Cavs / Hawks / Spurs

Moderators: Trader_Joe, loserX, Andre Roberstan, HartfordWhalers, BullyKing, Texas Chuck, MoneyTalks41890, Mamba4Goat, pacers33granger

Threezus
Veteran
And1: 1,623

Re: Cavs / Hawks / Spurs 

Post#21 » by Threezus » Sun May 5, 2024 5:02 am

Im not giving up Jalen Johnson in a trade you can choose someone else. Thats going to end up being the best player on our team when all is said and done. I think he is a future star putting up 25+ 10+ 5+ on avg with good defense. I would be much more willing to give up trae before jalen in a trade.
jbk1234
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 32,574

Post#22 » by jbk1234 » Sun May 5, 2024 5:34 am

wemby wrote:
jbk1234 wrote:
TheBrooklynKidd wrote:
The advanced stats significantly favor Murray this year.

Garland shot .8% better from 3 and had .1 more assists. That’s not a strong basis for the argument of him being better.

Maybe the injury is a factor, but I wouldn’t say it’s “crazy” to say that Murray is better, especially when you consider the defensive end of the court. Murray regressed defensively but his All-Defense season wasn’t a fluke and lead the league in steals 2 years ago.

It's crazy. You're relying on a small and flawed sample size when there are larger ones available.

I'd have Garland as more valuable than Dejounte, but not by much, and certainly not by THIS much (by any stretch of the imagination). In fact I have Jalen Johnson as being more valuable than Garland by a larger margin than Garland is to either Dejounte or Vassell, and I think saying Dejounte is better than Garland is FAR more reasonable than the proposal in this thread.

Look, I think it will be really, really stupid for the Cavs to trade Garland. I think he's going to go on to have an amazing career. I wouldn't trade him period, so we're unlikely to agree on his value.

I would've thought the same thing if the Giannis was healthy, the Bucks won that series, and the Pacers traded Haliburton after he had a down 1/2 season playing through an injury. That's true whether it's the package offered here or any other *overpay* remotely within reason.

True PGs are just too hard to come by and they're pretty important if you want your bigs to reach their potential.
cbosh4mvp wrote:
Jarret Allen isn’t winning you anything. Garland won’t show up in the playoffs. Mobley is a glorified dunk man. Mitchell has some experience but is a liability on defense. To me, the Cavs are a treadmill team.
Texas Chuck
Senior Mod - NBA TnT Forum
Senior Mod - NBA TnT Forum
And1: 89,741

Post#23 » by Texas Chuck » Sun May 5, 2024 2:05 pm

Threezus wrote:Im not giving up Jalen Johnson in a trade you can choose someone else. Thats going to end up being the best player on our team when all is said and done. I think he is a future star putting up 25+ 10+ 5+ on avg with good defense. I would be much more willing to give up trae before jalen in a trade.

If Jalen Johnson is a superstar of this level, sure seems like Atlanta just needs to nibble around the margins and should prepare for a long run as Eastern Contenders. In that case I'd simply look to take the value of Murray and turn into into some defensive wings who can shoot. Then decide which of Capela, OO, Hunter, Bogdan, etc fit and the ones who don't can be used as salary matching in the above as needed.

Hawks should be a really strong position with 2 of the best 5 players in the conference and Giannis' team aging out from under him and real questions about what Embiid's team is going to look like. Only concern would be Boston and they also have some age/injury concerns.

Good time to be a Hawks fan if he can really make that kind of leap.
ThunderBolt wrote:I’m going to let some of you in on a little secret I learned on realgm. If you don’t like a thread, not only do you not have to comment but you don’t even have to open it and read it. You’re welcome.
brackdan70
RealGM
And1: 8,657

Post#24 » by brackdan70 » Sun May 5, 2024 2:25 pm

I can’t see Sam Antonio wanting to get rid of those picks…some home run potential there. I can’t see them trading that package unless they are getting a much better return.
Sign here
azuresou1
Head Coach
And1: 1,076

Post#25 » by azuresou1 » Sun May 5, 2024 2:27 pm

Jalen Johnson to me profiles as the 3rd option on a championship team unless the best player is MVP tier. That's because he excels at being complementary in all facets at the game, but I don't think he has the ball-handling and scoring pressure to be a regular #2 option.

