Harris and Marshall

Moderators: Trader_Joe, loserX, Andre Roberstan, HartfordWhalers, BullyKing, Texas Chuck, MoneyTalks41890, Mamba4Goat, pacers33granger

Texas Chuck
Senior Mod - NBA TnT Forum
And1: 89,738

Re: Harris and Marshall 

Post#41 » by Texas Chuck » Sun May 5, 2024 7:58 pm

Im sorry but to believe Detroit turned down two 1sts for Bojan and instead decided to trade him for one year of Grimes is just saying we have a really stupid front office not a justication for setting a high value on Grimes. At some point reality has to be a thing.
ThunderBolt wrote:I’m going to let some of you in on a little secret I learned on realgm. If you don’t like a thread, not only do you not have to comment but you don’t even have to open it and read it. You’re welcome.
vege
RealGM
And1: 4,302

Post#42 » by vege » Sun May 5, 2024 8:04 pm

Texas Chuck wrote:Im sorry but to believe Detroit turned down two 1sts for Bojan and instead decided to trade him for one year of Grimes is just saying we have a really stupid front office not a justication for setting a high value on Grimes. At some point reality has to be a thing.

I've been saying Detroit have a really stupid FO for 4 years so we agree on that. But they're not going to donate Grimes a few months after paying all they did to acquire him, even tho they did donate Monte Morris for absolutely nothing to Minny (again, stupid/inept FO).

When we traded for Grimes, I said I like the player, but the price we paid was absurd, and a Detroit mod LoLed on my post, but months later I still mantain what I said. I like Grimes and his skillset, but if you think we turned down 2 1sts for Bojan (and he is a very good player, it's a shame he is injured), and Detroit paid 20 million in raw cap space for Burks + a bad 2nd, and Detroit gave up both for Grimes and a bad 2nd or 2, that's insane.
Texas Chuck
And1: 89,738

Post#43 » by Texas Chuck » Sun May 5, 2024 8:08 pm

I'm not asking Detroit to give up Grimes for what I am willing to pay. I'm only willing to pay his actual value which can't be more than the good TOR 2nd Dallas owns and another one.

And I totally understand your position of wanting to keep Grimes and test him for a year rather than taking that. That part is reasonable.

But I'm not at all buying that a team made a legit offer of 2 firsts they rejected to trade him for Grimes instead. Anyone giving up 2 firsts worth of value for one year of Grimes......

I think they held on too long, found a soft market for Bojan, thought Grimes worth a flier and made a reasonable deal.
ThunderBolt wrote:I’m going to let some of you in on a little secret I learned on realgm. If you don’t like a thread, not only do you not have to comment but you don’t even have to open it and read it. You’re welcome.
vege
RealGM

Post#44 » by vege » Sun May 5, 2024 8:12 pm

Texas Chuck wrote:I'm not asking Detroit to give up Grimes for what I am willing to pay. I'm only willing to pay his actual value which can't be more than the good TOR 2nd Dallas owns and another one.

When he was in NY I said that was his value, and imo that was Burks value as well, maybe Grimes was worth a mid 2nd more than Burks, so we agree on his value, but Detroit is not going to trade him for that, because they paid a lot more than that to acquire him.
Godaddycurse
RealGM
And1: 10,456

Post#45 » by Godaddycurse » Sun May 5, 2024 8:59 pm

vege wrote:
Godaddycurse wrote:
Texas Chuck wrote:Detroit gave up Bojan/Burks for Grimes/expiring fluff. And since its important to Vege to play the sunk cost game, its basically Olynyk for Grimes.

Not sure that's a lot. But that's also totally irrelevant. If Detroit sees him as a core piece(I have no idea but going with Vege here) then just keep him.

But in terms of just value THJ/Prosper/projected high 2nd next year for Grimes feels like an overpay by Dallas already. jay is willing to do that and I get his logic. I'm just not a believer in Grimes really so I'd rather Detroit kept him at those prices.

And if I was offering on him, I'd leave THJ out of it(at least on this board where THJ is the new Dwight Powell in terms of he's still valued as if he's a guy who can't play at all starting his 4 year deal instead of being at the end of it) and find out what the price is on just Grimes. But anything beyond a couple 2nds and I'm out.

I think prosper for grimes makes sense

Detroit should be done acquiring underwhelming raw prospects, they need real NBA player. Grimes is at least 3-4 years ahead of Prosper in his development, and has a much more desirable skillset, so no, it doesn't make any sense at all for Detroit, for Dallas of course it does.

I think it makes sense because Detroit lacks depth at 3/4. I also want then to get FA like KCP/Derozan which would further eat up grimes minutes
vege
RealGM

Post#46 » by vege » Sun May 5, 2024 10:09 pm

Godaddycurse wrote:
vege wrote:
Godaddycurse wrote:
I think prosper for grimes makes sense

Detroit should be done acquiring underwhelming raw prospects, they need real NBA player. Grimes is at least 3-4 years ahead of Prosper in his development, and has a much more desirable skillset, so no, it doesn't make any sense at all for Detroit, for Dallas of course it does.

I think it makes sense because Detroit lacks depth at 3/4.

We have Ausar/Fontecchio and Stewart can play some minutes there (4), and so can Grimes (3). More than depth, it's important to think about the skillset. We need shooters that can defend. Prosper can't do either. We tried to develop a bunch of raw athlets (Diallo and Josh Jackson for example) we can't afford to do that anymore, and for sure we can't afford to let a good defender who in threory can shoot 3's in order to try to develop one of those guys, especially with Ivey/Ausar/Duren still on the roster. It makes 0 sense.

Regardless of position or value, Grimes does a lot more for us than Prosper. Detroit is going to build around Cade, so forget about position and think about skillset. Defense and Shooting/spacing. Passing is also desirable because of Monty's system.

Return to Trades and Transactions