Great Eastern Trade: Miami-Chicago-Orlando-Cleveland

Moderators: loserX, Andre Roberstan, HartfordWhalers, BullyKing, Texas Chuck, MoneyTalks41890, Mamba4Goat, pacers33granger, Trader_Joe

_GH0ST_
Junior
And1: 495

Great Eastern Trade: Miami-Chicago-Orlando-Cleveland 

Post#1 » by _GH0ST_ » Fri May 3, 2024 10:19 am

Miami in: Donovan Mitchell and Alex Caruso
Miami out: Terry Rozier, Tyler Herro, JJJ, Nikola Jovic, Duncan Robinson, #15, #43 and 2029 FRP

Cleveland in: Tyler Herro, JJJ, Nikola Jovic, #15, and 2029 Heat FRP
Cleveland out: Donovan Mitchell

Orlando in: Terry Rozier
Orlando out: #18, #47, and 2025 Second

Chicago in: Duncan Robinson, #18, #43, #47 and 2025 Magic Second
Chicago out: Alex Caruso

Why for Miami: Get a real star and get a suitable partner for him in the backcourt.

Why for Cleveland: It looks like Donovan won't re-sign. Can either trade or use this young and talented group. 2029 FRP may be valuable.

Why for Orlando: I really like this trade for Orlando. Scary Terry will provide offensive diversity to Orlando's backcourt. These picks seem expendable for Orlando, which has tons of young talent and has already established its core.

Why for Chicago: It's long past time for Chicago to get out of the loop. A useful package for Caruso.
tiderulz
RealGM
And1: 14,172

Re: Great Eastern Trade: Miami-Chicago-Orlando-Cleveland 

Post#2 » by tiderulz » Fri May 3, 2024 11:34 am

bwahaha, no, Orlando doesnt want Rozier. and some big extensions are coming soon, they need to keep picks to be able to add players when they get capped.
BK_2020
RealGM
And1: 14,548

Post#3 » by BK_2020 » Fri May 3, 2024 11:42 am

Cleveland can surely do better than Miami's cap problems + couple bad picks + 23 year old rookie.
Also, are you Pat Riley?
_GH0ST_
Junior

Post#4 » by _GH0ST_ » Fri May 3, 2024 12:13 pm

BK_2020 wrote:Cleveland can surely do better than Miami's cap problems + couple bad picks + 23 year old rookie.
Also, are you Pat Riley?

I don't understand what some people here have a problem with JJJ's age. Butler was also drafted at the same age. He had a solid rookie season. Just because he had a bit of a dip in form after being injured doesn't change the fact that he is a solid rookie. Moreover, he will play for the minimum until he is 26 years old.
Skybox
RealGM
And1: 5,811

Post#5 » by Skybox » Fri May 3, 2024 12:14 pm

I don’t think CLE will have much better offers than this…JJJ and Jovic are not throw-ins. Mitchell would be such a flight risk for many teams that they’ll be unlikely to throw a big offer…I think MIA is one of a few that could/should.

From ORL side- no thanks on Rozier, but I’d add a first to make it Herro instead…not sure where that leaves CLE though. Bigger better…it’s clear that CLEs two bigs are individually top talents but not ideal together…ORL adds WCJ, Anthony Black, and another frp and gets Herro and Jarrett Allen to the OP. CLE ups their defensive identity and gets a better fitting big next to Mobley, along with significant draft equity and salary flexibility for another move. I think Garland is ready to blow up and CLE FO is low-key hoping Mitchell will force their hand into a move…CLE’s talent is exceptional, but poorly matched among their 4 best players.
_GH0ST_
Junior

Post#6 » by _GH0ST_ » Fri May 3, 2024 12:16 pm

tiderulz wrote:bwahaha, no, Orlando doesnt want Rozier. and some big extensions are coming soon, they need to keep picks to be able to add players when they get capped.

