Vague PHX-BRK-HOU Concept

Moderators: Trader_Joe, loserX, Andre Roberstan, HartfordWhalers, BullyKing, Texas Chuck, MoneyTalks41890, Mamba4Goat, pacers33granger

shrink
RealGM
And1: 15,173

Vague PHX-BRK-HOU Concept 

Post#1 » by shrink » Sat May 4, 2024 1:43 am

PHX trades Durant to HOU for all the BRK picks, then trades those picks to BRK for all the PHX picks back.

WHY? With their own picks, BRK and PHX can start rebuilds and control more of their own destiny. Maybe trade Booker elsewhere?

Worth fleshing out?
Colbinii
RealGM
And1: 20,186

Re: Vague PHX-BRK-HOU Concept 

Post#2 » by Colbinii » Sat May 4, 2024 1:45 am

So they just take the L on Bridges/Cam value?

I don't see Phoenix rebuilding. They retool another year.
tsherkin wrote:Locked due to absence of adult conversation.

penbeast0 wrote:Guys, if you don't have anything to say, don't post.

Circa 2018
E-Balla wrote:LeBron is Jeff George.

Circa 2022
G35 wrote:Lebron is not that far off from WB in trade value.
shrink
RealGM

Post#3 » by shrink » Sat May 4, 2024 1:52 am

Colbinii wrote:So they just take the L on Bridges/Cam value?

I don't see Phoenix rebuilding. They retool another year.

Well, they got a year of Durant, and one shot at contending. But yeah, I am trying to decide whether it’s such a crazy idea that it isn’t worth dying to balance it out with specific players/value. But that’s the concept. Broadly, picks have more value to their own team because they have a little control of what they are worth.

I think whether PHX rebuilds or retools depends on whether Booker wants to stay. But they could retool with the picks/return from Durant. Having their own picks just gives them the option (and a retool makes it a good deal for BRK, who could rebuild and have better value on the picks.
ThatBoyNick
Assistant Coach
And1: 3,454

Post#4 » by ThatBoyNick » Sat May 4, 2024 2:12 am

Houston's target needs to be Booker, unless Durant is coming oddly cheap, I don't see what Houston would be doing mortgaging the future for a 36 year old

Jalen, Amen, Whitmore, BKN picks (#12, BKN '25 1st, BKN '27 1st), fillers (Landale/Jeff)

For

Booker

PHX skips on tanking for their own prospects and takes Houston's backcourt bundle, along with control over the BKN picks instead (which could come in handy down the line in a future trade). Move KD for additional value, and try to rehab Beals while running him with the young guys.

Hou gets an age-appropriate star to pair with Sengun & FVV
LarsV8
General Manager
And1: 3,942

Post#5 » by LarsV8 » Sat May 4, 2024 2:43 am

ThatBoyNick wrote:Jalen, Amen, Whitmore, BKN picks (#12, '25 swap, '26 1st, '27 swap), fillers (Landale/Jeff)

Insanity.
ThatBoyNick
Assistant Coach
And1: 3,454

Post#6 » by ThatBoyNick » Sat May 4, 2024 3:17 am

LarsV8 wrote:
ThatBoyNick wrote:Jalen, Amen, Whitmore, BKN picks (#12, '25 swap, '26 1st, '27 swap), fillers (Landale/Jeff)

Insanity.

If it's less that's cool... A top 15 player at 27 without major health problems, without major holes in his game, who performs in the playoffs, locked in for 4 years isn't going to be cheap I imagine.

Now that I'm looking at it again, I'm not sure how the swaps could be sent given they don't have 1sts those years. So that proposal is illegal anyways.

Perhaps removing the BKN UNP 2026 1st makes it legal, as we could send the 2025 and 2027 swap picks outright as "best of" picks on draft night?
shrink
RealGM

Post#7 » by shrink » Sat May 4, 2024 3:23 am

ThatBoyNick wrote:Houston's target needs to be Booker, unless Durant is coming oddly cheap, I don't see what Houston would be doing mortgaging the future for a 36 year old

It could be either PHX star, though trading Booker to HOU means trading KD elsewhere, insuring the rebuild.
Slim Charless
RealGM
And1: 6,303

Post#8 » by Slim Charless » Sat May 4, 2024 4:36 am

shrink wrote:
ThatBoyNick wrote:Houston's target needs to be Booker, unless Durant is coming oddly cheap, I don't see what Houston would be doing mortgaging the future for a 36 year old

It could be either PHX star, though trading Booker to HOU means trading KD elsewhere, insuring the rebuild.

I disagree. Depending on what the return is, a team can be built around KD+Beal. HOU can give a number of assests that can fit with those 2. The Booker trade would reap massive results in things coming back so I think we'd be fine.
jredsaz
General Manager
And1: 2,803

Post#9 » by jredsaz » Sat May 4, 2024 4:42 am

shrink wrote:PHX trades Durant to HOU for all the BRK picks, then trades those picks to BRK for all the PHX picks back.