He probably could be good enough to be the 2nd best **player** on a championship team, if the 3rd best player is a great offensive guard.
tidho
General Manager
And1: 3,088

Post#26 » by tidho » Sun May 5, 2024 4:30 pm

Doubt CLE has any interest in moving Garland, and if they did they wouldn't get this much for him.
mg
General Manager
And1: 4,054

Post#27 » by mg » Sun May 5, 2024 5:05 pm

azuresou1 wrote:LMAO at no point in Darius Garland's career has he been worth even half this package

I would argue that Garland is not worth his current contract (5/$197 mil). He's been really disappointing in the playoffs both last year and so far in this current series against Orlando although game 7 is yet to be determined. Maybe he gets back to his former self if not playing with another ball dominant small guard.

Unfortunately it's getting much more difficult for small, slight built guards in this league although playing alongside someone like Wemby could cover alot of deficiencies.

I agree this type of return for Garland is likely not going to happen at this point.
jbk1234
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 32,574

Post#28 » by jbk1234 » Sun May 5, 2024 10:31 pm

mg wrote:
azuresou1 wrote:LMAO at no point in Darius Garland's career has he been worth even half this package

I would argue that Garland is not worth his current contract (5/$197 mil). He's been really disappointing in the playoffs both last year and so far in this current series against Orlando although game 7 is yet to be determined. Maybe he gets back to his former self if not playing with another ball dominant small guard.

Unfortunately it's getting much more difficult for small, slight built guards in this league although playing alongside someone like Wemby could cover alot of deficiencies.

I agree this type of return for Garland is likely not going to happen at this point.

Garland was responsible for the Cavs only post season W last year and he was so good in the 3rd quarter of Game 4, Thibs brought in McBride in the 4th and played a man down on offense. It was the only adjustment outside of his normal rotation Thibs made, and of course JBB had no response to it.

The Magic are a really good defensive team and their game plan until the 4th quarter today was to let Mitchell get his and limit everyone else. Let's see how Garland does against Boston.
cbosh4mvp wrote:
Jarret Allen isn’t winning you anything. Garland won’t show up in the playoffs. Mobley is a glorified dunk man. Mitchell has some experience but is a liability on defense. To me, the Cavs are a treadmill team.
Threezus
Veteran
And1: 1,623

Post#29 » by Threezus » Sun May 5, 2024 11:56 pm

Texas Chuck wrote:
Threezus wrote:Im not giving up Jalen Johnson in a trade you can choose someone else. Thats going to end up being the best player on our team when all is said and done. I think he is a future star putting up 25+ 10+ 5+ on avg with good defense. I would be much more willing to give up trae before jalen in a trade.

If Jalen Johnson is a superstar of this level, sure seems like Atlanta just needs to nibble around the margins and should prepare for a long run as Eastern Contenders. In that case I'd simply look to take the value of Murray and turn into into some defensive wings who can shoot. Then decide which of Capela, OO, Hunter, Bogdan, etc fit and the ones who don't can be used as salary matching in the above as needed.

Hawks should be a really strong position with 2 of the best 5 players in the conference and Giannis' team aging out from under him and real questions about what Embiid's team is going to look like. Only concern would be Boston and they also have some age/injury concerns.

Good time to be a Hawks fan if he can really make that kind of leap.

I hope he can bro i am 100% liking what im seeing so far. He has put together some very impressive games numerous of times already. He put together some really good games towards the end before injury. He had 8 games within a span of like 15 games so about month or so toward the end of the season.

28 points 14 rebounds 11 assists 4 steals and 1 block

25 points 9 rebounds 4 assists 1 block

18 points 12 rebounds 6 assists 3 steals 2 blocks

26 points 5 rebounds 5 assists

26 points 9 rebounds 7 assists 1 steal

22 points 13 rebounds 6 assists 1 steal

21 points 10 rebounds 7 assists 2 blocks 1 steal

25 points 16 rebounds 7 assists 2 blocks 1 steal

He has shown he is very capable of putting those numbers on and he is only 22 and going to get stronger and better imo.

My thing is do i want to trade Trae for a ton of picks and cap space and pair Jalen, Murray, and a 3rd star together that we can hopefully use that massive amount of picks from a trae trade to get. I feel you could build a much more balanced and defensive team with Murray at PG and have alot more ammo to get that 3rd star with what you could trade trae for.

Now if someone thinks we can turn murray into a 3rd star at a different position to add to Trae and Jalen then im all for that too as long as they fit with Trae. I would think a star big would need to be the move there for it to work with Trae. Where as i think you can find another star at multiple positions to work with Murray easier. Plus as said alot more wiggle room if you trade trae in assets and cap space to get that 3rd star.

Return to Trades and Transactions