Rozier is under contract for 2 more seasons and his contract can easily be traded. No. 18 in a trash class and two second-round picks. Orlando is buying him at a bargain price and could easily trade him if he fails.
Skybox
RealGM

Post#7 » by Skybox » Fri May 3, 2024 12:22 pm

_GH0ST_ wrote:
tiderulz wrote:bwahaha, no, Orlando doesnt want Rozier. and some big extensions are coming soon, they need to keep picks to be able to add players when they get capped.

Rozier is under contract for 2 more seasons and his contract can easily be traded. No. 18 in a trash class and two second-round picks. Orlando is buying him at a bargain price and could easily trade him if he fails.

ORL is at an important crossroads this summer…VERY young team on the rise, tons of cap space, extra firsts, and a glaring need. ZERO reason, imo, for them to settle for Rozier, regardless of price. They should pay more and aim higher this summer…before all of the flexibility goes away with the looming extensions. Rozier would be an upgrade, but they can do much better
_GH0ST_
Junior

Post#8 » by _GH0ST_ » Fri May 3, 2024 12:32 pm

Skybox wrote:I don’t think CLE will have much better offers than this…JJJ and Jovic are not throw-ins. Mitchell would be such a flight risk for many teams that they’ll be unlikely to throw a big offer…I think MIA is one of a few that could/should.

From ORL side- no thanks on Rozier, but I’d add a first to make it Herro instead…not sure where that leaves CLE though. Bigger better…it’s clear that CLEs two bigs are individually top talents but not ideal together…ORL adds WCJ, Anthony Black, and another frp and gets Herro and Jarrett Allen to the OP. CLE ups their defensive identity and gets a better fitting big next to Mobley, along with significant draft equity and salary flexibility for another move. I think Garland is ready to blow up and CLE FO is low-key hoping Mitchell will force their hand into a move…CLE’s talent is exceptional, but poorly matched among their 4 best players.

If Orlando chooses Herro over Rozier, I'll probably cut Chicago out of this trade and send the Orlando picks to Cleveland. But wouldn't Herro leave Orlando in a more difficult financial situation? Personally I would prefer Rozier.
Skybox
RealGM

Post#9 » by Skybox » Fri May 3, 2024 12:36 pm

_GH0ST_ wrote:
Skybox wrote:I don’t think CLE will have much better offers than this…JJJ and Jovic are not throw-ins. Mitchell would be such a flight risk for many teams that they’ll be unlikely to throw a big offer…I think MIA is one of a few that could/should.

If Orlando chooses Herro over Rozier, I'll probably cut Chicago out of this trade and send the Orlando picks to Cleveland. But wouldn't Herro leave Orlando in a more difficult financial situation? Personally I would prefer Rozier.

Yes. Herro’s salary would put them in some deep water in a couple of years, but entire core is young and ORL has too much salary on end of the bench. As they become serious contenders, they need to tighten their rotation and strengthen the top 5-7, imo. They can make tough $$ decisions based on results, fit, and ownership with a lot more data, when the time comes.
mcfly1204
General Manager
And1: 1,884

Post#10 » by mcfly1204 » Fri May 3, 2024 12:44 pm

Cleveland would be taking a big step back if they even considered running a Garland/Herro backcourt. Is Cleveland going to have to cut anyone after making a 3 for 1 deal here?
Well at least we're not Detroit!
jbk1234
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 32,597

Post#11 » by jbk1234 » Fri May 3, 2024 1:09 pm

Herro needed to have a good series for anything like this to be possible. He did not. He's a sixth man who's overpaid for the role.

Also, the Heat are in the same conference and there's some history between Gilbert and Riley. The Cavs will be perfectly content watching the Heat's window shut.
cbosh4mvp wrote:
Jarret Allen isn’t winning you anything. Garland won’t show up in the playoffs. Mobley is a glorified dunk man. Mitchell has some experience but is a liability on defense. To me, the Cavs are a treadmill team.
tiderulz
RealGM

Post#12 » by tiderulz » Fri May 3, 2024 1:12 pm

Skybox wrote:
_GH0ST_ wrote:

Yes. Herro’s salary would put them in some deep water in a couple of years, but entire core is young and ORL has too much salary on end of the bench. As they become serious contenders, they need to tighten their rotation and strengthen the top 5-7, imo. They can make tough $$ decisions based on results, fit, and ownership with a lot more data, when the time comes.

