 I guess.

Tough to see Brown as more valuable than his salary.

Impossible to see it for Philly before free agency even starts.
Ell Curry
Head Coach
And1: 1,741

Post#49 » by Ell Curry » Sat May 4, 2024 2:38 am

giberish wrote:
Ell Curry wrote:Come draft day, if the right guys falls, I think the Raptors might do Bruce Brown and #19 for #16 and a 2nd rounder, sort of a plan D type thing for Philly that leaves them some room if they move picks for say Lauri Markkanen and end up with a Maxey-Brown-Lauri-Embiid starting lineup and one of Batum or Oubre at the 3 I guess.

Right, the timing makes it unlikely. Same deal with a pick swap and the Philly pick being protected in that pick swap (say top 10) might still work as a plan D if Philly strikes out. He does make some sense as the main defensive guard if their rotation is Maxey-Brown-Hield-Oubre/Batum-shooting PF-Embiid-Reed
Where's the D?
Clav
Starter
And1: 1,804

Post#50 » by Clav » Sat May 4, 2024 2:50 am

Get PG and keep Oubre

Let Harris go ANYWHERE else

retain Maxey at all costs

Cut dead weight from the roster that isn't helping them
Cheers
\m/
:guitar:
giberish
RealGM
And1: 5,895

Post#51 » by giberish » Sat May 4, 2024 4:38 am

Ell Curry wrote:
giberish wrote:

Right, the timing makes it unlikely. Same deal with a pick swap and the Philly pick being protected in that pick swap (say top 10) might still work as a plan D if Philly strikes out. He does make some sense as the main defensive guard if their rotation is Maxey-Brown-Hield-Oubre/Batum-shooting PF-Embiid-Reed

I find it odd that Raptor fans are so obsessed with the idea that Brown has positive trade value - that is that teams would add and asset to turn him cap space to add him on his contract.

He's a useful rotation player, but an overpaid useful rotation player. He was deliberately overpaid by Indy in exchange for the salary flexibility. Then he was traded as EC filler.

If he's a FA (and he should be, Toronto should decline the TO), then I could see Philly adding him for MLEish money (depending greatly on what else happens). They should have better options for $22M.
Peak Brunson
Ballboy
And1: 2

Post#52 » by Peak Brunson » Sat May 4, 2024 12:43 pm

They were adamant the process was about not being in the treadmill anymore, that's exactly where they are now, I think they should trade Embiid for the best package they can of either a star or almost superstar, or a very healthy package of picks and players. Maxey is still very young, there is a huge window there, Embiid is just too unreliable and is bad at end of games to ever win anything, at least with a team as currently constructed as Sixers, he needs to go to a team with a lot of offense and where he can afford to play less minutes.
GutUNC
Assistant Coach
And1: 2,036

Post#53 » by GutUNC » Sat May 4, 2024 6:58 pm

BarbaGrizz wrote:Morant for Embiid who says no?

I love Ja but the team with Maxey isn't the right place for him.
GDTBATH
NYG
RealGM
And1: 2,663

Post#54 » by NYG » Sat May 4, 2024 7:02 pm

Who are a few role player free agents that fit nicely with Maxey and Embiid if they miss out on a big trade, Paul George or DeMar DeRozan?
NYG
RealGM
And1: 2,663

Post#55 » by NYG » Sun May 5, 2024 3:01 am

What about if they strike out...

Draft a wing at 16

2026 Lowest of Rockets/Clippers/Thunder/76ers First Round Draft Pick and 2028 Top 10 Protected Philly 1st (becomes 2031 2nd if not conveyed) for Kyle Kuzma

Sign Bruce Brown and Kyle Anderson each around the non-tax MLE

Re-sign Oubre with the remaining $8.3 Million in cap space

Re-sign Batum using the cap MLE

Re-sign Lowry to the minimum

Re-sign Maxey after to the MAX

Embiid/Reed
Kuzma/Batum
Anderson/16th Overall
Oubre/Brown
Maxey/Lowry
vxmike
Head Coach
And1: 4,052

Post#56 » by vxmike » Sun May 5, 2024 7:57 am

Billl wrote:What will they do? Probably go all out trying to bring in a 3rd star.

What should they do? Target solid 3 and D guys for the 2-4 slots. When you have 2 guys who can average 60 ppg combined, you don't need another big time scorer. You need guys who will do the dirty work, play defense, and shoot at a high level.

This. Going for DeRozan as the third scorer who cost a lot less than a guy like PG makes more sense. They can afford DDR plus a couple nice role players.
vxmike
Head Coach
And1: 4,052

Post#57 » by vxmike » Sun May 5, 2024 7:58 am

gswhoops wrote:
NYG wrote:
JustBuzzin wrote:Swing for PG in FA.

If you can't get him you should probably trade Embiid and start building around Maxey. Feels like the Embiid era is over with his injury history and age.

Where does Embiid make sense? What is even his value right now?

I mean, GS would definitely empty the clip for Embiid.

CP3/GP2 (expiring filler) + Kuminga + Podz + 2 firsts + 4 swaps for Embiid

Embiid/TJD/Looney
Draymond
Wiggins
Klay/Moody
Curry

Fill out the rest of the roster with vet min ring chasers.

Is that enough to get him? Probably not. But it's at least one offer you have to beat.

Probably the 25 teams that can beat that offer do beat that offer.
Showtime:Part2
General Manager
And1: 495

Post#58 » by Showtime:Part2 » Sun May 5, 2024 8:27 am

I was at game 6 in Philly. Embiid played on one leg and if I had to bet money on it was out there on some pretty fun painkillers lol. The guy is a great player. But a big man w meniscus issues and degenerative knees…. You gotta trade him now. He’s going to fall off a cliff any minute with knees like those. It’s one thing if it’s just a history w acl, but meniscus issues are really a dagger. You can’t fix them. Philly will never trade him, but it’s what needs to be done
Warspite:

Prince + filler for Kobe Bryant
To be honest the way Prince has played and with Kobes injury/age/mileage Im not sure I would do that deal either. Still Prince is more important and he wins the head to head battles with Kobe.
ProcessDoctor
RealGM
And1: 5,263

Post#59 » by ProcessDoctor » Sun May 5, 2024 2:01 pm

Free agent targets: LeBron, George, Anunoby, Siakam

Trade targets: Markkanen, Mitchell, Ingram, Butler

Morey will acquire one of the above and use the rest of the cap space and/or picks to round out the roster.
2023-2024 Philadelphia 76ers:

Lowry/Payne/Downtin
Maxey/Melton/Hield
Oubre/Batum/Council
Harris/Covington/Martin
Embiid/Reed/Bamba

Return to Trades and Transactions