Garland for LeBron

Moderators: Trader_Joe, loserX, Andre Roberstan, HartfordWhalers, BullyKing, Texas Chuck, MoneyTalks41890, Mamba4Goat, pacers33granger

zimpy27
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 37,378

Garland for LeBron 

Post#1 » by zimpy27 » Sat May 4, 2024 1:05 am

Cavs get LeBron (opt in and extend)
Mitchell, Strus, LeBron, Mobley, Allen -- LeVert, Merrill, Okoro, Wade
Cavs are worried about losing Mitchell (their best player), they work out with Mitchell that he'd love to play with LeBron (grew up a idolizing LeBron). So they make this trade and the fit actually works quite well now that LeBron has improved his outside shooting and isn't looking to drive in the half court much anymore.

Lakers get Garland, Niang
Garland, Reaves, Vando, Rui, Davis -- Vincent, Christie, Prince, Niang, Hayes
Lakers get a young long-term backcourt along with Davis and look to improve with draft capital trades when an option pops up.
"Let's play some basketball!" - Fergie
babyjax13
RealGM
And1: 14,433

Re: Garland for LeBron 

Post#2 » by babyjax13 » Sat May 4, 2024 1:47 am

I like this idea more than Mitchell for LeBron, especially if Mitchell agrees to extend if they get LeBron. He is at his best at point guard and still has not gotten the chance to be on a team where he is the lead guard.

JazzMatt13 wrote:just because I think aliens probably have to do with JFK, doesn't mean my theory that Jazz will never get Wiggins, isn't true.

JColl
HornetJail
RealGM
And1: 12,585

Post#3 » by HornetJail » Sat May 4, 2024 1:52 am

Cavs fans hate it, but realistically LeBron is still better than Garland will ever be. If you want to convince Mitchell to re-sign and that you're serious about winning, this is how you do it.

I think maybe you could extort Reaves out of this given LeBron's age, but I really don't think it's necessary at all.
formerly KEMBAtheMETEOR
DowJones
RealGM
And1: 6,840

Post#4 » by DowJones » Sat May 4, 2024 2:01 am

If you are LeBron and you want to go back to Cleveland, why would you not force your way to the point where LA must accept an Allen/LeVert trade? I would imagine LeBron would rather run with Garland. All LeBron has to do is tell LA they lose him for nothing to Philly or wherever unless they trade him "back home".
zimpy27
Forum Mod
Forum Mod

Post#5 » by zimpy27 » Sat May 4, 2024 2:11 am

DowJones wrote:If you are LeBron and you want to go back to Cleveland, why would you not force your way to the point where LA must accept an Allen/LeVert trade? I would imagine LeBron would rather run with Garland. All LeBron has to do is tell LA they lose him for nothing to Philly or wherever unless they trade him "back home".

Is Garland going to win you more games than Allen for the few years that LeBron is there?
toooskies
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,728

Post#6 » by toooskies » Sat May 4, 2024 2:24 am

I know I sort of suggested this as the framework of a deal in the Mitchell thread, but I also mentioned that I don't think the Lakers have quite this much leverage.

But they also wouldn't want to add much. So you might have to add another transaction on the side.
jbk1234
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 32,574

Post#7 » by jbk1234 » Sat May 4, 2024 2:41 am

We've lost both playoff games where Mitchell has taken more than 35 shots. I don't run the Cavs, but I'd fire Altman if he came to me with this.
cbosh4mvp wrote:
Jarret Allen isn’t winning you anything. Garland won’t show up in the playoffs. Mobley is a glorified dunk man. Mitchell has some experience but is a liability on defense. To me, the Cavs are a treadmill team.
DowJones
RealGM

Post#8 » by DowJones » Sat May 4, 2024 2:46 am

zimpy27 wrote:
DowJones wrote:If you are LeBron and you want to go back to Cleveland, why would you not force your way to the point where LA must accept an Allen/LeVert trade? I would imagine LeBron would rather run with Garland. All LeBron has to do is tell LA they lose him for nothing to Philly or wherever unless they trade him "back home".

Is Garland going to win you more games than Allen for the few years that LeBron is there?

Absolutely. I value spacing and perimeter scoring. I think Allen and Mobley would clog the lane for LeBron and Mitchell.
zimpy27
Forum Mod
Forum Mod

Post#9 » by zimpy27 » Sat May 4, 2024 2:48 am

jbk1234 wrote:We've lost both playoff games where Mitchell has taken more than 35 shots. I don't run the Cavs, but I'd fire Altman if he came to me with this.

Thats a wild thing to be down on Mitchell for.

Today Cavs lost but Mitchell has 50 points on 64.7% TS, while the rest of the Cavs had 46 points on 44% TS.
jbk1234
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#10 » by jbk1234 » Sat May 4, 2024 3:02 am

zimpy27 wrote:
jbk1234 wrote:We've lost both playoff games where Mitchell has taken more than 35 shots. I don't run the Cavs, but I'd fire Altman if he came to me with this.

Today Cavs lost but Mitchell has 50 points on 64.7% TS, while the rest of the Cavs had 46 points on 44% TS.

Huh, what was Garland's TS% tonight? Must have been pretty bad. How about assists? Steals? Rebounds? Turnovers?

The Cavs were up 5 entering the the fourth quarter. The Cavs scored 18 points in the entire 4th quarter. Mitchell scored 18 points in the 4th quarter. Before the two second mark, only Mobley and Morris attempted shots for the Cavs in the 4th quarter. That's it. Mitchell took the rest of the shots.