Personally, i dont want Herro. he got overpaid too quickly and cant stay healthy.
tidho
General Manager
And1: 3,089

Post#13 » by tidho » Fri May 3, 2024 1:50 pm

Cleveland in: Tyler Herro, JJJ, Nikola Jovic, #15, and 2029 Heat FRP

I think this part alone is one of the more likely scenarios for the offseason, although i don't think CLE gets both Jaquez and Jovic. My guess is Jaquez stays put and there's another pick included.

jbk1234 wrote:Herro needed to have a good series for anything like this to be possible. He did not. He's a sixth man who's overpaid for the role.
Also, the Heat are in the same conference and there's some history between Gilbert and Riley. The Cavs will be perfectly content watching the Heat's window shut.

So did Mitchell.
The Heat window shuts with Butler, Mitchell being there doesn't mean all that much.

mcfly1204 wrote:Cleveland would be taking a big step back if they even considered running a Garland/Herro backcourt. Is Cleveland going to have to cut anyone after making a 3 for 1 deal here?

Valid points. Hopefully the knew coach would know this and Herro would be the 6th man. Garland/Herro would be just as bad defensively and Garland/Mitchell, but at least offensively they fit a little bit better and it gets the ball back into Garland's hands as the primary.
As for the roster size, i said above i don't think the 3:1 is likely, but really with the pick this is 4:1 plus we'd have our own 1st too. Not sure if you could move up with picks 15 & 20, but 'worst case' we'd be needing to open four roster spots - Jones, TT, Morris are easy choices. Would guess if they did something this big, it might not be the only deal made.
tidho
General Manager
And1: 3,089

Post#14 » by tidho » Fri May 3, 2024 1:52 pm

dp
jbk1234
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 32,597

Post#15 » by jbk1234 » Fri May 3, 2024 2:14 pm

tidho wrote:Cleveland in: Tyler Herro, JJJ, Nikola Jovic, #15, and 2029 Heat FRP

I think this part alone is one of the more likely scenarios for the offseason, although i don't think CLE gets both Jaquez and Jovic. My guess is Jaquez stays put and there's another pick included.

jbk1234 wrote:Herro needed to have a good series for anything like this to be possible. He did not. He's a sixth man who's overpaid for the role.

So did Mitchell.
The Heat window shuts with Butler, Mitchell being there doesn't mean all that much.

mcfly1204 wrote:Cleveland would be taking a big step back if they even considered running a Garland/Herro backcourt. Is Cleveland going to have to cut anyone after making a 3 for 1 deal here?

Valid points. Hopefully the knew coach would know this and Herro would be the 6th man. Garland/Herro would be just as bad defensively and Garland/Mitchell, but at least offensively they fit a little bit better and it gets the ball back into Garland's hands as the primary.
As for the roster size, i said above i don't think the 3:1 is likely, but really with the pick this is 4:1 plus we'd have our own 1st too. Not sure if you could move up with picks 15 & 20, but 'worst case' we'd be needing to open four roster spots - Jones, TT, Morris are easy choices. Would guess if they did something this big, it might not be the only deal made.

Strus would start in front of Herro. It wouldn't be a particularly close call either. We'd still need a SF and lack the picks required to get one after this. I get that you've hated the Mitchell trade since its inception, but that's no reason to root for a bad return. Also, you would never know that we're currently up 3-2 in our series against the Magic based on some of the sky-is-falling takes around here.
cbosh4mvp wrote:
Jarret Allen isn’t winning you anything. Garland won’t show up in the playoffs. Mobley is a glorified dunk man. Mitchell has some experience but is a liability on defense. To me, the Cavs are a treadmill team.
DowJones
RealGM
And1: 6,849

Post#16 » by DowJones » Fri May 3, 2024 2:14 pm

The other stuff sort of complicates the trade. IMO Mitchell to Miami for Herro, JJJ, 2029 unprotected 1st, and 2031 unprotected 1st is the heart of a Mitchell to Miami deal. After that you can discuss Jovic vs the 15th pick, swaps, etc. I still think the Nets can beat that deal, but this is the type of offer that gets Miami in the game.
ChettheJet
Head Coach
And1: 1,940

Post#17 » by ChettheJet » Fri May 3, 2024 2:22 pm

So every other team hates it.