WHY? With their own picks, BRK and PHX can start rebuilds and control more of their own destiny. Maybe trade Booker elsewhere?

Worth fleshing out?

Phoenix definitely isn’t taking that kind of step back and as much as I’d hope they would look to move Durant for depth and picks, Ishbia is running this thing back. Mavs and Wolves last year to this year is what he will reference. To be fair if they can somehow figure out how to turn the 24 and 31 picks (can’t believe I’m saying that :lol: ) into 2/3 rotation players with size and that can defend, maybe a Dallas type turnaround is t out of the question.
jredsaz
General Manager
And1: 2,803

Post#10 » by jredsaz » Sat May 4, 2024 4:44 am

Slim Charless wrote:
shrink wrote:

I disagree. Depending on what the return is, a team can be built around KD+Beal. HOU can give a number of assests that can fit with those 2. The Booker trade would reap massive results in things coming back so I think we'd be fine.

Booker is off the table imo. At least for the next calendar year.
Kiss of Death
Senior
And1: 828

Post#11 » by Kiss of Death » Sat May 4, 2024 10:21 am

Jalen, Amen, Whitmore, BKN picks (#12, BKN '25 1st, BKN '27 1st), fillers (Landale/Jeff)

For

Booker

PHX skips on tanking for their own prospects and takes Houston's backcourt bundle, along with control over the BKN picks instead (which could come in handy down the line in a future trade). Move KD for additional value, and try to rehab Beals while running him with the young guys.

Hou gets an age-appropriate star to pair with Sengun & FVV

Houston is not trading all of that for Booker.

I cannot believe that people watch multiple NBA teams trade their entire future for one player just to lose in the first round and then are like, 'YESSSSS! LET'S DO THAT TOO!'

As far as Durant, I think Houston would be looking for someone younger.
jayjaysee
King of the Trade Board
And1: 5,653

Post#12 » by jayjaysee » Sat May 4, 2024 10:36 am

Phoenix owes swaps all over. So not really getting their picks back..

Brooklyn likely wants to wait out Mitchell at least before committing to an ugly tank. And then it probably makes sense just to treadmill for two years giving Houston the 8th-12th pick and try for free agency again in 2026.
Slim Charless
RealGM
And1: 6,303

Post#13 » by Slim Charless » Sat May 4, 2024 11:43 pm

jayjaysee wrote:Phoenix owes swaps all over. So not really getting their picks back..

Brooklyn likely wants to wait out Mitchell at least before committing to an ugly tank. And then it probably makes sense just to treadmill for two years giving Houston the 8th-12th pick and try for free agency again in 2026.

I think those Suns picks are heading to CLV, the 2 owners hate each other. If Gilbert has to trade Mitchell, then being able to own Ishbia's drafts for the rest of the decade is a great consolation prize.

I'll actually be a bit surprised if Mitchell is traded any other place other then BRK. Probably would take another team going WAY over the top to get him.
jayjaysee
King of the Trade Board
And1: 5,653

Post#14 » by jayjaysee » Sun May 5, 2024 12:14 am

Slim Charless wrote:
jayjaysee wrote:Phoenix owes swaps all over. So not really getting their picks back..

I think those Suns picks are heading to CLV, the 2 owners hate each other. If Gilbert has to trade Mitchell, then being able to own Ishbia's drafts for the rest of the decade is a great consolation prize.

I'll actually be a bit surprised if Mitchell is traded any other place other than BRK. Probably would take another team going WAY over the top to get him.

I think they’d be okay sitting on the picks for a year. Most people think they need a third team, but I think it could look like Cam/DFS/2 Phoenix firsts/1 other first(not the OKC first) for Mitchell/Niang. Play-in team for a year probably, but active in trades and ready to aggregate in 2025-2026 and stay under the second apron.. Then Gilbert spends real money for as long at is lasts..

But not just sit on the picks..
RollingWave
Sixth Man
And1: 735

Post#15 » by RollingWave » Mon May 6, 2024 3:47 am

I would point out that if the plan is not to trade Booker, it's unlikely that Phoenix tanks all the way to the bottom, so it would actually make more sense for them to get the Brooklyn picks instead of their own picks.

If it's just straight-up Durant for Brooklyn picks and Dillon Brooks / Adams / Tate (roughly the money that'll make it work), the Rockets have to at least entertain it. Yeah Durant ages out in a few years, but by then most of the Rocket's obligation to OKC is also gone and they should have a clear idea what their current 6 guy is or isn't.

I mean even with this trade the Rocket probably arent just "titles or bust" mode, they'll be cool as long as they're like in the playoff race or something. They're still 8+ deep, and Durant isn't really blocking anyone totally (plus he's at an age where it's easier to convince him not play super heavy minutes )

Obviously the Rockets don't HAVE to do this, nor does Phoenix, and given what Ishbia said I doubt something like this would happen unless Durant himself forces it
The river of time wash away all heroes

Return to Trades and Transactions