If Allen is healthy for Sunday, the Cavs are winning this series and it won't be because Mitchell scored 50.
cbosh4mvp wrote:
Jarret Allen isn’t winning you anything. Garland won’t show up in the playoffs. Mobley is a glorified dunk man. Mitchell has some experience but is a liability on defense. To me, the Cavs are a treadmill team.
DowJones
RealGM

Post#11 » by DowJones » Sat May 4, 2024 12:42 pm

jbk1234 wrote:
zimpy27 wrote:

Huh, what was Garland's TS% tonight? Must have been pretty bad. How about assists? Steals? Rebounds? Turnovers?

The Cavs were up 5 entering the the fourth quarter. The Cavs scored 18 points in the entire 4th quarter. Mitchell scored 18 points in the 4th quarter. Before the two second mark, only Mobley and Morris attempted shots for the Cavs in the 4th quarter. That's it. Mitchell took the rest of the shots.

If Allen is healthy for Sunday, the Cavs are winning this series and it won't be because Mitchell scored 50.

There is failure all around and it starts with the offensive scheme that saw Cleveland just go iso-heavy with Mitchell.

1. Cleveland's terrible offensive execution/movement
2. The 4 other Cavaliers shying away from the moment
3. Donovan Mitchell dominating the ball

Those are the 3 reasons why Cleveland's 4th quarter offense was so bad and I put most of the blame on #1 and #2.
jbk1234
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#12 » by jbk1234 » Sat May 4, 2024 1:30 pm

DowJones wrote:
jbk1234 wrote:
zimpy27 wrote:

There is failure all around and it starts with the offensive scheme that saw Cleveland just go iso-heavy with Mitchell.

1. Cleveland's terrible offensive execution/movement
2. The 4 other Cavaliers shying away from the moment
3. Donovan Mitchell dominating the ball

Those are the 3 reasons why Cleveland's 4th quarter offense was so bad and I put most of the blame on #1 and #2.

I saw Okoro pass up an open look, but other than that, I didn't see a lot of missed opportunities on the part of Mitchell's teammates. I saw an absence of opportunities.

The 8 second call was an unforced error (even if the shot clock started awfully quickly off a missed free throw). Strus leaking out before we secured the defensive rebound cost us when he couldn't get back in time to contest. But what really cost us, more so than the Magic getting 29 free throws again, was not having 5 guys making sure we secured the defensive rebound with both Allen and Wade out.

I mean TT and Morris probably won't be in the NBA next season and Niang should rarely see the floor in the playoffs. If Garland can grab six defensive rebounds and get his body on much taller players in the 4th, so can everyone else. We needed all 5 guys rebounding last night. We didn't get it.

You're already at a disadvantage defensively giving up all that size at multiple positions, you can't give the Magic extra attempts on top of it. Especially in the 4th quarter.
cbosh4mvp wrote:
Mr Loggins
Assistant Coach
And1: 2,428

Post#13 » by Mr Loggins » Mon May 6, 2024 8:36 pm

If LeBron opted out, what type of contracts could Cleveland offer him? Can they use a MLE again?

It seems if he wanted to go back to Cleveland, he'd rather do it in a way that doesn't sacrifice Garland
jbk1234
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#14 » by jbk1234 » Mon May 6, 2024 8:54 pm

Mr Loggins wrote:If LeBron opted out, what type of contracts could Cleveland offer him? Can they use a MLE again?

It seems if he wanted to go back to Cleveland, he'd rather do it in a way that doesn't sacrifice Garland

This is the biggest thing. If LBJ wants to come back to Cleveland he can do it without the Lakers cooperation. If LBJ doesn't want to come back to Cleveland, then the Cavs have absolutely no business trading for him. If he's open to it, but would like something between the MLE and a max salary, then there's a conversation to be had, but it's not going to involve any of the Cavs core pieces.
cbosh4mvp wrote:
HornetJail
RealGM

Post#15 » by HornetJail » Mon May 6, 2024 9:03 pm

Mr Loggins wrote:If LeBron opted out, what type of contracts could Cleveland offer him? Can they use a MLE again?

if he opts out, he's not going there because he's not turning down $51.4M for the $12-13M MLE.
formerly KEMBAtheMETEOR
HornetJail
RealGM

Post#16 » by HornetJail » Mon May 6, 2024 9:05 pm

I mean, I guess he can go the S&T route and they just have to send out salary matching like LeVert + Strus + Niang + Wade, but they then do not have a bench worth anything... and even that isn't actually enough salary
formerly KEMBAtheMETEOR
toooskies
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,728

Post#17 » by toooskies » Tue May 7, 2024 4:27 pm

HornetJail wrote:I mean, I guess he can go the S&T route and they just have to send out salary matching like LeVert + Strus + Niang + Wade, but they then do not have a bench worth anything... and even that isn't actually enough salary

LeVert/Strus/Niang/Jerome is enough for matching purposes at the supermax level.

Losing Niang and Jerome for literally nothing is fine and turning Strus/LeVert/#20 into LeBron is a no-brainer.

This doesn't hit the bench too badly as the Cavs still have three ballhandlers in Garland/Mitchell/LeBron to run the point, lets Merrill get minutes at guard and Okoro and Wade fill a theoretical top 8. Then you find a backup big and a few ring chasers to fill minutes/injury insurance and you expect one or two of CPJ, Bates, Travers, Isaiah Mobley, or Pete Nance are ready to contribute a few minutes.

Return to Trades and Transactions