Not a huge Duncan Robinson fan, at least not as his salary for what he does. He's an example of why you have to see what his role is in the MIA system and how he fills it. He doesn't become a better player when freed of that system, instead his shortcomings get forced to the surface.

That said, if the Bulls could trade Lavine and move on from DeRozan the fact that Robinson's contract could be terminated after a year makes this attractive enough. Robinson comes in off the bench as a backup to Patrick Williams at the SF and gets minutes as a SG who gets up shots behind and with Coby White and Ayo Dosunmu. Maybe he does VERY well in that role and the Bulls pick up that final year or off he goes.

People say it's a weak draft, the Bulls would have to find guys at #11 and #18 who need to split their rookie years between the bench an the G League growing into their game. The 2 2nds would maybe be Euro players who can't come over, and the 2025 pick is who knows but the Bulls have been short on 2nds for a long time
tiderulz
RealGM

Post#18 » by tiderulz » Fri May 3, 2024 2:58 pm

ChettheJet wrote:So every other team hates it.

Not a huge Duncan Robinson fan, at least not as his salary for what he does. He's an example of why you have to see what his role is in the MIA system and how he fills it. He doesn't become a better player when freed of that system, instead his shortcomings get forced to the surface.

That said, if the Bulls could trade Lavine and move on from DeRozan the fact that Robinson's contract could be terminated after a year makes this attractive enough. Robinson comes in off the bench as a backup to Patrick Williams at the SF and gets minutes as a SG who gets up shots behind and with Coby White and Ayo Dosunmu. Maybe he does VERY well in that role and the Bulls pick up that final year or off he goes.

People say it's a weak draft, the Bulls would have to find guys at #11 and #18 who need to split their rookie years between the bench an the G League growing into their game. The 2 2nds would maybe be Euro players who can't come over, and the 2025 pick is who knows but the Bulls have been short on 2nds for a long time

not so sure about that. I saw growth in Robinson's game last year during the playoffs.
hugepatsfan
Head Coach
And1: 6,364

Post#19 » by hugepatsfan » Fri May 3, 2024 4:06 pm

Not really sure what Mitchell's value will be if CLE moves him. My guess would be someone outbids this, but that part of the deal isn't way off, IMO. I don't think ORL values Rozier like this and that takes away Caruso.

But let's say MIA does the Mitchell part of the trade... Herro/Jovic/JJJ/picks for Mitchell. Then, let's say they dump DRob into DET's open cap space.

Trade Rozier and a bunch of 2nds to TOR for Bruce Brown maybe? They don't have a PG on the roster for next year and a scoring option like Rozier could fit next to Barnes as a point forward type.

In the end, I got to the same place as the OP just swapping Caruso out for Brown. Which is a downgrade, but I think OP overstated Rozier's value to get him so that was the tradeoff.
Skybox
RealGM

Post#20 » by Skybox » Fri May 3, 2024 4:24 pm

hugepatsfan wrote:Not really sure what Mitchell's value will be if CLE moves him. My guess would be someone outbids this, but that part of the deal isn't way off, IMO. I don't think ORL values Rozier like this and that takes away Caruso.

But let's say MIA does the Mitchell part of the trade... Herro/Jovic/JJJ/picks for Mitchell. Then, let's say they dump DRob into DET's open cap space.

Trade Rozier and a bunch of 2nds to TOR for Bruce Brown maybe? They don't have a PG on the roster for next year

TOR has Quickley

Return to Trades and Transactions